Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

I'm tired of using a case which will inevitably shatter into a million pieces and want to go with a sleeve and something like the Smart Cover that has a stand, since usually I transport the iPad (Mini 2) in a bag. Over half of my usage is propped up landscape and I'm coming from a case with a bunch of different angles but I usually only use the top two or three. I'm hearing some mixed reviews on how the Smart Cover works as a stand - are there any good alternatives? I obviously don't care about the protection part, just being able to prop the thing up without enclosing it in a huge thick plastic case.

The 3-fold vs 4-fold smartcover debate is silly and the smartcover works really well. Have you considered smartcover+ rear vinyl skin, rather than having to carry around a sleeve everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I got the smart cover for my mini 4. It's a little wobbly when you poke the screen while it's standing up, but not to the point that it would fall over. It just shakes a little. I got it as a temporary solution until I find a sleeve that I actually like, but I'm kinda getting used to it and might just keep it as my permanent solution.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

eddiewalker posted:

The 3-fold vs 4-fold smartcover debate is silly and the smartcover works really well. Have you considered smartcover+ rear vinyl skin, rather than having to carry around a sleeve everywhere?
I can just keep the sleeve in my bag 24/7 so that's not too big of a deal - I wouldn't be bothering with it at home, it'd just be to keep anything else I have in the bag from scratching it up. Also, I'm thinking that if I get a sleeve it might fit the Mini 4 if I upgrade? I will look into rear skins though since that's an option I hadn't considered.

Croc Monster posted:

I got the smart cover for my mini 4. It's a little wobbly when you poke the screen while it's standing up, but not to the point that it would fall over. It just shakes a little. I got it as a temporary solution until I find a sleeve that I actually like, but I'm kinda getting used to it and might just keep it as my permanent solution.
I'd prefer to avoid as much wobble as possible since I'm often propping it up in precarious places. If the SC is the best option, I'll definitely give that a shot (I can just return it if it's not suitable), I was just curious if there was anything third-party similar to it with a slightly more solid stand design to try first, since that's really all I care about.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So iPad Pro havers: how easy / pain in the rear end has it been carrying it around and taking it anywhere? I'm probably pulling the trigger on one tomorrow over an Air 2 but I'm still not sold on the size of the thing for having it along on my days didn't meetings and poo poo.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

I'd prefer to avoid as much wobble as possible since I'm often propping it up in precarious places.

I just tried it on the back of a roll-arm leather chair and on a pile of clothes. Way too unstable and wobbly. So...depending on the nature of your precarious places, it might not be the right choice after all. If there are any other stability tests you'd like me to try, I'll give it a go as best I can.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So iPad Pro havers: how easy / pain in the rear end has it been carrying it around and taking it anywhere? I'm probably pulling the trigger on one tomorrow over an Air 2 but I'm still not sold on the size of the thing for having it along on my days didn't meetings and poo poo.

I don't (haven't) taken mine anywhere, but if I plan to take it somewhere, it'll be on such a trip that the means justifies the ends. (aka: for in-hotel use or something, and not to whip out on a crowded commuter flight...)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I've got one and VII and they suffer the same thing most apps do these days- they're just upsized apps at this point so yeah, the assets are a bit rough but it's playable.

Mattavist posted:

Does anyone with a Pro have Final Fantasy VI? Want to get it but not gonna drop the cash if it doesn't work on larger screens.

It's also Square, don't expect a fix and you might be pleasantly surprised, but don't expect a fix.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

eddiewalker posted:

Counterpoint: Different people are different heights with different work surfaces and the stand settings that work for one may not the other. The smart cover is a good idea if you live near an Apple store because they accept returns if it doesn't work out.

I use a cheap rear end sleeve with a pocket from amazon that was 4 bux, the pocket carries my stand/charger/stylus. I don't see how a sleeve is any less/more efficient than a messenger bag or briefcase?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's weird to post in the iPad thread that you're not buying an iPad, but I need to post my mental train of thought and see if I collect any "that's nuts!" responses.

I decided today that I think I'm going to wait and not jump on these Black Friday deals. For one thing, they're hardly improved over a whole year ago when Best Buy took $100 off the then-new Air 2s. For another, I expect if a replacement does appear it might have features I really want (better sound) or at least be willing to pay for (3D touch.)

And if it doesn't have features I would pay for, hey, Air 2's should drop $100 when they're no longer flagship devices. Win-win.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That's nuts!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm buying an iPad today after work. But which one? I still don't know. Probably going to end up with a Mini 4 because I'm an idiot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm buying an iPad today after work. But which one? I still don't know. Probably going to end up with a Mini 4 because I'm an idiot.

If you do a lot of PDF markup and annotations the Pro is brilliant. It's also great for creating diagrams and handwritten documents (with stylus/Pencil).

Otherwise an Air2 or Mini4 will work fine.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
For me the mini is the perfect sized iPad, but then again I think the 5S is the perfect sized iPhone. The mini is small enough to be truly portable and big enough to do light office work on. For anything more serious you need a laptop anyway, the pro isn't an actual replacement for that. I see the pro only for people with a serious creative career and even they will continue to need an iMac or MacBook.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i just got an air 2 a couple weeks back and love it

i say go for that

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not about any one specific app, but can anyone vouch for how useful the various Adobe apps for iPad are if you're using CS6 rather than CC? We can't really justify the monthly subscription to CC here since we've already got CS6 unfortunately.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
lol I went from an Air 1 to a mini 4.

There really is no right answer. Many trips to Apple stores playing with the mini before deciding to go small. I miss the larger size for web browsing, but for everything else I'm happier with the smaller device.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Not about any one specific app, but can anyone vouch for how useful the various Adobe apps for iPad are if you're using CS6 rather than CC? We can't really justify the monthly subscription to CC here since we've already got CS6 unfortunately.

The CC apps on iPad are really good. I use Comp every day. In fact, it's the reason that I got an iPad in the first place.

Cloud has been well worth it for me, and not just for the apps.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'll probably try going for one of those $100 off mini 4 deals tomorrow I guess.

Then do it again next year if it gets the A9/10 and Pencil support :argh:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

XBenedict posted:

The CC apps on iPad are really good. I use Comp every day. In fact, it's the reason that I got an iPad in the first place.

Cloud has been well worth it for me, and not just for the apps.
Cheers! I'll give them a good look over then.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got the Pro. They didn't have a pencil so I'll have to grab that another day. Couple of thoughts:
- Yeah the screen owns and its huge but it's easy to get used to. My iPhone 6 now feels ridiculously small.
- The speakers are really, really good. Coming from an iPad 3 the difference is night and day.
- Not a big fan of the keyboard. Especially on landscape mode. Doubly so if the app hasn't been updated and you get the old keyboard which is comically large.
- Split screen / peek multi tasking is ok, could be better. I'm definitely going to get a ton of use out of it.
- PDF Expert and big PDFs files aka the reason I bought this for work perfect. They load stupid fast, there's no lag at all no matter how quick I switch pages or zoom. Drawing and making annotations are going to let me do a ton of poo poo for work wherever I am.
- No case or cover. May need a new stand for the office desk.
- Touch ID on an iPad is nice. Lightning cable is nice. :rip: the remainder of my old cables.
- Seriously, the screen is amazing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

japtor posted:

I'll probably try going for one of those $100 off mini 4 deals tomorrow I guess.
Well that was easy, Best Buy's sales went up already. Seems like they were the only one with $100 off the mini 4, while Target has a $100 gift card deal going (but didn't see it live yet). Only on gold and silver though if that matters to anyone, at least when I ordered.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

flosofl posted:

I don't think it splits it down the middle. According to the spec sheet it has a "pool" of 5V@4.8A available. It will probably supply whatever the upper limit of the charging circuitry in the device will take (up to 24W). I imagine if you charge a phone and an iPad it will first split, and if one device doesn't pull the full 12W, the surplus will go over the 2nd port (if the device will take that much).

I've got one on the way, and I'll compare charge times on my Pro. I don't feel like cracking it open to put a volt-meter on it to verify.

The iPad probably has a max draw of 12W anyway, although people will probably swear blind that they see faster charges with 24W, like how people claim that pre-6 iPhones charged faster with the 12W adapter (it didn't).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's fine. I brought it on a trip over the holidays and it's not heavy at all and the size is fine. (and it's fun telling everyone it's my new iPhone 6+ super size edition. Yes I am a comedic genius :downsrim:)

I did use am small messenger bag to make sure it didn't get scratched while traveling. I haven't found a case I like, but using the thing naked (not me, the device) is about the same weight as my ipad2 with its case on. And yes, the screen and sound is amazing. Totally happy I got it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TinTower posted:

The iPad probably has a max draw of 12W anyway, although people will probably swear blind that they see faster charges with 24W, like how people claim that pre-6 iPhones charged faster with the 12W adapter (it didn't).

Yeah, after a couple days with the Anker, the only difference in charge times would be measured in minutes, not hours. It doesn't charge any faster than the stock Apple wall-wart that comes with the Pro.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A little more messing around with the pencil...

My son and daughter...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Played with the Pencil at the Apple Store. I'm surprised how much lag there still is when handwriting. But nice for drawing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

A little more messing around with the pencil...

My son and daughter...

Yeah, I'm really impressed by the Apple Pencil. I ordered through Best Buy "ship to store" and it was ready for pickup late Friday. It is literally the only thing I've purchased from that store in 15 years after I swore to never set foot in one again. But apparently my tech-lust overrides my principles.

I had ordered it the Monday of that week. On the other hand I had placed an order with the Apple Store for over two weeks ago, and it still showed a shipping estimate of Dec 21 (I cancelled that one after I picked it up from BB).

It's hosed up world when Best Buy's retail supply chain is better than Apple's for an Apple product.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm still looking for a drat pencil.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smackfu posted:

Played with the Pencil at the Apple Store. I'm surprised how much lag there still is when handwriting. But nice for drawing.

Lag? I haven't encountered any noticeable lag at all with mine. Of course some of that may be app dependent. I've tested both One Note and Notability for handwritten notes. Most of the apps that I have that explicitly state they are "Apple Pencil Ready" have been like writing/drawing with a real pencil and paper (except for the tactile feel of drawing on glass).

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I'm really impressed by the Apple Pencil. I ordered through Best Buy "ship to store" and it was ready for pickup late Friday. It is literally the only thing I've purchased from that store in 15 years after I swore to never set foot in one again. But apparently my tech-lust overrides my principles.

I had ordered it the Monday of that week. On the other hand I had placed an order with the Apple Store for over two weeks ago, and it still showed a shipping estimate of Dec 21 (I cancelled that one after I picked it up from BB).

It's hosed up world when Best Buy's retail supply chain is better than Apple's for an Apple product.

Don't want to derail the thread, but Best Buy has gotten a lot better since I made a similar promise to never set foot in one again back in 2008. They price match Costco and Amazon, you can get your new toy day-of, and they even have some sweet gimmicks like Best Buy Rewards (I get $10 coupons constantly) and Gamers Club Unlocked if you like vidya games. I don't own any BBY stock or anything, I just actually have had decent experiences there lately.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

flosofl posted:

Lag? I haven't encountered any noticeable lag at all with mine. Of course some of that may be app dependent. I've tested both One Note and Notability for handwritten notes. Most of the apps that I have that explicitly state they are "Apple Pencil Ready" have been like writing/drawing with a real pencil and paper (except for the tactile feel of drawing on glass).

Like, if I made tight loops in the Notes app (like a line of cursive e's), and watched the screen, I could see it fill in the line behind the pencil. It was distracting since I have pretty small handwriting.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So is the 32GB Pro only for poors and fools? I would imagine that app sizes are going to increase with the need to rework graphics assets for the larger panel...

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

AlternateAccount posted:

So is the 32GB Pro only for poors and fools? I would imagine that app sizes are going to increase with the need to rework graphics assets for the larger panel...

I'm thinking of the 32GB Pro as the kiosk/business-only iPad personally. I could personally do everything I'd want out of an iPad on 32GB though, as long as I'm very conservative with iTunes videos.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well, I will never/very rarely load videos on it. Mostly book-reading, web browsing, some games if there are some that don't suck. I guess I could always sell it for a small loss and upgrade if it comes to that. So conflicted.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I've had a 16 GB iPad 3 for a few years and I've never really had a problem with the size except for one or two times when I was going on a plane and wanted to put actual video files on it but I basically hardly ever need to do that and I just took a couple big apps off temporarily that wouldn't have worked anyway, like Hearthstone, during that time. I feel like I'd be able to get away with the 32 without too much trouble but I'll probably just get the 128 anyway just so I never have to worry about it.

I went and looked at the iPad pro in a store the other day, it wasn't as big as I had imagined it to be so I think I'm gonna definitely get one around Christmas time.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I just upgraded from an iPad 2 to the second generation Air and I've noticed the display is quite a bit more yellow than my iPad 2.

It's not too bad if I m looking at it straight on, but at even at slight angles it gets more yellow. Side by side with my old iPad there's quite a difference.

Is this just how the display is on the Air2? I can probably get used to it but if I got a bad display I'll go exchange it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LordOfThePants posted:

I just upgraded from an iPad 2 to the second generation Air and I've noticed the display is quite a bit more yellow than my iPad 2.

It's not too bad if I m looking at it straight on, but at even shallow angles it gets more yellow. Side by side with my old iPad there's quite a difference.

Is this just how the display is on the Air2? I can probably get used to it but if I got a bad display I'll go exchange it.

i'd get it checked out. i bought an air 2 about a month ago and "more yellow" is something that never crossed my mind when looking at my previous ipads

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
PrOwners:

What is your experience with the battery?

I've had mine since launch day.
I love it.
But I feel like maybe my iPad Air(1) did MUCH better in standby. Anyone else experiencing what seems to me to be more rapid battery depletion in standby than my older iPads?

I have a pencil but I've gotten I the habit of turning Bluetooth off when done using it.

I'm estimating here but if the battery icon is accurate it feels like I'm losing like 10% every 24 hours or so in standby.

Is my recollection of being able to come pick up my Air after weeks of non-use and seeing the battery more or less where I left it a flawed memory?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Noticeably worse than an Air 1 is my experience too, but I just downloaded a new game I've been putting a lot of time into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aphrodite posted:

Noticeably worse than an Air 1 is my experience too, but I just downloaded a new game I've been putting a lot of time into.

My first second-guess of myself with a new device is always "but it IS new and novel and maybe you're using it more" but in this case I am so busy that I am not. And I am also talking about noting the battery level when I am done for the day and then again noting the difference when I next turn it on..