Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Your trolling game is on point this morning MIGF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

My Imaginary GF posted:

How?

How will those reforms get you a promotion within the force?

Not really a topic I've focused on, I'm a transportation economist. Could definitely offer advice on adjusting incentive structures for traffic stops based on what actually causes road unsafety, which... isn't really the current topic of discussion.

"More reliable punishments for undue/excessive use of violence" isn't a terrible idea, though, and does have the advantage that the Internal Affairs infiltrators and investigators have their own promotion incentives!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Nixon with charisma? My god...

I could rule the universe! :nixon:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

fade5 posted:

You can check my (many, many) posts in the Middle East thread for more info than you ever wanted to know about how ISIL is losing ground against the Kurds/YPG/SDF.

For the last part, here you go:

ISIL originally said to the US "bring your planes". After ISIL lost in Kobani and other places thanks to airstrikes, the commander of Ahrar al Sham (large Syrian Salafist rebel group backed by Turkey/Qatar/Saudi Arabia) mocked ISIL for complaining after the US did indeed "bring our planes".

ISIL/ISIS: The Ted Cruz of mid-east militants. Gets all the headlines but everyone, especially their peers, hate their guts for doing everything the dumbest way possible.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Not really a topic I've focused on, I'm a transportation economist. Could definitely offer advice on adjusting incentive structures for traffic stops based on what actually causes road unsafety, which... isn't really the current topic of discussion.

"More reliable punishments for undue/excessive use of violence" isn't a terrible idea, though, and does have the advantage that the Internal Affairs infiltrators and investigators have their own promotion incentives!

Investigations take time, though, and it seems as if these BLM activists want action now, now, now, rather than waiting for information to be more clear. They're hostile towards the police, and what officer of the law wants to charge into a hostile crowd of activists to respond to reports of "shots fired"? Some of those activists have known gang affiliations; how can police respond to a shooting against some individuals who may have known gang affiliations, without doing so in a way which would antagonize the hostile activists should those reports turn out to be baseless?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Known gang affiliations in the same way every black man in my neighborhood has "known gang affiliations" but good to see Chicago in favor of the illegal abuse and surveillance of protestors. Again.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If anything, we should be commending the officers of that precinct for their restrained response. It's the response that those BLM activists are asking for, right? For police to not take brash action and charge into a crowd of hostile activists with loosened RoE?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Investigations take time, though, and it seems as if these BLM activists want action now, now, now, rather than waiting for information to be more clear.

Tamir Rice's investigation has been ongoing for a year. Perhaps the agitation for immediate action is because there seems to be an alleged propensity for police forces to sweep such incidents under the rug, while incidents where the police are the victims are pursued relentlessly.

My Imaginary GF posted:

They're hostile towards the police, and what officer of the law wants to charge into a hostile crowd of activists to respond to reports of "shots fired"? Some of those activists have known gang affiliations; how can police respond to a shooting against some individuals who may have known gang affiliations, without doing so in a way which would antagonize the hostile activists should those reports turn out to be baseless?

They could start by doing their jobs and not shooting unarmed black men. That seems to be a major issue.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Investigations take time, though, and it seems as if these BLM activists want action now, now, now, rather than waiting for information to be more clear. They're hostile towards the police, and what officer of the law wants to charge into a hostile crowd of activists to respond to reports of "shots fired"? Some of those activists have known gang affiliations; how can police respond to a shooting against some individuals who may have known gang affiliations, without doing so in a way which would antagonize the hostile activists should those reports turn out to be baseless?
That's what they agreed to when they clocked in that morning, and were willing to take a day's salary from the taxpayers.

And the only reason people turn to cops when crimes are committed is because they are the only ones given leniency by the state to apprehend and stop those who committed the crime without major repercussions. If they fail to provide this service, vigilante justice and outright rebellion against the state becomes a reasonable course of action.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raerlynn posted:

They could start by doing their jobs and not shooting unarmed black men. That seems to be a major issue.

They did just that in response to the unconfirmed mumblings of shots fired, and how did the BLM activists feel about it? Did they thank the police for their restrained response? Nope, they responded like activists: angry at everything with no solutions.

Inferior Third Season posted:

That's what they agreed to when they clocked in that morning, and were willing to take a day's salary from the taxpayers.

And the only reason people turn to cops when crimes are committed is because they are the only ones given leniency by the state to apprehend and stop those who committed the crime without major repercussions. If they fail to provide this service, vigilante justice and outright rebellion against the state becomes a reasonable course of action.

Now you sound like one of those cranky geriatrics at the DMV. "I pay your salary! You work for me!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

And Exodus International (the refugee nonprofit here)

A) has said they will continue to settle refugees here regardless of Pence's orders
B) had to put out a message apologizing for slow response to anyone contacting them because after this Pence stunt happened they were overwhelmed by people applying to volunteer

Glad they are taking the high road.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

unconfirmed mumblings of shots fired

I don't know if you've ever heard a gunshot, but they're quite loud. If your officers on site can't determine shots were fired, you may have graver issues than angry protestors.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Jeb! making some relevant in-roads with House of Cards fans.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raerlynn posted:

I don't know if you've ever heard a gunshot, but they're quite loud. If your officers on site can't determine shots were fired, you may have graver issues than angry protestors.

They sound like "pop pop pop"; almost like a car backfire.

Do you want cops to go out in force with loose RoE every time a car backfires outside the precinct offices?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Now you sound like one of those cranky geriatrics at the DMV. "I pay your salary! You work for me!"
They do work for the taxpayers. That doesn't mean that everybody is their direct boss who can order them around, as you're implying I said. But it does mean that they need to do their job to serve the public, regardless of their personal feelings about it.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Do you want cops to go out in force with loose RoE every time a car backfires outside the precinct offices?

Do I want an officer to discreetly check on the source of gunfire in a public space? Why yes, yes I do. It's almost like I expect the police to investigate disturbances of the peace and use the least amount of force necessary in that pursuit. Crazy, I know.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
dunno if this has already been posted but the minneapolis police department has arrested some 23 year old white guy in connection with last night's shooting at the BLM rally

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're usually better than this, but this fact you keep inserting the "loose rules of engagement", which is in fact the point of the protest. The presence of black people, even more than one, doesn't make this a war zone.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Raerlynn posted:

Do I want an officer to discreetly check on the source of gunfire in a public space? Why yes, yes I do. It's almost like I expect the police to investigate disturbances of the peace and use the least amount of force necessary in that pursuit. Crazy, I know.

I like you, but you know that the guy saying we have to choose between police doing nothing and police killing everything is trolling you right?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I like you, but you know that the guy saying we have to choose between police doing nothing and police killing everything is trolling you right?

:( Yeah, I know.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Kro-Bar posted:

Jeb! making some relevant in-roads with House of Cards fans.

This needs more love. Or a photoshop of the real rear end it is. God does anyone tell him that what he may be saying or doing looks horrible at times. It looks like a giant rear end mooning him and he's just standing and smiling about it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

VitalSigns posted:

Does anybody know why this this forum so indulgent when it comes to open trolling by a perennial fuckface? Especially when it's dogwhistle racism front to back?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Western Washington University (my alma mater) suspended classes today because there were some violent threats made against students of color: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/western-washington-university-cancels-classes-as-hate-speech-is-investigated/

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Does anybody know why this this forum so indulgent when it comes to open trolling by a perennial fuckface? Especially when it's dogwhistle racism front to back?

I think People want trolls around so they can have someone to argue with and mock .

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raerlynn posted:

It's a bit difficult to check on something for which limited information exists, and by which a hostile crowd is rallied around. What if those reports turned out untrue? Would that have not needlessly antagonized the crowd?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's a bit difficult to check on something for which limited information exists, and by which a hostile crowd is rallied around. What if those reports turned out untrue? Would that have not needlessly antagonized the crowd?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gRqRv6URdE

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Raerlynn posted:

I hate the "it's almost like..(thing that should obviously be done/expected in given situation)" meme

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Meg From Family Guy posted:

I hate the "it's almost like..(thing that should obviously be done/expected in given situation)" meme

They're not wrong.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
According to some article I read, one person from the group of dickheads that shot at the BLM people is in custody.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Silver Nitrate posted:

According to some article I read, one person from the group of dickheads that shot at the BLM people is in custody.

MPD tweeted out that they picked one of them up in Bloomington and are looking for the others. 23-year old white male so he's about to become /pol/'s newest hero.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

seiferguy posted:

Western Washington University (my alma mater) suspended classes today because there were some violent threats made against students of color: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/western-washington-university-cancels-classes-as-hate-speech-is-investigated/

My alma mater too. Seems like the president is going for a real 'PC John Wayne' vibe in his email to students. But in these trying times, people have not given up. They're looking harder than ever for solutions:

quote:

You've got Trump front and center in the media, ready to deport or put under surveillance all the Hispanics, Muslims, and who knows who else. His latest campaign stop resulted in a BLM heckler being taken down and kicked, punched and stepped on.

He condoned that this heckler should have been, 'roughed up.'
And his poll numbers continue to rise.

It just goes to show you what kind of people, republicans, who get all jacked off over this showman. He just keeps spewing the lies, the crap, and the ugly Americans are eating it up.

Sure, maybe this person who made the threatening hate speech over social media was just messing around, but I doubt it. People like Trump are inciting people like this.
And the, 'anti' crowd are believing everything this fool says. There are still birthers who think the president is a Muslim. He's not, and it wouldn't matter if he was.

And although you cannot make the stupid people understand it, Islam has billions of followers, being the second most followed religion on the planet.
As much as the ugly Americans don't want to believe it, there are a relative few, 'terrorists' coming out of those numbers.
Wake up, people.

If only we could just harness the growing power of ISIS, and use it for good, instead of bad.

For instance, ISIS could just roam the world and bomb and behead the racists, the people who drink and drive, text and drive, smoke pot and drive, and just downright stupid and dangerous people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Something Else posted:

My alma mater too. Seems like the president is going for a real 'PC John Wayne' vibe in his email to students. But in these trying times, people have not given up. They're looking harder than ever for solutions:

This is from the president of a university? I don't think that's how you use jack off in a sentence.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

fade5 posted:

You can check my (many, many) posts in the Middle East thread for more info than you ever wanted to know about how ISIL is losing ground against the Kurds/YPG/SDF.

For the last part, here you go:

ISIL originally said to the US "bring your planes". After ISIL lost in Kobani and other places thanks to airstrikes, the commander of Ahrar al Sham (large Syrian Salafist rebel group backed by Turkey/Qatar/Saudi Arabia) mocked ISIL for complaining after the US did indeed "bring our planes".

Thanks, I'll do that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

This is from the president of a university? I don't think that's how you use jack off in a sentence.

Yeah it has to be from some student instead.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Trabisnikof posted:

:agreed: the president's office is usually much better about catching self-abuse-related errors like that

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Zeroisanumber posted:

MPD tweeted out that they picked one of them up in Bloomington and are looking for the others. 23-year old white male so he's about to become /pol/'s newest hero.

Second suspect picked up.

"2nd suspect in shooting near 4th PCT arrested in S Mpls at 1205pm. 32y/o Hispanic male. Search for addl' suspects continues."

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

It could be from the president he written some interesting things before:

quote:

This brings me to the question I believe would most benefit from serious consideration: poised at the cusp of what I believe to be a multi-faceted turning point in public higher education as well as in the society and culture we both reflect and lead, does a Eurocentric and male mascot point to the future we wish to embrace? Or to the past we would move beyond? And, is this, then, an image all can identify with?

Their mascot is a viking

http://www.wwu.edu/president/blog/posts/27.shtml

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Silver Nitrate posted:

Second suspect picked up.

"2nd suspect in shooting near 4th PCT arrested in S Mpls at 1205pm. 32y/o Hispanic male. Search for addl' suspects continues."

Good. I want to see these stupid fucks locked up in Stillwater until they're old and grey.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Someone in Amazon's marketing department thought this would be a totally chill and cool ad design for NYC subways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Someone in Amazon's marketing department thought this would be a totally chill and cool ad design for NYC subways.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread