Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Calde posted:

Thanks for this link, I've been debating with a good friend of mine who thinks that Sam Harris and Bill Maher aren't bigoted but Very Serious Athiests. This might have actually broken through the bias, it's just so ugly and gross.

They are bigoted very serious atheists. Dawkins has said some dumb poo poo too - at this point Sam Harris is a verbose moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Who?

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They are bigoted very serious atheists. Dawkins has said some dumb poo poo too - at this point Sam Harris is a verbose moron.

It's depressing that they keep trying to dress up their naked fear as if it's a reasoned and rational response. A pity atheist leaders believe poo poo like this, I truly expect better from them but they fail again and again.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Here's that link about the 3%ers being everything but good people.

quote:

The scene last weekend on the steps of the Idaho state Capitol in Boise was a portrait of America in the wake of the Paris terrorism attacks: On one side, a gathering of interfaith allies voicing their support for refugees from Syria and the plans to help thousands of them resettle in the United States; on the other, a gathering of opponents, many of them clad in black clothing emblazoned with the logo of the antigovernment “III Percent” movement, shouting and chanting their opposition to the program.

The pro-refugee crowd heavily outnumbered the opponents of Syrian resettlement across the street from the steps of the state Capitol in Boise.

The pro-refugee crowd, about 1,000 strong, significantly outdrew those opposed, who numbered just over a hundred – roughly the same turnout the group had achieved three weeks before in Boise in an anti-refugee rally of their own.

"Turning women and children away, cast out of their homes with nothing but the clothes on their back is just not an acceptable thing for us as Americans, you know, champions of liberty, to do," Tara Foster, one of the organizers of the “Rally for Solidarity With Refugees in Idaho,” told the assembled crowd.

Across the street, the anti-refugee crowd chanted: “Veterans first! Veterans first!” and “USA! USA! USA!”

A number of speakers stood up during the rally to defend the refugee program. A young Muslim woman named Noora Muhamad, a leader of Boise State University’s Muslim Student Association, explained that she was born in a refugee camp in Turkey to Kurdish parents who had fled Iraq, and that she arrived in the United States as an infant.

"I grew up learning to be open minded and strong and independent," she said.

Across the street, the opponents shouted: “Idaho first! Idaho first!” A couple of the demonstrators yelled: “Go home!”

On the pro-refugee side, demonstrators carried signs reading “Idaho Is Too Great For Hate,” “Refugees Welcome!”, and “Hope, Not Hate.”

Freddy Nyankulinda, a Congolese refugee and BSU student, speaks to the crowd.

“I know how painful, how struggling, how challenging the life of a refugee is,” said Freddy Nyankulinda, a Congolese refugee who is now a student at BSU. “That’s why today I am standing here to (raise) my voice to others who are crying out on the borders.”

He explained to the crowd that, despite the opponents’ concerns about the infiltration of the ranks of refugees by the terrorist factions responsible for the Paris attacks, in reality people from Syria are trying to reach the U.S. not to cause harm, but just to find a safe haven.

“It’s because this nation is the greatest nation among all the nations,” Nyankulinda said. “It’s not just because they’re coming here to take over America, no.”

'III Percent of Idaho' spokesman Chris McIntire

III Percent of Idaho spokesman Chris McIntire, speaking over a bullhorn as the gathering started, claimed that the opponents weren’t trying to halt all refugees coming to the state, but said that their only real concern was over a supposed lack of security vetting for those refugees.

““Those on the other side need to understand this is not about hate. This is not about being against the humanitarian effort. We need refugees in this country, but we need them to be verified and we need it to be legal,” McIntire said.

One of the signs opposing the refugee resettlement program in Idaho.

However, there were voices that belied the III Percent leaders' protestations. One man –– apparently accompanied by two young flag-waving boys –– shouted: "Hey, while you're teaching your kids to play with everybody else, they're teaching their kids to kill yours! Remember that!"

There were also a number of demonstrators on the opposing side carrying hateful signs. “Ban Islam! Deport All Muslims,” said one of the signs.

Another sign carried by a counter-protester.

“Raghead Retreads From The Islamic Plant In The White House – Just Say No! To BHO,” read another.

A number of the signs carried by the opponents carried the logo of ACT! For America, the extremist anti-Muslim group headed up by Brigitte Gabriel. Among the claims promoted by that group is the notion that the Obama administration has been infiltrated at the highest level by radical Islamists.

Towards the end of the rally, there were some brief moments where the two sides came together, as members of the pro-refugee side crossed the street and exchanged hugs with some of their opponents. Both McIntire and III Percent of Idaho president Brandon Curtiss exchanged greetings and even a hug with refugee supporters.

However, the moment quickly turned sour as some of the anti-refugee protesters began shouting at the people who came to talk to them.

One man wearing a U.S. Army jacket, who had been flipping off the pro-refugee side throughout the rally, began screaming at the people who approached him to talk, and at one point reached over to grab the head of a woman speaking to him, at which point police intervened and separated them.

The man continued shouting at the refugees’ defenders. “Hey, go back to your candy-cane, candy clowns, unicorn, kumbayah world, where you’ve got not life experience!”

“We don’t want to shake hands with people who are selling America out,” declared a woman with a bullhorn standing nearby. “Don’t you get it? We love our country!”

“So do we!” replied one of the refugee supporters who had approached them. “You only shake hands with people you agree with?”

Despite the continued attempts at rapprochement, the conversation at the park across from the Capitol continued along this ugly route. Eventually, the crowd broke up after Boise police ran a phalanx down the boulevard in front of the Capitol to clear the streets, and there were no further incidents.

Supporters of the refugees carried a wide variety of signs.

The controversy over refugee resettlement in Idaho has been focused in recent months over the plans by the refugee resettlement program to bring a number of Syrian refugees to the rural farming town of Twin Falls. The militiamen of the “III Percent” movement became involved in the issue in October, and their anger was on display earlier this month in a rally the group held on the Capitol steps, which was similarly met by pro-refugee counter-protesters.

Much of the dispute is based on misinformation, including the extremists’ claims that the refugees are poorly vetted. In reality, refugees are subjected to the heaviest scrutiny of any persons seeking to enter the United States, including multiple rounds of high-level security checks.

The controversy reflects a tide of anti-Muslim hatred that has been rising in the United States in recent weeks, fueled in part by Islamophobic rhetoric used by several GOP presidential candidates. That culminated in candidate Donald Trump announcing that if he were elected, he would tell the Syrian refugees: “They’re going back!”

Those sentiments, however, gained real traction in the media and in the political world when it emerged that one of the killers involved in Friday’s Paris massacres was believed to have carried a Syrian refugee passport, suggesting that he had wormed his way into France among the tide of refugees hitting much of Europe in the wake of attacks by Islamic State (ISIS) forces in Syria. (It later emerged that the passport was only found near the attacker, and European authorities so far insist that all the attackers were European nationals.)

Nonetheless, the initial reports set off alarm bells in states where the anti-refugee campaign was already gaining momentum –– notably such states as Alabama, Michigan, Florida and Idaho –– and eventually induced 26 Republican governors (as well as the Democratic governor of New Hampshire) to announce on Monday that they were halting the further influx of refugees within their respective states. They too claimed they feared the refugees might allow terrorists to come to the United States.

Federal authorities indeed have identified gaps in the ability to complete background checks on Syrian refugees, but despite coverage from right-wing media suggesting that they pose a security risk, the reality is that these refugees will receive an extraordinary amount of screening before entering the U.S. relocation program. One study found that while the concerns about terrorism might be legitimate, the reasons for fear are wildly exaggerated, and in fact only fuel the potential for real terrorism further down the road.

Thank you for being patient with me! I don't have a laptop or SA access on my work computer so it's phone posting all day every day.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm so glad the guys on SGU, which I think I'd the best science news and skeptical podcast, don't give Harris or Dawkins the loving time of day or any lip service at all. It probably helped that Dawkins spend considerable time attacking their note former co-host for being uptight.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

greatn posted:

I'm so glad the guys on SGU, which I think I'd the best science news and skeptical podcast, don't give Harris or Dawkins the loving time of day or any lip service at all. It probably helped that Dawkins spend considerable time attacking their note former co-host for being uptight.

Seriously, militant atheists are just another form of reactionary. It makes sense that they'd see more in common with Rs than leftists or other liberals.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Worked for the cop that murdered Oscar grant. Gee, I thought it was my taser. Didn't realize til my clip was empty.

Mehserle fired once, which is arguably a major reason that defense worked at all in terms of getting to involuntary manslaughter instead of something worse. It made it at least remotely plausible that he was mistaken.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lotka Volterra posted:

Seriously, militant atheists are just another form of reactionary. It makes sense that they'd see more in common with Rs than leftists or other liberals.

Yeah a lot of them, it seems the only thing they hate about conservative bullshit evangelism is the "going to church and praying" part. Hell sometimes just the "to do that you get up early on Sunday" part.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sam Harris, spawn of Dick Dorkins

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Calde posted:

It's depressing that they keep trying to dress up their naked fear as if it's a reasoned and rational response. A pity atheist leaders believe poo poo like this, I truly expect better from them but they fail again and again.

yeah the skeptic movement is a lot like mensa, a lot of decently bright people who pat themselves and each other on the back for being profound geniuses until they start convincing each other how it's rational to do polyamory or to buy timeshares on the texas coast or whatever

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lotka Volterra posted:

Hitchens was the same way, too. They're so blinded by their crusade that they don't realize they've become camp-followers of the evangelical far right.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Torpor posted:

No, that fact is not 'facially indefensible'; of all of the facts of the incident that is not that surprising or interesting.

Certainly his defense is going to incorporate some "you fire until the gun is empty" self-defense rhetoric, but it's hard to tell how that will play to the jury with exhibit A the same video we've all seen. There are also some indications of non-police witness testimony to the effect that Van Dyke paused but resumed firing when he saw movement--twice. Also he was apparently trying to reload when other officers waved him off. Hard to say what that will do under cross examination or if the prosecutor will even bother pursuing the case to that extent, but it's something.

To be clear, I agree that there are plenty of avenues for the defense, I just think it will involve a lot more obfuscation and sophistry than just saying "it was a good shoot gently caress off".

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Lotka Volterra posted:

This is why Im becoming slightly fond of some of the various satanic temple folks. If they say or do something insightful, I'm pleasantly surprised at the attempt; if they gently caress up and are just jerks I can brush it off as those crazy satanic guys. They occupy a political space similar to court jesters.

For example: a satanic children's coloring book with pro-social messages inside in an attempt to force a school to allow it to be distributed to elementary kids alongside some biblically inspired books? that is pretty funny.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah the skeptic movement is a lot like mensa, a lot of decently bright people who pat themselves and each other on the back for being profound geniuses until they start convincing each other how it's rational to do polyamory or to buy timeshares on the texas coast or whatever

That's definitely the vibe I get from Sam Harris. His identity as a rational atheist means that a priori his beliefs are well-reasoned and not at all similar to those emotionally charged right-wingers. There's zero reflection, zero self-awareness.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Also, it's doubly aggravating that Harris is using the stupidass right-wing talking point about how Obama's not "mad" enough in his speeches against ISIS.

HE'S AUTHORIZED SIX THOUSAND AIR STRIKES

But none of that matters cause Obama doesn't call ISIS names like Republicans do?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

Also, it's doubly aggravating that Harris is using the stupidass right-wing talking point about how Obama's not "mad" enough in his speeches against ISIS.

But none of that matters cause Obama doesn't call ISIS names like Republicans do?

i have rationally concluded that this dude is not freaking out enough, you see

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Interweb posted:

They're all about the sound and fury, to hell if it signifies nothing.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

FAUXTON posted:

They're all about the sound and fury, to hell if it signifies nothing.

americanpolitics.txt

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Personally, I'm embarrassed to have been a fan of Richard Dawkins and a follower of the New Atheist movement. I don't think it was destined to end up this way, but the Islamophobic and sexist side of the dispute was able to bully the more tolerant side out, and then tumbled into an echo chamber of fear and anger.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bullfrog posted:

Personally, I'm embarrassed to have been a fan of Richard Dawkins and a follower of the New Atheist movement. I don't think it was destined to end up this way, but the Islamophobic and sexist side of the dispute was able to bully the more tolerant side out, and then tumbled into an echo chamber of fear and anger.

Seemed pretty inevitable looking at the demographics. I think something like 85% of the movement was male (might've been during an /r/Atheism survey), and around that same proportion was white.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

Seemed pretty inevitable looking at the demographics. I think something like 85% of the movement was male (might've been during an /r/Atheism survey), and around that same proportion was white.

FAUXTON posted:

Hitchens was the same way, too. They're so blinded by their crusade that they don't realize they've become camp-followers of the evangelical far right.

Yea I don't see how they 'don't realize' this, it's a group of extremely reactionary people dominated pretty heavily by young white dudes, they were destined to be the target demo for the Pauls and poo poo of the world from the beginning.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Here's that link about the 3%ers being everything but good people.

quote:

. “Hey, go back to your candy-cane, candy clowns, unicorn, kumbayah world, where you’ve got not life experience!”

Thank you for being patient with me! I don't have a laptop or SA access on my work computer so it's phone posting all day every day.

What I love about that quote is that by accepting refugees, they are acknowledging the world is really screwed up. Just they would rather do something about it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Torpor posted:

This is why Im becoming slightly fond of some of the various satanic temple folks. If they say or do something insightful, I'm pleasantly surprised at the attempt; if they gently caress up and are just jerks I can brush it off as those crazy satanic guys. They occupy a political space similar to court jesters.

For example: a satanic children's coloring book with pro-social messages inside in an attempt to force a school to allow it to be distributed to elementary kids alongside some biblically inspired books? that is pretty funny.

The bad news is that most flavors of organized satanism are doctrinally super-Obectivism.

EDIT: Okay, I'm dumb.

http://thesatanictemple.com/faq posted:

TST has its own guiding principles and tenets, distinct from the LaVeyan school, that we feel represents a natural evolution in Satanic thought. The overriding principle calls for utilizing the best scientific evidence available to make the most rational real world decisions. To that end, we reject LaVeyan social Darwinist rhetoric that fails to agree with what is currently known regarding social evolution, specifically as it relates to research in evolutionary biology, game theory, reciprocal altruism, cognitive science, etc.

That's sort of a weird way of phrasing "we're not libertarians"/"don't be a dick" though.

moller fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 25, 2015

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
Sam Harris is a lot like Ayn Rand, both in terms of the audience they attract and in the way they write as outsiders in serious disciplines but reject any kind of meaningful engagement with the larger field. Hopefully Sam Harris will write a novel soon.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
TST are liberal humanists using the banner of Satanism to troll conservatives. They're emphatically not LaVeyans.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Pope Guilty posted:

TST are liberal humanists using the banner of Satanism to troll conservatives. They're emphatically not LaVeyans.

Right, although I feel the need to point out that LaVayans are and were using Satanism as a banner to troll as well, lest someone read your comment and think that there are/were "real" Satanists.

Reading more of the FAQ I quoted above kind of makes them seem like some manner of anarchist or anarcho-syndicalist organization. It depends on how you interpret their tenets though. There's some room to rules-lawyer a state in there, but not a ton.

http://thesatanictemple.com/about-us/tenets posted:

• One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
  • The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
  • One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
  • The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend.
  • To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
  • Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
  • People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
  • Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Cool, that's one vote cancelled out by someone who lets their kid punch ballots to "learn about democracy."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Torpor posted:

It would be kind of odd for the officer to argue that he thought he had the facts necessary to shoot but only shot once and then stopped because that makes it sound like he didn't really have the facts present to shoot in the first place.

I don't know man, seems to me like the situation and the reasonableness of a threat to your life changes somewhere between "dude is walking around with a knife" and "dude is writhing on the ground with 14 bullets in him already", and that should have some bearing on whether it's reasonable to fire that 15th shot

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
UsPol Nov 2015: #NegroProblems

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Look he was just trying to do a Mozambique drill but his aim was really off. You weren't there you wouldn't understand.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

fade5 posted:

(Partial Crosspost.) So there's been discussion about Donald Trump's ground game (or lack thereof). Wonder no longer:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-donald-trumps-ground-game-looks-in-early-states-2015-11-23

So if your hope of Trump not getting the nomination is based on Trump not having a ground game to get him the required wins, well...

Good luck.:unsmigghh:

Okay, so after Trump gets the nomination, those of us who have been saying it's likely Trump would get the nomination since Jeb fumbled the ball all this time will get retorts of "No, but you see, nobody here has been saying Trump would never get the nomination..." and other revisionism here, right?

Joementum posted:

When you're sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner this week and that one unbearable relative starts talking, just remember: it could be worse.

It could be so much worse.

"Have you heard about this one called the Grand Mufti? Man, there's so much I could say about the guy, nasty piece of work..."

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 25, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Not sure if this has already been posted but fun new facts from the Chicago shooting case were just broadcast on NPR:
- one of the witnesses of the shooting was apparently taken to a holding cell and told she didn't see anything :lol:
- the cop who went into the nearby Burger King to erase the surveillance video of the shooting...didn't erase the surveillance video of him erasing the surveillance video :haw:

Hahahaaaaaaaa. :saddowns:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm certainly sure that the year long investigation was building evidence against these blatant acts of subverting justice and surely not just biding time hoping that the video wasn't going to be released so it could be brushed under the rug as a Good Shoot!

Seriously there really needs to be a federal police investigation group in the Department of Justice that solely investigates corrupt police and prosecutors. This "well they didn't obviously infringe on his constitutional right when they murdered him for no reason and the evidence was lost by the police department in question so there's nothing we can do other than release this report" is really, really not cutting it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No doubt someone will be along in a moment to tell us that the footage could have been erased by mistake, thus by asking the cop to be charged with obstruction we're calling for an unconstitutional special standard for law enforcement, therefore it's a violation of the cops' rights to ever try them for this sort of thing, and so on and so forth.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Not sure if this has already been posted but fun new facts from the Chicago shooting case were just broadcast on NPR:
- one of the witnesses of the shooting was apparently taken to a holding cell and told she didn't see anything :lol:
- the cop who went into the nearby Burger King to erase the surveillance video of the shooting...didn't erase the surveillance video of him erasing the surveillance video :haw:

Holy moley

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Are there any sites which give rundowns on all the terrible things candidates do/have done in the past/lie about? (Carson, Trump, Cruz)

I know politifact and media matters but I was just curious if there's anything specifically geared towards giving you ammunition in explaining why these people are awful.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

reminder that none of this will ever change

Well maybe this might do something but after a decade of politics the only response I can muster to anything is nihilism these days

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 25, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

For context: 12 field staff is about what you'd have for a well-funded Congressional district. Position matters; are these 12 statewide coordinators, or 12 iowa-orientated coordinators? What is their past record? How many volunteers and local connections do they bring with them? Can they work well with finance side? All important campaign infrastructure questions.

this is not correct. very few Congressional districts would have anywhere close to 12 full time paid staffers.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

It's a good thing genuine evil in real life is usually superbly stupid too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

No doubt someone will be along in a moment to tell us that the footage could have been erased by mistake, thus by asking the cop to be charged with obstruction we're calling for an unconstitutional special standard for law enforcement, therefore it's a violation of the cops' rights to ever try them for this sort of thing, and so on and so forth.

This sort of thing really gets under my skin since it's obvious most of those types don't really give a poo poo when the justice system ignores the rights of non-police that is actually happening instead of some sort of "well we have to be super careful or a cop MIGHT be treated unconstitutionally which is why we can't change anything ever :ohdear:".

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 25, 2015

• Locked thread