Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My favorite MWG bullshit vid is non-gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsaqd_2ZU54

In this vid some douchebag goes on for FIVE MINUTES gushing about a paintbrush he never shows himself using, and it's clearly fresh out of the box. When I was shopping for brushes and came upon this it was ridiculously frustrating listening to this idiot just hoping he'd give me some kind of information I could actually use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

hoiyes posted:

Of course it's possible and excusable.

On the other hand, if you're making an X-Wing battle report series and each video has a fairly comprehensive list of errors in the comments then maybe read the manual and the FAQ once or twice? Video 15 and they're putting a turret upgrade on Slave 1...

Also, their tag line is "we play games and call it work" so they seem to be implying a level of professionalism not apparent in their xwing videos.

Edit: for clarity

Fair criticism. I just see no need to make with the name-calling. If they're touting themselves as making content for tournament level play, and are playing like kitchen table casual matches, then they should tighten up their game. I just take exception to the dumb name calling, and the idea that posting a video on youtube means you have to meet some standard. I guess I didn't see it so much as people trying to make a serious competitive level video when the camera work is amateur and they're doing silly barrel rolls with their ships etc, it felt like a very casual oriented video to me. I don't know anything about their company/club/whatever I just thought it was 3 nerds playing X-wangs while doing silly barrel rolls and such.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

signalnoise posted:

My favorite MWG bullshit vid is non-gameplay.

That dude in general is one of their more insufferable people.

Why did The Cooler leave and form his own Youtube channel, anyway? He was at least fun to watch and has opinions that aren't bad.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I have 28 points to spend on this build I've been playing with before:

Vader + Tie X/1 Predator + Engine Upgrade + Advanced Targeting Computer
Soontir + RGT + PTL + Autothrusters + Stealth

I had an Omega Ace in there before with Push the Limit+Engine Upgrade, but he didn't put out a lot of damage.. I'm open to suggestions for a 3rd ship.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 23, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Tekopo posted:

and I still have to correct people that I play in tourneys regularly on very simple rules

ha ha h :suicide:

This seems like an appropriate time to apologize to Strobe again. Sorry, Strobe.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I've only got a couple games under my belt and haven't been able to come up with a decent rebel list yet. I put this list together last night, could I get a critique/suggestions?

Rebel (99)
Etahn A'baht (38)
Elusiveness (2)
R7 Astromech (2)
Fire Control System (2)

Prototype Pilot (15)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Prototype Pilot (15)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Jake Farrell (31)
Push The Limit (3)
Proton Rockets (3)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Veteran Instincts (1)

Do I add Munitions Failsafe to Jake? Keep the extra point for initiative bid? completely change things up?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Fair criticism. I just see no need to make with the name-calling. If they're touting themselves as making content for tournament level play, and are playing like kitchen table casual matches, then they should tighten up their game. I just take exception to the dumb name calling, and the idea that posting a video on youtube means you have to meet some standard. I guess I didn't see it so much as people trying to make a serious competitive level video when the camera work is amateur and they're doing silly barrel rolls with their ships etc, it felt like a very casual oriented video to me. I don't know anything about their company/club/whatever I just thought it was 3 nerds playing X-wangs while doing silly barrel rolls and such.

They're an actual, factual online business with a brick and mortar store. They are (or at least were) deep in with GW and still gush all about them. There's another guy that does the Warhammer Fantasy videos and they screw up rules constantly, both 8th edition and Age of Sigmar. Those videos and these both are used to advertise the games and their business, and they continue to forget, ignore and screw up rules constantly, even after the comments have called them out every time.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

I've only got a couple games under my belt and haven't been able to come up with a decent rebel list yet. I put this list together last night, could I get a critique/suggestions?

Rebel (99)
Etahn A'baht (38)
Elusiveness (2)
R7 Astromech (2)
Fire Control System (2)

Prototype Pilot (15)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Prototype Pilot (15)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Jake Farrell (31)
Push The Limit (3)
Proton Rockets (3)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Veteran Instincts (1)

Do I add Munitions Failsafe to Jake? Keep the extra point for initiative bid? completely change things up?

Jake is not going to miss with proton rockets. You'd probably be better of trying to squeeze in autothrusters but if you don't have the card i'd keep the bid so Jake can beat out other PS9s.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Drone posted:

He was at least fun to watch and has opinions that aren't bad.
Well, there's your answer.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

jassi007 posted:

Do you get like this every time someone on the Something Awful forums calls something or somebody stupid? You must be exhausted.

It's abundantly clear the MWG wants to tout themselves as some sort of informative "professional" games channel and yet they can't be bothered to do things like "read what things actually do." That's a level beyond "well everyone was new once" and I'm gonna call them stupid for that, sorry. There's a qualitative difference between them and someone who just bought a starter pack because he likes to swoosh spaceships.

e; and in the interests of full disclosure, I also don't think anyone should be driving over to challenge these guys to a game just to show them the error of their ways or whatever.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 23, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah they're just selling themselves as reviewers and coming off as LPers

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

MWG suck; don't watch them. There are better batreps on the youtubes.

Moving along...

What do you guys think about Talonbane Cobra? I'm putting together an escalation list for a tournament on Saturday and I've got 40 points that could either fit him with room to spare or Guri. At the moment I'm leaning towards Guri because those Kihraxzes last night that I faced sank so quickly it was ridiculous. And it was against Banana Pirates and a HWK.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

Moving along...

What do you guys think about Talonbane Cobra? I'm putting together an escalation list for a tournament on Saturday and I've got 40 points that could either fit him with room to spare or Guri. At the moment I'm leaning towards Guri because those Kihraxzes last night that I faced sank so quickly it was ridiculous. And it was against Banana Pirates and a HWK.

I think he's fun to mess around with but he's no Wedge...too many points for not enough utility. PS 9 is nice, so are illicit upgrades, but for fully a third of your list he doesn't have the same game-chancing punch of a Wedge or Soontir. Also I'm an unrepentant Starviper fan and will take any excuse to fly one of those, and Guri can be surprisingly hardy with the right upgrades.

CheeseN1P
May 28, 2010

Sometimes you just gotta shake the shy ones loose.

Drone posted:

That dude in general is one of their more insufferable people.

Why did The Cooler leave and form his own Youtube channel, anyway? He was at least fun to watch and has opinions that aren't bad.

pretty sure that his wife needed to move for a job or something dumb.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.

Deviant posted:

So I have 28 points to spend on this build I've been playing with before:

Vader + Tie X/1 Predator + Engine Upgrade + Advanced Targeting Computer
Soontir + RGT + PTL + Autothrusters + Stealth

I had an Omega Ace in there before with Push the Limit+Engine Upgrade, but he didn't put out a lot of damage.. I'm open to suggestions for a 3rd ship.

You don't have a lot of "great" options with 28 points. If you're willing to drop Predator on Vader for Veteran Instincts then that opens you up to a world of possibilities. Then you'd have room for Carnor Jax with VI, RGT, Stealth and Autothrusters or something like a Palpy shuttle if you're into that kind of thing.

However, if you're really married to Predator on Vader (which is understandable), how about a Royal Guard interceptor with VI, RGT, Stealth and Autothrusters? You'd end up at 100 points, so no initiative bid, but you've got two PS9s and an 8 so you're likely to not care most of the time (unless you're up against another Fel or Vader list).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If MWG spent as long reading the rulebook, FAQ or their youtube video comments as they did making that pew pew Combat Maneuvers intro, none of this talk about them being infectiously stupid would be happening.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I figured I would give a super tanky build a shot tonight. Mainly I wanted to fly a K-Wing without bringing a totally turret focused list.

I am kinda hoping this list will be able to survive against a couple of crack shot swarms that have been showing up recently. I was kinda torn on what to put on Poe for an EPT, but some lists are running Vader, Soontir, or Whisper with VI, so I figured ensuring Poe gets to move last would be more helpful than any 2 point EPT I could put on him.

Gemmer Sojan — A-Wing 22
Chardaan Refit -2
Push the Limit 3
Autothrusters 2
A-Wing Test Pilot 0
Ship Total: 25

Miranda Doni — K-Wing 29
Twin Laser Turret 6
Jan Ors 2
Ship Total: 37

Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing 31
Veteran Instincts 1
R5-P9 3
Autothrusters 2
Ship Total: 37

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Endman posted:

Moving along...

I've had good luck with Talonbane with just glitterstim.

If you target lock the turn you plan on using glitterstim his 5 dice can hit like a truck.

If I have a spare point I'll put lightning reflexes him if only just to cheese an extra 5 dice shot.

Take this with a grain of salt as my meta and myself aren't exactly cutthroat.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

You don't have a lot of "great" options with 28 points. If you're willing to drop Predator on Vader for Veteran Instincts then that opens you up to a world of possibilities. Then you'd have room for Carnor Jax with VI, RGT, Stealth and Autothrusters or something like a Palpy shuttle if you're into that kind of thing.

However, if you're really married to Predator on Vader (which is understandable), how about a Royal Guard interceptor with VI, RGT, Stealth and Autothrusters? You'd end up at 100 points, so no initiative bid, but you've got two PS9s and an 8 so you're likely to not care most of the time (unless you're up against another Fel or Vader list).

To me, VI seems like such a wet fart. Is it really worth taking? And comparing the RG interceptor to the Omega Ace F/O TIE, the Ace seems better for his points. 26 buys an F/O Omega Ace which has 1 extra shield vs the Interceptor which has Stealth AND Autothrusters, not just Stealth.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 24, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
gently caress yeah it is. It's arguably the most useful one point EPT in the entire game. Remember that having higher PS means shooting and dealing damage first, so a PS 8 pilot with VI can shoot down Wedge before he actually gets to fire back.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

gently caress yeah it is. It's arguably the most useful one point EPT in the entire game. Remember that having higher PS means shooting and dealing damage first, so a PS 8 pilot with VI can shoot down Wedge before he actually gets to fire back.

Its usefulness also goes up for ships with post-dial movement as moving later allows you to fine tune your position more while your opponents' ships are locked in place.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
VI is incredibly good at one point but only on certain ships. The arc dodgers like soontir tend to hover around PS9 and they tend to need EPTs such as push the limit so they can't boost their PS.

By getting up to PS 10 or 11 you force those arc dodgers to play very defensively because they can't just reposition after seeing where you move, they have to guess like everyone else. That means you can actually get shots on them and possibly even arc dodge them. If you get to the endgame and soontir is still kicking around and you have nothing above PS 8 you will almost certainly lose unless soontir keeps landing on asteroids.

e: VI, ATC, EU and /x1 on Vader is incredibly good. Move after everyone, shoot before everyone and with engine upgrade you can boost and barrel roll without getting stressed. He is incredibly difficult to pin down, very unpredictable and can push through damage with Advanced Targeting Computer. One of my favourite builds on one of my favourite pilots for sure.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 24, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

PTL on that Royal Guard is gonna save him a lot more than VI+stealth will. PS 8 isnt going to save you from much as nobody really plays 7s and only a few 6s see play.

Royal guard with PTL and autothrust is a decent 27 point ship with 1 point for initiative

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Madurai posted:

First ever victory in a tourney match! PRAISE ME! (Never mind that I lost the first two)

Vader, Juno, and Alozen, all with Advanced TC, Prockets, and munitions failsafe, finally managed to pull off a decisive victory against two Scum Y-wings and a 666.

What's the use of Proton Rockets here? I was in love with them on TIE Advanced because they were a pretty straightforward +2 dice over your primary weapon for 3 points. Seemed a good trade for a one-time heavy punch. And they really were just 3 points, while on A-Wings they essentially cost 5 (eesh). Then they printed ATC. 3 Squad Points for 5 dice when you could just use 3 dice primary weapon + 1 freebie crit (which is clearly even better than a die itself as a die could only ever hope to get a crit anyway) is not very attractive, speaking from the gut. It feels like the Rockets are only worth like 1/2 die over the primary weapon shot these days. The only thing I can come up with is that the ATC needs you to lock a given target, whereas Rockets can hit a target of opportunity*, but that's weak for 3 points and particularly weak in your team; your PS 9 and 8 are highly likely to be able to lock their desired target easily, and your Alozen is guaranteed via pilot text box magic.

So I guess my question is what's the math? When Vader and Alozen use their powers to focus/lock a Rocket how does that compare to focus with ATC? At least the Rockets on Juno should probably go because she can't focus/lock like the other two.

And I'd cut the munitions failsafes for TIE Mk2s. Those rule on Advanced because they turn 4 white maneuvers to green, and your miss odds with Rockets are low anyway. Also where are your last 3 pts?

Not like jumping on you here, I wanna give you congratulations on winning a tournament. I just genuinely loved Rockets on TIE Advanced, made my 3x Advanced squad and called it Vader's Raiders, and then felt the wind come out of my theorycraft sails when ATC came out. So I wanna discuss the point.

*Well and you aren't compelled to use the focus on attack but I figure on a 5-die punch you probably will so the defensive aspects of focus are not major here. Plus the ATC is theoretically action-efficient over time because the lock sits on your victim.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Dropping Proton Rockets + Munitions Failsafe allows you to slap an Engine Upgrade on Darth Vader which is honestly probably a better all around choice than either of those or Twin Ion Engine mk2.

Also something to consider is pairing the ATC with Predator. Normally the ATC prevents you from spending the lock to reroll which limits your offensive modifications to focus only, but with Predator you get to maintain the lock and still get to reroll at least one of those annoying blanks when you attack.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Kai Tave posted:

Dropping Proton Rockets + Munitions Failsafe allows you to slap an Engine Upgrade on Darth Vader which is honestly probably a better all around choice than either of those or Twin Ion Engine mk2.

Also something to consider is pairing the ATC with Predator. Normally the ATC prevents you from spending the lock to reroll which limits your offensive modifications to focus only, but with Predator you get to maintain the lock and still get to reroll at least one of those annoying blanks when you attack.

This sounds like a good build to me. I'm partial to running Predator on everything always, and it really does pair well with ATC.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

PTL on that Royal Guard is gonna save him a lot more than VI+stealth will. PS 8 isnt going to save you from much as nobody really plays 7s and only a few 6s see play.

Royal guard with PTL and autothrust is a decent 27 point ship with 1 point for initiative

I'm just not sure if a PTL Royal Guard is better than a PTL Omega Ace with Stealth or Engine Upgrade. The lack of an ability on Royal Guard Interceptor makes me feel like he's kinda meh, although the dial is better.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Deviant posted:

I'm just not sure if a PTL Royal Guard is better than a PTL Omega Ace with Stealth or Engine Upgrade. The lack of an ability on Royal Guard Interceptor makes me feel like he's kinda meh, although the dial is better.

PTL Royal Guard has an extra red die over Omega Ace, and that's good poo poo. Also the ability to Focus AND Evade makes PTL RGs surprisingly tanky AND shooty.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Lot of good feedback. Based on what I'm seeing, this is where I've arrived:

Soontir + RGT + PTL + Stealth + Autothrusters (35)
Vader + TIE/x1 + VI + EU + ATC (35)
Carnor + VI + Autothrusters (29)

Carnor could easily become a PalpShuttle too, but I like flying the Imperial Aces

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Deviant posted:

Lot of good feedback. Based on what I'm seeing, this is where I've arrived:

Soontir + RGT + PTL + Stealth + Autothrusters (35)
Vader + TIE/x1 + VI + EU + ATC (35)
Carnor + VI + Autothrusters (29)

Carnor could easily become a PalpShuttle too, but I like flying the Imperial Aces

I say drop VI on Vader and Carnor and give Lord Helmet Pred instead.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

What's the use of Proton Rockets here? I was in love with them on TIE Advanced because they were a pretty straightforward +2 dice over your primary weapon for 3 points. Seemed a good trade for a one-time heavy punch. And they really were just 3 points, while on A-Wings they essentially cost 5 (eesh). Then they printed ATC. 3 Squad Points for 5 dice when you could just use 3 dice primary weapon + 1 freebie crit (which is clearly even better than a die itself as a die could only ever hope to get a crit anyway) is not very attractive, speaking from the gut. It feels like the Rockets are only worth like 1/2 die over the primary weapon shot these days. The only thing I can come up with is that the ATC needs you to lock a given target, whereas Rockets can hit a target of opportunity*, but that's weak for 3 points and particularly weak in your team; your PS 9 and 8 are highly likely to be able to lock their desired target easily, and your Alozen is guaranteed via pilot text box magic.

So I guess my question is what's the math? When Vader and Alozen use their powers to focus/lock a Rocket how does that compare to focus with ATC? At least the Rockets on Juno should probably go because she can't focus/lock like the other two.

And I'd cut the munitions failsafes for TIE Mk2s. Those rule on Advanced because they turn 4 white maneuvers to green, and your miss odds with Rockets are low anyway. Also where are your last 3 pts?

Not like jumping on you here, I wanna give you congratulations on winning a tournament. I just genuinely loved Rockets on TIE Advanced, made my 3x Advanced squad and called it Vader's Raiders, and then felt the wind come out of my theorycraft sails when ATC came out. So I wanna discuss the point.

*Well and you aren't compelled to use the focus on attack but I figure on a 5-die punch you probably will so the defensive aspects of focus are not major here. Plus the ATC is theoretically action-efficient over time because the lock sits on your victim.

Prockets wound up giving me the win, as it turned out, bludgeoning down the Y-wings' shields and letting the other pilots crit them to death. I actually had the MF work for me once--I assure you, it's possible to miss with 5 dice.

TIE Mk.II is not much of a payoff on the Advanced like it is on others, I noticed, I was enthusiastic about taking it until I looked at the dial more closely.

Alozen's power hardly ever came up, amazingly. I think I'll switch him for Strom if I run this list again.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Cobbsprite posted:

I say drop VI on Vader and Carnor and give Lord Helmet Pred instead.

Edit: I can't read. That might work.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Another thing to remember with the RGT versus Omega Ace is the lack of autothrusters on the Ace. Makes a huge difference against turreted ships and during the range three merge. In games where this comes into play the RGT will end up being much tankier than Ace. Plus the extra red die as mentioned above. OTOH, guaranteed hits from Omega's ability can be pretty clinch.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

Another thing to remember with the RGT versus Omega Ace is the lack of autothrusters on the Ace. Makes a huge difference against turreted ships and during the range three merge. In games where this comes into play the RGT will end up being much tankier than Ace. Plus the extra red die as mentioned above. OTOH, guaranteed hits from Omega's ability can be pretty clinch.

I really like PTL + Engine Upgrade on Zeta Ace. It's about the same points, and you get one hell of a dodgy TIE Fighter.

The low PS makes her one hell of an Ace blocker too.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 24, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Am I sill for wanting to run Carnor, Soontir and Royal Guard all with PTL/autothrusters/RGT/stealth device as a list. I'm probably way too low-skill to make it work but it sounds like it would be hella fun.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Am I sill for wanting to run Carnor, Soontir and Royal Guard all with PTL/autothrusters/RGT/stealth device as a list. I'm probably way too low-skill to make it work but it sounds like it would be hella fun.

Bullshit. You're only too low-skill to make it work until you have enough practice to make it work. If there's something you want to play and you don't have enough experience to play it well? Get a friend and play it over and over and over.

[ liemode] I promise this is not just an excuse to play spaceships over and over and over. [ /liemode]

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

So is the game still set up so you pretty much have to buy every single expansion to be competitive or can you stick to a faction and be OK?

For reference my preferred faction is scum, I dunno how good they are but the meta between me and the friend I usually play with has been he kills the poo poo out of me with pure numbers every time. Chewing through endless TIEs or dealing with supershielded/hulled monstrosities, I just can't ever seem to get the job done.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Are you playing in tournaments?

If no, then buy the ships you like and proxy the cards you want.

If yes, then you can still generally stick to a faction and be OK but realize that you'll probably have to come up with some interesting lists if you want to completely avoid buying cross-faction.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Strobe posted:

Are you playing in tournaments?

If no, then buy the ships you like and proxy the cards you want.

If yes, then you can still generally stick to a faction and be OK but realize that you'll probably have to come up with some interesting lists if you want to completely avoid buying cross-faction.

Some dude who found out i played invited me over to a casual game at his house, and then was like "Yeah, we don't use proxies."

"But...it's a casual game."
"We use tournament rules."
"Hmm..maybe I'll pass, thanks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Deviant posted:

Some dude who found out i played invited me over to a casual game at his house, and then was like "Yeah, we don't use proxies."

"But...it's a casual game."
"We use tournament rules."
"Hmm..maybe I'll pass, thanks."

*Delete Contact*

• Locked thread