Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
"He's not very good" THIS FILTH WILL LEAVE AN IMPRESSION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

I keep dogmeat around because lone wanderer still applies when using him but good LORD does he get in the way of everything, how about making him loving noclip or something because getting trapped in a room while slowing pushing him out of the way or having to fumble with the command menu is atrocious

Does dogmeat like you less when you try to trade, but he moves, the menu vanishes, and you shoot him in the face on accident/purpose?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks. Reading it now.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Rhymenoserous posted:

ahahaha. Nice.

I can, at least, claim *eventual* self-awareness. :saddowns:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
*valid critiquing being done* YOU DARE SPEAK AT YOUR GOD? BOW AND GIVE TRIBUTE in the form of finishing this kickstarter

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

*valid critiquing being done* YOU DARE SPEAK AT YOUR GOD? BOW AND GIVE TRIBUTE in the form of finishing this kickstarter

Except for the part where Sion explicitly says that if you don't like his writing, or think that the subject matter is dumb, that's fine and your prerogative, but lashing out and being nasty about it is another. What you are saying Sion said and what is actually written in the article are two different things. At least try to engage with what was actually written. Critiquing the book is one thing, but I really do not understand the hate that got thrown at Scott Manley about his youtube history of the fountain war.

Or wait, maybe this is beyond your reading comprehension? The argument is somewhat nuanced. (though not that much.)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'm not giving it any money. It's going to be horrible.

EDIT: But I don't think it's going to be Jeff Edwards fault, Eve has too many weird things that would be hard to tie into a "Out of game narrative" with a lot of hand wringing et al.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Citizen Rat posted:

Except for the part where Sion explicitly says that if you don't like his writing, or think that the subject matter is dumb, that's fine and your prerogative, but lashing out and being nasty about it is another. What you are saying Sion said and what is actually written in the article are two different things. At least try to engage with what was actually written. Critiquing the book is one thing, but I really do not understand the hate that got thrown at Scott Manley about his youtube history of the fountain war.

Or wait, maybe this is beyond your reading comprehension? The argument is somewhat nuanced. (though not that much.)

Look at that filth. It doesn't matter what you think of Mittani, goons, or this website. Treating a professional author with mean-spirited hate is a great way to ensure that EVE never, ever, gets a high caliber author.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Also that article is way out of character and tone for Sion. I feel like I read the literary version of "Leave britney alone".

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I'm sorry but that first paragraph is not criticism in good faith. I'm not sure what to say to you if you think it was. There is a way to offer criticism without being a complete douche about it, though I think that might be lost on this crowd.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm not giving it any money. It's going to be horrible.

EDIT: But I don't think it's going to be Jeff Edwards fault, Eve has too many weird things that would be hard to tie into a "Out of game narrative" with a lot of hand wringing et al.

There's going to be a postmortem for the KS, and this type of feedback would be useful. I mean, I think they know the ones about "shoot your outside PR person in the head" ones, but critiques about whether or not a fiction piece is even something people want and why they wouldn't--as actually critique on the project--would be useful.

Citizen Rat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 24, 2015

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I absolutely will because I'm a huge nerd that has purchased every eve book except eve source released thus far.

And honestly, dudeguy's writing wasn't really that bad. He's better than Tony Gonzales, and I straight up enjoyed Empyrian Age (Templar one was okay but I think I just didn't like that he shoehorned the same main characters into the new story).

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rhymenoserous posted:

Also that article is way out of character and tone for Sion. I feel like I read the literary version of "Leave britney alone".

Ding ding ding,

did you miss my first post on the matter or what

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE
That one post quoted in the Sion article about reddit imploding from grr goons was really good.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

I absolutely will because I'm a huge nerd that has purchased every eve book except eve source released thus far.

And honestly, dudeguy's writing wasn't really that bad. He's better than Tony Gonzales, and I straight up enjoyed Empyrian Age (Templar one was okay but I think I just didn't like that he shoehorned the same main characters into the new story).

I just remember doing a full body cringe after reading the comic book about us.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Citizen Rat posted:

Can you explain how saying "I don't think Jeff Edwards is that good of a writer (going off his previous works) compared to others in the genre" is being nasty? It's having an opinion/critique on his writing style and comparing it to other authors in the genre he comes/works in. It's like saying "Heinlein's books aren't that good, and doesn't hold up to Asimov" and then being told you're being nasty to Heinlein.

For the most part that's the only perplexing part of Sion's piece, which may be bias on my part since I'm referring to a comment I made that he is screeching about being "nasty."

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
http://failheap-challenge.com/showthread.php?20388-The-Shitposting-Thread&p=1414919&viewfull=1#post1414919 speaking of book howlers, maybe img-timeline but holy lawl Grath

But yeah if you want to whine about a guy being a bad author when Vernor Vinge, Pierce Brown and Greg Bear are behind him, go nuts.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Still bought it. Despite the fact that the only good bit was the third bit because it had no stupid bits on how some dumb guy was mittens' jump clone and the art was actually good.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ding ding ding,

did you miss my first post on the matter or what

I mean I figured it out, but among the eve crowd that article was the equivalent of trying to snuff out a fire with a barrel of whiny gasoline. The best thing to do was to just shut the gently caress up about it and let it go away.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Rhymenoserous posted:

I mean I figured it out, but among the eve crowd that article was the equivalent of trying to snuff out a fire with a barrel of whiny gasoline. The best thing to do was to just shut the gently caress up about it and let it go away.

That's an attack piece dude, there's no attempt to put out any fires at all with a salvo like that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Numismancer posted:

http://failheap-challenge.com/showthread.php?20388-The-Shitposting-Thread&p=1414919&viewfull=1#post1414919 speaking of book howlers, maybe img-timeline but holy lawl Grath

But yeah if you want to whine about a guy being a bad author when Vernor Vinge, Pierce Brown and Greg Bear are behind him, go nuts.

I don't think anyone here thinks he's a bad author, most of us just think the task of making the Eve universe not read as slightly retarded while staying true enough to the subject material to not offend the nerds that would buy it is going to be... well probably impossible.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Numismancer posted:

That's an attack piece dude, there's no attempt to put out any fires at all with a salvo like that.

A salvo of napalm maybe.

Seriously I think Sion sorta misjudged that one

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

Can you explain how saying "I don't think Jeff Edwards is that good of a writer (going off his previous works) compared to others in the genre" is being nasty? It's having an opinion/critique on his writing style and comparing it to other authors in the genre he comes/works in. It's like saying "Heinlein's books aren't that good, and doesn't hold up to Asimov" and then being told you're being nasty to Heinlein.

For the most part that's the only perplexing part of Sion's piece, which may be bias on my part since I'm referring to a comment I made that he is screeching about being "nasty."

I ... no. Actually, I am a little perplexed about why your comment got included in the piece. Except perhaps it is being cited in the wrong part of the article? Though, again, I would say there is a difference between critique and insult-disguised-as-critique. And your comment reads more like an insult than an opinion.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I think people at TMC underestimated how emotional people will react to the subject matter. In my eyes for a lot of the "not CFC" people it's the equivalent of asking the French to kickstart a book about Waterloo, the Persians to to fund a book about the Battle of Gaugamela or the Arabs to fund a book about the Six Day war in 1970 with the argument that it would really further the understanding mankind has of history.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rhymenoserous posted:

sorry, i was quoting you and also talking to mittaniwife at the same time

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I mean from what the guy has described his style as it would be very similar to Gaunts Ghosts by Dan Abnet where the viewpoint jumps around a lot and I eat that poo poo up, but still it's the eve universe. I have my doubts.

All in all and this is entire opinion here: This was the wrong war to write about. You should have made it a series, start with installing TEST as the overlords of fountain and killing the last true remnant of old BoB under molle. It builds off of the comic, and gives you plenty of time for Pt2 "THE BETRAYAL" at a later point.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

I keep dogmeat around because lone wanderer still applies when using him but good LORD does he get in the way of everything, how about making him loving noclip or something because getting trapped in a room while slowing pushing him out of the way or having to fumble with the command menu is atrocious

I'm playing a pretty full on stealth/charisma build so don't bother with companions due to the fact that more often than not they gently caress off and get me spotted. Though I do wish that I could keep Nick Valentine around more.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I really wanted that comic to be good, in the end it was just bad to mediocre with some good art every now and again. Also I still have no loving clue what that cover had to do with the story at all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah, Templar One wasn't bad (and boy, as someone who reads WH40K books, I know what bad books look like :shepface:). It was a nice explanation about DUST-soldiers and it now collects dust wedged inbetween EVE: Source and that newer EVE-artbook.

And I like Greg Bear, if he thinks Edwards is good, I'll give him a chance.

GaussianCopula posted:

I think people at TMC underestimated how emotional people will react to the subject matter. In my eyes for a lot of the "not CFC" people it's the equivalent of asking the French to kickstart a book about Waterloo, the Persians to to fund a book about the Battle of Gaugamela or the Arabs to fund a book about the Six Day war in 1970 with the argument that it would really further the understanding mankind has of history.

But it isn't and those guys are emotionally children if they really think like that. EVE is still a game, not a collection of real live events you can get worked up about. (Also I would totally read a French perspective about Waterloo.)

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Citizen Rat posted:

I ... no. Actually, I am a little perplexed about why your comment got included in the piece. Except perhaps it is being cited in the wrong part of the article? Though, again, I would say there is a difference between critique and insult-disguised-as-critique. And your comment reads more like an insult than an opinion.

Harsh criticisms can still be valid criticisms, it feels like you're too invested in this cause you're really defensive over the milquetoastest poo poo that came out The Big Announcement. Were those really the most vicious things that could be found?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Libluini posted:

But it isn't and those guys are emotionally children if they really think like that. EVE is still a game, not a collection of real live events you can get worked up about. (Also I would totally read a French perspective about Waterloo.)

We're walking into a glass houses situation here with how "Real" we've allowed it to get in the past between us and say BoB. If BoB had won the greater war but we continued to wander eve and they decided to have a book written about how we got our faces smashed in you can be absolutely sure goons would be poorly behaved during and after the failed kickstarter. Anyone buying into our elder statesmen poo poo completely ignores the fact that goons still by and large are a pack of trolls on the internet. The fact that some people sometimes manage to aim those tendencies in useful directions doesn't change the fact that ultimately we helped forge the toxic community we currently wallow in.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Harsh criticisms can still be valid criticisms, it feels like you're too invested in this cause you're really defensive over the milquetoastest poo poo that came out The Big Announcement. Were those really the most vicious things that could be found?

I didn't write the piece, so I don't know what the selection criteria was or how far the searching went. And no, the comment that you cited was just insulting. Sorry. "Harsh criticisms" aren't criticisms. They are not offered in good faith or with intention of critique. They are just insults hiding under the disguise of "just being honest~~."

And I do get a bit defensive when it come to the reddit crew, because when they get really going I'm the one who gets the threats.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Citizen Rat posted:

And I do get a bit defensive when it come to the reddit crew, because when they get really going I'm the one who gets the threats.

fair enough, I forgot about that

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Honestly, I worry more about one of the little passive-aggressive shits trying to poison the dog or something. Because Sitka has yet to meet a treat from a stranger she won't take.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Just delete the article, it comes off as super sour grapes and if you are attempting to "Sell our brand" a "Well I guess that didn't work, what would you look for in an eve novel about player actions?" article would get you a lot more community interaction/goodwill than having a good yell about it.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Libluini posted:

Isn't the fact that "those people" care about poo poo like e-honor a constant source of amusement? If the CFC is above those petty feelings I don't know why they didn't make the book about the demise of the (original) Northern Coalition which, as part of a larger story arc, is a much better story to tell than the Fountain war, which basically was "CFC crushes TEST while NC. and PL watch in disgust".

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

Isn't the fact that "those people" care about poo poo like e-honor a constant source of amusement? If the CFC is above those petty feelings I don't know why they didn't make the book about the demise of the (original) Northern Coalition which, as part of a larger story arc, is a much better story to tell than the Fountain war, which basically was "CFC crushes TEST while NC. and PL watch in disgust".

Probably because BR-5 was in the fountain war? Unless I am misremembering what happened when and during which war. Things getting a little confusing, time line wise.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Citizen Rat posted:

Honestly, I worry more about one of the little passive-aggressive shits trying to poison the dog or something. Because Sitka has yet to meet a treat from a stranger she won't take.

Sitka should make more appearances in this thread.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Boogalo posted:

Does dogmeat like you less when you try to trade, but he moves, the menu vanishes, and you shoot him in the face on accident/purpose?

Never not shoot dogmeat in the face. But really, he's ace for Lone Wanderer.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Rhymenoserous posted:

Just delete the article, it comes off as super sour grapes and if you are attempting to "Sell our brand" a "Well I guess that didn't work, what would you look for in an eve novel about player actions?" article would get you a lot more community interaction/goodwill than having a good yell about it.

Since it was published an hour ago, we've gotten six new backers. One doesn't wilt in the face of unhinged attacks: one attacks back, harder. gently caress'em.

The KS was gutshot from the outset on account of us relying on external PR agency advice which all turned out to be hideous. Regardless of that, you're not going to see our crew kowtow to a howling mob, and 'just delete the article' for calling out those howlers is weak.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Citizen Rat posted:

Probably because BR-5 was in the fountain war? Unless I am misremembering what happened when and during which war. Things getting a little confusing, time line wise.

BR-5 was the Halloween War which was later. The Fountain war had the one battle, in which CCP fat-fingered the system thingy which would otherwise have been a cap bloodbath and the battle of 6VDT-H, which is probably still the largest battle in EvE history measured by player count, even though it was more a victory parade than a real battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Numismancer posted:

Yeah I wasn't really trying to get at that he was a terrible hack writer or anything. It was in response to someone hyping him up and stating that I thought his previous works don''t match the hype given when compared to others in the genre. That's not an attack, its called a critique. Like I said, it's akin to someone saying "Stranger in a Strange Land isn't that good when compared to The Man in the High Castle (or whatever other novel you want to substitute in)."

Citizen Rat posted:

It wasn't intended to be an insult, but if that's how it came across then that's an error on my end.

On paper the novel makes sense and probably could have been done a few years ago (assuming CCP could've been convinced). The only qualms I ever really had were the setting which I've opened up to, and the tier rewards which seem to have been addressed.

The freaking out over it being "another way for Mittani to make money" is as dumb as Gevlon's recent article. That is to say, very.

• Locked thread