Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I'm pretty sure you can just kill him, but no, I don't think you can "save" him. He is a raider after all.

You cannot kill him either. Even if you back out of dialogue and try to kill him in VATS, you'll hear X6 give the code that shuts him down. Doesn't even turn him friendly, either. Turns him into a terrain piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Any idea what these jangle monkeys do?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VaultAggie posted:

Any idea what these jangle monkeys do?

The cymbal clapping ones? They alert enemies to your presence.

On rare occasions they are traps and explode.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
I think he means the moon monkeys. You just break them down for resources.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sjonnar posted:

I think he means the moon monkeys. You just break them down for resources.

You put them all over your settlement is what you do with them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

NESguerilla posted:

Sometimes I think they'd be better off not bothering with a main quest and break up what would have been that into a dozen or so long rear end stand alone side quests.

I agree. Just let you set up your own motivation in or after the character creator. "Why did you come to the wasteland?" then you can pick from like work, money, adventure or other generic reasons and off you go. Which is basically what the alternate start mod for skyrim let you do,

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Zero VGS posted:

I figured out myself that the Better Criticals perk doesn't stack with sneak attack criticals, I guess they're two separate types.

New question, if I sneak attack someone with a VATS Critical, does that multiply with the sneak attack? Or does it just make it so it can't miss?

Based on the in game descriptions, my own experiments, and the formulas someone posted on the Fallout Wikia site, I'm about 90% sure that there are no sneak criticals in FO4. There is a straight damage multiplier for sneak attacks (improvable with Ninja and Mr. Sandman perks), and there is a critical multiplier (affected by weapon and Better Criticals perk), but they are completely unrelated concepts in FO4, unlike in the previous games.

e: so to actually answer your questions, if you perform a VATS critical while [Hidden] then you won't get the sneak multiplier at all.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I shot some dude's leg off while he was still alive and at first I was like "HOLY poo poo" but then I realized he was a synth :(

First mod I want is to be able to do that to any enemy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Seashell Salesman posted:

e: so to actually answer your questions, if you perform a VATS critical while [Hidden] then you won't get the sneak multiplier at all.

Are you sure?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Found a power armor frame with nothing but a torso and a left arm. Where can I find more parts for it so I can have multiple suits that all have different looks?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

I shot some dude's leg off while he was still alive and at first I was like "HOLY poo poo" but then I realized he was a synth :(

Yeah even Resident Evil 2 let you go all Clarence Boddicker on zombies, you'd think they'd at least make it a thing for ghouls, if not all enemies.

I know if I do a non-critical VATS shot, that can get a sneak attack multiplier like a normal shot can, I'm just not sure if I can combine both and stack those. If I can, then Better Criticals / Critical Banking could let me do some insane money shot.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I want an alt start mod where you can be a synth and have institute relay access from day 0, that could be neat. Same with start as a BOS guy and start when the prydyn shows up.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Nuebot posted:

Are you sure?

Actually I just tested this again and now I'm seeing the message about stealth multiplier being applied, so maybe it does work?

My first attempt at building a character in this I was trying to build the whole character around stacking stealth + VATS crit and it wasn't procing so now I really don't know what the gently caress. Considering restarting but so many hours sunk into settlement building...

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 25, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah even Resident Evil 2 let you go all Clarence Boddicker on zombies, you'd think they'd at least make it a thing for ghouls, if not all enemies.

Uh, I'm pretty sure you can shoot off all the limbs on ghouls.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zero VGS posted:

You can? If you shoot a ghoul in the leg a couple times, it'll blow off, and if your weapon isn't strong enough to have killed it yet, it will just lay on the ground all sad looking while dogmeat tears him to pieces.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s4jpMXP3LQ

Now that's what I call a twist :siren:spoilers:siren:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Zero VGS posted:

On more than 1 occasion I've blown both arms off of a ghoul, or just a leg and had it claw its way towards me on the ground.

It happens more frequently early game when your weapons don't do a lot of damage, rather than late game where you can one-shot ghouls with ease.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
Are there any benefits to finishing all of the Weathervane/MILA missions? I've got 2 left and I'm kind of sick of them at this point (there are 11 total)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

You can? If you shoot a ghoul in the leg a couple times, it'll blow off, and if your weapon isn't strong enough to have killed it yet, it will just lay on the ground all sad looking while dogmeat tears him to pieces.

Oh, never noticed it I guess then.

Actually I just tested this again and now I'm seeing the message about stealth multiplier being applied, so maybe it does work?

My first attempt at building a character in this I was trying to build the whole character around stacking stealth + VATS crit and it wasn't procing so now I really don't know what the gently caress. Considering restarting but so many hours sunk into settlement building...

I'm seeing the same thing, I get both the Sneak Attack text and the VATS Critical text, so I guess this could be my ticket to one-shotting super bads.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

conversation piece posted:

Are there any benefits to finishing all of the Weathervane/MILA missions? I've got 2 left and I'm kind of sick of them at this point (there are 11 total)

There's 11 of them fuuuuuuck. Are they necessary to get the railroad woven cloth mod thing?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

khy posted:

On more than 1 occasion I've blown both arms off of a ghoul, or just a leg and had it claw its way towards me on the ground.

It happens more frequently early game when your weapons don't do a lot of damage, rather than late game where you can one-shot ghouls with ease.

I'm aware you can do it to ghouls. I want it on everything though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I'm aware you can do it to ghouls. I want it on everything though.

Make it like in MGSV where you can shoot a guy and he'll just roll on the ground screaming and his buddies will run over and do that "Don't you die on me!" line while they bleed out.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Solemn Sloth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s4jpMXP3LQ

Now that's what I call a twist :siren:spoilers:siren:

This was so poorly done.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So far the level 4 merchant random encounter trigger points I've discovered are northeast of concord, directly off the main road to the right at a campfire, and just behind the mass fusion containment shed. Fuckers are still bugged though. They say they'll come to your settlement but they never show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I agree. Just let you set up your own motivation in or after the character creator. "Why did you come to the wasteland?" then you can pick from like work, money, adventure or other generic reasons and off you go. Which is basically what the alternate start mod for skyrim let you do,

Yeah I think "you are vault dweller go be a wastelander" is enough of a setup. Bethesda games are always like "Here is this ultra important task that also seems time sensitive. Now go largely ignore it for 150 hours and do random poo poo throughout the wasteland, only to sporadically come back to it and forget what it was even about sometimes." I'd rather just see them split it up into a handful of substantial yet mostly unrelated side missions that somehow effect how your game ends eventually.

Not that this is unique to bethesda games, but it's a crutch that open world games need to get over because having an over arching narrative usually doesn't work very well in that type of game. I think Bethesda does it abnormally poorly though.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I like Curie. What does Curie like? Science?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think if Bethesda wanted to make an open-world narrative they could of had the focus of the games main plot be on building up settlements across the wasteland. You know, turn it into more of a civilized place. The Minutemen would be the main part of the story and you would team up with the various factions to get more benefits for your settlers. Like, better tech for production from the Institute, defense from the Brotherhood, the Railroad could....I dunno, the Railroad just suck in this scenario. Still, the idea would be that the focus of the story is on being the general of the Minutemen and establishing a stable future for the Commonwealth, rather than all the current fuckery that doesn't really lead anywhere.

But then some people would complain about that because they'd be forced to do more of the settlement stuff :shrug:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The level 4 merchants have autogenerated faces in each game. I've seen Doc Anderson as a ghoul and as a blonde woman. Gender is set in stone though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Being nice to people, mostly.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Has anyone else noticed that if you sneak up on an enemy with some (all?) one handed melee weapons, and perform a power attack, your guy does a special animation where he stabs down into the enemy's shoulder? Sometimes when it happens the enemy will be still be on like 80% health but just fall dead, regardless. I think it can only happen on humans.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Has anyone else noticed that if you sneak up on an enemy with some (all?) one handed melee weapons, and perform a power attack, your guy does a special animation where he stabs down into the enemy's shoulder? Sometimes when it happens the enemy will be still be on like 80% health but just fall dead, regardless. I think it can only happen on humans.

I might be wrong but I thought I saw that animation proc on that one gifv of a guy oneshotting a mirelurk queen.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm noticing what I'm pretty sure is a significant combat exploit... if you are fighting something and you have a slow reloading gun like a bolt-action, you can fire a shot then go into VATS the instant you start the reload animation, wait a second or two, then exit VATS and press the fire button the instant you are exiting, wait until the reload animation starts and repeat.

It accomplishes two things, 1 is that it seems to result in faster reloading due to the temporal weirdness of VATS, and 2 all your shots land at center mass, even if the enemy is is a dog or bug jumping around you at point blank.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I might be wrong but I thought I saw that animation proc on that one gifv of a guy oneshotting a mirelurk queen.

I did an actual neck-snap animation on a raider that was an instant kill, that one surprised me.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I was kinda hoping Curie would be an immoral robot who literally embodies the vault tec spirit of loving with people.

I mean they give you a single dose worth of cure for a presumably lethal virus to see weather you will take it for yourself or give it to a kid... It makes perfect sense that they're loving with you.

Why yes I do have a boner for SHODAN and GlaDOS...

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I was in a Vault full of Gunners and the game decided to have a tiny room with one entry point have two skull-level Gunners and a Legendary Gunner who for whatever reason had a Fat Man and no issues using it in a tiny space. I eventually figured out a solution - I threw a HalluciGen grenade in there and let them go to town on each other, then popped a Stealth Boy and snuck in to take out what remained.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I'm noticing what I'm pretty sure is a significant combat exploit... if you are fighting something and you have a slow reloading gun like a bolt-action, you can fire a shot then go into VATS the instant you start the reload animation, wait a second or two, then exit VATS and press the fire button the instant you are exiting, wait until the reload animation starts and repeat.

It accomplishes two things, 1 is that it seems to result in faster reloading due to the temporal weirdness of VATS, and 2 all your shots land at center mass, even if the enemy is is a dog or bug jumping around you at point blank.
You could do the "center of mass" thing with VATS in FO3 and FONV too.

quote:

I did an actual neck-snap animation on a raider that was an instant kill, that one surprised me.
I remember seeing this one as well, but I forget which weapon I was using. Which weapon were you using when it happened?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I think if Bethesda wanted to make an open-world narrative they could of had the focus of the games main plot be on building up settlements across the wasteland. You know, turn it into more of a civilized place. The Minutemen would be the main part of the story and you would team up with the various factions to get more benefits for your settlers. Like, better tech for production from the Institute, defense from the Brotherhood, the Railroad could....I dunno, the Railroad just suck in this scenario. Still, the idea would be that the focus of the story is on being the general of the Minutemen and establishing a stable future for the Commonwealth, rather than all the current fuckery that doesn't really lead anywhere.

But then some people would complain about that because they'd be forced to do more of the settlement stuff :shrug:

I would complain about that. The settlement stuff seems...fine. That said I haven't felt compelled in the least bit to do it to any extent yet. I would like this game far less if I didn't have that choice.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Being nice to people, mostly.

And also science. If given the choice between science and the supernatural, she won't like it if you're all "I believe in magic!"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Curie likes being nice to people, mostly. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any repeatable actions you can do that please her, like lockpicking for Piper or eating people as Strong.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah I think "you are vault dweller go be a wastelander" is enough of a setup. Bethesda games are always like "Here is this ultra important task that also seems time sensitive. Now go largely ignore it for 150 hours and do random poo poo throughout the wasteland, only to sporadically come back to it and forget what it was even about sometimes." I'd rather just see them split it up into a handful of substantial yet mostly unrelated side missions that somehow effect how your game ends eventually.

Not that this is unique to bethesda games, but it's a crutch that open world games need to get over because having an over arching narrative usually doesn't work very well in that type of game. I think Bethesda does it abnormally poorly though.
I'd say New Vegas did this well. The main plot was just "find out who shot you in the head" which gets resolved pretty quick. After that its just about finding out which side to ally with. While the war over the dam is imminent, its never exactly urgent, so it makes sense that you would wander around figuring out the world before committing to a side. You get to see each faction preparing for the war before the war actually happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only settlements I've bothered adding resources or defense to to any extent were the first Red Rocket and Sanctuary Hills, the rest I just helped out and said "The Minutemen did it!" and then left the dirt farmers to their dirt. I think that's good enough :shrug:

So has anybody else encountered that one guy (I think his name's Ash or some other three-letter name) who gets into a fight with his (presumably synth) doppelganger? I've ran into him twice, both times in or around Bunker Hill, and it's weird because the first time it happened the one that won the fight was like "that guy stole my face!" except the guy he killed had muscles and bones and bled blood. Then later I stumbled across him again and accidentally aggroed him when I mistook him or his doppelganger for a raider, both of them were out in the middle of nowhere on a deserted street shooting at each other.

• Locked thread