Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I missed a bunch of pages while away, what's the thread title about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

http://www.startribune.com/minn-gop-group-deletes-tweet-dfl-called-racist-and-bigoted/353162601/

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Once again, DFL politicians put "anything else" ahead of reducing the opportunity gap for native americans in rural areas.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

I missed a bunch of pages while away, what's the thread title about?

quote:

"I obviously am not happy about the events that happened last week in Paris, but I think it's a positive development that it suddenly has forced Americans to confront more carefully the issue of national security."
Marco Rubio Or something similar. It's back a ways now.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

I'm trying to come up with a witty rejoinder about the GOP knowing exactly how to solve "negroproblems" but after watching that cop video I just can't anymore. Time to hit up the puppy thread.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Epic High Five posted:

This doesn't surprise me in the least, the real question is, if this guy gets nailed for 1st degree (which if you can't stomach watching the video, it's BLATANT) could the DA be in hot water if he doesn't follow up on nevermind they'll just say they don't remember the names of the officers who did it and the investigation will go nowhere

I can see the officer not getting convicted in this case; I mean I can see him getting convicted also, but if he walks I would not be surprised given the facts at issue there.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

For context: 12 field staff is about what you'd have for a well-funded Congressional district. Position matters; are these 12 statewide coordinators, or 12 iowa-orientated coordinators? What is their past record? How many volunteers and local connections do they bring with them? Can they work well with finance side? All important campaign infrastructure questions.

Republicans tend to be less field-heavy in their campaigns than Dems. Trump has 12, which is also how many Bush has. Rubio has 6. Presumably they're going to ramp that up as we get closer. Field budget = FOs * time, so you can hire 1 staffer for the last 10 weeks, or 2 for the last 5 weeks, or 3 for the final push (last 3-4 weeks). You definitely need some staffers early so they can identify volunteers and volunteer leaders, but most of the voter contact you have to do for GOTV you can't really start until mid-January, so it makes sense to backload some of your hires if you're not going too heavy into field.

By contrast, Hillary has 78 FOs in Iowa, and that's just frontline field staffers. Bernie has 20 FOs and about 50 total staff.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Joementum posted:

Someone in Amazon's marketing department thought this would be a totally chill and cool ad design for NYC subways.

Might be confused for trump campaign material.

About /pol/ though. I've visited it and I can't Guage how much of it is serious. Can't stump the trump? Flimflam the zimzam? That's not really storm front material.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc3c6cK9p_w

That is, I am guessing, the white supremacists video of them video taping the protest before some stuff happens. There is no audio so you can't really tell what is going on. The two sides started talking with each other congenially enough but the tension appears to rise until some indeterminate stuff happens and then the video ends.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Torpor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc3c6cK9p_w

That is, I am guessing, the white supremacists video of them video taping the protest before some stuff happens. There is no audio so you can't really tell what is going on. The two sides started talking with each other congenially enough but the tension appears to rise until some indeterminate stuff happens and then the video ends.
"Victim's Perspective"

lol

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shageletic posted:

Broken link

poo poo stupid phone. I'll do better when I get home.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So I saw something interesting about Turkey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_NATO

Apparently they have the second highest numbers of active (and inactive) troops only behind the U.S.? Really? More than the UK or France? What's up with that?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Gonna be very curious to see how the right rationalizes the Chicago shooting after that video's released. Jesus Christ...

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Mr Interweb posted:

Apparently they have the second highest numbers of active (and inactive) troops only behind the U.S.? Really? More than the UK or France? What's up with that?

Located with some lovely neighbors?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ron Jeremy posted:

About /pol/ though. I've visited it and I can't Guage how much of it is serious. Can't stump the trump? Flimflam the zimzam? That's not really storm front material.

I've begun lurking /tv/ a bit because one of my friends told me it is just as bad as /pol/ and it is. Also mind, /pol/ is something like the fourth largest board. I'm pretty sure most of it is in earnest, or semi-earnest. People don't spend that much time and effort making graphs and infographics and coming up with arguments for poo poo they don't believe.
I mean, or maybe they do? But usually the thrill of trolling seems to be the rise that you get from people. Why post on /pol/ then? Posting racist poo poo on /pol/ wont inflame or upset anyone, but posting it on Tumblr would. Why, then, do they congregate at /pol/?

Like, there's a reason the shitposters and trolls here generally have far-right gimmicks. A far-left one would generally not evoke much of a reaction.

I think the sad, terrifying, conclusion borne out by reasoning and the general statistics of poo poo is that most people on 4chan are, at least on matters of gender and race, semi-serious and likely differ from what they post only in extremity but not in belief. They may be lying about HOW much they hate blacks and women, but they certainly aren't lying in that they hate them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I think its probably a mix. I think alot of it is to piss off/trigger the tumblr/twitter crowd for laughs. But I am sure there are plenty of them who unrionicaly start to believe it after a while.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ballz posted:

Gonna be very curious to see how the right rationalizes the Chicago shooting after that video's released. Jesus Christ...

Have you seen what is occuring in Israel right now with knife-wielding individuals? Knives kill.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

Have you seen what is occuring in Israel right now with knife-wielding individuals? Knives kill.
Oh, get cancer already.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

JT Jag posted:

"Victim's Perspective"

lol

How weird that it doesn't have sound, oh well, must have just been a coincidence and not a manipulation tactic whatsoever.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Also, I think I officially have had enough of Sam Harris:

quote:

During a discussion on whether the U.S. should allow Syrian refugees into the county, neuroscientist and atheism advocate Sam Harris continued his personal jihad with author Noam Chomsky while finding common cause with Christian conservative GOP presidential candidates who want to keep the refugees out.

In his podcast interview with author Douglas Murray, Harris lamented the “demagoguery on both sides” by the political parties, while accusing President Barack Obama of being “politically stupid” in the way he addresses the threat of Islamic fanaticism. Harris did have kind words for Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz, despite admitting that he is a “religious maniac.’

“The Republicans are right to be completely outraged by this — and they’re completely crazy,” Harris explained.”This is a terrible situation to be in politically.”

It was toward the end of the broadcast that Harris had to take a shot at author Chomsky with whom he has had a running battle over ideology and political worldviews.

“Given a choice between Noam Chomsky and Ben Carson, in terms of the totality of their understanding of what’s happening now in the world, I’d vote for Ben Carson every time,” Harris stated. “Ben Carson is a dangerously deluded religious imbecile, Ben Carson does not…the fact that he is a candidate for president is a scandal…but at the very least he can be counted on to sort of get this one right. He understands that jihadists are the enemy.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/sam-harris-id-vote-for-dangerously-deluded-religious-imbecile-ben-carson-over-noam-chomsky/

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

My Imaginary GF posted:

Have you seen what is occuring in Israel right now with knife-wielding individuals?

Yeah lotta knife-holding individuals getting public executions over there too :agreed:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yikes. What happened to your gimmick where you were a Chicago-machine democrat??

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

The Kingfish posted:

Yikes. What happened to your gimmick where you were a Chicago-machine democrat??

As someone in Chicago the Chicago machine democrats are lovely about this stuff too.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mr Interweb posted:

The military has been played a disproportionately large role in Turkish affairs pretty much since the end of the Ottoman period and I think they more or less still think of themselves as the ultimate bulwark of a Kemalist state. As recently as the 1980s the country was under military rule, and that combined with Turkey being sandwiched between Russia and the rest of the middle east, it's not that surprising that the army's rather large.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

Chicago Democratic Party: Standing behind its police since 1919

What I'm really wondering is, what precisely does Alvarez hope to gun for with this prosecution? Mayor next time around?

Good Citizen posted:

As someone in Chicago the Chicago machine democrats are lovely about this stuff too.

Our boys in blue are there to protect and serve.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think its probably a mix. I think alot of it is to piss off/trigger the tumblr/twitter crowd for laughs. But I am sure there are plenty of them who unrionicaly start to believe it after a while.

Kind of like how LF turned me into a maoist third worlder?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Ballz posted:

Coming up with the expected defense argument under the facts is not really that difficult. The guy was acting erratically, not listening to officer commands, and had a knife, ergo the officer was reasonably whatevertheirstandardneedstobe.

Edit: apparently the dispatch folks had already requested a taser on scene. I don't know what the CPD needs to have happen before that call is made, but that will also be included as being within the officer's understandings of whatever he needs to be concerned/scared about. The (relatively close) distances between the officer and McDonald will also be an issue.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 25, 2015

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Torpor posted:

Coming up with the expected defense argument under the facts is not really that difficult. The guy was acting erratically, not listening to officer commands, and had a knife, ergo the officer was reasonably whatevertheirstandardneedstobe.

Shooting him 16 times, mostly after he was incapacitated on the ground, is facially indefensible to the point that they are more likely to adopt the position that it was a heat of the moment error and it would be unfair to judge if you weren't there.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

EvanSchenck posted:

Shooting him 16 times, mostly after he was incapacitated on the ground, is facially indefensible to the point that they are more likely to adopt the position that it was a heat of the moment error and it would be unfair to judge if you weren't there.

He looked like a demon. Came right at me.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

EvanSchenck posted:

Shooting him 16 times, mostly after he was incapacitated on the ground, is facially indefensible

No, that fact is not 'facially indefensible'; of all of the facts of the incident that is not that surprising or interesting.

The first expert the defense is going to get on retainer will testify for the purposes of explaining that that happens often and is reasonable.

Edit: I mean that isn't a good fact, but it isn't exactly the end of the story.

Double Edit: you also need to understand the standard the officer is supposed to use in making the decision to shoot in the first place. I dont know what it is in the CPD, but i will guess it can be made helpful to the officer.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

EvanSchenck posted:

Worked for the cop that murdered Oscar grant. Gee, I thought it was my taser. Didn't realize til my clip was empty.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

EvanSchenck posted:

I think they might try "You can't murder someone who'd already dead"

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
I should explain the shooting 16 times not being exciting thing; I thiiink it was a fact in the case of People v. Goetz. If memory serves me, and it usually doesnt, but if it is; then there was an issue in the case where Goetz spent his last bullet on one of the guys he shot after the guy was already on the ground. I think the defense basically argued that if you are going to pull the trigger the first time, you are just going to keep pulling the trigger until the gun is empty. I don't remember if they had an expert show up or not, but apparently that type of thing isn't uncommon.

That type of thing can also be justified by stating that the officer was so scared of the threat that he started shooting or something; the point is that if the officer makes the decision to pull the trigger one time he has already made the decision to kill the guy; if the officer thinks he is justified that first time, why wouldn't he still be justified for the next 15 shots in rapid succession?

It would be kind of odd for the officer to argue that he thought he had the facts necessary to shoot but only shot once and then stopped because that makes it sound like he didn't really have the facts present to shoot in the first place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Torpor posted:

I should explain the shooting 16 times not being exciting thing; I thiiink it was a fact in the case of People v. Goetz. If memory serves me, and it usually doesnt, but if it is; then there was an issue in the case where Goetz spent his last bullet on one of the guys he shot after the guy was already on the ground. I think the defense basically argued that if you are going to pull the trigger the first time, you are just going to keep pulling the trigger until the gun is empty. I don't remember if they had an expert show up or not, but apparently that type of thing isn't uncommon.

That type of thing can also be justified by stating that the officer was so scared of the threat that he started shooting or something; the point is that if the officer makes the decision to pull the trigger one time he has already made the decision to kill the guy; if the officer thinks he is justified that first time, why wouldn't he still be justified for the next 15 shots in rapid succession?

It would be kind of odd for the officer to argue that he thought he had the facts necessary to shoot but only shot once and then stopped because that makes it sound like he didn't really have the facts present to shoot in the first place.

Because he'd reloaded his gun and was about to dump a second mag into the victim but his partner somehow stopped him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Kind of like how LF turned me into a maoist third worlder?

i guess, though personally i think Jason Unruhe who is a total rear end clown. him and mao, poisoned that philosophy for me forever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkLrmGb7RHo

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

FAUXTON posted:

Because he'd reloaded his gun and was about to dump a second mag into the victim but his partner somehow stopped him.

I think that also happened in a NYPD case where the officers were acquitted.

Edit: I can't actually remember, I thought it was Amadou Diallo's case but my cursory search didn't find anything.

However, all is not lost:

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/05/23/justice-denied-cleveland-cop-reloaded-gun-shooting-african-americans-acquitted.html

That case involved a car backfiring which the cops mistook for gunshots and then things went bad.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 25, 2015

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Thanks for this link, I've been debating with a good friend of mine who thinks that Sam Harris and Bill Maher aren't bigoted but Very Serious Athiests. This might have actually broken through the bias, it's just so ugly and gross.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i guess, though personally i think Jason Unruhe who is a total rear end clown. him and mao, poisoned that philosophy for me forever.

I was going to link some Avakian when I found myself on his wikipedia page. His father's name was Spurgeon, which is the name chosen by the Duggar daughter for their baby and the coincidence completely derailed my original train of thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dapper_Swindler posted:

When you spend all your time trying to upset strawman versions of actual women, minorities, and people who just aren't pieces of poo poo - you've stopped being ironically racist/sexist/whatever long ago. You're just plain a piece of poo poo.

Most the time the people they think they're trolling are others of the trolling group running fake accounts, a fuckin ouroborous of suck.

• Locked thread