Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
He did and the continuing lack of an F-8 in any Ace Combat game is a crime. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Psion posted:

He did and the continuing lack of an F-8 in any Ace Combat game is a crime. :colbert:

I really want a Vietnam/Korea era jets Ace Combat with all kinds of crazy, melodramatic gun duels.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

I really want a Vietnam/Korea era jets Ace Combat with all kinds of crazy, melodramatic gun duels.

Everyone does, buddy.

I wonder, if they did, would they model the Sparrow as being the dog of a missile that it was, or would they make it work?

Also, are we getting into the weapons models at all? I thought I remembered standard missiles on US planes being modeled as Sidewinder, vs whatever it is Euro and Warsaw Pact planes use

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Psion posted:

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Night10194 posted:

we got the flying bathtub aka the F-4E as a starter or near starter plane for pretty much every Ace Combat :colbert:

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

LEGO Genetics posted:

we got the flying bathtub aka the F-4E as a starter or near starter plane for pretty much every Ace Combat :colbert:

And its loving glorious.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LEGO Genetics posted:

I'd better not be hearing rude things over here.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Usually between 2 to 6 missiles or bombs of various types. Generally what's depicted on screen on the plane itself is its maximum armament; the game simply magically replaces spent ammunition for the sake of gameplay.
Mo' missiles mo' problems.

(Neither of those are real air-to-air loadouts though, they're publicity shots.)

Missiles are the main weapon for air-to-air combat these days. Radar missiles dominate long range combat outside the "merge" (the point at which friendly and enemy aircraft are no longer distinguishable on long range radar and their tracks merge) and accurate, highly maneuverable, high off-boresight IR missiles have supplanted guns in short range engagements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMSfg26YSQ

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
What your plane would look like in a flight sim if you carried Ace Combat levels of ordnance:

Bonus 'gently caress you and everyone in your post code' image

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

VKing posted:

What your plane would look like in a flight sim if you carried Ace Combat levels of ordnance:

Okay, that's got the 2 dozen bombs, but where's the 50+ sidewinders?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Crigit posted:

Okay, that's got the 2 dozen bombs, but where's the 50+ sidewinders?
Now I'm imagining a little plane trailing behind that A-10 on a rope and dropping under the weight of all those extra explosives.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I always found it extremely annoying that the standard missiles even worked on most ground targets - all the Sidewinders in the world would be hard-pressed to kill one MBT because of the way their warheads work.

On the other hand, bombs work great against air targets if you can hit them near/on the ground or they're big enough, which is quite nice.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Forcing the player to pick A2A or A2G missiles will take away the point and shoot aspect of the game, and you'll either end up restarting missions to learn enemy composition or resort to gunning things down forever.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
The US Air Force actually experimented with using Sidewinders as both ATGMs and Anti-Radiation Missiles during and after Vietnam, respectively. The AGM-87 Focus was a single-aspect AIM-9B modified to lock on to ground targets with significant infrared signatures, like tank exhausts, the IR spotlights common to vintage night vision equipment, or even the headlights of trucks. It was only used for a few years in a niche role before better solutions were developed.

Later came the AGM-122 Sidearm. The USAF wanted to basically make any aircraft or helicopter with a Sidewinder rail capable of Wild Weasel missions, which normally required a significant payload capacity since the AGM-78 Standard ARM was huge (based on the Standard I shipboard SAM) and the AGM-45 Shrike was both big and utter poo poo. Normally you'd need rather beefy hardpoints for these missiles as even the smaller Shrike was still comparable in size and weight to an AIM-7 Sparrow. So, they took an outmoded AIM-9C, a failed SA radar homing variant developed for the F-8 Crusader, and changed the seeker head to one that could home in on electromagnetic emissions. The warhead didn't have to be very big, just powerful enough to destroy the offending radar antenna. The only problem is, the missile's short range brought aircraft hazardously close to the launchers it was designed to attack, and the supply of AIM-9C missiles was finite. Combat doctrine moved away from the idea of throwing the AGM-122 on everything and towards multirole platforms that could carry the new AGM-88 HARM, which had a vastly improved seeker relative to previous designs.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Casualty posted:

The US Air Force actually experimented with using Sidewinders as both ATGMs and Anti-Radiation Missiles during and after Vietnam, respectively. The AGM-87 Focus was a single-aspect AIM-9B modified to lock on to ground targets with significant infrared signatures, like tank exhausts, the IR spotlights common to vintage night vision equipment, or even the headlights of trucks. It was only used for a few years in a niche role before better solutions were developed.

Later came the AGM-122 Sidearm. The USAF wanted to basically make any aircraft or helicopter with a Sidewinder rail capable of Wild Weasel missions, which normally required a significant payload capacity since the AGM-78 Standard ARM was huge (based on the Standard I shipboard SAM) and the AGM-45 Shrike was both big and utter poo poo. Normally you'd need rather beefy hardpoints for these missiles as even the smaller Shrike was still comparable in size and weight to an AIM-7 Sparrow. So, they took an outmoded AIM-9C, a failed SA radar homing variant developed for the F-8 Crusader, and changed the seeker head to one that could home in on electromagnetic emissions. The warhead didn't have to be very big, just powerful enough to destroy the offending radar antenna. The only problem is, the missile's short range brought aircraft hazardously close to the launchers it was designed to attack, and the supply of AIM-9C missiles was finite. Combat doctrine moved away from the idea of throwing the AGM-122 on everything and towards multirole platforms that could carry the new AGM-88 HARM, which had a vastly improved seeker relative to previous designs.

The AIM-9B was a primitive contact warhead (which is how the Soviets managed to get one), and the Sidearm was refitted with a different warhead for ground targets. Any modern AAM uses a shrapnel warhead of some type to increase the No-Evade zone.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Mo' missiles mo' problems.

"You got it, fam" -Project Aces

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

SelenicMartian posted:

resort to gunning things down forever.

You're framing this as a bad thing?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Gnoman posted:

The AIM-9B was a primitive contact warhead (which is how the Soviets managed to get one), and the Sidearm was refitted with a different warhead for ground targets. Any modern AAM uses a shrapnel warhead of some type to increase the No-Evade zone.

Continuous rod warheads, which are fascinating considering the strain the materials take and the engineering required to make them reliable.

Als while we're talking about AC games, will you consider doing all the armored cores? They have interesting themes regarding humanity and its behavior. (Also 15 games for you to go through.) (And nineballs.) (Also a few... not so great games in the series.)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Sard posted:

Two Words:Assault Horizon, AKA Knife-fighting with Planes, which is annoying as gently caress AND an unrealistic depiction of air combat.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sard posted:

You go play Lethal Skies 1&2 and tell us.

SIGSEGV posted:

Als while we're talking about AC games, will you consider doing all the armored cores? They have interesting themes regarding humanity and its behavior. (Also 15 games for you to go through.) (And nineballs.) (Also a few... not so great games in the series.)
Armored Cores are so loving awful to control, don't wish them on anyone. It took From several games just to realize PS2 has two analog sticks.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Can't wait until you get to the one I've seen before and is Good GOD BLESS GRACEMERIA

Gonna be waiting a while, huh

SIGSEGV posted:

I seem to remember someone actually having done this already. It might be archived.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

^^
I only see AC1, MoA, PP and ACV on the archive. But I'm sure someone must have done them all elsewhere.

SelenicMartian posted:

Armored Cores are so loving awful to control, don't wish them on anyone. It took From several games just to realize PS2 has two analog sticks.

Let's just say that while From are excellent at making games they are not always that good at the technical aspect of games. (Also the original, original PS1 controller had plain old no analog sticks.) (No excuses for the PS2 one though.)

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 25, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I took the previously mentioned advice and uploaded the HAWX videos to Youtube. Out of 38 videos only two got completely muted and one got slapped with a restriction making it unwatchable outside the US and Japan.
To any German viewers, I'm sorry.

Let's Play H.A.W.X.
Let's Play H.A.W.X. 2

Also uploaded the Halo LPs and my Chaos Theory one as well for those interested.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 24, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They made a second HAWX.

WHY. FOR WHOM.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

They made a second HAWX.

WHY. FOR WHOM.

To me, the first HAWX was a mostly enjoyable, albeit incredibly simple, arcade flight game. A decent enough, tentative first step toward the next Ace Combat if Bandai-Namco didn't want to do them any more. I didn't even find the dumb gimmick mode all that annoying.

HAWX2 then managed to make nearly everything the first game kind of well worse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To me the fundamental problem with HAWX is that it in no way 'gets' that Ace Combat is Mecha But With Jets. It doesn't embrace the melodrama and specific, earnest kind of dumbness that makes Ace Combat feel so endearing and positive.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

To me the fundamental problem with HAWX is that it in no way 'gets' that Ace Combat is Mecha But With Jets. It doesn't embrace the melodrama and specific, earnest kind of dumbness that makes Ace Combat feel so endearing and positive.

I mean it's obvious that they have looked at Ace Combat quite intently during the development of both games. Look at the Rio de Janeiro mission for instance, it has enemy ace squadrons and the AC style overheard radio communications. Only for this to never ever appear again at any point. So yeah, they're obviously inspired by it but they fail to get it.
If you combined a lot of the stuff from both HAWX games and threw out the overly gimmick parts like the jamming in one and the atrocious drone parts from 2 you could have a decent AC-like game. I mean the end fight for HAWX 2 would fit in Ace Combat really well.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I want to assume its a consequence of the tom clancy label and annoying higher ups. NO GUYS IT ISNT TACTICAL ENOUGH, TONE DOWN THE BANTER AND GET RID OF THE SECRET RUSSIAN PARTICLE LASER

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Agean90 posted:

I want to assume its a consequence of the tom clancy label and annoying higher ups. NO GUYS IT ISNT TACTICAL ENOUGH, TONE DOWN THE BANTER AND GET RID OF THE SECRET RUSSIAN PARTICLE LASER

AND MAKE IT NORTH KOREAN!

E: Fun challenge: Try to think of a game that wouldn't be improved by a secret Russian particle laser. It's hard.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

AND MAKE IT NORTH KOREAN!

E: Fun challenge: Try to think of a game that wouldn't be improved by a secret Russian particle laser. It's hard.

Pretty sure North Korea has only been the real enemy once and that was in Ghost Recon 2. I mean they weren't even the real baddies in Chaos Theory, just unwitting pawns.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

Too much Call of Duty influence, then. That's the feeling I got particularly from the drone parts.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure North Korea has only been the real enemy once and that was in Ghost Recon 2. I mean they weren't even the real baddies in Chaos Theory, just unwitting pawns.

In the first GRAW (and the first mission of HAWX, for that matter) aren't you fighting Mexico?

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

The Casualty posted:

In the first GRAW (and the first mission of HAWX, for that matter) aren't you fighting Mexico?

HAWX had a story?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

YOTC posted:

HAWX had a story?

The story of a pilot slowly going mad by everyone calling him Crenshaw.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The Crenshaw Counter was the best character.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Casualty posted:

First GRAW had evil Mexicans. Second GRAW had evil Mexicans that then got replaced by an evil PMC.
Ubisoft's Clancy writers had a huge hard-on for evil PMCs for a while there between 2005 and 2010

IMJack posted:

Too much Call of Duty influence, then. That's the feeling I got particularly from the drone parts.

Well yeah, I joked and commented about that fact constantly while doing HAWX2. The references are obvious even if you willingly ignore the AC-130 level.
Something which ACAH honestly did a lot better. I'd be amazed if you could even fail the one in HAWX2 at any point.
Only difference is that it took Modern Warfare two more games to get back at Russia while HAWX2 did it in one.

SIGSEGV posted:

The Crenshaw Counter was the best character.

I attribute the fact that they even mentioned Shade once throughout the entire LP to luck.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Cooked Auto posted:

So I took the previously mentioned advice and uploaded the HAWX videos to Youtube. Out of 38 videos only two got completely muted and one got slapped with a restriction making it unwatchable outside the US and Japan.
To any German viewers, I'm sorry.

Let's Play H.A.W.X.
Let's Play H.A.W.X. 2

Also uploaded the Halo LPs and my Chaos Theory one as well for those interested.

:sigh: Oh well. At least most of them are available. Maybe you could re-upload the blocked ones on Dailymotion or Vimeo or something?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

:sigh: Oh well. At least most of them are available. Maybe you could re-upload the blocked ones on Dailymotion or Vimeo or something?

The perils of running a custom soundtrack with popular tracks. v:(v If I had to redo it all over again I'd probably go for something different, like what Tin Tim is doing with his stuff, when it comes to music to skirt around the copyright protection.
Dunno about using alt hosts thought, not sure if Vimeo has changed their stance on LPs these days or not.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Isn't the reason we still have cannons on fighters basically come down to "Nam"?

As in, for early versions of the F4 they removed the cannon, only to have it proven in a dogfight where they stuck a gunpod on a hardpoint, that the gun allowed them to take down VC fighters that were getting lost in IR noise from the jungle or some such?

Also, trivia I remembered about this game. In 2004-2006 when this and 5 came out, I got REALLY deep into them. To the point that there was a few levels where I managed to tell that the background radio chatter in AC0 was just straight up stolen from AC5 with squadron names etc.

Calax fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Fun fact. Got into ac based soley on AC5 song"unsung war". Played all ps2 and later games. Now I am a pilot IRL. coincidence?

• Locked thread