Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Felix_Cat posted:

I particularly liked when they located his car that had supposedly been badly rear-ended and it turned out to only have damage to the front-end. In fairness he did claim he got pushed into someone, but yeah...

When caught in a lie, don't try to make the lie more complicated, either stick with it, or come clean. Don't change your story every 10 seconds. Also, how the hell do you go to trial that hammered? It would be one thing if he was an alcoholic that could function at .08 but he was clearly rocked off his rear end at the start of the trial. It was only fear that sobered him up enough to stop slurring.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

This is my spirit animal.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

This video always makes the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet tingle.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mr.Bob posted:

This video always makes the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet tingle.

It reminds me of every time I climbed up something with no plan to get safely down

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

syscall girl posted:

It reminds me of every time I climbed up something with no plan to get safely down

My mom says hi. :negative:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Every time I see that gif I'm more sure the guy just died :ohdear:

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

He lived, I think he was on Tosh.0 or something similar. I think he broke some leg and or feet bones.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Choco1980 posted:

I remember when that was first going around and I thought for sure he died. I do remember reading something from the camera girl that says he didn't die, I think he just broke some bones.

http://www.inquisitr.com/857475/damien-pullinger-falls-30-feet-attempting-to-climb-building-video/

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I also had it from some nebulous somewhere that he did not die.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Choco1980 posted:

Honestly, the vast majority of reasonably-healthy people will survive a 10-12 yard fall like that, unless they land on their heads or in other ways which damage the brain/spinal column, as long as they receive relatively timely medical attention; the reason he broke poo poo in his feet and/or legs is because they absorbed most of the impact.

You really need those things for walking, and it's not like serious leg injuries including fractures can't be life-threatening, it's just that your central nervous system isn't in your shins.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I believe he eventually did it successfully after healing up.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
This isn't one of them but every time I see close calls with death I'm reminded of the stupid poo poo I did as a kid that brought me thaaaat close to death. Like sticking my head out of a train car window maybe 20 seconds away from some metal signs that would have sheared my head clean off. Or that one time I jumped off a bridge.

It wasn't a very high bridge.

Then I huddle in the fetal position in the shower for half an hour.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Climbed a downed tree by the beach when I was 10.

The tree had fallen out of the forest over a small stream.

Tree was maybe 50' standing up so it seemed like a safe and fun thing to scale. After getting up there I noticed the stream was real shallow and if I fell serious injuries would come my way.

Felt like my dumb cat that climbed the redwood in our backyard and managed to paralyze himself on the roots.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
A friend of my mom had a kid die from attempting to moon someone while in a car (this was years ago, not like last week). He apparently stuck his rear end out the window too far and the car got too close to the bridge and the metal pipe or bridge support or something just sort of snatched him out the window.

I'm about 90% certain everyone in the car was drunk (attempted mooner, driver, friend in passenger seat), cause they had to turn around later and figure out where the gently caress the guy went.

Moral of the story (besides the hilarity of death by bridge to rear end) is that doing stupid poo poo can get you killed, so it's a minor miracle you are alive right now considering all the dumb poo poo you did as a kid.

Also, I'm not 100% sure this guy was a kid, or just a dumbfuck adult, but either way, he dead.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Nov 24, 2015

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
Schadenfreude Thread: hilarity of death by bridge to rear end

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Kid drunk so what

Seriously though wtf

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lord Chumley posted:

Schadenfreude Thread: hilarity of death by bridge to rear end

Death by abuttment

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Ozz81 posted:

Death by abuttment

:golfclap:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A friend of my mom had a kid die from attempting to moon someone while in a car (this was years ago, not like last week). He apparently stuck his rear end out the window too far and the car got too close to the bridge and the metal pipe or bridge support or something just sort of snatched him out the window.

I'm about 90% certain everyone in the car was drunk (attempted mooner, driver, friend in passenger seat), cause they had to turn around later and figure out where the gently caress the guy went.

Moral of the story (besides the hilarity of death by bridge to rear end) is that doing stupid poo poo can get you killed, so it's a minor miracle you are alive right now considering all the dumb poo poo you did as a kid.

Also, I'm not 100% sure this guy was a kid, or just a dumbfuck adult, but either way, he dead.

stdh.txt

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I kinda burned off the soles of my feet at three, stumbled into a wasp nest at four, broke every bone in my hand at five, and farted on the cat at six.

Small miracles, I guess.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Boywhiz88 posted:

I believe he eventually did it successfully after healing up.

Sure did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxC2S60Gdvg

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

For all the contributions from here that wind up in the cute thread, it's high time something got cross posted to here. From Stupid Life Hacks:

netally posted:

I so want this to be real.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Desuwa posted:

This isn't one of them but every time I see close calls with death I'm reminded of the stupid poo poo I did as a kid that brought me thaaaat close to death. Like sticking my head out of a train car window maybe 20 seconds away from some metal signs that would have sheared my head clean off. Or that one time I jumped off a bridge.

Intrusive memories - everyone's own endless schadenfreude.

Just walking along the street on a nice sunny day then BAM! out of nowhere your brains goes, "Hey remember that time you did something horribly stupid and embarrassing? How about you relive exactly how bad you felt?"

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

AlphaKretin posted:

For all the contributions from here that wind up in the cute thread, it's high time something got cross posted to here. From Stupid Life Hacks:

I so want this to be real, and I'd so like this to turn into an actual case and see the cocky, irresponsible idiot lose to the just plain stupid idiot. I mean you have to be a grade-a dipshit to do something like throw sugar in your gas tank because you read about it on Facebook, but where's the humor in posting something like that? Isn't the whole point trying to trick idiots into doing it, like the iPhone microwave thing? It's just malicious.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

AlphaKretin posted:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

It's not as bad for cars as we think it is!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Scruff McGruff posted:

Sovereign Citizens are always a good mix of hilarious crazy and sad because they're usually people who found themselves drowning in debt and have become so desperate for a way out that they are totally willing to believe the SC bullshit.

Pretty much. This writeup by a Canadian judge is a good overview; most of the people who end up trying to use sovcit/freeman-on-the-land arguments in court are people who are already in deep (usually debt-related) poo poo but met a guy (or read a website or whatever) who can teach them how to escape...for a price. And the price is much lower than the amount they're in debt for, so they pay it.

The actual scam artists writing this poo poo almost never show up in court, or if they do, they don't use the stuff they're selling -- they know it's bullshit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Desuwa posted:

Me and my neighborhood friends did all sorts of dumb poo poo on my neighbors netless trampoline, most notably attempting to play tackle football on it which resulted in him having a seizure, but the closest I ever came to death was a high school community trip to help clear out a blighted home. They let us use axes for some reason and I stood too closely behind a guy who was chopping down an overgrown shrub or something. He swung and missed and then stopped himself with the blade of the axe aiming straight at my chest. I doubt he remembers it but I think about that every once in a while.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Pretty much. This writeup by a Canadian judge is a good overview; most of the people who end up trying to use sovcit/freeman-on-the-land arguments in court are people who are already in deep (usually debt-related) poo poo but met a guy (or read a website or whatever) who can teach them how to escape...for a price. And the price is much lower than the amount they're in debt for, so they pay it.

The actual scam artists writing this poo poo almost never show up in court, or if they do, they don't use the stuff they're selling -- they know it's bullshit.

What's worse is in America at least; other than student loans it's fairly easy to get out of debt. Just read up on the FDCPA, record any interactions, only respond in writing, dispute everything, show up to court, and if all else fails, wait seven years.
That will take care of like, 90% of your debt right there. My wife was hosed hard by her ex husband after she moved out but was still technically married to her ex. She ended up cleaning up over 25k of debt that way and ended up paying less than 5k to do so. :shrug:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

zakharov posted:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

It's not as bad for cars as we think it is!

quote:

Yet the science of the matter aside, we expect reports of sugared gas tanks to continue to appear on police blotters everywhere for as long as gasoline engines power cars. The desire for revenge runs strong — so strong that it will not let such a little thing as facts get in its way.

Accordingly, the best way to gain revenge on someone through the "sugar in the gas tank" prank might be to simply play on the belief rather than the reality — just sprinkle a fair amount of sugar on the ground beneath the opening to the fuel tank of your victim's car and leave an empty sugar sack in a conspicious spot near the vehicle. Then sit back and watch your victim go wild trying to figure out how to deal with all that sugar he assumes is now in his gas tank.

Ahahaha, thank you, Snopes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Your link went nowhere for me, but I'm guessing it's this:

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/oncj/doc/2013/2013oncj160/2013oncj160.html

It's a long read, but oh so worth it. It remains one of my favorite things on the internet.

EDIT: Linked wrong judgement.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Nov 24, 2015

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Takoluka posted:

Ahahaha, thank you, Snopes.

I work with someone who's ex dumped sugar in their tank and did exactly what snopes described. Just bunched up at the bottom and a mechanic had to clean out the tank.

It sucks because he was letting his ex borrow the car because he was being nice and didn't need it for a while and that was how he was repaid. That and a hiden dead fish...

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Some repeats, but overall very schadenfreudy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn69hfjqAsg

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Foxhound posted:

Oh my god, this is one of the best I've seen so far. The bicycle guy and the dog that comes to check up on him :3:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The first time I heard abou the sugar-in-the-fuel-tank thing was when I was about 17 and discovered some of the versions of and commentaries on The Anarchist'sCookbook. In one description I read somewhere - probably on a dial-up BBS, this would have been about 1994 - the author went on a long rant about the damage to Mother Earth caused by industrial logging and clearcutting and so forth, and mentioned it as the budding eco-terrorist's entry-level way into violent activism.

Given how well-guarded most Big Yellow Machines are on most jobsites (i.e. not at all), you'd think if this was effective we'd have heard about it by now. Somehow I never thought of that and the Snopes article is a good read, thanks.

Although this part is weird:

quote:

Sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline, as a researcher at Berkeley confirmed in 1994. Forensics professor John Thornton labeled sucrose with radioactive carbon atoms and mixed it with gasoline, then spun the concoction in a centrifuge. After the undissolved particles were removed, the liquid's radiation level was measured to determine how much sucrose had become part of the gasoline. The answer was extremely little: the equivalent of less than a teaspoonful per 15-gallon tank of gas.

Measuring the solubility of substance A in solvent B doesn't need to involve radiolabelled materials. :psyduck: A simple mass balance would work - weigh the sugar, pour it in, stir and centrifuge, remove the gasoline, weigh the sugar. No radiation-safety training required!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ExecuDork posted:

Measuring the solubility of substance A in solvent B doesn't need to involve radiolabelled materials. :psyduck: A simple mass balance would work - weigh the sugar, pour it in, stir and centrifuge, remove the gasoline, weigh the sugar. No radiation-safety training required!

As we've seen time and again since the dawn of the Atomic Age, give a person access to radioactive substances and he or she will find a way and reason to use them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Reasonably you could ascertain that if the sugar doesn't directly break things, it could definitely clog up the fuel pump/filter.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FogHelmut posted:

Reasonably you could ascertain that if the sugar doesn't directly break things, it could definitely clog up the fuel pump/filter.

Which Snopes said. Might have to change the filter a couple times, or for a particularly bad sugar infestation have a mechanic scrub the tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Foxhound posted:

The dude who crashed the car on a straight, unobstructed road...