Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Raserys posted:

If anyone here is in the After the End dev team, please add more nomads on the great plains, it doesn't even have to be the Lakotah, just add Platte, Iowa, and Kickatus

Also, Alaska when, tia

I'd be able to add Alaska and Newfoundland really easily if we didn't use Mercator map projection :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

McGavin posted:

Since Groogy's posting in here I might as well ask: could you make it so that the titular titles of religious heads are not counted for the "theocracies can only have one highest level title" rule?

It would be cool if I could give the Coptic Pope or a reformed Pagan High Priest a duchy, but I can't because of their duke-level titular title. I have no problem making them counts or kings (if I'm an emperor), but I can't make them dukes and it's dumb as hell.

I think there are some deep level dark magic issues with that though in the code. The religious head code is really something to avoid touching because half the game is based on it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Groogy posted:

I think there are some deep level dark magic issues with that though in the code. The religious head code is really something to avoid touching because half the game is based on it.

I figured as much because it's not modable by mere mortals. Would it be possible to let theocracies have two of the same level titles? I know that the limit was introduced to prevent powergaming, but theocracies are already limited to 10% of realm size, so the title restrictions seem a tad excessive.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Ofaloaf posted:

A Paradox poster asked for "wincest" last year and I was already adverse to the idea before he phrased things that way. A lot of AtE worldbuilding is based off stereotypes (Southern aristocrats, Lovecraftian cultists in New England, etc.), but I've been very keen on not using out-and-out negative stereotypes for anything.

I figure if you add Zorastrian incest to the mod, it should be an Occultist thing - weird twisted families works well as a Lovecraftian homage, and the increased chance of Lunatic works well for them too.

I agree, adding it for the deep south or Appalachia would just be lazy stereotyping.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

McGavin posted:

I figured as much because it's not modable by mere mortals. Would it be possible to let theocracies have two of the same level titles? I know that the limit was introduced to prevent powergaming, but theocracies are already limited to 10% of realm size, so the title restrictions seem a tad excessive.

What bothers me is that we can't give kingdom titles to vassals of another government type.

That rule makes no sense so I will use the console to make all the kingdom level republics and theocracies I want :colbert:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Elias_Maluco posted:

What bothers me is that we can't give kingdom titles to vassals of another government type.

That rule makes no sense so I will use the console to make all the kingdom level republics and theocracies I want :colbert:

You can, but yeah the rules regarding those are mightily obtuse. I assume it's just gameplay balance reasons, to prevent poo poo like having infinite money from nothing but republic kingdom vassals, but I wonder if there's any kind of historical casus belli for it.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Skellybones posted:

I'd be able to add Alaska and Newfoundland really easily if we didn't use Mercator map projection :colbert:

Just say Hawaii sank into the ocean and include an event chain to discover the lost city of Honolulu

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been adverse to adding Indian nomads in the past, just because I didn't want the Great Plains to basically just be Indian Wars 2: Medieval Boogaloo. I wouldn't mind adding in other people as nomads, though, and I've been quietly toying around with a few ways to add in something derived from motorcycle clubs, just on my own.

I haven't played a game far enough, do any of the other Pacific invasions fire or is it still just the Japanese? The Ozlanders would be a great biker horde, or at least potentially have special car retinues

Raserys fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 25, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Angry Salami posted:

I figure if you add Zorastrian incest to the mod, it should be an Occultist thing - weird twisted families works well as a Lovecraftian homage, and the increased chance of Lunatic works well for them too.

I agree, adding it for the deep south or Appalachia would just be lazy stereotyping.

Occultists are more like Lovecraftian investigators. So they don't worship the Old Ones, but they are aware of them and try really hard to not get destroyed by them.

Raserys posted:

I haven't played a game far enough, do any of the other Pacific invasions fire or is it still just the Japanese? The Ozlanders would be a great biker horde, or at least potentially have special car retinues

I'm not entirely sure how many have actually been given events to make them appear but the total overseas cultures are British, Hawaiian, Brazilian, Singaporean, Yuehai (Cantonese), Edokko (Japanese), Novorusskiy (Russian), Ozlander (Aboriginal Australian), Kinh (Vietnamese), Tagalog (Filipino), and... Nigerian.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Skellybones posted:

Look, it was hard to find high-res images of North America, both for terrain and topography, along with detailed maps of all counties in the US that would fit. Those Blue Marble maps were all equirectangular projection, and they were the first really hi-res maps I found for terrain and topography, so that's why it's all projected that way. I don't have anything against Alaska and Newfoundland, honest! :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skellybones posted:

I'm not entirely sure how many have actually been given events to make them appear but the total overseas cultures are British, Hawaiian, Brazilian, Singaporean, Yuehai (Cantonese), Edokko (Japanese), Novorusskiy (Russian), Ozlander (Aboriginal Australian), Kinh (Vietnamese), Tagalog (Filipino), and... Nigerian.

A Paradox game mod with real Nigerian Princes. :allears:

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

Alright, I've added a Níðhöggr branch to my draconic pantheon in the kobolds mod, with the worship of Fáfnir being a heresy.

quote:

The worship of the dragon Níðhöggr of the Draconic Pantheon can be mostly found in the cold, untamed north. Considered a cruel god by most for association with dishonor, murder, and undeath, he still finds followers willing to champion his cause. Only the fittest and craftiest are worthy of continued survival.

Each "branch" of the religion will be the worship of a different dragon, with slightly different mechanics (Nidhogg is associated with undeath/possible necromancy). Don't suppose any of you with reasonable European history/mythos knowledge could recommend me some more potential dragon pairs? I know Bahamut is a huge fish-thing in Arabian mythos that I could use as some sort of aquatic/sea going dragon and Tiamat is a primordial chaos ocean oriented goddess, so those could be an option for the Arabian/Greek area of the map.

Is there a way to get the validator to stop yelling at me for duplicate counties? Since duplicates/merging is supposed to be, you know, valid post horse lords, or at least I thought it was.

Here, have a placeholder kobold trait icon.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Tell me about it. I just want to play in my sandbox. I don't care if megaspergs make 100% theocracy vassals and then complain about the game being too easy. If it's too easy when you do that, THEN DON'T DO IT. Why is that so hard? Exercise some self control instead of ruining it for everyone else.

CrazyLoon posted:

You can, but yeah the rules regarding those are mightily obtuse. I assume it's just gameplay balance reasons, to prevent poo poo like having infinite money from nothing but republic kingdom vassals, but I wonder if there's any kind of historical casus belli for it.

It's because megaspergs were making all their vassals either republics for :20bux: or theocracies for vassals that would almost never revolt.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

McGavin posted:

Tell me about it. I just want to play in my sandbox. I don't care if megaspergs make 100% theocracy vassals and then complain about the game being too easy. If it's too easy when you do that, THEN DON'T DO IT. Why is that so hard? Exercise some self control instead of ruining it for everyone else.

It's because megaspergs were making all their vassals either republics for :20bux: or theocracies for vassals that would almost never revolt.

Pretty much this. Besides, there is also the 10% limit, so if you make a huge kingdom merchant republic vassal, you wont be able to make even a regular republic after that.

IMHO the 10% limit is enough to prevent those kind of exploits, no need to spoil my fun of making Frisia a merchant republic.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've finally got an Ireland game going with some real traction. I worked my way up from Count of Dublin to King of Eire and am pushing my way into Scotland now. This is the longest Crusader Kings II game I've kept going and it's hella majestic.

I'm wondering about Crusades. Every now and then the Pope calls on all good Catholic nobles to send soldiers to take Jerusalem back from the Muslims. If we succeed, then the ruler that contributes the most gets to claim Jerusalem. When I was trying to unite Ireland, I didn't really care about Jerusalem, and I never really had many resources anyway, so I ignored it. There was no apparent ill effect. Now we're getting the call again, only this time it will be the King of England who will score the holy land, regardless of individual contribution. I'm allied with the King of England and have some levies I can send out, but is there any reason to bother? Will he appreciate my effort? Will I get any reward? Is there any cost to ignoring the Crusade entirely?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GlitchThief posted:

Will I get any reward? Is there any cost to ignoring the Crusade entirely?

You will be "rewarded" by gaining the Crusader trait and picking up a fuckton of prestige for leading battles in the war (as you would with any war). The Pope will also really like you, as will any other rulers/nobles with the Crusader trait (so in this case, both you and the king of England would have the trait, so you'll have positive relations bonuses to each other).

There's no cost to ignoring a crusade really, as I usually do unless I'm in charge of a pretty stable and strong kingdom myself. There's also always the possibility that the Abassids or whoever will roll up on the King of England with a doomstack from Arabia and wipe out his army, erasing any lead he would have had in wartime contribution. So there's still a chance you could win the crusade and thus the Holy Land.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Elias_Maluco posted:

Pretty much this. Besides, there is also the 10% limit, so if you make a huge kingdom merchant republic vassal, you wont be able to make even a regular republic after that.

IMHO the 10% limit is enough to prevent those kind of exploits, no need to spoil my fun of making Frisia a merchant republic.

The 10% limit is what was added to stop the exploit. And that's what's dumb.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It has been a while since I played Horse Lords, but is it possible for the player to become a Raiding/Invading Adventurer or a Landless Clan?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ofaloaf posted:

Look, it was hard to find high-res images of North America, both for terrain and topography, along with detailed maps of all counties in the US that would fit. Those Blue Marble maps were all equirectangular projection, and they were the first really hi-res maps I found for terrain and topography, so that's why it's all projected that way. I don't have anything against Alaska and Newfoundland, honest! :(

What exactly do you need, and at what resolution? It'd be the easiest thing in the world to take ETOPO1 and have GMT reproject it however you want.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
If anyone's behind on DLC, steam has a sale now with paradox dlc being mostly -50% off (horse lords is -33% off).

Grab all the essential stuff like Finno-Ugric portraits and Early Eastern Clothing pack now!

e; is the Charlemagne DLC worth it? Is the start date good even if not playing as a Karling yourself? I don't very much care for very blobby bookmarks and the Abbasids seem to be very strong in 769. What about the usefulness of viceroyalties?

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 25, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's never any need to manually hand out church or city titles if you don't want to. Just hand them out with the county via the clickbox and let the newly appointed count handle it.

I tend to do it, because occasionally, you'll hand a tribal county and it's temple holding to someone and it'll turn into a theocracy, things of that nature.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The 10% limit is what was added to stop the exploit. And that's what's dumb.

Well, Im okay witgh that (could be a little higher). Just let me give kingdom titles for whoever I want, I love making kindgoms.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just assume After the End Alaska is some glorious, united but isolationist kingdom because it amuses me. :v:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So with the sale on Steam going on, which expansions would you regard as must-have. Alternatively, which are totally skippable?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GlitchThief posted:

So with the sale on Steam going on, which expansions would you regard as must-have. Alternatively, which are totally skippable?

-Wanna play as republics (you do, they're fun), then get The Republic.
-Wanna play as Muslims (you do, they're fun), then get Sword of Islam.
-Wanna play as pagans of all stripes (you do, they're very fun), and get an earlier start date, then get The Old Gods.
-Wanna get any even earlier start date, play as tribes, and be dominated by Karlings (fun debatable), get Charlemagne.
-Wanna play in a more fleshed-out Byzantium with unique mechanics, and use retinues (you do), get Legacy of Rome.
-Wanna have more religious flavor for the Abrahamic religions, get Sons of Abraham.
-Wanna just general all-around improvements to fun (you do) and life focuses that give you more control of your dude, get Way of Life.
-Wanna play as nomads/steppe peoples, get Horse Lords.
-Wanna piss off Paradox forums users (and yourself, probably), get Sunset Invasion.
-Wanna play in India (I've owned this since launch and have never once used it), get Rajas of India.

It's all very a la carte, and Paradox includes a bunch of stuff in the patches that come with each expansion anyway, so you can at least see the effects in the background (ie: you can see republics under AI control but you can't play one yourself without the DLC, etc.) Personally I wouldn't want to do without any of them except maybe Sunset Invasion, but if I were to prioritize just one, I would say The Old Gods.

Really though if you're not on a shoestring budget, get The Republic/Sword of Islam/The Old Gods as these unlock pretty much every character on the map as playable (meaning you won't have to just be another Catholic), and then get Legacy of Rome, and then get the rest as you wish.

Skippable in my opinion are definitely Sunset Invasion and Rajas of India.

The cosmetic DLC in the form of portrait packs, in my opinion, are quite worth it as they add a lot of character to the game. The music packs are also generally pretty good too, Andreas Waldetoft is a pretty great strategy game composer (obviously skip this if you play with the in-game music turned off). The unit packs are really kinda useless though and I only bought them during last year's Christmas sale when I think they were like a quarter a piece.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Is playing as a nomad with the DLC fun? The new mechanics seem to deviate a lot from the ordinary feodalism-gameplay.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Elias_Maluco posted:

I feel obliged to note that, while you cannot give vassals of different types the actual kingdom title, it's easy enough to give them all the de jure duchies in that kingdom and let them work things out on their own. I've got two vassal republic kingdoms from that, although none of my feudal/tribal vassals have quite gotten around to it, aggravatingly enough.

Trogdos! posted:

Is playing as a nomad with the DLC fun? The new mechanics seem to deviate a lot from the ordinary feodalism-gameplay.
I'd say yes to both, with the caveat that they're currently OP and due for rebalancing.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Drone posted:

Skippable in my opinion are definitely Sunset Invasion and Rajas of India.

Only skip Rajas if you don't care having the entire continent loaded with Muslim portraits. :gonk:

Please download Sunset Invasion while it's on sale so you can play my Tuniit Iceland mod unimpeded. Also I think it might not work if you don't own it at all.

Also I have yet to release it. I have... plans for it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Iceland mod is actually being made? Is that the one with longer and shittier travel and less dudes that was mentioned in jest a bunch of pages back?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Drone posted:

-Wanna play in India (I've owned this since launch and have never once used it), get Rajas of India.

India is super boring to play in but I have found one good use for having Rajas which is that playing a Hindu Nomad and devoting yourself to Kali lets you do human sacrifice, which drastically improves the Nomad experience by giving you something to do with the billions of prisoners you end up with.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
No, I don't really want to alter the map so close to an upcoming DLC. It's just adding some cultures, decisions and events.

I've also added a new conqueror to East Africa. :getin: Plus a new govtype for India (Dharmatic, a mix of Feudal and Iqta) that I'm still working on.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
No

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks for the comprehensive answers to my dumb newbie questions, Drone. :coffeepal:

I just want to gush about this game all the time. I've been playing for less than a week and I already have over 30 hours logged on this. It's turned from a strategy game I barely comprehend to an ongoing middle ages drama that I can't stop tuning in to.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
IMO there are three must-have DLCs: Old Gods, Legacy of Rome, Way of Life.

Republic/Sword of Islam/Horse Lords are optional if playing those types of games appeals to you. If you expect to play Catholic (or Jewish, of course) then Sons of Abraham is recommended. Charlemagne doesn't drive me wild but some people looooooove the early start date.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

IMO there are three must-have DLCs: Old Gods, Legacy of Rome, Way of Life.

Republic/Sword of Islam/Horse Lords are optional if playing those types of games appeals to you. If you expect to play Catholic (or Jewish, of course) then Sons of Abraham is recommended. Charlemagne doesn't drive me wild but some people looooooove the early start date.

Is there any way to turn off the seduction aspect of WoL? It sounds really annoying, although the rest of it sounds great.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Is there any way to turn off the seduction aspect of WoL? It sounds really annoying, although the rest of it sounds great.

It's pretty funny the first little while so you may want to experience the insanity before turning it off. What I do is go into 00_focuses.txt (typically in Program Files > Steam > steamapps > common > objectives) and find focus_seduction and adjust AI Pick Chance downward. I think it's 100 by default. I turned it down to 20, and it's still picked basically 100% of the time by Lustful characters but very rarely by non-Lustful characters, and I find it acceptable. But if you want to turn it off entirely you can just set it to 0 (you can still pick it but the AI won't).

I think there's a mod that does this for you, also.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Fixed WOL is the mod your looking for.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mornhaven posted:

Fixed WOL is the mod your looking for.

That does quite a bit more than turn seduction down, if I'm thinking of the same mod you are.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
I've used it for so long I forgot it did more than just adjust the seduction rates, I had been thinking those changes were part of the base game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Would one of the more mod-savvy people here be so kind as to help me figure out how to change the map colors in an existing game? Is this even possible?

A problem I'm running into is there was a successful crusade for Greece and Greece and Byzantium are right next to each other and on this crappy monitor, they're identical in color. I've gone into the landed_titles file and changed it, and I've made a mod that's got nothing BUT my modified landed_titles file, but when I boot the game with the mod running, they're still identical color.

It's possible to make them, like, a nice, contrasting blue, yeah? How do I go about doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So this is something that's always bothered me, but I'm wondering if any of the changes since I played have let you tinker around with it, namely is it possible to mod in matrilineal marriages as a muslim? I could get the AI to do it before horse lords, but the UI made it impossible for players. Wondering if that was ever tinkered with?

• Locked thread