Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Efexeye posted:

What difficulty did you play on?

The hardest, from the start. I think because of the changes to combat (where it doesn't exist), ECO levels gone, lack of factions, and not having to worry about pirates, or bad fertilities, the game is quite easy now. On harder difficulties it takes longer to get supply chains rolling, but it isn't fundamentally harder at all.

Zaphod42 posted:

This is the biggest flaw with 2205 IMO.

I'm still having fun though and looking forward to the DLC personally.

I'm hoping DLC can fix some of the issues (terrible think to say, to pay more to fix a broken game) but 2205 is very shallow compared to 2070 Deep Ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
They should really add seed map generation in a DLC, I'd pay for that for sure. No telling if they will though, probably not I guess.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just because it's easier and simpler/more streamlined, doesn't mean it's broken. I love it for the same reasons you don't. Your stance is subjective.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's completely trivial to make a polymer factory and cover the island completely in buildings, trading for more building materials in the zone as you need them. There's no challenge or any decisions really, simply make a few rice and fruit fields and import all the rejuvs from the world market, build appropriate need buildings, and your income will be pegged at max for the entire game, even before you open up the arctic

This works flawlessly on hard and thanks to not needing to build ships for trade routes and a shared inventory, there's no downsides to just covering the map and unlocking all the islands before even doing the storyline beyond the first dam.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 20, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
If you didn't finish the Anno survey because it was too slow, it's much faster now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Yes, if you deliberately delay the storyline until you max all your resources/supply chains, it'll be easier :D

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just because it's easier and simpler/more streamlined, doesn't mean it's broken. I love it for the same reasons you don't. Your stance is subjective.

The stuff I thought I missed when I first started playing- mainly micro managing supply chains at individual warehouses and building a fleet- is what I ended up really liking. It is a very different game than 2070, but they didn't like, close down the 2070 servers or anything. It's still there too

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 20, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it doesn't seem like something you should be able to do, is all.

In the previous games it was prevented by the difficulty of having to pay resources to expand to other islands, plus time delay, and a real limitation of being able to supply enough materials from a different island to supply your main population one.

With everything shared and you starting with the funds and availablility to buy 100% of needed materials, that's no longer the case so of course I built like a developer in a boom economy and quickly expanded to the center island! The trade guy starts out with something like 100 bots and polymers and they quickly refill.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I generally try to avoid strategies that are broken in games I paid $60 for. You can easily game the trade route system to save a lot of credits too.There's no 'wrong' way to play, though- I'd just rather work with the game than exploit it

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Zaphod42 posted:

This is the biggest flaw with 2205 IMO.

Is biggest flaw is a release date that was too close to Battlefronts.

I can't keep up wine production any more, had to start importing. Annoins, Annoites? drink too drat much...and use way too many cybernetic eyeballs for that matter.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well yeah, you can always handicap yourself and deliberately not do what you might consider an overpowered strategy.

But in a game about micromanagement and logistics you can't be surprised when players take the obvious and workable solution, there should have been a balance pass that caught and mitigated it, and early! It's a flaw in game design, IMO.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Selling everything you need on the market dirt cheap from the get-go is...an interesting design choice

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Lorini posted:

Has anyone made it to a million people yet? I'm only at 300K, a long ways to go.

I made it 1.3M but then couldn't be bothered anymore: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726406&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post452466841
Still looking forward to the DLCs though.

Vodos fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 20, 2015

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Bhodi posted:

it doesn't seem like something you should be able to do, is all.

In the previous games it was prevented by the difficulty of having to pay resources to expand to other islands, plus time delay, and a real limitation of being able to supply enough materials from a different island to supply your main population one.

With everything shared and you starting with the funds and availablility to buy 100% of needed materials, that's no longer the case so of course I built like a developer in a boom economy and quickly expanded to the center island! The trade guy starts out with something like 100 bots and polymers and they quickly refill.

Pretty much this. On harder difficulties in 2070 especially you had so many obstacles that you were forced to min/max. 2205 is a simplified experience, no matter how you look at it, IMO. I guess I don't like it because that's never why I played Anno at all, 1404 and 2070 was rewarding precisely because they were extremely complex economic/military simulators, and I find 2205 to be neither.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

All the marketing says 'Thousands of hours of gameplay' so hopefully they fix the market to make stuff 4x as expensive or something

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I could pour 50 hours pretty easily into a single 2070 seed, I think I beat the 2205 campaign on hard in under 10 hours, and I'm not sure what to do now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Kimsemus posted:

I could pour 50 hours pretty easily into a single 2070 seed, I think I beat the 2205 campaign on hard in under 10 hours, and I'm not sure what to do now.

Play without the market :) Artificial, sure, but you asked!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Efexeye posted:

Play without the market :) Artificial, sure, but you asked!

Believe it or not, I never used the market as it stands, I didn't really see it as an option until I was almost done.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Well yeah, you can always handicap yourself and deliberately not do what you might consider an overpowered strategy.

But in a game about micromanagement and logistics you can't be surprised when players take the obvious and workable solution, there should have been a balance pass that caught and mitigated it, and early! It's a flaw in game design, IMO.

Anything above easy difficulty is handicapping yourself.

The entire game is an artificial construction.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted. Namaste.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Consider: Games do not exist

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Kimsemus posted:

You continue to build your cities just as you would in the other games. I don't even see the "campaign" as a true campaign, just goals to work towards. If anything that would be the biggest flaw that they made in this game, that you are basically just completing the same objectives each time you start over but in reality it's not much different than the other games. You worked towards different goals but at the end of the day you were still building the same production chains over and over again. I don't see much of a difference here.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

SuicideSnowman posted:

You continue to build your cities just as you would in the other games. I don't even see the "campaign" as a true campaign, just goals to work towards. If anything that would be the biggest flaw that they made in this game, that you are basically just completing the same objectives each time you start over but in reality it's not much different than the other games. You worked towards different goals but at the end of the day you were still building the same production chains over and over again. I don't see much of a difference here.

Well, let's see, in 2070:

1) Different map seeds with different island/map size
2) Different eco balances/detractors
3) 3 factions
4) Varied AI
5) Varied 3rd parties
6) Diplomacy/military
7) Complex trade route setup
8) Research
9) ARK persistence
10) Upgrade system
11) Varied victory conditions
12) Multiplayer support on maps
13) Single faction Co-Op
14) Licensing system
15) About 25 game altering settings
-etc-

But other than those gigantic things, not much difference? :confuoot:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I prefer 2205 because it's simpler :shrug:

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Kimsemus posted:

Well, let's see, in 2070:

1) Different map seeds with different island/map size
2) Different eco balances/detractors
3) 3 factions
4) Varied AI
5) Varied 3rd parties
6) Diplomacy/military
7) Complex trade route setup
8) Research
9) ARK persistence
10) Upgrade system
11) Varied victory conditions
12) Multiplayer support on maps
13) Single faction Co-Op
14) Licensing system
15) About 25 game altering settings
-etc-

But other than those gigantic things, not much difference? :confuoot:

About 75% of this list hardly constitutes as "gigantic" things.

The major difference obviously is the lack of AI. The lack of map seeds I already addressed. It's great that you can start with some pseudo random island, but at the end of the day it's not changing the game at all.

3 factions. What exactly do you call the arctic & moon zones? They are essentially the same thing. Different buildings that have different requirements. You're just playing them all at the same time, which you aren't necessarily forced to do in 2070.

Diplomacy doesn't exist because there isn't AI. There's still combat, and honestly the combat in ANNO games is garbage and largely ignored by most people that play the game. Making it optional was the best decision they made.

Research is basically replaced by the module system. I mean, you used research to build upgrades to your buildings.

Your list is mostly just a list of minor poo poo that does little to change the core gameplay.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

There was a whole thing Will Wright said about videogames, "most games you play the game, like how you play a sport or play a song on an instrument. But with like action figures, you play with them. There's no set rules or game, you just come up with whatever creative things you want."

yeah this is the difference between a game and a toy but in the word videogame is the word game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What about ARK Persistence/Upgrade system/Licensing system actually makes them substantially different/more gameplay than their replacements, the Corporation and Modules, other than the fact that they allow you to shortcut to the mid-game of Endless mode.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
The corporation HQ costs are certainly something. Going to be a while before I manage to fill all the module slots. Wish I hadnt built it in Wallbruck basin now. If only we could use transfer routes for workers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Game's pretty, moon rules

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I never bothered to check; is it possible to break even on moon colonies? i.e, do the taxes cover the costs of the goods required to support the people? I've been thinking about building a huge moon city in that tourism crater, but I don't know if my income can support that and the huge corporate HQ I've got going.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, taxes are too low on the moon to ever break even - the basic buildings won't even fund a repair centre, let alone basic necessities. The moon is essentially just a place where you dump cash until electricity comes out.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Granted, an unreal amount of electricity comes out. I don't think I have a single powerplant remaining in the temperate zone, and my Arctic zones each have a single Thermal generator around which most of the first housing was built. I've been playing this save on and off for awhile, whittling away at the various sector projects. Corp level 87, 767k population. Each of the Temperate sectors has large city areas with some Operators but mostly Executives (I still think of these as "Engineers" somehow) and Investors, as well as other limited-service housing areas I think of as the "Operator Zoo" and "Worker Slum."

I'm spending a little over eighty-three grand on maintaining internal trade routes and producing everything with the exception of wine and beef myself, for those I pay a little over thirty-two grand to maintain a small surplus in Cape Ambar, my starting sector and where all Luxury Meal production takes place. I've finished all but the Lunar refugee sector project and the "totally-safe-iceberg-demolition" project, which I'm bouncing back and forth between now. I definitely find that I'm being limited in Lunar development by supplies of Magnetite, but not hamstrung. Generally speaking I can flip through moon sectors to find a quest that has it as a reward, buy whatever Lunar Refugee Insurgency Incorporated has up for sale, and click on the mines in the triple-crater map to get what I need taken care of, but without too much surplus. Military level 6, so I haven't needed to do more than a few combat missions in order to chase upgrade resources.

I really like to play this game, to the point that I feel like there's something wrong inside of me. After I break 1 million population and complete these two projects, I may even start an additional hard corp (this is, uh, my third) and see what happens when one imports everything and just paves a whole sector in grid hell. Send help.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LonsomeSon posted:

I really like to play this game, to the point that I feel like there's something wrong inside of me.

New thread title please

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm at about half a million with a level 11 military and I can't stop playing, either. Hopefully the expansion comes out soon because I'm probably going to finish all the sector projects some time this week.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

New deets on Tundra: http://blog.ubi.com/anno-2205-dlc-tundra-expansion/

Also wow, looks like Tundra and Orbit are both separate expansions: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...2b268d189e7362f

Sheesh

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Efexeye posted:

New deets on Tundra: http://blog.ubi.com/anno-2205-dlc-tundra-expansion/

Also wow, looks like Tundra and Orbit are both separate expansions: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...2b268d189e7362f

Sheesh

Abandoned underwater cities? I'd play an Anno game that takes place completely underwater.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

Abandoned underwater cities? I'd play an Anno game that takes place completely underwater.

Ditto. Seriously, I would like that new 2205 content to come out yesterday please.

Also, it seems the amount you buy new sectors for depends on your competition. Your competition slowly grows, which means what level of a corporation they'll talk about for another region grows, which means they'll ask for more money. And while there does seem to be some similarities between games (I've started three, so sue me) the corporations don't seem to always level up at the same rate/speed every single game so their can be a bit of mixing in levels.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Ditto. Seriously, I would like that new 2205 content to come out yesterday please.

Just making sure you're aware since I can't tell from your post, but there is no underwater content. Apparently the/one of the Tundra sector questlines is finding out why underwater cities (presumably meaning the stuff from 2070) were abandoned.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

Just making sure you're aware since I can't tell from your post, but there is no underwater content. Apparently the/one of the Tundra sector questlines is finding out why underwater cities (presumably meaning the stuff from 2070) were abandoned.

Oh, I was both agreeing with you, and wanting more 2205 content.

And yeah, while an entirely underwater sector would be cool (2070 kinda cheated by only having really cool looking industry under water, the Tech houses were entirely on land), the new sector's probably just gonna have a big ol' project. But since the sector projects are cool, I'm not exactly upset.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Cythereal posted:

According to the announcement, the underwater stuff is actually the sector project for a new Temperate sector which is free DLC in January - the paid Tundra DLC is another thing which is coming in February.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

You gotta figure that underwater will be another piece of DLC at some point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

At the in-game rate the environment is going 3033 is going to be set almost entirely underwater, with the lowest quality houses being floating shanties centered around a combined community centre/food source that is a body recycling pit. Richard Northburgh will play the only NPC in the game, 'The Mariner', who just shows up every now and then to trade the rare commodity of dirt with you.

• Locked thread