Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Morpheus posted:

I've seen Roll for the Galaxy and Race for the Galaxy in stores lately - which is the better game? I understand there are differences between how each of them play out, but I can never remember which is which.

Better is basically entire personal preference, they're both pretty similar and far better than most other other stuff out there so don't worry too much. Race's got more interesting micromanagement, Roll's more about the macro (general strategy, reading opponents) game. Race has more varying abilities, Roll's more simply templated which makes it easier to learn. Race flows faster and takes less time in general, Roll's got a slightly longer upkeep time at the start of each turn because of rolling and assignment. I think Race is slightly better, but it's basically a useless comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Miniature Market: Come see our 8 billion games on sale, of which only 5 items are in stock!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

I've seen Roll for the Galaxy and Race for the Galaxy in stores lately - which is the better game? I understand there are differences between how each of them play out, but I can never remember which is which.

People only like Roll for the Galaxy better because they are bad at games and it lets them cheat.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I don't like Roll because it's too hard not to cheat accidentally once you get modification powers.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Huh? Just slide things around without changing faces - in other words, do it the way the rulebook says - and it's pretty easy to keep track of what you did.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Big McHuge posted:

Miniature Market: Come see our 8 billion games on sale, of which only 5 items are in stock!

You're a day late and a hundred dollars unspent.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Roll for the Galaxy is a bloated turd. They managed to make the game not terrible by adding a million dice to it, but to what end? As far as strategic depth Roll is no better than Race. All Roll accomplishes is to make the game 20x more cumbersome by adding dice/dice cups/screens/tiles/etc. If you feel like buying some toys then Roll for the Galaxy is for you, if you want a better game at less than half the price get Race.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Daily reminder that Rutibex is our resident troll, though I can't believe he didn't recommend Talisman in that post (or do much worse).

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

thespaceinvader posted:

That One With The Tulips whose name I can't remember
Tulipmania 1637 by Scott "Board Games with Scott" Nicholson

quote:

A couple of other share trading games whose names I similarly can't remember; one of them was hotel themed, the other airlines I think?

Acquire
Airlines Europe

Nthing Container fo an economic game if you can find it. If not, https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1411463/redesign-and-remake-container-lots-pictures
Gonna also throw in left field pick Last Will. It's the only game I know where you start an enterprise (albeit to lose money as fast as possible) but then have to properly wind it down as well.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Rutibex posted:

Roll for the Galaxy is a bloated turd. They managed to make the game not terrible by adding a million dice to it, but to what end? As far as strategic depth Roll is no better than Race. All Roll accomplishes is to make the game 20x more cumbersome by adding dice/dice cups/screens/tiles/etc. If you feel like buying some toys then Roll for the Galaxy is for you, if you want a better game at less than half the price get Race.

Board Game Thread 5e: Bloated turds discussing bloated turds

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Is Mice and Mystics any good? The theme and miniatures are really appealing but I don't want to drop near a hundred quid if it's dull to play.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Gonna buy Coup, because it looks amazing. Is there any reason to buy vanilla Coup now that G54 is out, and seems to have good reviews? It seems like G54 might be more or less a superset of the original, but having played neither I couldn't say.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Vitamin P posted:

Is Mice and Mystics any good? The theme and miniatures are really appealing but I don't want to drop near a hundred quid if it's dull to play.

It's ok but not worth 100 in your currency. More of a game you can play with children.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
G54 is is like taking a great soup and pouring a bunch of snack foods like cheetos on to have "more variety"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

G54 is indeed better in every way. Regular coup gets stale fast, the extra roles make it great and will keep it in your groups rotation a lot longer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

PlaneGuy posted:

Tulipmania 1637 by Scott "Board Games with Scott" Nicholson

Acquire
Airlines Europe

Nthing Container fo an economic game if you can find it. If not, https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1411463/redesign-and-remake-container-lots-pictures
Gonna also throw in left field pick Last Will. It's the only game I know where you start an enterprise (albeit to lose money as fast as possible) but then have to properly wind it down as well.

Yep, them's the ones...

Are you the guy who has all my group's games, or was I just that easy to guess?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Arcsech posted:

Gonna buy Coup, because it looks amazing. Is there any reason to buy vanilla Coup now that G54 is out, and seems to have good reviews? It seems like G54 might be more or less a superset of the original, but having played neither I couldn't say.

Box size is the reason I prefer original coup to G54.
I can carry Coup around in my bag and maybe even whip it out on a train ride. G45's box is huge in comparison.
Oh and I think it had a bunch of kickstarter exclusive promos if that thing bugs you.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Fuuuuuuuck I missed out on Food Chain Magnate by like a day, yesterday it was 5+ in stock suddenly this morning it's zero.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's poo poo like this that makes me trigger happy on boardgames.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Gimnbo posted:

You're a day late and a hundred dollars unspent.

This was like hours after it first hit. I get that the deals are good, but I think on some things they only had 1 or 2 units on hand.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Caedar posted:

Board Game Thread 5e: Bloated turds discussing bloated turds

To be fair, Rutibex is spot on in his evaluation of Roll. I was severely disappointed after giving it a few tries.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Mister Sinewave posted:

Fuuuuuuuck I missed out on Food Chain Magnate by like a day, yesterday it was 5+ in stock suddenly this morning it's zero.

You can still order it direct from Splotter. Shipping from Europe to US is a little steep, but given the favorable USD to EUR conversion, it's not as bad as you might think. But you will have to be patient for them to get through all the orders.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm :canada:

It's sort of kinda comparable in cost to (pre)order from Splotter which is what I just did. I'd prefer to have in my dirty little paws in less than a week from like the only e-tailer in Canada that carries it but at least I'll get it sometime this way. I'm pleased I'll at least be able to get it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Big McHuge posted:

To be fair, Rutibex is spot on in his evaluation of Roll. I was severely disappointed after giving it a few tries.

How is the game actually played differently? Is each action a specific die or what?

I love the idea behind Race and the iconography makes the information theorist in me unreasonably happy but it seems to always kinda fizzle when we play it, the tableaux hits 12 right as things are getting really interesting and the game ends up ending on a wet fart. It's very possible that's only a problem because we're playing 2p with the Advanced rules but it doesn't seem to ever have a satisfying conclusion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, whoops, posted in the other thread that got moved here. Is ~38 dollars a good deal for Castles of Mad King Ludwig / Mysterium? Those are my next two planned purchases and both are about 20% off on Amazon. Does anyone anticipate any substantial discount over Black Friday / Cyber Monday?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Oh, whoops, posted in the other thread that got moved here. Is ~38 dollars a good deal for Castles of Mad King Ludwig / Mysterium? Those are my next two planned purchases and both are about 20% off on Amazon. Does anyone anticipate any substantial discount over Black Friday / Cyber Monday?

Castles is part of the B2G1 on Amazon right now, but Mysterium is not

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

deadwing posted:

Castles is part of the B2G1 on Amazon right now, but Mysterium is not

Interesting... I've also been wanting Loopin' Chewie, but I have no firm opinions on the rest of the list. How's Spyfall?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Big McHuge posted:

Anyone know if Neopets TCG is any good?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I picked out Chewie, Castles and Camel Up - how do I get the B2G1 to trigger?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

So I picked out Chewie, Castles and Camel Up - how do I get the B2G1 to trigger?

You need to make sure that Amazon is the seller on all three. It took me a few tries to get Camel Up to trigger.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

If they're all purchased from Amazon.com and not a third party, it'll show up after hitting the checkout button

E:f,b

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got it - thanks! I've had my eye on all three for a while, and 70 bucks is an amazing deal, plus they're doing some sort of promo right now with free 1 day shipping, so I'll have Castles and Chewie in time for Thanksgiving.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

sector_corrector posted:

How's Spyfall?

It is an excellent social deduction game in a genre with many excellent entries. I personally like it, and it has the benefit of being extremely easy to teach, and something even non-gamers will play. If you aren't sick of the genre yet, it would make an excellent game to play with the family during the holidays.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spyfall is great. It should be noted that you shouldn't buy it though, as the phone version plays much better for free:

spyfall.adrianocola.com

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Bottom Liner posted:

Roll is faster, much easier to teach, and better. The expansion just came out and is apparently solid as well.

You're such a bad poster. At least Rubitex gives reasons for things.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

drat, I got told.

In all seriousness, most people that aren't super comfortable with Race feel the same way, it's not like I'm shouting some insane counterpoint to popular opinion.

EBag
May 18, 2006

It's definitely easier to learn than Race, but faster or better... I dunno about that. I think Race is a deeper game and gives you much more control. Of course you're still dealing with the luck of the draw, but I feel like I have more control over my strategy and a broader range to pursue due to more 6+ developments and variance in powers.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

It's easier to dig super hard in Roll because you can grab 5 or 6 explorers and go to town throwing away just about everything, but the wider variety of powers in Race and the stronger income synergy means that you can much more easily find a small 2-card combo that gives okay card flow and work from there. Roll, not as easy because things are so divided into different uses.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Bottom Liner posted:

drat, I got told.

In all seriousness, most people that aren't super comfortable with Race feel the same way, it's not like I'm shouting some insane counterpoint to popular opinion.

Bottom Liner posted:

G54 is indeed better in every way. Regular coup gets stale fast, the extra roles make it great and will keep it in your groups rotation a lot longer.

Thankfully, your redtext has finally resolved the age-old question of whether boardgames are art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So explain why it's not better, considering it has the full Coup game within, plus more when you want to expand.