Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

Armored warfare is kinda broken right now and Hot Seamen is the new poo poo. Why you no play boats?!

This. AW is hosed up atm balance wise, so some downtime and playing other games with Goons is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Just applied as bees

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Applied as Bloop. I still don't really know what I am doing.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
I'm Pvt Public and I clicked that fuckin button so hard, can't wait to shoot some hot loads.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
everyone who has applied should be in now

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I just applied, Thyme.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It's time for fleet battles. We need one more brave goon with a ship T3 or T4.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I will be on in a few minutes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Our first victory, ever

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reggin posted:

Our first victory, ever

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We done got two victories now.

Enjoy your free guild buff and your officers for those who were in.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
I see the fleet has space again. Applied to join as dpidz0r.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
If you do fleet battles DO NOT DO TEN GOONS AT ONCE you will fight Dark Judge too much and get 0 kills for a total wipe.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

If you did not get your two fleet battle wins, come back friday. The time is localized, so check the fleet -> fleet battle page to see what time it is.

Some of us got our wins and our extra officers for it. We also got another buff for everyone in the fleet.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Death to dark judge. :argh:

Its like Wargame red dragon in the level of unfun in boates.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Groggy nard posted:

If you do fleet battles DO NOT DO TEN GOONS AT ONCE you will fight Dark Judge too much and get 0 kills for a total wipe.

We just did 7 vs 10 against dark judge. It went about as you'd expect.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

bees everywhere posted:

While you were doing that me and two other goons did a normal match and I ended up getting four kills with my TypeS, I swear most sub drivers are so bad at Tier3 I am being practically handed kills at this point.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

One day we'll kill one of them.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Groggy nard posted:

While you were doing that me and two other goons did a normal match and I ended up getting four kills with my TypeS, I swear most sub drivers are so bad at Tier3 I am being practically handed kills at this point.

Got any advice for sub driving?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Lee Outrageous posted:

Got any advice for sub driving?

You will sometimes be put way ahead of the rest of the fleet. Don't rush ahead. Slow down, have a buddy to help deal with anything that isn't a battleship at close range. USE SMOKE.

On Torpedos: Area Denial is a thing, use one to bait enemies into turns and then fire spreads after their turn kills their speed, or just fire blind spreads to force enemies to break off, which will spoil their aim.

On Scouting: Sometimes just finding the enemy BB's is enough to corral your pubbies in the right direction to turn a bad fight into a potential victory. If conditions are right, you can chase around groups of BB's and render their artillery useless in the face of "I don't want to eat torps for dinner and go to bed with the fishes." Actually killing them is just icing on the cake.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 25, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How to kill a sub as a BB:

1. Drive straight at the sub.
2. Ram it.
3. Unload secondaries point blank.
4. Win match.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Applied! Im punakone in game as well

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Thanksgiving Day GIFT!!!
Dear captains,

In order to appreciate your support to Steel Ocean, any player who logins on Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 26th) will get the Thanksgiving Day gift pack.

The gift pack contains:

Adv. Smoke Bomb*5
Adv. Extinguisher*5
Adv. Repair Kit*5
Gold*500
Silver*50,000

You will get them in two days after your login by in-game email.

Please do not forget to play tomorrow.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Michaellaneous posted:

How to kill a sub as a BB:

1. Drive straight at the sub.
2. Ram it.
3. Unload secondaries point blank.
4. Win match.

Fire your two Torpedo broadside from your BB 18 Connecticut and watch the average sub Player do something stupid as he tries to understand what just happened.

so I was like
Oct 18, 2009
Applied as Vladumeas.

So basically as a CL I'm beefing up destroyer groups with my guns and plugging holes in the battle lines as they form right? That's kinda the feel I get from it.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

so I was like posted:

Applied as Vladumeas.

So basically as a CL I'm beefing up destroyer groups with my guns and plugging holes in the battle lines as they form right? That's kinda the feel I get from it.

A CL is best for killing destroyers, shooting down aircraft, and getting blown to pieces by enemy BBs. You can also kill subs pretty decently. I'm still learning myself but it seems CLs are best suited for defending BBs and ambushing DDs who push too far ahead.

If you stay with your DDs you'll get spotted quickly and will make an easy target for any BBs lurking behind them.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I probably play far too aggressively as a DD, like I do with all GOTTA GO FAST style classes in these sorts of games, but the prospect of getting close to enemy BBs and murdering them with torpedoes is too temping.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I do not like being flagship.
Also MM is a bit hosed when barely anyone is playing

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Thanksgiving Day GIFT!!!
Dear captains,

In order to appreciate your support to Steel Ocean, any player who logins on Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 26th) will get the Thanksgiving Day gift pack.

The gift pack contains:

Adv. Smoke Bomb*5
Adv. Extinguisher*5
Adv. Repair Kit*5
Gold*500
Silver*50,000

You will get them in two days after your login by in-game email.

Please do not forget to play tomorrow.

Oh nice, 500 gold's just enough for another ships slot. Yet another line for me that I can't advance on because I don't have enough silver :suicide:. On that note, do we already have some estimation what the best/worst ways to spend small sums of gold are? Gold ammo an consumables seem like far and away the worst, but what about camo or flags?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Oh nice, 500 gold's just enough for another ships slot. Yet another line for me that I can't advance on because I don't have enough silver :suicide:. On that note, do we already have some estimation what the best/worst ways to spend small sums of gold are? Gold ammo an consumables seem like far and away the worst, but what about camo or flags?

Gold ammo becomes kinda a bit for T5 BBs since they add a lot of pen and 40 damage. At least for the Nevada.

Other than that premium matches, taking off equipment and flags.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The nevada's gold rounds adds penetration but for what effect

A silver round is 389 pen and 386 damage
A gold round is 420 pen 425 damage

At the same time a nevada's armor is 76/374/324

We tested normalization of AP rounds and it works on side armor but only at extreme angles. Also there seemed to be no loss of penetration at range. In either case, both rounds will penetrate everything that tier or one tier up. Nothing has thick enough armor for the pen value to matter.

The 39 extra damage per shot might matter, considering you got 10 cannons, meaning 390 extra damage. Which is the same as one more silver round. But in practice this doesn't seem that important.

Urby
May 31, 2011

MADE IN MEXICO
Applied to join as Urby.

Battleships are fun, but I'm bad at light cruisers... are they weak, or am I just weak?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The nevada's gold rounds adds penetration but for what effect

A silver round is 389 pen and 386 damage
A gold round is 420 pen 425 damage

At the same time a nevada's armor is 76/374/324

We tested normalization of AP rounds and it works on side armor but only at extreme angles. Also there seemed to be no loss of penetration at range. In either case, both rounds will penetrate everything that tier or one tier up. Nothing has thick enough armor for the pen value to matter.

The 39 extra damage per shot might matter, considering you got 10 cannons, meaning 390 extra damage. Which is the same as one more silver round. But in practice this doesn't seem that important.

To further this point when you're firing at long range you're doing plunging fire and hitting deck armour, mostly, further negating gold rounds' extra performance. Angling to bounce rounds off your belt armour only really works well at very close ranges where something can't reliably hit your super structure.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
And I'm back, grinding that weekly mission for those fleet XP.

That's how most of my Victories in the Yubari look. Winning the IJN way.

e:
btw, I broke my 100% winstreak with the ship yesterday by dropping smoke on the enemy and a flare on myself during the opening encounter on a night combat map. :smithicide:

e:

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Applied to join the fleet as Jarvi

Ambaire posted:

Applied to join as Ambaire. Game seems pretty fun so far.

you're all in, now pay up.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 25, 2015

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Applied to join the fleet as Jarvi

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Applied to join as Ambaire. Game seems pretty fun so far.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

So I'm sitting at work wondering if there's a good strategy for us to use against dark judge, realistically allowing us to sink at least 1-2 of them. I'm thinking we'd need to avoid the spotting/artillery fight completely (because they will always win) and go max CV & SS with CLs there for anti air. Use subs to wolf pack their BBs and force them to either bring their DDs back to defend or push everything forward. Support the subs with fighter aircraft or torpedo bombers and try to mess up the BBs as much as possible before they can get a shot off.

Of course we will still lose miserably because we are not elitist tryhard gaming nerds but sinking one or two of them would at least be a minor consolation.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The problem is that we never see anything expect for their two vanguard DDs and everyone else on their team is hanging back sniping. We'd need to be at least 100x more organized than we are or we need some super star BBs that can drop their scouts immediately. Also our CV players would need to learn how to stack their planes properly so they don't get auto annihilated. Also practice with a static team..

All these things start getting into territory I don't like when I'm playing games. A little bit of tryhardiness might be fun but it goes downhill pretty quick after that for me.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Ok new plan, DD and SS suicide torpedo rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
They also all have optimized crews (their destroyers spot ours long before we spot theirs) and spending a pile of money on crews just to fight one fleet is lame. It'd be a lot more productive to work on consistently beating the other fleets, and just lose to the super tryhards as quickly as possible.

If we only wanted to sink one of them we could bring ten fubukis but that sort of defeats the purpose of fleet battles.

• Locked thread