Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I'm interested in your responses to the following hypothetical: Suppose that you have to start all over again with a new account. Which advanced class would you use your level 60 token on so that you could skip the painful leveling process and/or bad story? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CompeAnansi posted:

Ok. I'm interested in your responses to this hypothetical. Suppose that you have to start all over again with a new account. Which advanced class would you use your level 60 token on in order to skip the leveling process and/or story? Why?

I'm going to let others answer this in greater detail but something to keep in mind:

If you enjoy the story content and haven't done all the stories, consider not using a token at all because leveling is idiotically fast and basically a non issue. There is no "painful levelling process" anymore. I hit the level cap in chapter 2 with zero grinding.

If you have seen all the class stories, well token away~

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm going to let others answer this in greater detail but something to keep in mind:

If you enjoy the story content and haven't done all the stories, consider not using a token at all because leveling is idiotically fast and basically a non issue. There is no "painful levelling process" anymore. I hit the level cap in chapter 2 with zero grinding.

If you have seen all the class stories, well token away~

Are you able to level like that by basically just doing the main Planet and Class quests?

On another note: does the new (post-vanilla) content get better than Makeb? I hope so, because Makeb has been boring as gently caress.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

Are you able to level like that by basically just doing the main Planet and Class quests?

On another note: does the new (post-vanilla) content get better than Makeb? I hope so, because Makeb has been boring as gently caress.

You'd level slightly slower without doing any sidequests but not meaningfully. You'd still hit cap before finishing the class story.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 25, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Honestly I have been skipping even the planet quests and just doing the story quests and Heroics when leveling alts. Heroics are so much more convenient to deal with, really.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Welp, my agent is 4 levels under what he should be.

I see many heroics in my future. :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CompeAnansi posted:

I'm interested in your responses to the following hypothetical: Suppose that you have to start all over again with a new account. Which advanced class would you use your level 60 token on so that you could skip the painful leveling process and/or bad story? Why?

Commando sucked utter poo poo to level.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Medullah posted:

Hmmm looks like your new mount has some clipping issues still, Non-Entity. :D

If you personally want me to fix that, I will look at it.

or I might just cut a hole in the top for your hat.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

nonentity posted:

If you personally want me to fix that, I will look at it.

You touch my hat I'll space cut you.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

nonentity posted:

Would that be considered a bris?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

dmboogie posted:

Welp, my agent is 4 levels under what he should be.

I see many heroics in my future. :v:

How is it even possible to be underlevelled for anything? Play some PvP or something, sheesh.

CompeAnansi posted:

I wouldn't use the 60 token. The best part of the game is making a character that you think looks really cool and then watching that character say and do things in cutscenes, deciding dialogue options and making dumb little moral choices. If that does not appeal to you, leveling immediately to 60 isn't going to suddenly make the game fun.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How is it even possible to be underlevelled for anything? Play some PvP or something, sheesh.

I wouldn't use the 60 token. The best part of the game is making a character that you think looks really cool and then watching that character say and do things in cutscenes, deciding dialogue options and making dumb little moral choices. If that does not appeal to you, leveling immediately to 60 isn't going to suddenly make the game fun.

I'm actually sad that I am leveling so fast, and they appear to have cut huge chunks of the game out. Remembering playing my first character back at launch vs now, I was WAY more invested. I feel like I just got Vette, and am about to get Jaesa.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

RFC2324 posted:

I'm actually sad that I am leveling so fast, and they appear to have cut huge chunks of the game out. Remembering playing my first character back at launch vs now, I was WAY more invested. I feel like I just got Vette, and am about to get Jaesa.

Go to your map and make sure you have Exploration Missions checked in the top right corner. I don't think anything has been removed.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Go to your map and make sure you have Exploration Missions checked in the top right corner. I don't think anything has been removed.

Are the quests not even clickable with that off? Because I have run across at least 2 I clearly remember that I couldn't even click what I knew were the quest givers.

Also, I am massively overleveled enough just doing class + planet + what stuff does come up + my daily/weekly pvp quests/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Level really doesn't matter anymore. If you're overleveled the content provides XP no matter what level you are. So play at your own pace, do all the side missions you want, etc.

I honestly haven't heard of anyone who's been UNDERLEVELED since 4.0 hit. Maybe a couple levels, but not so much that they're completely screwed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

RFC2324 posted:

Are the quests not even clickable with that off?

They are not.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The last time I played the game was when non-subscribers got gently caress-all for XP, that's how! I also didn't do any heroics or anything. (I DID do every other quest though.)

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It was a weird design choice but yeah, disabling the exploration missions means you can't even talk to the NPC's. That really threw me until I figured it out. A few questgivers have been moved, a few quests have been simplified, and a whole lot of them have been hidden behind that exploration toggle, but I'm pretty sure they didn't remove any. I mean, there would be no advantage for anyone if they did.

I have ended up slightly underleveled a couple of times by doing only the class story for a little too long, but a couple rounds of heroics (in a small group) would get me so much xp (and gear, and money) that I very quickly shot past where I was supposed to be. It's fun being overleveled now, because with the level scaling you end up just slightly overpowered for your class quests, and you get to feel like a badass.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The quests they hid behind the explorable mission checkbox were hidden because they're largely garbage and they wanted the game to be as presentable as possible to new players.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Medullah posted:

Level really doesn't matter anymore. If you're overleveled the content provides XP no matter what level you are. So play at your own pace, do all the side missions you want, etc.

I honestly haven't heard of anyone who's been UNDERLEVELED since 4.0 hit. Maybe a couple levels, but not so much that they're completely screwed.

The few toons of mine that I finished their chapter 3s on years before I came back are on the cusp of being level for the content after while the rest so far after patch are at either the high range of being on level or at least a couple levels over.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it just me, or does Nar Shaddah really suck? I think I am near the end of it on the Agent side, doing most of the quests, and while I really liked Balmorra, this feels kinda like a slog.

Also, Jesus Christ Kaliyo

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it just me, or does Nar Shaddah really suck? I think I am near the end of it on the Agent side, doing most of the quests, and while I really liked Balmorra, this feels kinda like a slog.

Also, Jesus Christ Kaliyo

It's been a long time, what did Kaliyo do that time? And yeah, I've always hated Nar Shaddah, especially on Republic characters. We've been through Corucsant already, no need to go through a shittier version of it but longer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I have the worst luck in this game. The Ziost quest chain broke entirely at Monolithic. Counted as completed after the boss went down but no follow up cutscene or quest was given and now I can't really do anything on Ziost. :(

Here's hoping Customer Service can fix this nonsense. I don't know how robust their tools are for fixing busted quests.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

dmboogie posted:

It's been a long time, what did Kaliyo do that time? And yeah, I've always hated Nar Shaddah, especially on Republic characters. We've been through Corucsant already, no need to go through a shittier version of it but longer.

Well, it was around level 25, you rescue the person who saved her life, only to find out she intends to collect the bounty on said person herself.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, it was around level 25, you rescue the person who saved her life, only to find out she intends to collect the bounty on said person herself.

Oh, yeah. Thaaaaaaaaat's Kaliyo! I honestly like her a lot more than I probably should, considering I'm playing a light-side agent. Maybe it's just Stockholm syndrome from her being the only companion you get till freaking Alderaan.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

dmboogie posted:

Oh, yeah. Thaaaaaaaaat's Kaliyo! I honestly like her a lot more than I probably should, considering I'm playing a light-side agent. Maybe it's just Stockholm syndrome from her being the only companion you get till freaking Alderaan.

I am rolling light side as well, and I while I certainly do not hate her (not enough to haul along off-brand C-3P0, anyway), it certainly was...a moment.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Kurieg posted:

you can get 208 drops from Heroic star forges, but I'm not sure about anything higher.

It is just 208s, 3 guaranteed drops per run (exarch + 2 optional paladins). I had been selling the barrels/hilts on GTN for about half a million a piece prior to this, but I guess I can keep doing that now without wondering why anyone bought them.

RFC2324 posted:

I REALLY want to make gunship work, but it seems like I miss half the time whether I have them dead on or not. Its really quite frustrating.

It's probably covered in the guide but the general hit formula is Accuracy - Evasion - Tracking Penalty (if the reticle is not exactly at the center of your screen), and typically scout ships have high evasion and some evasive cooldowns so you may miss them even if your click is on-target. You can mitigate it by picking crew members with an accuracy passive and the Wingman copilot ability (large boost on a cooldown), and upgrading weapons eventually for better accuracy and tracking.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Really?

Meeting with high level Republic officials

"Yeah, this shady as gently caress plan seems great!"
Op shows up, shoots obvious traitor in the face
"FOR THE REPUBLIC!"

Everyone else
"WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU!"

"Oh, they were traitors, he's the evidence, don't have time for all your bs questions."

"....this better all check out or you'll be in trouble"

"Yeah, well they're begging me to come save the Republic Capital so good luck with that"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fuzz posted:

I found it the easiest to level, but I really enjoy the "stand there and gun everything down while it tries to get to you, also smash them in the face if they get too close" style. :shrug:

Plus, I had Elara hanging around to make sure I didn't die.

My one complaint about Elara is her name. For who knows what reason (probably brain damage), I hear the name "Dorne" in the voice of the manager from Major League. :downs:

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 25, 2015

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

This may have been covered earlier but if you have a lower level alt you're wanting to level quickly and don't want to suffer through the agonizing Pubbie Tacticals just hop in with your buds while they do Heroics.

We were running Nar Shadda last night [Infiltration shadow, guardian tank and whatever the dumb dot spec sage is] and our friend who was 21 came along. In just doing the heroics, which involves teleporting all around, she went from 21-31 in less than an hour and could have probably been asleep for all we know.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Are the servers seriously down again? This is egregious, Bioware. EGREGIOUS!

Us Aussies wanna play :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Moreau posted:

Are the servers seriously down again? This is egregious, Bioware. EGREGIOUS!

Us Aussies wanna play :(

It was a planned outrage for them to clean up the mountains of corpses that had accumulated prior to the fix yesterday.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Medullah posted:

It was a planned outrage for them to clean up the mountains of corpses that had accumulated prior to the fix yesterday.

You are correct, this is an outrage!

But drat, I'll miss the mountain of corpses. That was great. Not my fault people try and run SWTOR on a toaster!

Oh well, back to The Crazy Mis-Adventures of Jess Jones.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Moreau posted:

You are correct, this is an outrage!

But drat, I'll miss the mountain of corpses. That was great. Not my fault people try and run SWTOR on a toaster!

Oh well, back to The Crazy Mis-Adventures of Jess Jones.

Haha drat autocorrect strikes again.

Can't go wrong with Jessica Jones though. :D

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have the worst luck in this game. The Ziost quest chain broke entirely at Monolithic. Counted as completed after the boss went down but no follow up cutscene or quest was given and now I can't really do anything on Ziost. :(

Here's hoping Customer Service can fix this nonsense. I don't know how robust their tools are for fixing busted quests.

Yeah some quests have been glitchy. Friend of mine and I did a heroic on hoth, and it got stuck at 5/6 completion, but we got he reward. It just wouldn't go away and we couldn't drop it. Relogging fixed that much at least.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

Medullah posted:

Man...I don't know how many times I have to say this in this thread, and I'm sorry I'm gonna scream here :D

:siren:Your gear does not matter one bit for story mode raiding:siren:. You can literally walk into a SM raid wearing the gear you got at level 10 when you chose your advanced class and as long as you've got a dps mainhand and offhand and queued as DPS, your gear will be bolstered to an appropriate level for the Story Mode raiding. Never let gear be a factor for story mode raiding. If you don't want to raid, don't raid. SM raiding is about learning the mechanics and seeing the general story of the raid, and gearing up for Hard Mode raiding. Gear doesn't matter. :)

This is indeed true. I'll provide the following anecdote:

About fourteen days ago, I created an operative. I ran through the Hutta class missions, got Kaliyo and buggered off to the Fleet.

Work began to require more of my time, but in way that required only enough attention that I could still just run Black Talon over and over and over. I did this mostly to farm affection for Kaliyo, but also to just do something while on some tedious conference calls. I collected a whole set of green quality level 15 Huttese Letharis. Yay?

About a week ago, Medullah asked if anyone wanted to run a Foundry tactical. I said yes, at level 37, in the same drat gear I collected from Black Talon during mind-numbing work sessions. "Make health bars go up" he said. I made health bars go up. I was surprised I didn't act as a deadweight. Yet, it worked and worked well. Or at least well enough that the kolto stations were used a fair amount.

Nevertheless, it IS doable in poo poo gear. I suppose the trick is just knowing what you're supposed to do. In my case it was "Make health bars go up".

Edit: That tactical provided me with some obviously substantial upgrades.

Corzen fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 25, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah some quests have been glitchy. Friend of mine and I did a heroic on hoth, and it got stuck at 5/6 completion, but we got he reward. It just wouldn't go away and we couldn't drop it. Relogging fixed that much at least.

Yeah I'm just kind of paranoid at this point they won't be able to restore my quest in any way, thus screwing me out of the remainder of the Ziost quest chain. That would be...upsetting to say the least, especially since Ziost was actually good.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, Ziost was good, which made me annoyed that I apparently missed out on quests that only existed in a one time instanced area.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, Ziost was good, which made me annoyed that I apparently missed out on quests that only existed in a one time instanced area.

Thats what alts are for. :)

There's a quest that rewards a speeder while doing KOTFE that is easy to miss too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Did I miss a patch note somewhere that removed repair costs from tactical FPs? I'm noticing that I have 0 repair costs after running FPs now.

• Locked thread