Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Speedball posted:

Curie likes being nice to people, mostly. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any repeatable actions you can do that please her, like lockpicking for Piper or eating people as Strong.

Someone mentioned earlier that you could grind approval with her by repeatedly shooting Dogmeat and stimpacking him back up.

In any case, she seems to approve of you doing the repeatable Minuteman quests if you're not being an rear end about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

eSporks posted:

I'd say New Vegas did this well. The main plot was just "find out who shot you in the head" which gets resolved pretty quick. After that its just about finding out which side to ally with. While the war over the dam is imminent, its never exactly urgent, so it makes sense that you would wander around figuring out the world before committing to a side. You get to see each faction preparing for the war before the war actually happens.

Agreed.

I find it weird that the light combat armor and heavy combat armor are both just called combat armor in the inventory despite looking totally different.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

The only settlements I've bothered adding resources or defense to to any extent were the first Red Rocket and Sanctuary Hills, the rest I just helped out and said "The Minutemen did it!" and then left the dirt farmers to their dirt. I think that's good enough :shrug:

So has anybody else encountered that one guy (I think his name's Ash or some other three-letter name) who gets into a fight with his (presumably synth) doppelganger? I've ran into him twice, both times in or around Bunker Hill, and it's weird because the first time it happened the one that won the fight was like "that guy stole my face!" except the guy he killed had muscles and bones and bled blood. Then later I stumbled across him again and accidentally aggroed him when I mistook him or his doppelganger for a raider, both of them were out in the middle of nowhere on a deserted street shooting at each other.

His name is Art and I've only seen him once so far.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Broken Cog posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that you could grind approval with her by repeatedly shooting Dogmeat and stimpacking him back up.

In any case, she seems to approve of you doing the repeatable Minuteman quests if you're not being an rear end about it.

One catch is that you can only do it once every few hours. It also seems like maybe the game reduces how effective stuff like that is over time. It might've just been my imagination but I did that method over and over again, got a "curie likes this" every time, and I still had to get her to like something in a conversation to trigger the next "us talk"

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Agreed.

I find it weird that the light combat armor and heavy combat armor are both just called combat armor in the inventory despite looking totally different.

They lose their "sturdy" and "heavy" text prefixes if they have armor mods attached to them, making it impossible to tell what quality they are at a glance because Bethesda is mind-bogglingly incompetent.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

First time I took Curie to Goodneighbor she was so excited about the old state house that I took her in and we wandered around a bit. Sadly, though, they did not have ze tour brochure.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can anyone help me figure out this games confusion faction system? I want to complete as much of the individual factions quest lines as possible, and I want to reach max affinity with every companion in the game to get all of the perks, before finally completing the main quest line with likely the institute (for the sweet X-01 skin). What are the individual points of no return with all of the factions and companions? Are there any companions that I will lose by completing the institute questline other than Danse because of the brotherhood and Deacon because of the railroad? Can the minutemen stay neutral to the questline, or will I need to do everything with them before I burn my bridges?

My crippling need for as much completion is making this difficult.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Seashell Salesman posted:

Actually I just tested this again and now I'm seeing the message about stealth multiplier being applied, so maybe it does work?

My first attempt at building a character in this I was trying to build the whole character around stacking stealth + VATS crit and it wasn't procing so now I really don't know what the gently caress. Considering restarting but so many hours sunk into settlement building...

If hidden and using vats you get both sneak + crit (if you use a crit). It does stack.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Two more captures from my time in the Commonwealth:

For everyone complaining about Brahmin on roofs or stuck in rooms, I've had both happen, myself and I understund. That said, this is probably my favorite. Brahmin Pyramid:

Secondly, I figured out what's so special about the Vault-Tec Rep.

He is a Hollow Man.

e: The fourth Brahmin had just wandered off when I went to snap that first screencap (and, as you see, is still obviously present in the capture, to the right of the frame), but when I first got there from my fast travel, there was a 2x2 of Brahmin, two atop two others. I assume it has something to do with having just the one bath tub in the yard as a watering hole. Assuming that logic holds water at all, it seems like they spawn the Brahmin around the tubs.

Also I realize that 2x2 is a cube and not a pyramid.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 25, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't find my Vault-Tec Dude after I assigned him a supply line.

I checked all of my settlements, but he's...gone. RIP Colonel.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A wandering trader sold me a brahmin. She said that having a brahmin around in your settlement makes your crops more fertile and produce extra stuff that goes to the workbench inventory more often, or something.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
After you turn on the signal emitter at Spectacle Island are mirelurks meant to sneak back onto the island and you just constantly have to chase them off? It's really weird, they won't attack me back and they just run back into the sea when I shoot at them, but as soon as I turn around they come back.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't find my Vault-Tec Dude after I assigned him a supply line.

I checked all of my settlements, but he's...gone. RIP Colonel.

Don't worry, my Robot Detective has been missing for almost a week now and he had 100 pounds of bone material on him. I've done a ton of Googling and reading some incredibly god-awful threads trying to solve it, and I couldn't even get the guy to make an appearance when I was trying to finish his special companion quest. Emphasis on 'trying,' since I gave up when I felt it was nearing a close and I didn't have the companion in question with me (or any clue as to where he went).

If there's anything to be said about the game's realism at all, it's: Be careful who you put your junk in. The Commonwealth is unforgiving.

He's not even in a dog house.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I just send all my Companions to live at Red Rocket. It's tiny so there's nowhere for them to hide.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BurritoJustice posted:

Can anyone help me figure out this games confusion faction system? I want to complete as much of the individual factions quest lines as possible, and I want to reach max affinity with every companion in the game to get all of the perks, before finally completing the main quest line with likely the institute (for the sweet X-01 skin). What are the individual points of no return with all of the factions and companions? Are there any companions that I will lose by completing the institute questline other than Danse because of the brotherhood and Deacon because of the railroad? Can the minutemen stay neutral to the questline, or will I need to do everything with them before I burn my bridges?

My crippling need for as much completion is making this difficult.

You're in luck because Bethesda is so concerned about anyone possibly missing out on any single quest that it doesn't happen until right at the very end. You won't get locked out of doing quests for a faction until you get a quest that is literally called "Wipe out [faction]" or you get a big popup warning that tells you you will become permanently hostile if you complete the next quest. In the case of the latter, even after I did the quest, a new quest showed up in my log that would let me get back into the good graces of the people I supposedly burned bridges with. So I guess the only way to really stop doing quests for a faction is to kill them.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Speedball posted:

A wandering trader sold me a brahmin. She said that having a brahmin around in your settlement makes your crops more fertile and produce extra stuff that goes to the workbench inventory more often, or something.

I guess that's good for me, since I've got so many at each settlement they are literally piling up.

I really should have gotten a screen of the three inside the house at Jamaica Plains. For all the bitching about this game being broken and stuff, I certainly get a poo poo-ton of enjoyment out of these glitches, and it seems like most other players do, too. Not trying to justify half-assing it, but if an entertainment product manages to continue entertaining at its most broken, it's hard not to consider it a success to at least some extent.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
The page for Vault 111 on the Fallout Wikia says this under Bugs:

quote:

If you didn't open Nora/Nate's pod and retrieve their wedding ring before leaving the vault, going back will still trigger the same dialogue ("I'll find Shaun") even if you have already completed the game, this is the same with all the dialogue from activating the pods, and the Sole Survivor shouting if he's the only one alive, why vault tec would do this, etcetera

Does this actually happen? It lists the bug as 'unverified' on the page.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PantsBandit posted:

One catch is that you can only do it once every few hours. It also seems like maybe the game reduces how effective stuff like that is over time. It might've just been my imagination but I did that method over and over again, got a "curie likes this" every time, and I still had to get her to like something in a conversation to trigger the next "us talk"

You can cheat this by doing it, quick saving then reloading immediately, it resets the cool down apparently, if you're that way inclined.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Correnth posted:

I didn't take the ring or open the cryo chamber, i'll test this out right now.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Correnth posted:

I couldn't open the pod at all, but it did trigger the dialogue. The $500 boost in the early game would have been really nice

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Hah, the ATF is now the Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms, and Lasers :allears:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Correnth posted:

Yes, you still go "oh god..." and such every time you click a body even going back later. I went back for the ring at like 35.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

Hah, the ATF is now the Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms, and Lasers :allears:

I love that.

Something I noticed in the Freedom Museum: It mentions Americans fighting a war on the Sea of Tranquility. We had soldiers fighting ON THE MOON in Fallout-verse.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Correnth posted:

Odobenidae posted:

I didn't take the ring or open the cryo chamber, i'll test this out right now.

Yeah it works. Maybe if I hadn't triggered all the angry screaming dialogue it would have been available too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Speedball posted:

I love that.

Something I noticed in the Freedom Museum: It mentions Americans fighting a war on the Sea of Tranquility. We had soldiers fighting ON THE MOON in Fallout-verse.

There's your breadcrumb for fallout 5

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Speedball posted:

I love that.

In the Fallout-verse, the Boston Red Sox hadn't won a single world series title between 1918 and 2077. Though IRL they hadn't won between 1918 and 2004, so...

The bombs fell the day of the last game in the series, so they didn't win in 2077 either :v:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Nitrox posted:

I couldn't open the pod at all, but it did trigger the dialogue. The $500 boost in the early game would have been really nice

The caps aren't that important, getting married by a sea captain is.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Melanion posted:

I feel like I came up with a good name for my balistically-armored trilby.

Military Mom ain't got time to hunt no boring babby, she got stuff to explore and back-sassin' synths to face-hole.

P.S. I hate how the raider arm clashes with the theme I've got going, but it makes me all stealthy. I'm actually considering upping my legendary chance to an even MORE ridiculous level (Pretty sure I have it at 20x now) just to have more chances at thematically appropriate legendaries.

I love that raider arm. Gives her character.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the replies. That is... sad.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Where do you find the Airport ID card for the Duty or Dishonor quest? I searched though all of the airport ruins and talked to the people in the airport, but I just can't find it!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I finally got to some of the endgame stuff (I think), and holy poo poo Bethesda's quest writing is so bad sometimes. So much of the stuff around the "big reveal" feels really half-assed, and the speed with which you just accept everything and go on another shoot-some-guys quest is hilarious. Also your character is dumb for not realizing the super obvious, that the time between when you got refrozen after your son was stolen and when you got out of the vault could have been anywhere from 0 to 200 years and there was zero reason to assume your kid was still a kid when they could be dead of old age for all you know. And there's so many missing dialog options when you get to the Institute, like you just don't have the ability to ask anyone any of the really obvious urgent questions like "why are you making synths" or "are you really kidnapping people and if so why?" or "what's your actual overall plan here?"

And then when you leave, you don't have dialog options to tell most people who you would want to tell about the crazy poo poo you learned. I would think Nick Valentine at least deserves to hear some of that poo poo, but nope.

And there's the usual Skyim-style ridiculousness of every faction having complete trust in you instantly, but it feels especially stupid with the Institute for some reason.

I'm really enjoying the game overall so far, but the main quest stuff just seems to plummet in quality as I get near the end.

But I have hot pink X-01 armor and a dog wearing goggles so whatever man.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Where do you find the Airport ID card for the Duty or Dishonor quest? I searched though all of the airport ruins and talked to the people in the airport, but I just can't find it!

When you zone into the ruins, turn right (or maybe left) at the elevator you need the keycard for, and walk down there the long way. You only get the keycard on your way out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So is the trick with max happiness just to build a minimall of the same several stores across the town?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

When you zone into the ruins, turn right (or maybe left) at the elevator you need the keycard for, and walk down there the long way. You only get the keycard on your way out.

There's rubble at the end of both ways from the elevator. I can the doors to the right to kill some ghouls but that also leads to a dead end

E:Nevermind, turned out some of the rubble was a very well disguised ramp up

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 25, 2015

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love the end of the Silver Shroud quest so much.

It's super if you stay in character the whole time.
Spoiler for the end of the quest

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I kinda wrote off the laser musket when I first got it but God drat is a 6 crank legendary musket satisfying to use. I thought the crank mechanic would get on my nerves, but the reload time is actually pretty exhilarating when you're staring down a deathclaw having to juke it between shots. It's just the right mix of difficult to use and powerful when used right. I really need to find a legendary 2 shot musket.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Baron posted:

Your bandana hides the best part!!

every time you talk as the silver shroud your character is desperately trying not to make the biggest poo poo-eating grin imaginable

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

the reload time is actually pretty exhilarating

:ocelot:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Baron posted:

I broke character to intimidate the gently caress out of the bodyguards, saying 'Here's how this is going to go. I'm going to kill anybody who points a gun at me. Every. Last. One.'

Then Kent basically vanished right after I completed the quest so I could never get my shroud armor updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
There's a considerable part of me that suspects that they wrote in the whole kidnapping/missing persons thing to try and cover for all the NPCs that go missing.

It's a silly part of me that I only take with a grain of salt, but it exists and it's getting sort of loud about its beliefs.

• Locked thread