Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Joementum posted:

Someone in Amazon's marketing department thought this would be a totally chill and cool ad design for NYC subways.

Correction: someone in Amazon's marketing department thought this would get a lot of free press for their show.

Seriously though, that's pretty hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

Correction: someone in Amazon's marketing department thought this would get a lot of free press for their show.

Did it work?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I've seen a fair amount of local media coverage. The mayor and I think one or two other politicians came out and said they shouldn't have done it/should take it down.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The crazy thing about Trump vocalizing what the Republicans had usually dogwhistled before is that instead of being called out for it, the media is doubling down on their "the truth is in the middle" nature.

How long until we get a Republican candidate who is a vocal Holocaust denier, forcing media outlets to note "The Holocaust, which most believe occurred"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The other side of the train celebrates imperial Japan, if the nazis were too mainstream for you.

zoux posted:

Did it work?

That's the second or third time it's been posted in the past day or so in this thread alone, well above that for the forums as a whole, and I've seen it on just about every news site I regularly read, so what do you think?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Amergin posted:

According to one of the original articles in the Ottawa Sun, it sounds like the Student Federation wanted to close it as they considered it appropriation, likely due to the focus on the physical and mindful aspects of it and not the historical or spiritual aspects. The teacher tried pitching renaming the class to "mindful stretching" but the French translation wasn't a good fit...? So they put it on hiatus while they debate further.

Basically if you don't delve into all aspects and cultural connotations and context, it's appropriation. This is why we can't have nice things.

Okay so this happened in Canada so of course this is the fault of American liberals? That's what gets to me is that they use things that dint even happen in America to tar Americans fighting for social justice because they're all sad they can't get away with being racist anymore.

Not that I don't think it's kind if absurd to shut down a yoga class, but if it's just closed till they just call it something else I'm not sure what the problem is

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Joementum posted:

Someone in Amazon's marketing department thought this would be a totally chill and cool ad design for NYC subways.

In the series, the stars are actually swastikas, so this is clearly the (relatively) "non-offensive" alternative. :allears:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 24, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Very important documentary from Roll Call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkLrmGb7RHo

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

KomradeX posted:

Okay so this happened in Canada so of course this is the fault of American liberals? That's what gets to me is that they use things that dint even happen in America to tar Americans fighting for social justice because they're all sad they can't get away with being racist anymore.

Not that I don't think it's kind if absurd to shut down a yoga class, but if it's just closed till they just call it something else I'm not sure what the problem is

1) Canada might as well be the US in this context. There is not a vast difference between Canadian and American higher education.
2) Most conservatives who are making hay out of the issue of "PC gone mad" and "safe spaces ruin free speech" don't mention this being an American problem, specifically. They mention it being a problem in universities and a problem with youth, not necessarily American youth. If you read Canadian conservative news outlets they'll probably be making the same hay.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

JT Jag posted:

The crazy thing about Trump vocalizing what the Republicans had usually dogwhistled before is that instead of being called out for it, the media is doubling down on their "the truth is in the middle" nature.

How long until we get a Republican candidate who is a vocal Holocaust denier, forcing media outlets to note "The Holocaust, which most believe occurred"

Trump has expressed doubt about the Holocaust, the existence of which has been subject to decades of dispute,

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Joementum posted:

At least someone had the bright idea that putting swastikas on American flags and scattering them around NYC might be a bad idea

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 24, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Swan Oat posted:

Trump has expressed doubt about the Holocaust, the existence of which has been subject to decades of dispute,
"While the candidate believes that the earth is flat, experts disagree."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

So is it true Trump got his /pol/ murder statistics to elicit a response to them?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Joementum posted:

What else would you expect from a turtle?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My thought was that while its just a matter of taste in the US, due to laws in Germany they probably don't want any swastikas in printed objects distributed, the show can digitally alter them.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Amergin posted:

1) Canada might as well be the US in this context. There is not a vast difference between Canadian and American higher education.
2) Most conservatives who are making hay out of the issue of "PC gone mad" and "safe spaces ruin free speech" don't mention this being an American problem, specifically. They mention it being a problem in universities and a problem with youth, not necessarily American youth. If you read Canadian conservative news outlets they'll probably be making the same hay.

I don't know anything about Canadian higher education, but I can see it. But yes ask this is about is still continuing the Nixon divide, of stroking 40 year old white working class male hate for intellectualism and youth.

Christ I just finished reading Nixonland last week and it is depressing how almost nothing has changed in 50 years. It took me ages to get through it cause I had to close it and walk away for weeks at a time. I'm no longer looking forward to reading The Invisible Bridge since I imagine it week be much the same

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KomradeX posted:

I don't know anything about Canadian higher education, but I can see it. But yes ask this is about is still continuing the Nixon divide, of stroking 40 year old white working class male hate for intellectualism and youth.

Christ I just finished reading Nixonland last week and it is depressing how almost nothing has changed in 50 years. It took me ages to get through it cause I had to close it and walk away for weeks at a time. I'm no longer looking forward to reading The Invisible Bridge since I imagine it week be much the same
The Invisible Bridge will make you just as angry

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why do you read all these books just to get angry and double your blood pressure about political movements you can't do anything about?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Livestream of BLM march in Minneapolis. Just started at 2.

http://livestream.com/unicornriot/events/4512162

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why do you read all these books just to get angry and double your blood pressure about political movements you can't do anything about?

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
So the Russia/Turkey thing? That's going to get worse before it gets better.

Apparently one of the two pilots was killed by ground fire as they ejected, and a Russian marine was killed in action trying to extract the remaining pilot.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's easy to hate on police, until you want them to do something for you.

How is this not a condemnation of the police even in the phrasing and meaning you've given it?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Raerlynn posted:

Apparently one of the two pilots was killed by ground fire as they ejected, and a Russian marine was killed in action trying to extract the remaining pilot.

That seems pretty hosed up.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Silver Nitrate posted:

Livestream of BLM march in Minneapolis. Just started at 2.

http://livestream.com/unicornriot/events/4512162

Are the building a giant bonfire?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm a historian and part of my studies is the American Conservative Movement. I don't think there's nothing I, or anyone can do about since what makes this so anger inducing is that this movement is still going strong. It's the movement that gave us George W., the Tea Party, Teddy Cruz and Donald Trump

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Amazon has reached their viral marketing goals and is having the Nazi subway ads pulled.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

Amazon has reached their viral marketing goals and is having the Nazi subway ads pulled.

Once again the SJWs are victorious :dawkins101:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Raerlynn posted:

That part actually was rebels.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Are the building a giant bonfire?

Nah, that's just wood for the fire pits to keep the protesters warm. It's cold here.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJf8NUtLqzQ

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Combed Thunderclap posted:

In the series, the stars are actually swastikas, so this is clearly the (relatively) "non-offensive" alternative. :allears:
I was really hoping this was gonna be 50 swastikas. You let me down.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I was really hoping this was gonna be 50 swastikas. You let me down.

The Nazis don't control the entirety of the United States in that show, so that would be a weird flag design.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kro-Bar posted:

The Nazis don't control the entirety of the United States in that show, so that would be a weird flag design.

Looking forward to the Bill Kristol article about how the Greater Nazi Reich is actually the good guy.

Also, someone on the Rubio campaign is gonna get chewed out tonight.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The premise of that show is a bit of a 'reich'.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mozi posted:

The premise of that show is a bit of a 'reich'.

Its like someone watched the new Wolfenstein: New Order and thought it would make a great sequel.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
NAACP alleges cops 'behind' last night's shooting in Minnesota, says they have video of undercover cops leaving scene

Prediction: truth or not all this amounts to is a line used by conservatives to dismiss the incident

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Those subway adverts sure raised a Fuhrer.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

CommieGIR posted:

Its like someone watched the new Wolfenstein: New Order and thought it would make a great sequel.

Except it predates your video game by 47 years

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

NAACP alleges cops 'behind' last night's shooting in Minnesota, says they have video of undercover cops leaving scene

Prediction: truth or not all this amounts to is a line used by conservatives to dismiss the incident

Look, some of those that join forces might be the same that burn crosses but they have a hard job and we should still support them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

http://www.failedtaskpodcast.com/blog/2015/11/23/hate-lives-in-a-small-town-spencer-in

Here have some news from Indiana. For reference, Spencer is relatively left-leaning and open minded as far a small Indiana towns go, and is just a stone's throw from the lone "go here if you're liberal and want your vote to count for something" town in the state. Of course so is Elletsville which gave us the gin-soaked crying grandma video we all loved after the Marriage Equality decision sooooo

Dude makes a fake link saying "SPENCER TO ACCEPT 200 REFUGEES" that redirects to a "haha you got pranked loser" page to prank his right wing buddy and suddenly discovers just how jinoistic and racist his town is when it spreads beyond them and people flip their poo poo. Bear in mind that every single person expressing outrage in the comments literally did not even click on the link.

Then a councilman tries to strongarm him and settles for being super petty and passive aggressive.

edit - oh yeah and prominent PA politicians/evangelicals have come out as pro-skinhead

• Locked thread