Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

I think you missed the joke, OFS.

To be fair; in circumstances of trolling/sarcasm, positive and educational responses are still good in that they provide for other readers who might not understand the topic at hand or may be at risk of being misinformed by the original comment in question.

But yeah, OFS probably missed the joke.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Mangara/Karakas interactions is one of those weird ones, too.

In any other set this ability would exile him as part of the cost. But this is Time Spiral, where tiny quirks in the rules text are entirely intentional and providing edge cases is the reason.

I'm not going to let a little thing like insincerity get in the way of explaining tiny quirks and edge cases.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

In any other set this ability would exile him as part of the cost. But this is Time Spiral, where tiny quirks in the rules text are entirely intentional and providing edge cases is the reason.

I'm not going to let a little thing like insincerity get in the way of explaining tiny quirks and edge cases.

It's flavor because Mangara isn't putting himself back into the amber prison and then putting the other person in the same prison.

He's trying to pull them into the prison with him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Poor little dude...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

He's trying to pull them into the prison with him.

And the inexplicable resonance of some prairie with a Croatian name makes him go to a wizard's short-term memory rather than the amber prison.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

And the inexplicable resonance of some prairie with a Croatian name makes him go to a wizard's short-term memory rather than the amber prison.

Yeah dude he's like man that's a dumb name *trips* and then he's in your head!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It also works if you Vial in a Flickerwisp! :science:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Karakas activations are just Angus Mackenzie walking out to the person and saying, 'hey man, just chill'

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Angus/Mangara OTP

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
who is mangara, why were they in an amber prison

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

wow man learn your mirage block lore

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I don't know but this sounds like a great setup for Muraganda.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Has Angus Mackenzie EDH turbofog been done before? I feel like it should have.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kaervek tricked Jolrael into trapping Mangara in the amber prison so he could rule over Jamuraa duh.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
You can tell that Mangara is from Mirage because his name is an anagram for the word "anagram".

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rimusutera posted:

Has Angus Mackenzie EDH turbofog been done before? I feel like it should have.

It has, and it has been done to death. That is one of the reasons it is a 70 dollar card.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wait, Mangara's a dude?

The more you know, I guess.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh snap. Le Bestiaire put up that fan made Star War set as a draftable set. :v:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ramos posted:

Wait, Mangara's a dude?

The more you know, I guess.

It's right in the name! He's not called Womangara, is he?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

AlternateNu posted:

This is so cool.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Threads up for the Command Zone brew tournament:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752950

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

Kaervek tricked Jolrael into trapping Mangara in the amber prison so he could rule over Jamuraa duh.

kaervek is the merciless guy right, i remember this name

don't know who jolrael is tho

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

the lands don't even become beasts, this is terrible flavor

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

she lived in the forest and hated everyone during the first half of the story

She continued to live in the first afterwards too though tbf

Edit: wow way too slow

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Is there a way to have a lobby that makes it work like drafts.in that I'm just not seeing?
Or I can't see it because I'm accessing on a mobile platform?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

notbrant posted:

Is there a way to have a lobby that makes it work like drafts.in that I'm just not seeing?
Or I can't see it because I'm accessing on a mobile platform?

Look for "More drafts", it's right below the large red bars and above the set selection. And no lobbies, you just do it solo against CPU.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Yay? The over all design of it is garbage.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rimusutera posted:

Yay? The over all design of it is garbage.

You mean a set where every rare is an easy first pick and the mythics are all unbeatable isn't good for limited?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

suicidesteve posted:

You mean a set where every rare is an easy first pick and the mythics are all unbeatable isn't good for limited?

Honestly, I've just been drafting Mardu decks with removal out the wazoo, Spaceships with repair, and filler duds. gently caress the rares.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The thread title made me think about Reparations because I don't remember what it did.

Then I noticed that the oracle text does something different than what I remembered:

vs. the oracle text which is:

"Whenever an opponent casts a spell that targets you or a creature you control, you may draw a card."

I assume that the idea was that you only get the card if the spell resolves, but it seems like they don't actually have any kind of template that addresses a spell resolving, so the oracle text doesn't care if the spell resolves.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

The thread title made me think about Reparations because I don't remember what it did.

Then I noticed that the oracle text does something different than what I remembered:

vs. the oracle text which is:

"Whenever an opponent casts a spell that targets you or a creature you control, you may draw a card."

I assume that the idea was that you only get the card if the spell resolves, but it seems like they don't actually have any kind of template that addresses a spell resolving, so the oracle text doesn't care if the spell resolves.

It's because it used to only happen if the spell wasn't countered, which in turn was because counters were interrupts which I believe happened in a weird window immediately after the spell was cast, before anything else you could do to respond to it.

From a modern perspective, the old "successfully cast" is closer to the modern "cast" than the modern "resolves."

See also poo poo like Enchantress effects.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I believe "successfully cast" was always the equivalent to "put on the stack", countered or no. I played pre-6th but none of us had any idea what the rules were so I'm not sure, though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv is right. The reason they changed successfully cast later was because its wording was confusing. Players found it much easier to understand something being cast but not necessarily resolve vs something being successfully cast but not necessarily resolving.

And really, talk about unnecessary baggage in the wording of stuff.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ramos posted:

Elyv is right. The reason they changed successfully cast later was because its wording was confusing. Players found it much easier to understand something being cast but not necessarily resolve vs something being successfully cast but not necessarily resolving.

And really, talk about unnecessary baggage in the wording of stuff.

Ahh well, I must have been misinformed myself then. I always understood successfully cast as happening after the opponent got the opportunity to "interrupt" it, but before anything else you could do to respond (and maybe interfere with the casting in other ways, like unsummoning a targeted creature). This explanation made sense to me because it would be literally meaningless to say "successfully" cast unless there was a chance for it to be unsuccessful.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

I believe "successfully cast" was always the equivalent to "put on the stack", countered or no. I played pre-6th but none of us had any idea what the rules were so I'm not sure, though.

There wasn't a stack though.

No one had any idea what the rules were back in the day because actual organized tournaments weren't as big a thing, and the rules were a goddamned mess that had be cobbled together on top of a system that didn't even really work at all as originally created.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Yes, this is correct, and I always sigh internally whenever someone tries to explain that it meant " if the spell wasn't countered" (because then why wouldn't modern Oracle text use "resolves" or something similar?) because I'm someone who has judged Magic in pre and post-6th edition rules.

What's interesting about Reparations and similar cards is that they got rid of the "target opponent" part. While that ability can't work as templated, it's interesting that cards with triggered abilities from back then now read "whenever an opponent" yet cards with static abilities like Skyshroud War Beast have you choose just one opponent as it enters the battlefield and the card only cares about that opponent from then onwards. I can't remember how Reparations worked in a multiplayer game in 1996, but I don't think that ever came up, and the Mirage FAQ is no help.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Yes, this is correct, and I always sigh internally whenever someone tries to explain that it meant " if the spell wasn't countered" (because then why wouldn't modern Oracle text use "resolves" or something similar?) because I'm someone who has judged Magic in pre and post-6th edition rules.

What's interesting about Reparations and similar cards is that they got rid of the "target opponent" part. While that ability can't work as templated, it's interesting that cards with triggered abilities from back then now read "whenever an opponent" yet cards with static abilities like Skyshroud War Beast have you choose just one opponent as it enters the battlefield and the card only cares about that opponent from then onwards. I can't remember how Reparations worked in a multiplayer game in 1996, but I don't think that ever came up, and the Mirage FAQ is no help.

I just assumed it was because there's no such thing as a trigger on something resolving as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I think the reason for "successfully casts" is that Back In The Day the sequence was "announce you are casting spell -> tap all your lands and poo poo -> oh, whoops you don't have enough mana to cast it! better rewind to before you tried to cast it."

• Locked thread