Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Fallout 4 now crashes whenever I use the T) Quit to desktop :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

HAmbONE posted:

Just started doing this for me yesterday.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Non Serviam posted:

I just started playing the game, so I could be wrong (plus a friend said it i relevant in multiplayer, which isn't yet available on PC) but in Metal Gear Solid V, you have to create an avatar. I spent a bit of time making a cool looking one and then nope! gently caress you!

Yeah it's your online avatar. I mean, as fun as it would be to play as a bald, aging, African-American Big Boss, it would probably be a bit weird in cutscenes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

HellCopter posted:

Yeah it's your online avatar. I mean, as fun as it would be to play as a bald, aging, African-American Big Boss, it would probably be a bit weird in cutscenes.

Wouldn't be weirder than the plot to MGS 1-5.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

HellCopter posted:

You do have this option, but after completing the game I believe. You can always play as other people from mother base as well, but they suck compared to big boss.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

HAmbONE posted:

If Fallout 4 is like previous Gamebryo games, the console command "qqq" quits immediately and without confirmation in a way that tends to bypass crashes. The same thing happened to me with Oblivion for a while.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't think I ever managed to close oblivion without having it crash. I do not know what that even looks like. The quit button was just a crash button to me that I clicked whenever I was done and ready for the game to crash.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

AlphaKretin posted:

If Fallout 4 is like previous Gamebryo games, the console command "qqq" quits immediately and without confirmation in a way that tends to bypass crashes. The same thing happened to me with Oblivion for a while.

I thought it was using a new engine.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Aleph Null posted:

:shrug: Haven't played it, I was gonna clarify that in the post you quoted but thought better of it. I did say "if it's the same as others".

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Aleph Null posted:

Technically it's Creation Engine, which is a modification of Gamebryo by Bethsoft.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't think I ever managed to close oblivion without having it crash.

Thank you for playing Wing Commander

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

e: ^fuk u

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't think I ever managed to close oblivion without having it crash. I do not know what that even looks like. The quit button was just a crash button to me that I clicked whenever I was done and ready for the game to crash.

like that one Wing Commander game

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

so can you quit using qqq in fallout 4 or no? the answer may influence my decision to eventually buy it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AlphaKretin posted:

Is there an actual reason to prefer this? If you're ready to stop playing a game and it crashes, what have you lost?

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
I'm at least 20 hours into Fallout 4 and it hasn't crashed once. Am I just lucky?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

im pooping! posted:

so can you quit using qqq in fallout 4 or no? the answer may influence my decision to eventually buy it

probably, all the other legacy console commands seem to work

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Is there an actual reason to prefer this? If you're ready to stop playing a game and it crashes, what have you lost?

Crashing is rarely clean. It can lead to incremental instability due to leftovers, to the point where the game will refuse to open. It's also variable by system- some folks' computers lock up for a while after a crash. Also, it's just downright clumsy compared to a controlled closure.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Electrical Fire posted:

I'm at least 20 hours into Fallout 4 and it hasn't crashed once. Am I just lucky?

I've played over twice that long and haven't seen a single crash yet. It's horribly buggy, the performance is terrible despite looking way worse than skyrim which runs better on my computer, and the load times are awful, but they actually seem to have kept it pretty crash free. Maybe for the next game they'll have it crash free + fix one of the problems above.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
There's a mod that does nothing but make it so that Oblivion doesn't crash when you exit. It's basically mandatory if you have any other mods whatsoever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alaois posted:

probably, all the other legacy console commands seem to work

Can you still rename NPCs?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Maybe Bethesda's secretly been developing the F-35's software.

Nuebot posted:

Can you still rename NPCs?

You absolutely can. Actually I'm not positive, but I can't see why they'd disable that.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Nov 25, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Nuebot posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of three dog but at least he was charismatic and wasn't annoying. I turned on the radio in this game for a bit and heard him spend like thirty seconds, or at least what felt like thirty seconds, awkwardly mumbling about a song and then that god awful "Mighty Mighty Man" song came on and I haven't l listened to the radio since.

You shut your drat mouth. Mighty, Mighty Man is a great song. :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

whoaaaaaah I'm a mighty mighty *click*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You shut your drat mouth. Mighty, Mighty Man is a great song. :colbert:

I'm sure it is. But you can only listen to it so many times before you get sick of it. For some people, that may be ten times. Or seventy. Or three hundred. Basically, everyone has a breaking point.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

HAmbONE posted:

Are you using the pipboy app? The game crashes on close if the app is connected for me (even if I use qqq), but if I close the app before I quit the game then the game doesn't crash on close.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure it is. But you can only listen to it so many times before you get sick of it. For some people, that may be ten times. Or seventy. Or three hundred. Basically, everyone has a breaking point.

Big Iron has no breaking point. :colbert:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Viperix posted:

The real troll of New Vegas was including songs that weren't Big Iron.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Viperix posted:

It had been a while since I'd played New Vegas, so I looked up the song on YouTube, figuring there was no way there could be a song I wouldn't get sick of. And as soon as it started I remembered that indeed, Big Iron is catchy and atmospheric as heck and is the best song in the game. Is it back in 4? I read "Anything Goes" is, which makes the musical nerd in me happy.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Technically it's Creation Engine, which is a modification of Gamebryo by Bethsoft.

Which, if I'm not mistaken, is a modification of NetImmerse by Bethsoft.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Veotax posted:

Are you using the pipboy app? The game crashes on close if the app is connected for me (even if I use qqq), but if I close the app before I quit the game then the game doesn't crash on close.

No I'm not using the app or any mods. I thought it was just a funny thing but it seems to have heralded a breakdown in my game. Weapons and crafting items/menus not appearing properly, jittery game play, and slower terminals. Just auto-updated, had to re-sign the EULA....and it crashes when I try to load a game now :(

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

60$ well spent

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

Which, if I'm not mistaken, is a modification of NetImmerse by Bethsoft.

You are. Gamebryo was developed from NetImmerse, but not by Bethsoft. A handful of other games used it (including one of mine, made during a games course where they taught us using Gamebryo. Then Gamebryo went out of business. Oh well.)

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Nov 28, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gamebryo has been used in so many cool games it's really funny when idiots use it as the reason Bethesda games are buggy pieces of poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ryoshi posted:

Gamebryo has been used in so many cool games it's really funny when idiots use it as the reason Bethesda games are buggy pieces of poo poo.

I think the funniest thing is people complaining about large games being buggy garbage when every large program is buggy garbage. Almost all small programs are also buggy garbage. What I'm saying is "all code is bad" so bitching that the game only works as intended 99% of the time is a bit unfair.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I would pay so so so much money for a Bethesda game that worked correctly 99% of the time it's not even funny. You're completely missing the complaint here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

I would pay so so so much money for a Bethesda game that worked correctly 99% of the time it's not even funny. You're completely missing the complaint here.

Don't just say 'you're wrong', then. Tell them why they're wrong too.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Natsume is really notorious for horrible and lazy localizations.

Like Harvest Moon 64 where they literally spelled their own company name wrong on the title screen? Who the hell is "Natume"

In all honesty though, the 64 version is broken and buggy to the point it didn't feel complete. Game freezes, walking off the map, etc. All things considered though, I loved that damned game and am disappointed that I never owned it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Don't just say 'you're wrong', then. Tell them why they're wrong too.

How about the fact that they were so married to the idea of releasing Skyrim on 11-11-11 that exceptionally obvious poo poo like the completely busted procedural quests didn't get caught in QA like they would have in any halfway competent development house? I mean I'm a software developer and if we tried to deliver a product as slipshod as a Bethesda game to a client there would be lawsuits involved for breach of contract.

There's the tiny oversight style bugs that all software has and then there's "the major feature on the back of the box doesn't work in 85% of cases", and Bethesda games fall into the latter category.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zortzico posted:

Like Harvest Moon 64 where they literally spelled their own company name wrong on the title screen? Who the hell is "Natume"

In all honesty though, the 64 version is broken and buggy to the point it didn't feel complete. Game freezes, walking off the map, etc. All things considered though, I loved that damned game and am disappointed that I never owned it.

To be fair, some of the bugs (like walking off the map) are really hard to pull off. The freezes are hardware errors, not software (they don't appear in emulation), and the most common normal glitch players will encounter will be the auto-scrolling runoff text when you talk to your horse, followed by improperly-drawn text boxes during certain events.

That translation, though. Sometimes, I wonder if they even had a native English speaker working on it. Even though it scrolls by really quickly, yes, you do ask your horse, "How you are doing today?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

While the rest of it is just really poor translation, "Natume" is a valid if nonstandard (and presumably not legally valid as their name) romanisation of なつめ. :eng101:

That's not to say it wasn't a mistake but it's a comparatively harmless one

• Locked thread