Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Making grids like that broken up with angled streets, and then odd angled grids coming off them is one of the best ways to make hellish suburbscapes in this game if that's your sort of thing, works really well with the UK terraced houses or something equally as dreary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Consist posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if this is what most people's first city looks like. Just grids intersecting grids at horrible angles with the odd street just not perpendicular to anything.
I intentionally do that in all my cities.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Consist posted:

Meanwhile my neighborhood in Los Angeles was clearly designed by someone who didn't have the Precision Engineering mod installed.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is what most people's first city looks like. Just grids intersecting grids at horrible angles with the odd street just not perpendicular to anything.

Why are there two 43rd streets :psyduck:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

One's a street and one's a...place? What's so difficult about it? :v:

Also those streets don't line up to the right, where there's a mysterious break up in the pattern. So to keep on your street you have to make turns.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weird angles are usually the result of following contours in the terrain or towns growing into each other. If one of the roads is a really old major route, like an old trail or something, that tends to mess up the grid too. Grids just kind of sprout off of it and then they merge together and it all turns to poo poo.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

I've had the game for a while but I finally started playing it, mostly because I'm hoping After Dark is on sale for Black Friday. I ended up staying up all night working on my city and I can safely say it's a complete clusterfuck. :v: Towards the end I figured out how to make ramps and elevated roads and overpasses, but it looks like some architect got drunk and slapped everything together.

Dead people are everywhere, everyone downtown won't stop complaining about the noise, my landfills keep filling up and I don't know if the incinerators are working properly, and the industrial zones keep being abandoned because there's not enough workers. Even though I think it's time for me to start over with what I've learned, I'm having a blast. I definitely want to get After Dark now to play around with nightclubs/tourist zones, but does anyone have any suggestions I should keep in mind in the future? I really like these circle cities I keep seeing, but I just end up putting everything into grids because it seems to be the most efficient way to zone.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In Dallas there are three grids,

1, old downtown, is where the original river crossing was, just south of the three forks of the trinity river meeting. the first bridge(s) were built here and the grid is perpendicular to that bridge/main street. This went from about 1850-1904. original buildings on this grid are oldest in the county.

2, newer downtown, at some point people realized the grid should be NE/SW aligned instead of aligned with the river, and they continued on this new alignment from ~1904-1930. other than old buildings being torn down to make up mc mansions, most buildings here are 1920s. Everything here is aligned based on Ross avenue, which dead ends in to....

3, the suburbs proper, a bunch of WW2 vets moved in to the city and they once again decided to change the grid alignments. the rest of the metroplex roughly follows this grid, but we don't have a numbered street system. most buildings on this grid are 1960s-early 1990s, and on the very fringe of the metroplex you have buildings built in the last 15 years. At the end of ross avenue is Greenville Ave, everyhing built post 1930 is built along the Greenville Ave alignment.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 25, 2015

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Turbo roundabouts are good and I wish the Tokyo metropolitan government would pull its head out of its own rear end and replace all of the dumb intersections.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Minneapolis put one of these in to connect their second airport terminal to the freeway except they decided to go the extra mile by putting a light rail line in the middle of it all too. Approaching it was a total :psyduck: moment but it seemed to work fairly well.

As far as multiple angled grids all smashed into each other Seattle's core ended up with three main ones at different angles because three of the guys who helped found the city couldn't have a beer and compromise. Thanks Denny, Maynard, and Yesler. I suppose that's modern American urban planning in a nutshell, just a big clusterfuck of NIMBY and FYGM causing various small to medium sized traffic apocalypses. Either way I still do it with my cities because it looks more real even though the real life reason for it is often flawed.

On that note: http://www.highways.org/2015/11/unclogging-study2015/ (direct link to PDF) GG LA

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 25, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Badger of Basra posted:

Check out Queens.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bold Robot posted:

Check out Queens.

I mean why even have the streets numbered if you're just gonna have em in any old order?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Hell, I like making conflicting grids, because:
1) they break up the monotony
2) it makes for interesting decisions where the grids clash.
3) if I need to build something that's larger than, say, 8 squares, there'll be at least somewhere to put it that's not going to break the overriding pattern and trigger off my :spergin:.

Usually I'll take the cue from riverside boulevards or other terrain features what alignment to use.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you could just..... not use grids??

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

BBJoey posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to grids :unsmigghh:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
For those who like to do lots of grids, sometimes I do very tight grids for lots of 1x1 and 2x2 buildings clustered together. As a tip, interchange the intersections so it's not intersection hell along a single road. So you have a main road that feeds into a bunch of dead end roads. But what I like to do to reduce car traffic is connect those roads by pedestrian walkways. I get tons of foot traffic this way. And since I mix and match residential with office and commercial in those areas, I get a lot of walkers versus drivers.

...I guess that's not a huge tip. Just something I noticed helps alleviate traffic a lot.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

BBJoey posted:

Vigorously refusing to use grids ends up with as unrealistic looking a city as only using grids, imo

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Was the SNES version of Simcity the only one that came with scenarios? With what the developers have built with this game it'd be kinda cool if Skylines2 could have (or offer through map mods) a sort of scenario gameplay option where you have to a fix an existing piece of transit infrastructure within limited funds, time, real estate, and who knows what else that you can either accept or try to Machiavelli into something better.

Example: The new State Route 520 bridge has been completed and from the freeway's start in the suburbs, to across Lake Washington, to the shores of Seattle the entire freeway is a testament to modern transit design. However no one thought about or wanted to pay for the last mile that connects the new spectacular bridge to the US Interstate Highway 5 that represents the new state route's terminus. You have a new 6 lane freeway trying to connect perpendicularly to an 8 lane freeway using a single mile of interconnecting, deteriorating roadway consisting of four lanes that is also a causeway bridge over a small bay. All of the surrounding land is privately owned, you'll need to find a way to make this work.

Your starting budget is $1 billion, an election cycle is coming, the existing 4 lane connector will structurally fail in 15 years, eminent domain is a short term solution that may get you the road you want but will also result in citizen driven voting initiatives and lawsuits that will cripple the funding of the transit department during construction.

GOAL: Replace or reconfigure this interchange and have your solution work effectively for 30 in-game years. And no matter what you come up with and how frugal or logical you are a lot of people will still personally hate you. Good luck.

I think I just suggested a 4x strategy transit simulator :psyduck:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Was the SNES version of Simcity the only one that came with scenarios? With what the developers have built with this game it'd be kinda cool if Skylines2 could have (or offer through map mods) a sort of scenario gameplay option where you have to a fix an existing piece of transit infrastructure within limited funds, time, real estate, and who knows what else that you can either accept or try to Machiavelli into something better.

Example: The new State Route 520 bridge has been completed and from the freeway's start in the suburbs, to across Lake Washington, to the shores of Seattle the entire freeway is a testament to modern transit design. However no one thought about or wanted to pay for the last mile that connects the new spectacular bridge to the US Interstate Highway 5 that represents the new state route's terminus. You have a new 6 lane freeway trying to connect perpendicularly to an 8 lane freeway using a single mile of interconnecting, deteriorating roadway consisting of four lanes that is also a causeway bridge over a small bay. All of the surrounding land is privately owned, you'll need to find a way to make this work.

Your starting budget is $1 billion, an election cycle is coming, the existing 4 lane connector will structurally fail in 15 years, eminent domain is a short term solution that may get you the road you want but will also result in citizen driven voting initiatives and lawsuits that will cripple the funding of the transit department during construction.

GOAL: Replace or reconfigure this interchange and have your solution work effectively for 30 in-game years. And no matter what you come up with and how frugal or logical you are a lot of people will still personally hate you. Good luck.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I got this. This is easy.

Good To Go passes... everywhere.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Re:grids
http://www.speedrun.com/run/pzgx11em

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 25, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Skylines got functional leaderboard before simcity.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Check out Queens.

52nd Ave
52nd Rd
52nd Dr
52nd Ct

loving love it.

I think the problem with the NY area is that while Manhattan was well designed by the Dutch, primary planning was just at the tip of the island. Broadway originally was the fastest (and primary) route up and down the island, which is why it meanders through the other very rigid grid on the island.

Roads like Grand Ave were major thoroughfares that followed the lay of the land through the farmland, and rural farms would connect to that pathway. Over time immovable infrastructure grew up along those pathways, before the urban planners could determine how the urban grid would expand out.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Consist posted:

Meanwhile my neighborhood in Los Angeles was clearly designed by someone who didn't have the Precision Engineering mod installed.

How much of that is just not having a ruler and/or a shaky hand, and LA (like most large US cities) being built in a swamp, so it's hardly surprising if the roads slide around a bit after having been laid down… :D

Splash Attack posted:

I've had the game for a while but I finally started playing it, mostly because I'm hoping After Dark is on sale for Black Friday. I ended up staying up all night working on my city and I can safely say it's a complete clusterfuck. :v: Towards the end I figured out how to make ramps and elevated roads and overpasses, but it looks like some architect got drunk and slapped everything together.

Dead people are everywhere, everyone downtown won't stop complaining about the noise, my landfills keep filling up and I don't know if the incinerators are working properly, and the industrial zones keep being abandoned because there's not enough workers. Even though I think it's time for me to start over with what I've learned, I'm having a blast. I definitely want to get After Dark now to play around with nightclubs/tourist zones, but does anyone have any suggestions I should keep in mind in the future? I really like these circle cities I keep seeing, but I just end up putting everything into grids because it seems to be the most efficient way to zone.
It's efficient for zones, yes, but paradoxically, it's not always efficient for traffic and it's traffic that actually counts for the overall efficiency of your city. Figuring out where and when to use which roads is the big “a-ha” moment of the game (such as figuring out that 6-lane one-way roads are almost completely useless) and this includes getting a feel for exactly how often each type of road should see an intersection without causing all kinds of gridlock.

The one thing that grids are particularly susceptible to is that they can create “clever shortcuts” that bypass your carefully constructed high-volume thoroughfares and instead make 4e29 trucks an hour try to drive through your (no longer) quiet narrow-street suburban area. And since the stock AI has no conception of open roads vs. queues, they will keep jamming themselves onto that one pile. That's why policies such as heavy traffic ban and old town are so crucial: they remove this choice from the AI and keep everyone on the main roads. Similarly, designing areas with only one entry and exit point means that only traffic that is actually bound for that area will enter it — no-one else will gain anything by going there so they don't. This keeps the roads clear and let service vehicles flow in and out more easily.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

ExtraNoise posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I got this. This is easy.

Good To Go passes... everywhere.

If we're going the 4X single player campaign route then Orions' Sound Transit really needs to happen before the Antarens' Good To Go scheme.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Fabulousity posted:

I'd play the heck out of this, and it would be possible to do with a save game created up to that point and then put on the workshop

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fabulousity posted:

Was the SNES version of Simcity the only one that came with scenarios?

SimCity 2000 (at least DOS, Mac and Windows versions) also had scenarios. They were mostly of the type "city is being hit by natural disaster, recover from it". Though at least one was "this city is all slum and getting abandoned, bounce back".

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

nielsm posted:

SimCity 2000 (at least DOS, Mac and Windows versions) also had scenarios. They were mostly of the type "city is being hit by natural disaster, recover from it". Though at least one was "this city is all slum and getting abandoned, bounce back".
Flint, Michigan! (It never bounced back in real life...)

A mid-scale sim where you have to design and manage a large transit project (whether it's a new freeway or subway or whatever) taking into account the various aspects include budget and, ahem, political concerns would be pretty interesting. It might be hard to pull off, though.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 25, 2015

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Ploppable rocks are so good and add so much to landscaping possibilities. Gotta spend hours landscaping my hilly regions now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Makes it look like a Farcry map. :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

xzzy posted:

Makes it look like a Farcry map. :v:

I want to live in the alternate universe where where a Tropico sequel exports directly into Farcry maps. Give me weird asymmetrical open world games where one or more players are manipulating the world from outside the map as a "gamemaster" faction.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

deadly_pudding posted:

I want to live in the alternate universe where where a Tropico sequel exports directly into Farcry maps. Give me weird asymmetrical open world games where one or more players are manipulating the world from outside the map as a "gamemaster" faction.

Streets of Sim City was such a good idea with such a bad implementation, but this is also my dream whenever I hit first-person mode for a random commuter

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Streets of Sim City was such a good idea with such a bad implementation, but this is also my dream whenever I hit first-person mode for a random commuter

I know that feel. I played absolutely excessive amounts of Sim Copter as a kid. I really loved tooling around in that hideously-rendered city, doing randomly generated activities. I always made crazy cities for myself in the Urban Renewal Kit, like built around Arcologies and stuff.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

deadly_pudding posted:

I know that feel. I played absolutely excessive amounts of Sim Copter as a kid. I really loved tooling around in that hideously-rendered city, doing randomly generated activities. I always made crazy cities for myself in the Urban Renewal Kit, like built around Arcologies and stuff.

You were not the only one (I wasn't even a kid!). I also would still do it if it was possible in Skylines.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
:catstare:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Congratulations, you created Copenhagen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Why settle fore Farcry when you can hope for Just Cause instead?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I was playing with this mod this evening. I was hoping I'd be able to zoom out a bit more with the isometric mod enabled, but you still have to be pretty close. Still, it's really pretty.

Groly
Nov 4, 2009

Fabulousity posted:

Was the SNES version of Simcity the only one that came with scenarios?

nielsm posted:

The original SimCity also had a bunch of scenarios (usually six or eight); most were focused on recovering from specific disasters (e.g. the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, flooding in Rio, or a nuclear plant meltdown in Boston), while the others dealt with more general problems (e.g. traffic in Bern, crime in Detroit, or building up "Dullsville"). Different ports could come with different scenarios; the Amiga port had a scenario with UFOs attacking Las Vegas, but the PC port didn't.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I had an island on my map that I enlarged with the terraform tool but now part of the island has the sandy texture, is there a way to change this texture to the normal grass from ingame?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Le0 posted:

So I had an island on my map that I enlarged with the terraform tool but now part of the island has the sandy texture, is there a way to change this texture to the normal grass from ingame?

Right click with the terraform sand tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

Not everything.

Melbourne kinda has something like this but with its CBD, weirdly enough.