Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The bungling with the refugee numbers and budget doesn't seem to be changing hearts. The LPC supporters don't seem too bothered about the changes and the extension while the anti-refugee crowd are now whining about the costs instead of the "safety issues."

In other news an anti-radicalization center was inaugurated a few days ago in Montreal. Has the debate about the ethics of imprisoning homeless, mentally ill junkies who get convinced into clumsily building a bomb over? There has been talk about a centre like this handling a parole program for convicted extremist. Something like that could be a sort of middle ground between harsh prison sentences and out-patient mental health treatment.
http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/montreal-anti-radicalization-centre-considers-prison-parole-system-for-extremists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think its funny how the Sun was all "Refugees? More like sneaky teerrorists!' yesterday, and then today its all "yay Refugees welcome to Canada! Here's a double double and some poutine!".

The Sun is the worst.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

The Sun is the worst.

Water wet, sky blue, Rogers terrible.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ikantski posted:

The NP article stated he's now committing to 15,000 government sponsorships with 10,000 private sponsorships instead of 25,000 government sponsorships? The campaign promise was 25,000 government sponsored which would add to the private sponsorships. Now it's 15,000 government plus the private sponsorships. This should be easier to explain than the middle class tax cut.

Put another way, it's the exact same logic that Harper used to say he brought in 2,300 refugees and everybody got mad at him because only 200 were government sponsored.

Yeah this.

I don't care if it takes longer than two months, but I'll be really disappointed if the number goes down substantially given even 25k is a pathetically small number for what a country like Canada could support.

Albino Squirrel posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/alison-redford-chose-last-ranked-legal-consortium-for-alberta-s-10b-tobacco-litigation-1.3331001

Alison Redford, as justice minister, had to choose one of three legal groups to represent the province in its tobacco suit. Option 3 was eliminated before the brief crossed her desk. At some point, option 3 was reinstated and wound up getting the $10b contract.

One of the partners in the lead firm from option 3 was her ex-husband, with whom she's still close.

Also this type of stuff is loving awful awful awful and should result in serious jail time but of course won't.

e: I do wonder if it could result in lawsuits by the other two law firms though.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 24, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

crowoutofcontext posted:

The bungling with the refugee numbers and budget doesn't seem to be changing hearts. The LPC supporters don't seem too bothered about the changes and the extension while the anti-refugee crowd are now whining about the costs instead of the "safety issues."

According to the Social Justice Warrior strawman they've constructed, we're all supposed to flip out and set our hair on fire because the government's deadline for 25k refugees slipped a bit. But actual people who actually care about SJ aren't too fussed about the timing, as long as we're taking our share of refugees. Which is a lot more than we were taking under Harper. It's fun to watch the anti-SJ guys' brains breaking over and over again.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 24, 2015

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Good god Redford is the absolute worst.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
New Goon Project. Buying this.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't have any worked book for tomorrow yet, maybe I'll practice my tasteful nude watercolors instead of the Skylanders my nephew wants...

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Think I'll have to pass on that one.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Put it on display on the wall in the front reception area of the Foreign Affairs building.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011

Ikantski posted:

The NP article stated he's now committing to 15,000 government sponsorships with 10,000 private sponsorships instead of 25,000 government sponsorships? The campaign promise was 25,000 government sponsored which would add to the private sponsorships. Now it's 15,000 government plus the private sponsorships. This should be easier to explain than the middle class tax cut.

Put another way, it's the exact same logic that Harper used to say he brought in 2,300 refugees and everybody got mad at him because only 200 were government sponsored.

It's the same logic, and it's mildly disappointing, but the difference between one tenth being government-sponsored and 3/5ths being government-sponsored is significant. The real disappointment is if this lowering of expectations extends into how many we take in over a longer period of time, whether this is the slow reveal of a new Liberal strategy towards refugees, or just an admission that they bit off slightly more than they could chew and promised more than was feasible for the time span.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Oh look, Charbonneau commission's report is out, and would you believe that corruption in the Quebec construction industry is "far more widespread than originally believed"?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Dark One posted:

Oh look, Charbonneau commission's report is out, and would you believe that corruption in the Quebec construction industry is "far more widespread than originally believed"?

I believe that construction companies operating in Quebec are literally fronts for the mafia.

Is it worse than that?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

AlouetteNR posted:

It's the same logic, and it's mildly disappointing, but the difference between one tenth being government-sponsored and 3/5ths being government-sponsored is significant. The real disappointment is if this lowering of expectations extends into how many we take in over a longer period of time, whether this is the slow reveal of a new Liberal strategy towards refugees, or just an admission that they bit off slightly more than they could chew and promised more than was feasible for the time span.

It's better than the conservatives for sure but I still would have preferred the more realistic party.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-chris-alexander-refugees-1.3235415

quote:

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair has said on the campaign trail that a New Democratic government would resettle 10,000 Syrians before the end of the year and 46,000 by 2019. He has also stressed the need for more Canadian immigration officials to be on the ground in the Middle East.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Well, 25k Syrian refugees by the new year is the first broken promise on TrudeauMetre, and it only happens to be the one that involves immediately helping people in need, so good job. Libs gonna lib.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
On the one hand, there's no way anyone could've anticipated poo poo going down in Paris and making the refugee crisis so much more politically complicated.

On the other hand,

Kafka Esq. posted:

Libs gonna lib.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Well, Trudeau said that the delay is justified because they "want to get it right."

If we wanted you to get it "right" at the expense of real human beings, we'd have voted Conservative.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It technically fits the definition of a broken promise but since they are actually making a sincere effort and it will only be a two month delay, I am inclined to not judge them too harshly about it.

If February turns into June and only two thousand are here, then the chants of "Libs gonna lib" will ring a little less hollow.

I voted for Kodos.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Of all the things to overpromise and underdeliver this is like the least bad one and they're still much better than the official opposition.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-tuesday-edition-1.3333596

Refugees: Goodale/Rempel
The government reveals its amended plan for bringing twenty-five thousand Syrian refugees to Canada -- including who'll be brought in, and who'll be left out.

I swear Rempel deflects everything, even when the hosts rightfully call her out saying Harper proposed the same plan, but somehow now its not secure enough for her. Goodale at least answers questions, albeit hiding from the tough ones.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
I seem to remember, although now I can't seem to find any articles online about this so I might be wrong, one of the major Liberal arguments during the election for why the 'end of 2015' deadline wasn't arbitrary and pushing it back due to security concerns wasn't a compassionate option was due to how much refugees would suffer in camps with poor conditions through the winter weather. I'm wondering if that'll come up as a criticism against them from either of the opposition parties now.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

Well, Trudeau said that the delay is justified because they "want to get it right."

If we wanted you to get it "right" at the expense of real human beings, we'd have voted Conservative.

The conservatives were proposing to resettle vastly fewer people, so no.

Of all the things to get upset about, the Liberals adding a few months onto the timeline for bringing 25,000 refugees into Canada is the least my of worries.

Edit: just saw the new timeline: 10,000 by Dec 31, remainder by March 2016. You guys are seriously bent out of shape because the government added 3 whole months? Jesus christ.

M.McFly fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 25, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
That thing needs to be tagged, cause I'm pretty sure I just lost some brain cells reading that quote.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Is that real? Please tell me that's fake and not real. You would have to be some sort of satanic individual to actually do that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Is that real? Please tell me that's fake and not real. You would have to be some sort of satanic individual to actually do that.

Your new friendly conservative party

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
She posted it on her Twitter and is defending it now, it's real. Is there any basis to what she's saying? There has to be, no one can be that stupid.

I have heartburn now. I think I need a break from current affairs.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Ming the Merciless posted:

There has to be, no one can be that stupid.

lmao

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So, just to clarify, this is in fact what I think it is? The Conservative Party basically gave the Liberals a broken care and are now trying to argue that the Liberals broke it, yes?

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
This is the article she is quoting in her defence: http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/the-liberals-deficit-claim-doesnt-add-up/ someone parse this for me, I'm having the tiniest meltdown and can't judge where the truth lies.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

So, just to clarify, this is in fact what I think it is? The Conservative Party basically gave the Liberals a broken care and are now trying to argue that the Liberals broke it, yes?

Republican Exit Strategy #1

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 2, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ming the Merciless posted:

This is the article she is quoting in her defence: http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/the-liberals-deficit-claim-doesnt-add-up/ someone parse this for me, I'm having the tiniest meltdown and can't judge where the truth lies.

tl;dr Interest rates are worse and EI claims are up

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

She looks like some sort of frightening being which cannot be adequately described by any language humanity possesses, and I should say that I take offence that you have forced me to view the projection of this being from beyond Hell itself into two-dimensional space.

That thing's pallid visage shall haunt my dreams tonight.

EDIT: Dear lord, it's trying to look straight into my very being!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 25, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Did the average Conservative voter even truly believe in the surplus? I mean, at the very best I think that they would have only been able to produce a Technical Surplus...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The CHMC is apparently to blame for that drop in "Other Revenues." There's also a bit of front loading of pension obligations for future years, probably because the Libs don't expect anyone looking at their books to seriously believe the Conservative surplus is truthful and figure they can bury a little bit of poop during the honeymoon period.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

It happens whenever there's a Conservative -> Liberal government transition these days. The Conservatives say they left a surplus, the Liberals come in and say there's a hidden deficit, and no one's quite sure who to believe because both of those things play into both parties' hands. The Eves -> McGuinty handover in Ontario in 2003 apparently had a $5B hidden deficit, so it could be worse.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

vyelkin posted:

It happens whenever there's a Conservative -> Liberal government transition these days. The Conservatives say they left a surplus, the Liberals come in and say there's a hidden deficit, and no one's quite sure who to believe because both of those things play into both parties' hands. The Eves -> McGuinty handover in Ontario in 2003 apparently had a $5B hidden deficit, so it could be worse.

isn't this just revised projections though? Those change month to month, it was irresponsible of the Cons to announce they - would- run a surplus, that's not something you can usually figure out ahead of time like that, only check for afterwards. It was a desperate gambit for votes really. This is just nakedly partisan agitation, only really stupid to boot

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

isn't this just revised projections though? Those change month to month, it was irresponsible of the Cons to announce they - would- run a surplus, that's not something you can usually figure out ahead of time like that, only check for afterwards. It was a desperate gambit for votes really. This is just nakedly partisan agitation, only really stupid to boot

From the Macleans article

quote:

Long-term interest rates are used in the valuations of the Government’s liabilities for employee pensions and other future benefits. While the total pension and benefit obligation of the Government has not changed, lower projected interest rates result in relatively more of these costs being recognized in the near term rather than the future.

It seems like the Liberals are thinking (praying?) interest rates will stay low for longer than the cons or PBO were. They are the Toronto home buyers of political parties. It really is just partisan agitation, both for the Liberals to say the Cons lied and hid a deficit without saying what they lied about and for the Cons to imply the Libs spent 4.4b already. It's stupid. Even stupider is the constant pretending that a hypothetical small future deficit or surplus matters. Whether we subtract 1 or add 3 to our $600 billion debt affects pretty much nobody.

In other news, Mulcair has done me a favor and told me not to get my hopes up for the 2019 election.

quote:

Despite losing his position as the leader of the Official Opposition and dropping back to third place in the past election, Thomas Mulcair vows to stay on as the leader of the NDP and fight the next election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
mulcair u fuckin schween