Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Cragar SS wheels were/are used on everything from old Mustangs to new Challengers.

Do new challengers have rusty drum brakes?

Douchebag level: audi.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Powershift posted:

Do new challengers have rusty drum brakes?

Douchebag level: audi.

What are those... personal lockable stalls or something?

I'm assuming you undo the lock, and the yellow bars lower down like the one on the right

What's the point of doing the lock back up once your car is parked... so many questions

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

What are those... personal lockable stalls or something?

I'm assuming you undo the lock, and the yellow bars lower down like the one on the right

What's the point of doing the lock back up once your car is parked... so many questions

It'd be harder to steal without loving it up is my thought.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's probably a pay-by-the-hour parking lot, like in Japan. When you drive in, the little gate comes up, locking your car in. When you pay, the gate comes down.

Audi guy went in diagonally because Audi owners are irredeemable douchebags.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
We get a f350 dually longbed quad cab school bus motherfucker that comes around every now and then. Today it was on the schedule for "tire blew out"

This is some ladies truck she uses for the roofing company she owns and I guess her boyfriend helps out with. Well as she arrived to survey the damage, the truth came out that homie borrowed the truck last night unbeknownst to her and clearly hit something on the highway like a dividing barrier most likely from the other scrapes,and blowing the front tire. So he drove it like 2 miles on the highway, off the onramp and another half mile to a grocery store parking lot. One can assume alcohol was involved. The way she let him have it in our shop, he would be better off sittin in the drunk tank.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 24, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

The way she let him have it in our shop, he would be better off sittin in the drunk tank.
Lol, like getting berated by your best girl is worse than being in police custody.

A+ story otherwise

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's probably a pay-by-the-hour parking lot, like in Japan. When you drive in, the little gate comes up, locking your car in. When you pay, the gate comes down.

Audi guy went in diagonally because Audi owners are irredeemable douchebags.

I've seen a lot of those where it would be super easy to just jump the curb and escape without paying, but apparently there are countries where the people don't just 24/7 try to screw the system. If that was America or Canada everyone would be the Audi guy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

We get a f350 dually longbed quad cab school bus motherfucker that comes around every now and then. Today it was on the schedule for "tire blew out"

This is some ladies truck she uses for the roofing company she owns and I guess her boyfriend helps out with. Well as she arrived to survey the damage, the truth came out that homie borrowed the truck last night unbeknownst to her and clearly hit something on the highway like a dividing barrier most likely from the other scrapes,and blowing the front tire. So he drove it like 2 miles on the highway, off the onramp and another half mile to a grocery store parking lot. One can assume alcohol was involved. The way she let him have it in our shop, he would be better off sittin in the drunk tank.

American highways must be absolutely dreadful from the number of pictures like that I've seen.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slavvy posted:

American highways must be absolutely dreadful from the number of pictures like that I've seen.

The highways are fine, it's all the assholes on them that are the problem.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

EKDS5k posted:

I've seen a lot of those where it would be super easy to just jump the curb and escape without paying, but apparently there are countries where the people don't just 24/7 try to screw the system. If that was America or Canada everyone would be the Audi guy.
Reason to own a F40: free parking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS1PlOue9Sk
There's another video I'm thinking of, but couldn't find it.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

CharlesM posted:

This one, perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQZLd6AABE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

re. rustchat -- today one of my brake lines blew up just as I got off the freeway. Came to a stop at the end of the offramp and the pedal went right to the floor. Luckily nothing bad happened and this is your regular reminder that AAA Plus is always worth the cost.

Got the car to the garage with brake fluid pouring out all over the bed of the tow truck. Mechanic calls me an hour later. First question: "is this car from around here?" (California). Sigh. No, it spent its first six years in the northeast. "Oh, yeah, cause your lines are just rusted right through."

:argh: salt

CharlesM posted:

Reason to own a F40: free parking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS1PlOue9Sk

I've been to a few parking garages where they have a prominent :shrug: MOTORCYCLES PARK FREE :shrug: sign for I assume this same reason.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 24, 2015

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

netally posted:

I so want this to be real.

Terrible owner stuff

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I would share that, but I'm scared that one of my non-car guy friends would actually do it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Raluek posted:

The highways are fine...

Look at this guy who's never driven in Michigan.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

He said American, not third world.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Not sure which thread I should post it in, but I came across this just now and had to share. Decided on this one because while the idea seems solid, the guy seems a bit unhinged. Dude wants to make a turbine/electric-powered LLV replacement. Because a jet will run on anything, so it solves our reliance on oil/is better for the environment!

I'm pretty sure he's missed a few reasons why turbine-powered cars and alternative fuels never really took off. As far as I know, the failure of the former wasn't because of torque issues (that's why he thinks turbine cars failed, and his is better because it's a turboshaft turning a generator to run electric motors, I'm pretty sure there's a reason that's not common outside emergency backup generators either -- didn't they try it on locomotives once?).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

netally posted:

I so want this to be real.

if he put sugar in the gas tank... why is the oil pan full of sugar?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Delivery McGee posted:

Not sure which thread I should post it in, but I came across this just now and had to share. Decided on this one because while the idea seems solid, the guy seems a bit unhinged. Dude wants to make a turbine/electric-powered LLV replacement. Because a jet will run on anything, so it solves our reliance on oil/is better for the environment!

I'm pretty sure he's missed a few reasons why turbine-powered cars and alternative fuels never really took off. As far as I know, the failure of the former wasn't because of torque issues (that's why he thinks turbine cars failed, and his is better because it's a turboshaft turning a generator to run electric motors, I'm pretty sure there's a reason that's not common outside emergency backup generators either -- didn't they try it on locomotives once?).

mail guy just tosses your mail onto your lawn as he rolls by because throttling back up after stopping takes too long

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

if he put sugar in the gas tank... why is the oil pan full of sugar?

I feel like the sugar would just get trapped in the fuel filter/pump and that'd be it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

atomicthumbs posted:

mail guy just tosses your mail onto your lawn as he rolls by because throttling back up after stopping takes too long

Apparently they use J57s in backup gensets for exactly the opposite reason, amusingly -- diesel gensets take a good ten minutes to warm up before you can load them, a jet is at 90-something % throttle and ready for more the instant it fires. (Source: that jet mechanic on youtube, I forget which video.)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Raluek posted:

He said American, not third world.

Truer than you know.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Delivery McGee posted:

Apparently they use J57s in backup gensets for exactly the opposite reason, amusingly -- diesel gensets take a good ten minutes to warm up before you can load them, a jet is at 90-something % throttle and ready for more the instant it fires. (Source: that jet mechanic on youtube, I forget which video.)

Backup diesel gensets are ready to load up in under 10 seconds.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Delivery McGee posted:

As far as I know, the failure of the former wasn't because of torque issues (that's why he thinks turbine cars failed, and his is better because it's a turboshaft turning a generator to run electric motors, I'm pretty sure there's a reason that's not common outside emergency backup generators either -- didn't they try it on locomotives once?).

I think it's more the "ridiculously loud" and "fuckoff hot exhaust" issues.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Melting bumpers of people behind you, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs

quote:

After Chrysler finished the user program and other public displays of the cars, 46 of them were destroyed. Chrysler announced that this was necessary to avoid a stiff tariff, but that was only part of the story. The destruction of the cars was in line with the automobile industry's practice of not selling non-production or prototype cars to the public. This practice was also later used by General Motors with its EV1.

Of the remaining nine cars, six had the engines de-activated and then they were donated to museums around the country. Chrysler retained three operational turbine cars for historical reasons. One turbine car that is functional, owned by the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, was photographed for Mopar Action magazine, and appears at car shows around the United States from time to time.

Only two Chrysler Turbine Cars are in the hands of private collectors: One was purchased by private automobile collector Frank Kleptz of Terre Haute, Indiana and is functional. Kleptz's Turbine Car was originally donated to the former Harrah museum in Nevada. The second one is owned by comedian and television host Jay Leno, who purchased one of the three Chrysler Turbine Cars which had been originally retained by Chrysler.[13] Leno wrote that

Most were destroyed by Chrysler for tax and liability reasons, which is a shame, because to this day everyone who rides in a Turbine says, "Whoa, this feels like the future!" You turn the key and there's a big woosh and a complete absence of vibration... I think it's the most collectible American car—it was so different. Most of all, the Chrysler Turbine is a reminder that all the cool stuff used to be made in the U.S. I hope it will be again.[14]

Wrong thread, though. Awesome car stuff. Except for what Chrysler did with the 46 of them.

E: the melting bumper was from his original EcoJet car, not the Chrysler Turbine. My bad.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 25, 2015

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

nollij posted:

Backup diesel gensets are ready to load up in under 10 seconds.

Yeah, but it can't be good for 'em. Sorry, I was taken in by jet propaganda :v:

Boat posted:

I think it's more the "ridiculously loud" and "fuckoff hot exhaust" issues.
No, as Leno explains, it's very quiet and Chrysler went to great lengths to cool the exhaust -- its tailpipe is actually cooler than a piston engine's. The problem is that jets are much more expensive to build and service. If the dude with the LLV replacement project was halfway sane, he'd modify the engine from a VW Jetta -- the US military figured out multifuel diesels in the '50s, didn't they? Only reason the Abrams is turbine-powered is because the jet has a better power/weight ratio to save weight for more armor (at the expense of ridiculously low fuel mileage, also a problem with the turbine car). Using it with an electric transmission might help with that last bit, but on the other hand, there's got to be a reason why locomotives are still diesel-electric and only naval ships use turbine-electric power.

Kinda want to see the turbine equivalent of the Merlin-powered Beast. A 4000hp GE T64 out of a CH-53E ought to do nicely. Or maybe not:

quote:

Specific fuel consumption: 0.48 lb/hp-hr
That's near enough a ton an hour, which my watch tells me is about 267 gallons (I think? You use "oil lbs" for jet/diesel and "fuel lbs" for gas on the whiz wheel, right?). That explains why that engine's only used in really big helicopters/cargo planes, then.

It'd get from truckstop to truckstop really fuckin' fast, though, assuming there was no traffic. If there's a red light, you might run out of fuel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Delivery McGee posted:

the US military figured out multifuel diesels in the '50s, didn't they?

Yes, sorta, well, they asked White/Continental to figure it out. It's neither powerful nor efficient. If you want an 1800lb engine that makes 190hp, 425 foot pounds peak, has a safe maximum speed of 2400rpm and a short-term redline of 2600rpm, and gets 5mpg no matter what you do with it, multifuel diesel is for you.

Otherwise, stick to a gas or diesel engine designed in the last 20 years.

PS: I have one, it's a white/continental LDS-465-1A. I'll quite gladly trade it for a reasonable condition 12 valve 6BTA5.9 Cummins*, complete, with a #2 or #1 SAE flywheel housing. I'll even toss some money in on the deal.

* a 6CTA8.3 would also be welcome :swoon:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Geirskogul posted:

Melting bumpers of people behind you, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs

Wrong thread, though. Awesome car stuff. Except for what Chrysler did with the 46 of them.

E: the melting bumper was from his original EcoJet car, not the Chrysler Turbine. My bad.

That dash, instruments, console, switches, trans tunnel, the interior in general of the chrysler turbine though... :swoon:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fo3 posted:

That dash, instruments, console, switches, the interior in general of the chrysler turbine though...

I showed this video to a friend of mine fairly recently and all he could say was "...why aren't car interiors this pretty these days?" The inside of an awful lot of American cars around this are are genuine works of art, whenever there's a car show local to me I make a beeline for the US stuff of this sort of era because I know the interior is going to be pretty special if only because of the colours used.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Night Danger Moose posted:

I would share that, but I'm scared that one of my non-car guy friends would actually do it.

Same. A few months ago a very close friend of mine brought me his car to put in a new battery. I pop the hood and tell him to get the new battery he bought. The battery he brought me was massive. Like big enough he asked me where my furniture dolly was. He drives a beat up 90 something Corolla. Uh, dude, this isn't going to work.

:downs: - "Really? I don't want to replace the battery for as long as possible so I bought the biggest one they had."

Bless his heart he's the nicest guy I know but jfc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Same. A few months ago a very close friend of mine brought me his car to put in a new battery. I pop the hood and tell him to get the new battery he bought. The battery he brought me was massive. Like big enough he asked me where my furniture dolly was. He drives a beat up 90 something Corolla. Uh, dude, this isn't going to work.

:downs: - "Really? I don't want to replace the battery for as long as possible so I bought the biggest one they had."

Bless his heart he's the nicest guy I know but jfc.

I'll admit: I tend to measure my battery trays and get the biggest battery I can fit.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CommieGIR posted:

I'll admit: I tend to measure my battery trays and get the biggest battery I can fit.

Always done the same because I've always owned rotaries or ford falcons, and back in the day, a couple of amps with decent front split speakers and a sub.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CommieGIR posted:

But you know what you're doing. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You don't even really have to know what you're doing, just stop and think "hmm there are a lot of different physical dimensions being offered for sale here, perhaps I should check my car to see if it needs a particular size."

I mean no one tries cramming D batteries into their TV remote, why would they ever think that a car could accept whatever you throw at it?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

You don't even really have to know what you're doing, just stop and think "hmm there are a lot of different physical dimensions being offered for sale here, perhaps I should check my car to see if it needs a particular size."

I mean no one tries cramming D batteries into their TV remote, why would they ever think that a car could accept whatever you throw at it?

Cars are boxes of space wizardry and voodoo. Best to not think about it too much. /doesn'tchangeoilfor20k

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

xzzy posted:

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Two seasons. Winter and Road Construction. Either lovely, or lovely _and_ slows you down.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Troll?

Nobody is that dumb and posts about it... right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't imagine that someone that dumb would actually know how to drain the oil out of their engine.

There are zillions of examples online of people putting Things That Are Not Oil into the Oil Hole, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That simply can not be real.