Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Well, whatever the gently caress you do, don't try and change the topic back to absolutely loving mind bendingly good cosplays by posting a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Well, sorry for changing my mind about contributing to a derail, I guess.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

HardDisk posted:

Well, sorry for changing my mind about contributing to a derail, I guess.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

VendaGoat posted:

Well, whatever the gently caress you do, don't try and change the topic back to absolutely loving mind bendingly good cosplays by posting a picture.

Emperor's Champion? I'd love to see the Iron Halo, but I certainly can't complain about the costume.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

Emperor's Champion? I'd love to see the Iron Halo, but I certainly can't complain about the costume.

That's the one. Fabricator Djinn Costume

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Colonial Air Force posted:

Also, the sword's blade should be black with "IMPERATOR REX" carved on it. Cuz that's what makes the Emperor's Champion the Emperor's Champion, the Black Sword.

:goonsay:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

I feel like he should be giving us a "thumbs up" here.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Elastic Girl is great.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
X-posting from the cosplay build thread!

You guys YOU GUYS I finished Frostmourne!!

So I don't have any super great pictures with the costume but I'm too excited not to post. The sword has a magnet sensor in the grip so it turns on in sequence when I pick it up and turns off when I let it go. I love it so much. There are a few very minor tweaks I'd like to do on Frostmourne before I take Arthas out again but in general I am so excited to be done for real with this costume, oh my god.

Links to videos of it in action:
Me holding/passing the sword
Closeup of the lights

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Holy poo poo that turned out cooler (heh) than I expected.

I feel it needs more blue LEDs in the helmet though. :colbert:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
That is pretty flippin' awesome McPantserton! Great work :D

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

HardDisk posted:

Holy poo poo that turned out cooler (heh) than I expected.

I feel it needs more blue LEDs in the helmet though. :colbert:

So this thread totally called it but they hurt my eyes :shobon: I have blacklight reactive contacts in and there are uv leds in the helmet but they suck to have on and the costume is already pretty tough to wear (IRONICALLY SWEALTERING). I am fine with my pimped out Frostmourne. Oh and to clarify: I didn't program or solder the lights, my friend helped me out but I built the majority of the actual sword besides the labor I forced my husband into haha.

And also thanks guys :D I'm really proud of the whole setup, I had to build it before the lights were assembled so there was a lottt of guesswork and I feel like I had some ambitious and pretty creative ideas that panned out really well. The positive feedback means a lot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

McPantserton posted:

You guys YOU GUYS I finished Frostmourne!!

The sword (and indeed, the entire costume) are awesome. Congratulations on finishing!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McPantserton posted:

The sword has a magnet sensor in the grip so it turns on in sequence when I pick it up and turns off when I let it go. I love it so much.

That's loving insane, I hope everyone at the con loses their poo poo over it

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

This is so loving cool!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

McPantserton posted:

So this thread totally called it but they hurt my eyes :shobon: I have blacklight reactive contacts in and there are uv leds in the helmet but they suck to have on and the costume is already pretty tough to wear

That sucks. :(

Space Kablooey has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Nov 23, 2015

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Yayyy thanks guys, still kinda can't believe how well it all went.

HardDisk posted:

That sucks. :(

I'm kind of OK with it. If I get into any contests with really big cash prizes I'll probably revisit the helmet lights and try to make it less irritating, but at this point Arthas has been a roughly 7 month endeavor and I think I probably spent in the range of $700-800 on the whole thing so I'm just happy to have it done so I can actually play Fallout 4. Although Frostmourne clocked in way, way cheaper than I'd expected! I had a ton of the materials already, I spent less than $100 on new components including the lights and controller board. :woop:

Slightly less crappy hall shot, I will post some actual outdoor ice/snow photos once I get to do a shoot!

Magile
May 20, 2008

McPantserton posted:

Awesome Costume Stuff

I was curious as to how heavy the whole costume is? I mean, it looks very, VERY ornate and layered, but I'm not overly creative so I don't have an eye for these things.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Magile posted:

I was curious as to how heavy the whole costume is? I mean, it looks very, VERY ornate and layered, but I'm not overly creative so I don't have an eye for these things.

It's not too bad. The entire thing is built out of sheets of craft foam and foam yoga mats with plastic layered on top (for the flatter base parts) and carved pink insulation foam (spikes) or a combo of paperclay and apoxie sculpt clay (skulls) also covered in plastic. So the plastic itself can get heavy but I tried to save weight wherever possible. I'm sore as hell after wearing it but plastic armor usually means holding your body a bit oddly and not having the same range of motion (dammit, giant skull shoulder) so I expected that. The worst thing about this costume is that it is really, really hot to wear, which is going to make all my Wisconsin winter photoshoots awesome for a change.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Nicely done McPantserton!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

It's not too bad. The entire thing is built out of sheets of craft foam and foam yoga mats with plastic layered on top (for the flatter base parts) and carved pink insulation foam (spikes) or a combo of paperclay and apoxie sculpt clay (skulls) also covered in plastic. So the plastic itself can get heavy but I tried to save weight wherever possible. I'm sore as hell after wearing it but plastic armor usually means holding your body a bit oddly and not having the same range of motion (dammit, giant skull shoulder) so I expected that. The worst thing about this costume is that it is really, really hot to wear, which is going to make all my Wisconsin winter photoshoots awesome for a change.

and for your warm months.

http://www.amazon.com/TECHKEWL-Phase-Change-Cooling-Vest/dp/B0002EWKTS

Had a few people tell me these are life savers for the costuming world.

Edit: Oh and again, loving eh awesome work!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That's an awesome lo- holy poo poo, what is up with those creepy dolls behind you?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Davros1 posted:

That's an awesome lo- holy poo poo, what is up with those creepy dolls behind you?

Crow confirmed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Don't trust the lich in apartment 23!

(Sorry.)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Jedit posted:

Don't trust the lich in apartment 23!

(Sorry.)

Pfft, liches get Stitches.

...ok technically lichs get Patchwerks but close enough?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

It's like Dame Judi Dench as Lord Arthas. I love it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Davros1 posted:

I take it you've never been in a crafts store in the fall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Davros1 posted:

:confused: You mean the scarecrow looking things?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Baymax, what have they done to you!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:stare:
That is amazing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
And from the best episode!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My first concern was whether if that's a dickbutt on the left breast.

I must take a break off the Internet.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

kalstrams posted:

My first concern was whether if that's a dickbutt on the left breast.

I must take a break off the Internet.

Well, it wouldn't be unprecedented.

(look at the text on the guitar)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Francois!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

VendaGoat posted:

and for your warm months.

http://www.amazon.com/TECHKEWL-Phase-Change-Cooling-Vest/dp/B0002EWKTS

Had a few people tell me these are life savers for the costuming world.

Edit: Oh and again, loving eh awesome work!

Depending on whether you could find a place to hide (and wanted to carry the weight) the cooling pack/batteries, race car drivers use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Shirt-CW...cing+cool+shirt

• Locked thread