Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Dungeon 4's music. Your argument just died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
i get really mad whenever i hear it because i'm traumatized

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
But it's an awesome song!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
So are Battle in the Clock Tower and The Infinite, but I still associate the former with a boring loving 40 turn long fight and the latter with panicking the Clockwork God on the 2nd turn and then just Myriad Arrowsing him to death.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Forest Thief Pud posted:

The crossovers in general amplify personality traits, which kind of works for the P3 cast for the most part since it gives them something to work with compared to their bland original versions, while it doesn't really do well with the P4 cast because they have exaggerated character traits and fandom in-jokes now turned up to 11. Also, there's no other part to Rei's personality besides making references to food and how she loves to eat, she's that terrible a character. She's easily the worst of the spinoff additions.

They turned one of the Persona characters into Ilyana from Fire Emblem? Yikes, no wonder people are down on that game.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

They turned one of the Persona characters into Ilyana from Fire Emblem? Yikes, no wonder people are down on that game.

Actually, they introduced a character who is Ilyana from Fire Emblem that will never show up again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AweStriker posted:

Actually, they introduced a character who is Ilyana from Fire Emblem that will never show up again.

Persona 3 is the game that I don't remember that well so I thought Fuuka was named Rei and forgot that Rei was, in reality, one of the one-off characters. That's a lot less terrible.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Man, it would be nice if Fuuka was a one-off character...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Supremezero posted:

Don't worry, they turned down her captain obvious-ness from P3

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Junpei posted:

Don't worry, they turned down her captain obvious-ness from P3

Mind you, she and Rise still tell you enemy weaknesses and resistances practically every turn, when not to attack an enemy that's about to counterattack, when an FOE that you're looking at is close, etc.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mind you, she and Rise still tell you enemy weaknesses and resistances practically every turn, when not to attack an enemy that's about to counterattack, when an FOE that you're looking at is close, etc.

Don't forget boss battles too! Especially the loving Merciful Clergyman fight.

I think the only in-battle dialogue/banter I liked in PQ was during the Captor Spider fight; I was fighting it for the first time, and it regrew one of its legs. Shinjiro then shouted "Are you making GBS threads ME?!" with probably the most emotion in any line I've heard from him, in both P3 and PQ. He mirrored my thoughts pretty exactly :v:

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Supremezero posted:

Hey man, I like Fuuka. Though, I don't feel that navigators were necessary in an EO game. I feel that it's unnecessary. Especially with the characters getting surprised at shortcuts they've already discovered...

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Don't forget boss battles too! Especially the loving Merciful Clergyman fight.

I think the only in-battle dialogue/banter I liked in PQ was during the Captor Spider fight; I was fighting it for the first time, and it regrew one of its legs. Shinjiro then shouted "Are you making GBS threads ME?!" with probably the most emotion in any line I've heard from him, in both P3 and PQ. He mirrored my thoughts pretty exactly :v:

The Merciful Clergyman's dialogue can be summed up as such.

"vows and poo poo"
"gee i wonder what happens if you break a vow"

Repeat every round, unless you break it by accident. Also, wowza, I may need to consider having Shinji in my party.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Navigators were less "This is something we need" more "gently caress, what are we going to do with these navigator characters, we can't spontaneously turn them into fighters."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What do you think about navigation characters from a gameplay standpoint?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Supremezero posted:

Navigators were less "This is something we need" more "gently caress, what are we going to do with these navigator characters, we can't spontaneously turn them into fighters."

And then in Persona 4 Ultimax (the second fighting game), Rise spontaneously turns into a fighter. :atlus:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

W.T. Fits posted:

And then in Persona 4 Ultimax (the second fighting game), Rise spontaneously turns into a fighter. :atlus:

Which happened only 2 months after PQ's release, no less. :haw:

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 23, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

14 levels down, 27 more levels to go. Or rather, that's 366848 more points of exp to go! That's 17 more King Penguin kills! :suicide: Why did they have to make grinding such a pain in EO3?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

14 levels down, 27 more levels to go. Or rather, that's 366848 more points of exp to go! That's 17 more King Penguin kills! :suicide: Why did they have to make grinding such a pain in EO3?

Just Action Replay the hell out of it, imo.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I wonder how much of my EO3 time on my 3DS is distributed between King Penguin/the later exploit grinding, and how much of my EO4 time is killing golden sheep (and later golden alligators + golden mantises). :v:

Would writing an AutoHotkey script or something along the likes of that be feasible, or does Desmume react badly to that?

Rea fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 24, 2015

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, that makes the game so much more fun since you can just gently caress around with classes.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, I don't think any of us are going to blame you for outright cheating, if it's for the sack of speeding things up a bit.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
We will not blame Fetus for cheating to get Charlotte up to par.

But Charlotte would!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Supremezero posted:

We will not blame Fetus for cheating to get Charlotte up to par.

But Charlotte would!

Given the friend of mine whom I based Charlotte on, and her Fire Emblem habits...no. She really wouldn't. :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Only a fool grinds legit, when you can do some l33t hax and save so much time.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

and her Fire Emblem habits
don't think those went unnoticed, by the way :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I donno guys, 40% HP/30% TP/70% Strength/40% Technique/70% Agility/25% Vitality/10% Luck might work out, but I think we might have better luck benching her and waiting for the next Myrmidon the game throws at us.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

alcharagia posted:

I donno guys, 40% HP/30% TP/70% Strength/40% Technique/70% Agility/25% Vitality/10% Luck might work out, but I think we might have better luck benching her and waiting for the next Myrmidon the game throws at us.

She's the last Myrmidon we get though! Do we have any options besides cheating in the 90/0/90/40/10/90/5 robot that can't support with anyone?

:v:

Speaking of robots, here's some stuff about Olympia from the EO3 artbook so this post isn't just piggybacking off another joke:

Rea fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 24, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Eh, who needs Myrms anyway when you've got stats like Sidney's? Can I hear God Archer? Wolt should take lessons.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Looking at the sketches of Olympia actually made me realize...did no-one really notice the metallic bits of her chassis or her goddamn robot spine when she was masquerading as an explorer? They're pretty clearly visible through her cloak.

also I'm glad Himukai opted out of the empty eyes for Olympia because good lord those are creepy

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They were covered by her dialogue box, silly.
She just kept talking to people who came into the labyrinth so they never noticed.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Looking at the sketches of Olympia actually made me realize...did no-one really notice the metallic bits of her chassis or her goddamn robot spine when she was masquerading as an explorer? They're pretty clearly visible through her cloak.

Well, glowy-eye Shogun tried, but they thought that he meant he was an evil robot bent on destruction and locked him up.

theshim
May 1, 2012

alcharagia posted:

what the gently caress, a myrm with a 70% str growth and you're not using it??

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

theshim posted:

what the gently caress, a myrm with a 70% str growth and you're not using it??

You'll see how you feel when she gets screwed and has 25 HP and 5 Vitality at 20/20.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Time to farm Angelic Robes from the 4th stratum FOEs, I guess :sigh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

also I'm glad Himukai opted out of the empty eyes for Olympia because good lord those are creepy

You might notice it for the one whole second you see her entire portrait, and then it gets mostly covered up by the text box.

Also I only played the beginning parts of 7 and Awakening, so I'm afraid any Fire Emblem references in that submission may have flown over my... Oh son of a gaarrggh! :suicide: Well looks like this playthrough has turned into an Etrian Odyssey Nuzlocke. :v: (Yes, people actually do those.)

Dunno when I can get the next update up, since a power outage has destroyed my internet for a few days. I'll see what I can do in the meantime.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I was mostly referring to the explorers she killed in-game, not people in the thread. Whoops.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Eh, under the cloak it does slightly look like armour. And she survived in the labyrinth pretty well by herself, maybe people thought she was a Hoplite.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh son of a gaarrggh! :suicide: Well looks like this playthrough has turned into an Etrian Odyssey Nuzlocke. :v: (Yes, people actually do those.)

Looks like Fetus has made the decision to pick his Killer LP... and kill!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Actually it's even worse than permadeath; if we assume Charlotte is the commander of the party/army, the most fragile party member has the same "game over if killed" flag that most Lords (and Robin) do. :v:

F-Faye... Everyone... I'm sorry...

Charlotte, NO! You can't die here! OPEN YOUR EYES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Kaishaku is going to be maxed, right?

• Locked thread