Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Whip Slagcheek posted:

It used to be 50 pounds back in the 90s.

for real? christ how big were their trigger fingers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Two Finger posted:

for real? christ how big were their trigger fingers?

some gun board posted:

When NYPD went from revolvers to Glocks really was the start of it. They used to start pulling slack and stage the tigger coming out of the holster. When they went to Glocks their guys did the same thing through muscle memory. When you go from a wheel gun with like a 12 lb trigger to a 5.5 that technique isn't the best idea. As a result many shot themselves in the leg on the outside portion. They also supposedly had some shootings where guys shot early or torched off rounds they didn't Intend. Then the good idea fairy struck and they required a super heavy trigger, hence the glock NY1 and NY2 trigger.

who knows how much of this is myth but considering how hilarious nypd are when it comes to blasting fools i take it at face value

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

That's the public version of the story, but the real story is way way longer and more complicated than that. I'd write it up but not from mobile.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

That's the public version of the story, but the real story is way way longer and more complicated than that. I'd write it up but not from mobile.

:allears: get on one of them type writers then take a screenshot for us

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Basically New Yorkers are incapable of handling firearms in any capacity without fuckin up

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

:allears: get on one of them type writers then take a screenshot for us

Yes please!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So how important is baton training for officers nowadays? I've heard that it's mostly fallen out of favor since the taser became a thing. Do any of the cops in here still carry a baton on the beat, or do you leave it on the seat?

Also, same question for the brit cops (And Bernard :v:)

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Captain Bravo posted:

So how important is baton training for officers nowadays? I've heard that it's mostly fallen out of favor since the taser became a thing. Do any of the cops in here still carry a baton on the beat, or do you leave it on the seat?

Every* patrol officer in every agency I've worked with in Canada carries a collapsible baton on their belt.

* except crusty old cops from the 70's who only carry their gun and one set of cuffs :psyduck:

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I leave it on the seat mostly. It does have many other uses other than beating people such as:

poking deer to make sure they are dead
picking up stuff that falls on the passenger floorboard
adjusting vents on the passenger side
breaking ice sickles off of my car

or good old boring stuff like breaking windows, and pain compliance.

I think the baton gets a lot more use in the UK where they aren't as free to use tasers as we are in good old 'Murica. I would say tasers are much more effective at immobilizing a subject and you can do it from 21ft or further if you have those cool long range cartridges.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Captain Bravo posted:

At my agency we all carry them, but I couldn't tell you of any time they've ever been used. Most officers will use their pepper spray or taser to stop someone before they'll break out their baton. Much lower risk for permanent injury.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I've worked with officers who will always go to the baton over OC. Because you don't have to decontaminate the bad guy after you baton him. :v:

Plus it's usually a bit more effective. Not all the time, but usually.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Captain Bravo posted:

Baton training is basically "These are the carrying positions" "You can stab people with it or hit them" "Go hit this dummy a few times" once a year. Literally takes less than 15 minutes with a full group of officers

All front line UK officers are required to carry their baton as it forms part of their "personal protective equipment" under health and safety regulations

I only really ever see batons being used on football days when there's a ruckus and fisticuffs ensue

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
the quintessential vision of the british police officer to me will never not be groups of them slapping their batons on their hands, marching at half-step and chanting in unison "OI OI OI!" while getting ready to beat the snot out of soccerfootball hooligans

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 25, 2015

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
The days when the public was cool with you hitting a suspect with a stick, even when it's justified, are long gone. THE OUTRAGE. THE OUTRAGE I SAY.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Ya, I haven't hit anybody with a stick in what feels like ages.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
that's not what your wife said

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I miss the days when we could just crack a guy in the head with a PR-24 and the worst we'd get is some drunk guy in the crowd yellin, "DAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNN"

This is a joke.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I miss the days when we could just crack a guy in the head with a PR-24 and the worst we'd get is some drunk guy in the crowd yellin, "DAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNN"

This is a joke.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Mike-o posted:

the quintessential vision of the british police officer to me will never not be groups of them slapping their batons on their hands, marching at half-step and chanting in unison "OI OI OI!" while getting ready to beat the snot out of soccerfootball hooligans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haNF0Z9fAQY

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Mike-o posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulhe59nYDAk

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
yeah i was actually thinking it was something i saw on the simpsons lol

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
was skimming posts, saw "pain compliance" and "leave it on the seat," somehow brain put together you guys were putting pepper spray on toilet seats

so I have to ask, how often have you put pepper spray on toilet seats?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

That's hosed up man. You don't gently caress with the toilet. :mad:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Now, icy hot in underwear is a different story.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Fuckin with someone in the bathroom is like the nuclear option. Yeah it's on the table but if they gently caress your wife and burn down your house in response you can't really complain

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
A long time ago when I was an officer.. things were exactly as Hezzy described. Baton usually gets used for smashing windows and holding doors ajar while someone else finishes smashing them down. I bent a baton doing this and got an almighty bollocking.

We have 2 types, the normal 21" friction lock baton, used to be a quality ASP one, then we got a poo poo Manadnock which was softer metal and now they have some Chinese poo poo where they stop locking out.

The other type is a solid Public Order baton of plastic (or older wood ones) that gets issued to every Riot trained officer. The weight and length is issued based on your size and strength. I got given the largest baton :smug:

...and never hit anyone with it.

O, and mounted officers have some giant 3 foot baton that they like to use to educate students and football supporters.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

O, and mounted officers have some giant 3 foot baton that they like to use to educate students and football supporters.

I'm picturing a Polo mallet here.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Here is an officer about to educate someone.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Last time I deployed my baton was a few weeks ago....

....to turn on a TV that people couldn't find the remote for and was too high for anyone to reach.

Real talk, I've never struck anyone with my baton. I have deployed it a few times for baton locks and in a kubaton matter (thumbs on top of wrist, baton against wrist bones,push, instant grip breaker)

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

A long time ago when I was an officer.. things were exactly as Hezzy described. Baton usually gets used for smashing windows and holding doors ajar while someone else finishes smashing them down. I bent a baton doing this and got an almighty bollocking.

We have 2 types, the normal 21" friction lock baton, used to be a quality ASP one, then we got a poo poo Manadnock which was softer metal and now they have some Chinese poo poo where they stop locking out.

The other type is a solid Public Order baton of plastic (or older wood ones) that gets issued to every Riot trained officer. The weight and length is issued based on your size and strength. I got given the largest baton :smug:

...and never hit anyone with it.

Was the lovely chinese one a TCH baton? They're terrible, we either had a bad batch or they're just generally shoddy build quality. We have Monadnocks now, much better. When I worked for the Home Office, I had a MX-21 which was an absolutely dream. Basically just two really heavy pieces of metal that slide out and lock. Really satisfying racking noise!

Here is an officer about to educate someone.

"TALLY HOOOOOOOOOOO!"

JayKay posted:

Last time I deployed my baton was a few weeks ago....

....to turn on a TV that people couldn't find the remote for and was too high for anyone to reach.

Real talk, I've never struck anyone with my baton. I have deployed it a few times for baton locks and in a kubaton matter (thumbs on top of wrist, baton against wrist bones,push, instant grip breaker)

I've only ever drawn my baton for football, not had to hit anybody though luckily.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I completely forgot about Occupy DC, a lot of officers were using their baton that day. I wasn't there. :saddowns:

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Hezzy posted:

Was the lovely chinese one a TCH baton? They're terrible, we either had a bad batch or they're just generally shoddy build quality. We have Monadnocks now, much better. When I worked for the Home Office, I had a MX-21 which was an absolutely dream. Basically just two really heavy pieces of metal that slide out and lock. Really satisfying racking noise!

Might have been, I was lucky to have joined before those things came in. The last couple of OST refreshers I did had compulsory orders to bring your baton for inspection and basically they were telling half of the probationers that their brand new baton needed replacing while aging response officers who had ASP's for 20 years and used them for everything from smashing windows and penetrating colleagues to attitude re-allignment on minorities just shrugged and said 'welcome to the MET, by Asda,'

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hitting people straight in the loving knees with a baton is pretty satisfying. So are phrases like "I aimed my strike to the meary part of the thigh bjt due to the suspect's continued resistance the baton landed on the outside of the knee, causing the suspect to fall."

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Wow way to admit to doctoring reports no wonder people don't trust us!!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
When did FTP transition to ACAB?

It was FTP ten years ago when I was in high school.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I always thought ACAB was a British thing but I saw it a bunch with occupy. :shrug:

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I think ACAB was predominantly Irish?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
"I was aiming for his arm, but he moved so I hit him in the head. Twice"

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Look man, all of you stupid islands are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Look man, all of you stupid islands are the same.

Says the Slav

• Locked thread