Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Tacopocalypse posted:

*Delete Contact*

It gets better.

"I can loan you the card though." (I think I needed an Experimental Interface or something)

then what's the loving difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Deviant posted:

It gets better.

"I can loan you the card though." (I think I needed an Experimental Interface or something)

then what's the loving difference

Hahahahahahahaha.

It's stupid enough that the tournament rules require the cards.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

admanb posted:

Hahahahahahahaha.

It's stupid enough that the tournament rules require the cards.

Well that's how they sell things.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
"There's also a $5 entry fee to play at my house."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

signalnoise posted:

So is the game still set up so you pretty much have to buy every single expansion to be competitive or can you stick to a faction and be OK?

For reference my preferred faction is scum, I dunno how good they are but the meta between me and the friend I usually play with has been he kills the poo poo out of me with pure numbers every time. Chewing through endless TIEs or dealing with supershielded/hulled monstrosities, I just can't ever seem to get the job done.

I don't know how tournament-popular these days, but a lot of people have had good results with dual IG-2000's. A quick sample build might be:

IG-88C + IG-88D, both with:
-Veteran Instincts
-Heavy Laser Cannon
-Autothrusters
-Fire Control System
-IG-2000 Title
-Glitterstim

Aggressors aren't no-brainers to fly, they're big ships (and thus correspondingly bigger targets) without any turrets and they also only have 8 hitpoints which makes them comparatively fragile. That said they have good dials with plenty of green maneuvers and both a K-turn and S-loops, three red and three green dice apiece, plus boost and evade. This build in particular gives them 4 red dice at any range, Autothrusters for added defense against turrets, and IG-88C's ability gives you a free evade whenever you boost which helps their defense even more. Fire Control System means you can spend your actions boosting and evading while still acquiring target locks and IG-88D lets you S-loop with the hard turn template for even more maneuvering options. Despite how improbable it is for a robot to snort space cocaine, Glitterstim is also an excellent upgrade for the IG's, giving you one round of auto-focus on every one of your rolls apiece.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I should also point out that my proxies were properly sized, color laser-printed cards in sleeves, and drat near indistinguishable at a distance.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I play with a friend casually every Thorsday. We do some things casual, but some things Tournament. (And this is largely because he's still newer to the game, and not yet up to my level of competence.) I've told him I'm cool with card proxies (he's decided not to for his own reasons), but I'm weaning him off of checking range after moving and stuff like that.

I like tournament-quality competitive play, but proxies are a money thing and I get that. If you're having a "casual game", that's being a dick.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cobbsprite posted:

I play with a friend casually every Thorsday. We do some things casual, but some things Tournament. (And this is largely because he's still newer to the game, and not yet up to my level of competence.) I've told him I'm cool with card proxies (he's decided not to for his own reasons), but I'm weaning him off of checking range after moving and stuff like that.

I like tournament-quality competitive play, but proxies are a money thing and I get that. If you're having a "casual game", that's being a dick.

Yeah, I play "tournament rules" in the sense that we play using current rulings on cards, try not to premeasure (though of course there's the occasional "I check for target lock" lol), make sure to abide by proper order of operations when it comes to rerolling dice, etc...but I'm also pretty casual about "oh hey, you forgot to take an action with that guy, just give him a focus and call it good" and I've never once had a problem with anyone proxying something. I've loaned cards out to one guy I play with but only because he doesn't actually have any proxies to use.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I play "tournament rules" in the sense that we play using current rulings on cards, try not to premeasure (though of course there's the occasional "I check for target lock" lol), make sure to abide by proper order of operations when it comes to rerolling dice, etc...but I'm also pretty casual about "oh hey, you forgot to take an action with that guy, just give him a focus and call it good" and I've never once had a problem with anyone proxying something. I've loaned cards out to one guy I play with but only because he doesn't actually have any proxies to use.

The one thing that makes me unhappy is when I move a ship and he remembers that he didn't take an action on a guy, then wants to take an evade. I kinda get it because he takes Evades more than Focus, but "If you forgot to take an action, that ship Focused" seems like a really good default. I usually let him because I try to be sporting, but it kinda frustrates me.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I'm pretty generous with slipups, I let a guy keep his Decimator on the board after it just clipped the edge because my mat is a little short in one dimension, but I'm not a fan of going back and even assuming a focus. I've corrected too many people who think they missed an action but actually lost it because of a bump.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
In general the way we do it is that if we catch it early enough then yeah, go ahead and take your action, but if you're only realizing after half the other ships have gone "oh whoops, I didn't take an action with my Falcon" then welp, better luck next time. We all usually try to remind one another if we're forgetting to do poo poo too, like every time I use Lone Wolf I always, always forget to actually make use of it. I think if I ever go to a tournament I'm gonna have to make myself a little checklist of stuff to keep track of.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kai Tave posted:

In general the way we do it is that if we catch it early enough then yeah, go ahead and take your action, but if you're only realizing after half the other ships have gone "oh whoops, I didn't take an action with my Falcon" then welp, better luck next time. We all usually try to remind one another if we're forgetting to do poo poo too, like every time I use Lone Wolf I always, always forget to actually make use of it. I think if I ever go to a tournament I'm gonna have to make myself a little checklist of stuff to keep track of.

Get a little piece of cardboard, write "LW" or "Lone Wolf" or whatever on it, and stick it in the little slots for numbers on the base.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Cobbsprite posted:

but I'm weaning him off of checking range after moving and stuff like that.

Just to clarify, when is the proper time you can measure range?

During activation I've been playing as you can only measure range when you're trying to target lock, and only towards the ship you're trying to lock.

But I'm hazy on when during combat you can measure range. Any time? Only when you're actively "shooting" and only from that ship?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Floppychop posted:

During activation I've been playing as you can only measure range when you're trying to target lock, and only towards the ship you're trying to lock.

But I'm hazy on when during combat you can measure range. Any time? Only when you're actively "shooting" and only from that ship?

Officially you only measure range whenever you're doing something that needs to check for range (target lock or attacking) and only to the target you've selected. If you're out of range than you can try again with another target or opt to do something else. Otherwise you don't just get to measure range whenever you feel like it. You also get to measure when it comes to checking for conditional abilities like, say, Lone Wolf where you want to make sure that you're at range 3 away from other friendly ships whenever you make a roll.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

ConfusedUs posted:

Get a little piece of cardboard, write "LW" or "Lone Wolf" or whatever on it, and stick it in the little slots for numbers on the base.

I legitimately feel like that is a good idea. I'm still new to this game and I forget stuff half the time.

And to ask a question, what scum lists are considered "good" besides Brobots? I've had fun doing Fel or Vader with mini-swarms, the Falcon + friends, but with Scum it seems like it's harder (for me) to be competitive. I have a Firespray, a K-fighter, Most Wanted, and a Starviper, I'm guessing I should just do Boba and some TLT Y-wings? What about Boba and a Starviper, could that work?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Floppychop posted:

Kai Tave posted:

Officially you only measure range whenever you're doing something that needs to check for range (target lock or attacking) and only to the target you've selected. If you're out of range than you can try again with another target or opt to do something else. Otherwise you don't just get to measure range whenever you feel like it. You also get to measure when it comes to checking for conditional abilities like, say, Lone Wolf where you want to make sure that you're at range 3 away from other friendly ships whenever you make a roll.

The first time you can check range when you are attempting a target lock. You can only check from the ship that is attempting the target lock to the ship you are attempting to lock. If it is within range, you MUST target lock that ship. If it is not in range, you may do anything else.

The second time you can check range is when using a pilot ability, and you can only check range as it is appropriate to check. As an example, if you are using Lando's (pilot) ability to give a friendly ship an action, you can check which friendly ships are at Range 1 and can be the target of his ability, but you can't check range to enemy ships.

The second time you can check range is when one of your ships is attacking. When it is your ship's turn to attack, you may check range to EVERY other ship, including friendly ships and ships not in your firing arc (this can be important for bonuses like Lone Wolf". After you have checked range as many times as you want, you may choose which target to attack and roll your blanks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^Ah, good clarification on checking during attacks.

imperialparadox posted:

I legitimately feel like that is a good idea. I'm still new to this game and I forget stuff half the time.

And to ask a question, what scum lists are considered "good" besides Brobots? I've had fun doing Fel or Vader with mini-swarms, the Falcon + friends, but with Scum it seems like it's harder (for me) to be competitive. I have a Firespray, a K-fighter, Most Wanted, and a Starviper, I'm guessing I should just do Boba and some TLT Y-wings? What about Boba and a Starviper, could that work?

Honestly while Scum Boba Fett is nice I'm a fan of Scum Kath (even though I still kinda suck flying her). Kavil is a good Y-Wing pilot, Starvipers have their issues but I love'em anyway...Xizor is a bad fit for "Firespray plus 1" but a couple people here have run variations on a Boba Fett + Guri + Something Else list. I'd consider picking up a HWK at some point since the Scum versions are pretty solid and you have the dials and cards from Most Wanted already.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
For people who chronically forget their actions I tend to pay attention and remind them, because it's really annoying to have them say "Well I would have done this thing that I never actually do, but is beneficial for me to do in this instance". Probably almost as annoying as me reminding them every time they forget, but eventually they learn and are better for it, and I don't get screwed out of good attack setups.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

^^^Ah, good clarification on checking during attacks.

Honestly while Scum Boba Fett is nice I'm a fan of Scum Kath (even though I still kinda suck flying her). Kavil is a good Y-Wing pilot, Starvipers have their issues but I love'em anyway...Xizor is a bad fit for "Firespray plus 1" but a couple people here have run variations on a Boba Fett + Guri + Something Else list. I'd consider picking up a HWK at some point since the Scum versions are pretty solid and you have the dials and cards from Most Wanted already.

I tried doing a Kath build (backed up by two Z's and a ion-turret Y) thinking that I would be able to drop proxy mines on people and attack them with my rear arc at the same time, but every time I tried this the Y would get burned down fast and the other players would completely avoid my rear arc (seems fairly easy to do if you know somebody is packing bombs), and once Kath went down the Z's where pretty useless. This was mainly against heavy lists like a Decimator with Palp and Vader, or Fat Han and a friend.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

imperialparadox posted:

I tried doing a Kath build (backed up by two Z's and a ion-turret Y) thinking that I would be able to drop proxy mines on people and attack them with my rear arc at the same time, but every time I tried this the Y would get burned down fast and the other players would completely avoid my rear arc (seems fairly easy to do if you know somebody is packing bombs), and once Kath went down the Z's where pretty useless. This was mainly against heavy lists like a Decimator with Palp and Vader, or Fat Han and a friend.

The trick with Kath is to not get too caught up in trying to swing people into that rear arc. Yeah it's cool, but you've got a front arc too and if people are treating your rear arc as a deterrent then use that to your advantage. A Heavy Laser Cannon and a K4 Security Droid is a good way to threaten people coming and going. And two important things to remember when running a Firespray are A). you can take the evade action and B). you have a K-turn on your dial so don't be afraid to use it.

Kath Scarlet
-Push the Limit
-Heavy Laser Cannon
-K4 Security Droid
-Engine Upgrade

That's 55 points right there. Green maneuver with the K4 lets you pick up a free target lock, then PtL lets you focus/evade/boost in whatever combination works best for you, and the HLC means that front or back you're putting out 4 dice minimum on all your attacks. I suppose you could pare it down to a Mangler Cannon if you want to shave points but I've been kinda lukewarm on the Mangler lately.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Cobbsprite posted:

Bullshit. You're only too low-skill to make it work until you have enough practice to make it work. If there's something you want to play and you don't have enough experience to play it well? Get a friend and play it over and over and over.

[ liemode] I promise this is not just an excuse to play spaceships over and over and over. [ /liemode]

I've played all of two games so far, and I only won one of them due to a VERY lucky point blank range Wedge shot on Whisper with cloak off. Which blew her up first time.

Hoping to play more tomorrow though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The last game I won ended with my Luke Skywalker and the other guy's Darth Vader doing figure 8's until one of us landed a shot

High skill

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

I've played all of two games so far, and I only won one of them due to a VERY lucky point blank range Wedge shot on Whisper with cloak off. Which blew her up first time.

Hoping to play more tomorrow though.

Honestly, something like Soontir + Carnor with all the trimmings is actually easier to run in my opinion than lots of other lists. The ability to boost and barrel roll after most everyone else has gone and locked their positions in gives you an enormous capacity to overcome mistakes and ensure that you can squeeze yourself into ideal positions to shoot and not get shot back at. I mean, it's not like it's a list that runs itself, skill is still going to be a factor, but it's potentially a very forgiving list in the sense that you can very easily dance your way out of arcs and into range 1.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, what's needed to run PbP x-wing games, like what grassy gnoll was doing previously? Since if they're not interested in keeping it going, I could potentially run one or two and see how it goes from there - however my availability in terms of updating will be somewhat restricted to Australian evenings only, since presumably I'd need to have a third-party application, so I wouldn't be able to perform updates at work. (like where I'm posting this from now, heh)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Major Isoor posted:

So, what's needed to run PbP x-wing games, like what grassy gnoll was doing previously? Since if they're not interested in keeping it going, I could potentially run one or two and see how it goes from there - however my availability in terms of updating will be somewhat restricted to Australian evenings only, since presumably I'd need to have a third-party application, so I wouldn't be able to perform updates at work. (like where I'm posting this from now, heh)

I think grassy gnoll was using VASSAL to run them presumably taking screenshots as necessary.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
As a personal challenge I was flying this build for a handful of games against my friends:

Royal Guard Pilot (22)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Royal Guard Pilot (22)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

They won each game, but my god. Flying with a total squadron health of 10 makes for a very tense match.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Re: casual playing, I always try and play tournament rules as much as possible because I go to a lot of leagues and tournaments where those rules apply. But as for proxying, I don't give a poo poo even if it is a tournament. I want to face skill, not dollar signs.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cobbsprite posted:

Bullshit. You're only too low-skill to make it work until you have enough practice to make it work. If there's something you want to play and you don't have enough experience to play it well? Get a friend and play it over and over and over.

[ liemode] I promise this is not just an excuse to play spaceships over and over and over. [ /liemode]

Heavy emphasis on this. For my fourth or fifth game ever, I decided to give super Dash a go because it sounded fun. It was actually for a small tournament and I only had a vague idea what I was doing; in spite of that, I managed to outfly the veteran players a few times and surprise them. If something sounds fun, give it a try, figure out what you did wrong, then try it again.

Also don't be afraid to try "bad" moves if you're in a pickle. Flying off in a different direction than your opponent thinks you're going to (because it's a bad idea) can give you a bit of a breather and throw their plans off.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.

imperialparadox posted:

While it still technically contains a "Brobot" I went 4-0 at a local tournament with this list:

IG-88B (36)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Feedback Array (2)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

Bossk (35)
Expert Handling (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Greedo (1)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

It is also insanely fun to barrel roll a YV-666, people never see it coming and you can pull some really slick maneuvers with it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing that's got me scratching my head on that list is the Feedback Array on IG-88. How often did that come up and how useful was it? Aggressors are fragile and expensive enough, I can't imagine deliberately damaging one just to deal a point of damage in return.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.
It's an anti-Fel precaution. You're totally right in that the aggressor doesn't have a ton of health to burn through. However, when you've got aces moving at PS9 or higher, you'll make them think twice about boosting in for that range one shot, or even better, spending actions to get OUT of range one. That being said, I only used it in one match to kill a PS9 Whisper, but that's only because I didn't really run into too many high PS aces at this particular event.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

It's an anti-Fel precaution. You're totally right in that the aggressor doesn't have a ton of health to burn through. However, when you've got aces moving at PS9 or higher, you'll make them think twice about boosting in for that range one shot, or even better, spending actions to get OUT of range one. That being said, I only used it in one match to kill a PS9 Whisper, but that's only because I didn't really run into too many high PS aces at this particular event.

That actually makes a surprising amount of sense, I hadn't thought of it like that. And I mean hey, you went 4-0, you gotta be doing something right. I should give that list a try on Sunday, see how it goes. Last time I played me and my opponent both agreed that Bossk really needs some kind of expanded mobility...we sort of settled on Daredevil but I can see Expert Handling being fun.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, I thought I'd give a Tourney trip report (probably should have done it earlier, but still)

So my list was Tycho, Jake, & Keyan (it's earlier in the thread if you want more details). Was a 4-round tourney. I won the first round against a rebel squadron by tabling him without taking casualties, which actually put me at the top of the rankings. So I was feeling pretty good about myself going into round two. Except round two was against the guy eventually won who played competitively with a stressbot Y-Wing and two B-Wings (I forget what the rest of his list was). He pretty much as we were setting up did like a Sherlock Holmes type thing where he analysed my list and then pretty much destroyed me. That psyched me out so badly that I got tabled the other two games too, which was especially embarassing since the last game was against somebody who'd only been playing for two weeks with a Fat Han list.

I think I'm bad at X-Wing, guys.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I had a good game last night against a guy running Boba and Guri, which went down to the wire. I was running this list:

Han (46)
Millennium Falcon (1)
Marksmanship (3)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Miranda (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Tactician (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

I managed to drop his Boba pretty fast, but it took 10 rounds or so to kill Guri, which had autothrusters and kept evading my turrets. He kept plinking away at Miranda for a damage or two, and I kept using her ability to regen shields to stay in the fight, but eventually Miranda went down and we ended up with his Guri and my Han severely damaged. I managed to win because Han had a better pilot score and was able to finish off Guri without worrying about return fire.

My opponent was pretty good avoiding my arc and disallowing me chances to apply Tactician, but he said that the one round where I did catch him for two stress was what swung the game in my favor. I was wondering if there is anything on this list that I should change - I put engine upgrade on Miranda to improve my chances of putting people into range two with her (for Tactician), and while I didn't actually use it that much, when I did Engine Upgrade seemed useful. Maybe I could swap it for something else, but I think the list might be fine as is.

I'm guessing that this list would be weak to swarms, but everybody seems to play big ships around me anyways.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tried good old mama Hans again last night and it still works well and went undefeated. One of the better players did try a wedge/Poe build but as long as you keep Poe from focusing, using Zs, the falcon gets to murder it. :evilbuddy: the half points stipulation doesn't matter since if Han gets that low he's probably dying and it's a close game anyway.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I think grassy gnoll was using VASSAL to run them presumably taking screenshots as necessary.

Hmm, OK then - so is all I need here, or would I need to get resources and/or installers from other locations, too? Apologies if this is a simple/stupid question - I'm totally unfamiliar with Vassal, at this point :shobon:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So, I actually bought a core set, and spent a bit of time trying to work out what my preferred lists would cost me to much eyepopping.

What's a solid rebel list with Poe or two TIE/fos that won't break the bank, assuming I need to have ships and pilots, but upgrades will usually be proxyable? I'm thinking Poe and a couple of Rebel Aces pilots?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

So, I actually bought a core set, and spent a bit of time trying to work out what my preferred lists would cost me to much eyepopping.

What's a solid rebel list with Poe or two TIE/fos that won't break the bank, assuming I need to have ships and pilots, but upgrades will usually be proxyable? I'm thinking Poe and a couple of Rebel Aces pilots?

Well didn't the guy who won Worlds use Poe, two Y-Wings, and an A-Wing? So there you go, if proxying is on the table then all you really need are the ships and you're set.

I mean, you could always just get a Falcon and run Falcon + Poe like one of my friends does, it's solid enough.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Poe, E-wing and A-wing was the runner up in this years World tournament. If you've got the two cores, a rebel aces + an e-wing set gives you that without even needing to proxy anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Kai Tave posted:

Well didn't the guy who won Worlds use Poe, two Y-Wings, and an A-Wing? So there you go, if proxying is on the table then all you really need are the ships and you're set.

I mean, you could always just get a Falcon and run Falcon + Poe like one of my friends does, it's solid enough.

It was Poe, two Y-Wings and a Z-95. It's a remarkably cheap list, all things considered.

You need both Cores, two Y-Wings, a Z-95 and a Starviper for Autothrusters.

• Locked thread