Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I seriously need to get a cam, people around here are getting stupider and stupider by the minute. After being out of work for a while I went in today to pay a visit and join in our Thanksgiving lunch. On my way to the office, at a 4 way stoplight, I saw a dipshit in an SUV decide that, instead of going straight, they wanted to get into the left turn lane 2 lanes over from them. Thankfully not much traffic but seeing them punch the gas, whip over and cross 2 lanes with no signal, then blow through a red arrow and almost clip the front of another car made my rear end in a top hat pucker.

Then on the way back home, a different stretch of road with 2 lanes each direction. A couple cars in front of me in the left lane, a couple cars in the right lane, one being a super slow minivan with some Hyundai riding on its rear end. Minivan goes to take a right turn (there's a right turn lane, mind you) and assbag in the Hyundai decides he doesn't want to slow down or wait 5 whole seconds for them to turn. No blinker, just cuts in front of me with maybe 3-4 feet to spare, and I was riding at least 2 car lengths behind another car. Honk, finger, curse, drive away, hope that his stupid retard rear end gets into a head on with a semi so he can't reproduce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Friends Cherokee once again

This time I got tailgated by a shiny Model S with some smug vanity plate who tried to pass me in a no passing zone and almost took it head on with a Wrangler

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sleepy.eyes posted:

My VW has DRLs, but the gauges won't light up unless the headlights are on. Makes sense; if its too dark to see the gauges its too dark to drive without your headlights.

:lol: if you think anyone who doesn't think to turn their headlights on when they get in the car is actually looking at the gauges, ever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The last time I blinked my high beams at someone driving without their lights on, they gave me the finger.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The only, ONLY time I have been successful in getting a night rider to turn on their headlights is when I'm in the ambulance and I can pull next to them at a stop light and flash the load lights/scene lights (bright-rear end white LED lights we use for working scenes, four sets on an ambo: left, right, rear ["load"] and front ["take down"]). Even then it usually takes us pointing to their headlights or something.

Even then 50/50 they flip us off and ride into the night.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Geirskogul posted:

The only, ONLY time I have been successful in getting a night rider to turn on their headlights is when I'm in the ambulance and I can pull next to them at a stop light and flash the load lights/scene lights (bright-rear end white LED lights we use for working scenes, four sets on an ambo: left, right, rear ["load"] and front ["take down"]). Even then it usually takes us pointing to their headlights or something.

Even then 50/50 they flip us off and ride into the night.

From the ride alongs I've done they've got police from dispatch and it ended with a DUI arrest :haw:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh, I've had the "we're bored so let's call in this DUI driver" nights. I work 1300-0100 so towards the end of shift where dispatch [sometimes] gives us a break, we'll look out for drunk drivers.

When we call it in, the 911 dispatcher usually tells us that we "don't have to follow the guy," because he/she's used to trying to persuade average joe from acting out his favorite Smokey and the Bandit chase fantasy. When we tell her that we're a bored crew in an ambulance, she reverses direction and actually has us follow the person instead, and puts us on a 3 or 4-way conference call with the local city (Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale/etc) officer and with the closest DPS officer. We'll follow and give updates to our location and the drunk driver's actions/speed/etc.

It's pretty awesome, because when you or I call in a drunk driver on our own they usually have to follow the guy for awhile to establish probable suspicion to pull them over. When it's another officer, a firefighter, or an ambulance crew, they instead don't bother with that poo poo and just swoop in front of us when they catch up and light them up immediately.

We do it maybe once every two weeks and, I'm telling you, the last time I got as erect as I do on those was during the honeymoon phase of the relationship with my fiancee 4 years ago.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

kastein posted:

:lol: if you think anyone who doesn't think to turn their headlights on when they get in the car is actually looking at the gauges, ever.
It's a 5km drive from here to downtown, there are 13 speed/red light cameras on that short drive.
They do look at their speedometer, because otherwise the man will send them fines for "doing 52 in a 50"... Yeah 52 after correction, so they were doing at least 55, and probably had the speedo well over 60. But you have to understand that those fines are really unfair. So yeah they will bitch that they have to look at the speedometer so much that it is hurting traffic safety.

Thankfully their dash is always lit up, so they have something to blame for driving at night without lights.

Slightly unrelated, but can't truckers read time? There is an overtaking prohibition for lorries and other crap with trailers on the motorway. Between 06:00 - 10:00 and 16:00 - 19:00, they can't overtake. However the last couple of weeks there hasn't been a day that some tosser didn't choose to ignore that and overtake another HGV with maybe 2kph speed difference.

Thanks for causing a massive back up. Just so you can go 84 instead of 82. It's not like the rest of us are allowed to do 130 and want to get home. gently caress off out of the left lane, 15 hours a day you can overtake, but no, you have to do it during the 9 hours in which it isn't allowed. Selfish oval office.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Geirskogul posted:

We do it maybe once every two weeks and, I'm telling you, the last time I got as erect as I do on those was during the honeymoon phase of the relationship with my fiancee 4 years ago.

Oh my.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sagebrush posted:

The last time I blinked my high beams at someone driving without their lights on, they gave me the finger.

Last night some assfuck with NY plates bumblefucked out into the left lane directly in front of me, going 15mph slower, and then utterly failed to accelerate or do anything resembling passing or even pulling even with the person they had been behind. After half a mile of their tomfoolery I flicked the high beams to wake them up and they responded by brake checking me and intentionally preventing me from passing (flooring it every time I got an opportunity to pass on the right, then braking and matching speed with the people in the other two lanes when I got back behind them) for several miles.

I wish it was legal to run assholes off the road. God drat, gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you for just being a douchebag for absolutely no reason.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 24, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kastein posted:

I wish it was legal to run assholes off the road. God drat, gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you for just being a douchebag for absolutely no reason.

I've always supported the idea that the passing lane should be treated sort of like desert racing, where if some slow rear end in a top hat is blocking traffic it's allowed to give them a bump or two to get them paying attention, and if they still don't respond you can shove through them.

Of course I was a lot more interested in being able to do that back when I had a Crown Vic that could actually do some shoving, I don't think my Fiesta would be so good at it...

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I've always fantasized about putting some WW2 hedgeclippers on a Bronco or something. Just give it the Mad Max treatment.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure this would work better. I'll take three, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djlLrKhyNrU

(the best part is the ACVW that just gets shunted aside and lands on its wheels like nothing happened due to its center of mass being so far back.)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'd like to thank the truck drivers on this evenings drive home for cruising along I-10 at 58mph, 4 wide. It's cool, nobody really wanted to get anywhere anyway, and we all understand how important you guys are, and everyone agrees that semi's belong in all the lanes, all the time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Almost forgot about the pro-level parking I saw at lunch today. It was so good that I saw two other people taking their phones out and snapping pictures of it.

Sorry for the bad angle that makes it hard to see just how far into the next spot he is, I didn't want to lose my spot in line. When I got there, another car was in that spot, and when that guy came out and saw this, he was pretty obviously pissed, the rear end end of this car was almost behind his car.

The 8' space between the bumper and the curb really makes it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Locator posted:

Almost forgot about the pro-level parking I saw at lunch today. It was so good that I saw two other people taking their phones out and snapping pictures of it.

Sorry for the bad angle that makes it hard to see just how far into the next spot he is, I didn't want to lose my spot in line. When I got there, another car was in that spot, and when that guy came out and saw this, he was pretty obviously pissed, the rear end end of this car was almost behind his car.

That's a Wal-Mart in the background, isn't it? That explains everything.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

Haha... yes it is, but that little strip mall it's parked at is mostly little restaurants.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

The Locator posted:

I once parked like that at a Walgreens. In San Francisco.

It was 430 in the morning on a Saturday, the parking lot was empty, and we just went in to get some fruit. Wasn't really that bad, anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

All 3 straps were dangling loose, and the pickup was almost off the truck. the front wheels were turned and the front of the truck was dangling off the trailer., and if they weren't, the pickup would probably have been on the ground.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I got stuck behind one of those oblivious chucklefucks who drive at 37mph everywhere yesterday morning. Fortunately they were so wrapped up in not paying attention to anything they didn't notice the speed limit change to 30 and blew straight through a speed camera. :laugh:

Of course the joke was on me because they panic braked down to ~20 and sat at that for the next 3 miles of 60 limit A road.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it has one of the most obnoxiously laid out parking lots I've ever had the misfortune of driving through... but it doesn't explain that loving hackjob, goddamn.

I almost had to call in a drunk driver on Thanksgiving, since he kept swerving into the oncoming lane on a two-lane highway, but he turned off long before I could read his plates.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

kastein posted:

After half a mile of their tomfoolery I flicked the high beams to wake them up and they responded by brake checking me and intentionally preventing me from passing (flooring it every time I got an opportunity to pass on the right, then braking and matching speed with the people in the other two lanes when I got back behind them) for several miles.

I don't even bother. If there's an empty lane available, I'll take it and blitz past the offending rear end in a top hat. If not, I'll hang back and wait until there's an opportunity to blitz pass said rear end in a top hat.

Flashing the lights only lets them know it's GAME ON. Blowing past them and cutting back into the passing lane at 10-15+ usually wakes them right up without giving them an opportunity to gently caress with you.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
If you have a map app just look at I-95 today. Sunday after Thanksgiving is the worst, wrecks all up and down the east coast in perfect weather.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
The stretch in Maine looks pretty clear.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Last night, on I-55 leaving Chicago, I passed a newer Buick in the right lane doing around 50 mph. The right rear tire was completely missing. I couldn't tell if there was a shred of rubber still hanging onto the bead, or if it just had aluminum wheels that weren't making a horrible noise somehow. I watched, and he exited the highway, hopefully to change his tire.

Today, I passed a car with a right rear wheel that wobbled about 20 degrees with each revolution.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know where else to triumphantly post this, but that accident I was in a month or so ago, they JUST got the police report and the other company accepted liability/fault. So my record remains clear of at-fault accidents for the past... decade? Decade and a half? I know I did some stupid poo poo around the turn of the century but I can't remember when it was. Not surprising that I wasn't at fault when she turned left in front of me, but her story to the insurance companies and my story didn't match (Hers was way more exciting, I wish I was half as cool as her version of me) but the police report was the clincher, settling all doubt.

I wish I could be surprised it took nearly a month for the police to fax a report over to an insurance company but I'm not.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
WHERE DOES DOGWALK KEEP COMING FROM?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is it wrong that, when I witnessed an accident, I sent a statement to the insurance company of the person who was not-at-fault, but I told the at-fault guy's insurance company I would and then never did (because they were asking questions that made it clear they were going to try to weasel anything I said)? I stayed around the scene and provided an official statement to the police as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is it evil to be evil to a greater evil?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had to yell at my Dad on a trip the other day when he saw the traffic jam at the top of an on-ramp and decided to start backing up. "It's fine, no one is coming!" Jesus Christ, I know my Dad is the person you share the road with, but I didn't know he was that bad.

Later I saw a Mustang cut off a brotruck and watched them go rocketing off into the distance only to come across them half an hour later when they both spun out and managed to involve 2 other cars in the crash.

An hour or so later someone got in an incredibly minor fender bender (I couldn't see anything worse than paint damage, quite a feat at highway speed I guess), and they just loving parked in the leftmost lane on the interstate. But wait, it gets better; the first idiot to stop and see if they needed help parked in the middle lane, so all the traffic had to squeeze by in the rightmost lane and shoulder.

At a toll station I was moving to the leftmost lane, and thank God I check my mirrors because some maniac in an SUV goes rocketing past me at about 70 in a 30 zone leading the the booths, because gently caress civil servants I guess.

Also saw some brotruck without its headlights on at night, but boy could I see it! The entire grill was surrounded by green LEDs, as were its headlights, tail-lights and hubcaps. I've seen those twice in the past month, are they a thing in South Florida now? They look sort of like Christmas light but in a flexible plastic tube.

All this was during one 4 hour drive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

snowbirds.jpg

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

sleepy.eyes posted:

All this was during one 4 hour drive.

sleepy.eyes posted:

South Florida

Sounds about right

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I passed a Jeep with green LEDs around its headlights the other day. I think the or headlights were on, but there was a pool of green light aimed a few feet in front of the truck. I assumed it was an Xmas thing, but could be a poor attempt at "night vision" for all I know.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

I passed a Jeep with green LEDs around its headlights the other day. I think the or headlights were on, but there was a pool of green light aimed a few feet in front of the truck. I assumed it was an Xmas thing, but could be a poor attempt at "night vision" for all I know.

This is the most horrible trend with brotrucks here, and if i was a cop i'd be busting heads with a nightstick.

What's worse is these dickheads always drive around in the dark with their headlights off so you can see their retarded LEDs so you're driving on a 2 lane road and suddenly have red lights coming torwards you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I wish the DOT would put a $20 bounty on turning in fuckwads with illegal ricemobile headlight mods, I'd be rich.

There was also the time I spotted a set of utter garbage ebay hidzzzzz at the junkyard on some riced-the-gently caress-out Ford. I took great pleasure in smashing them with a 9 iron we found in another nearby car.

PT6A posted:

Is it wrong that, when I witnessed an accident, I sent a statement to the insurance company of the person who was not-at-fault, but I told the at-fault guy's insurance company I would and then never did (because they were asking questions that made it clear they were going to try to weasel anything I said)? I stayed around the scene and provided an official statement to the police as well.

Not wrong at all, IMO. Don't give those pissminstrels a single word to bend to their requirements.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've been car shopping recently and saw an advert that made a point of photographing the different-toned led interior lights. Seriously they were all slightly different shades of blues and greens.

Oh and they made a point of mentioning the DPF delete and remap, which is illegal here.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Forgot one of the best sights from the trip! Some dude was patiently waiting in the two way center turn lane when an idiot trying to get into a parking lot about 2 car lengths behind them decides the best course of action would be to pull in about a foot from the other dude's hood so neither of them can go anywhere!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There is some guy in town with a black challenger with those led headlight surrounds in green, plus green racing stripes and some other poo poo. I see him all the time, just cruising around driving like an rear end in a top hat. Flooring it everywhere and trying to race people.

Cakefool posted:

Oh and they made a point of mentioning the DPF delete and remap, which is illegal here.

Technically that's illegal everywhere, even in states with no emissions testing or inspection. Not sure how that would ever be enforced though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jamal posted:

There is some guy in town with a black challenger with those led headlight surrounds in green, plus green racing stripes and some other poo poo. I see him all the time, just cruising around driving like an rear end in a top hat. Flooring it everywhere and trying to race people.

Technically that's illegal everywhere, even in states with no emissions testing or inspection. Not sure how that would ever be enforced though.

Up here in the land of the free :canada:, the federal government says it''s up to the provinces to enforce, and certain provinces don't give a gently caress. (hint: it's the good ones plus saskatchewan)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My morning commute is under 5 miles and before the sun is totally up. This morning, in heavy rain, I counted 4 cars driving without headlights. Then I had a guy driving on my bumper close enough I couldn't see his lights. Then another guy decided to go straight through the turn lane next to me. We both pulled away from a stoplight and he never turned. He just finally slowed up to merge back when we got to the line of parked cars. And finally I passed an accident of 3 cars that somehow collided at the end of an off ramp and blocked 5 out of 6 lanes of the road there. And that's without going through any of the awfully designed intersections.