Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The gameplay in Conkers is insanely bad. Theres a few levels that are just terrible to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

whaley posted:

where is the rest of the gun behind his head

ever hear of a sawn-off ??

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

whaley posted:

where is the rest of the gun behind his head

It got cut off by all the edge in this thread

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Is "Conker's Bad Fur Day kind of sucks" an edgy opinion?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nah, it kind of does. It's got certain segments that are really good but overall it's pretty disjointed and a lot of the gimmicks don't work that well and most of the jokes aren't really funny if you're older than 20 and are not in the late nineties.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
it's an okay 3d platformer on a system with no shortage of 3d platformers. the only things it really has going for it are the technical achievements in terms of pushing the n64 hardware to its absolute limit, and the shock value of a cartoony platformer on a nintendo system having poo jokes and swearing.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Yeah, Conker is more technically impressive than anything else, the game itself was full of bullshit gotcha deaths and wonky as hell controls.

Multiplayer still owned though

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What does the word edgy mean

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

What does the word edgy mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPWrHPNekvE

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm here

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

please do not mock this literal work of art

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Conker's Bad Fur Day was insanely cool when I played it when I was like 14

Now?

I dunno

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sharrrk posted:

i'm here

:kamina:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4cJh2YgrKE

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Mario is trying to get on on those good deals

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

greatn posted:

Nah, it kind of does. It's got certain segments that are really good but overall it's pretty disjointed and a lot of the gimmicks don't work that well and most of the jokes aren't really funny if you're older than 20 and are not in the late nineties.

It's okay at the beginning when it's a middling platformer, but nosedives into poo poo town when it starts trying to be a third person shooter for some reason toward the end.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

greatn posted:

Which N64 Rare game are you describing here

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thank you for posting this i am very excited to watch it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fry's Black Friday deals, in-store only:

-32GB Splatoon/Smash bundle with $20 gift card for $250
-Buy 2, get 1 free on all Wii U games

http://images.frys.com/art/deals/blackfriday-cybermonday-2015/bfdeals.html

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Awesome! posted:

thank you for posting this i am very excited to watch it

It's unsurprisingly very touching. I enjoyed learning that Iwata used to think of Miyamoto as a rival.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

oddium posted:

who said it isn't

thread title isn't "cute games for cute gamers", it's no longer canonical

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Jarogue posted:

Actually he's just thinking unclean thoughts about Diddy.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jarogue posted:

I'd be getting that WiiU deal Mario, it's a loving steal.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Looper posted:

Which N64 Rare game are you describing here

don't you dare talk poo poo about Banjo Kazooie. I'm not going to stand for it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'll give people Conker, Dk64, and Maybe Jet Force Gemini for being rough in many areas, but Rare had the most solid output for a Nintendo Console of the era and none of Nintendo's past or current second parties have been able to match their output.

Because even if you remove those three games which at worst were just average you still have Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, and others.

If Nintendo had a Rare-esque developer for the Wii-U they would not be so eager to replace it with the NX. And no Retro doesn't fit they just did one single game for the system.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
They made the Country games on the SNES as well, which despite looking pretty bad today were a huge techincal accomplishment at the time. They're also pretty loving good platformers, although my one gripe is that it's a little unclear where hit boxes end and begin due to the visual style.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'll give people Conker, Dk64, and Maybe Jet Force Gemini for being rough in many areas, but Rare had the most solid output for a Nintendo Console of the era and none of Nintendo's past or current second parties have been able to match their output.

Because even if you remove those three games which at worst were just average you still have Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, and others.

If Nintendo had a Rare-esque developer for the Wii-U they would not be so eager to replace it with the NX. And no Retro doesn't fit they just did one single game for the system.

Banjo Tooie is almost as garbage as DK64 and Jet Force Gemini is better than Goldeneye

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jet Force Gemini and Goldeneye are both garbage

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wooooo! Edgyyyyy! Yeah! Edgy!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wooooo! Edgyyyyy! Yeah! Edgy!

Both control like poo poo, nothing edgy about it.

Goldeneye was released the same year as loving Quake 2.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Andrast posted:

Both control like poo poo, nothing edgy about it.

I've never played either game, I was making fun of the woo edgy guy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

i'm going to play all these games when i get home, plus viva piñata

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

jet force gemini's controls were an abomination, as was that framerate. it was an interesting idea for Rare to try but the N64 just couldn't handle that poo poo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Andrast posted:

Both control like poo poo

I'd say it's unfair to compare a console FPS to a PC one, especially when the latter was made by actual industry experts on the genre.

No denying though that Jet Force Gemini controls were total garbage. I don't have a Xbone to confirm but I heard Rare actually fixed JFG's controls on their big compilation of games, which if true would make that game the actual classic people claim it is.

Rare really went out in a lovely note, though. Being bought by Microsoft, making a bunch of games nobody wants to remember (being Viva Pinata the only notable one), until they became a complete non-identity as more and more of their founders left. But it's the thing with the industry: most if not all the middle sized companies seem to fizzle and die at some point due to a bunch of circumstances.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never played either game, I was making fun of the woo edgy guy.

Thanks, dad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Thanks, dad.
I'm going to change your avatar to U2 guitarist The Edge.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

change the bull's word bubble to say like "good game ?? Bad" and the av text to "Woo, edgy" thanks

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oddium posted:

change the bull's word bubble to say like "good game ?? Bad" and the av text to "Woo, edgy" thanks
I'm pretty sure the font Gunnerkrigg uses, called Wenches and Ale, costs money.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

No denying though that Jet Force Gemini controls were total garbage. I don't have a Xbone to confirm but I heard Rare actually fixed JFG's controls on their big compilation of games, which if true would make that game the actual classic people claim it is.

The fixed controls are apparently almost as bad.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure the font Gunnerkrigg uses, called Wenches and Ale, costs money.

what th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm going to change your avatar to U2 guitarist The Edge.

Make it WWE Edge holding an amiibo and you got a deal.

Andrast posted:

The fixed controls are apparently almost as bad.

Well, gently caress. So much for that.

• Locked thread