Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

cat doter posted:

the extra stuff on PC kinda changes how the whole game is played rather than just the endgame

there's no controller support though so if you wanna lounge it up, which is a great way to play that game, then get the ps4 version

oh huh, are there any comparisons about what's different on PC?

here's a neat article on how the Dreamfall Chapters dudes nearly destroyed their studio updating their engine. Seems like it has a happy ending though https://medium.com/@ragso/dreamfall-chapters-extreme-makeover-edition-or-the-rocky-road-to-unity-5-48e1f22ea62#.hfj9m7wls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GNU Order posted:

but it's free video games

Seeing dumb people post on like reddit or whatever that they're upset that PS+ isn't full of AAA titles or whatever is always funny also. Grumble grumble it's all indie games bah

Why wouldn't anyone have a negative opinion of PS+ if it gave them free good games before and now gives them Steam Greenlight specials

People would be a lot madder if their $10 a month was going solely to support Sony's pathetic online infrastructure

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

i've gotten a lot of rad stuff through PS+:

- Apotheon (actually maybe one of my GOTY contenders??? highly, highly underrated game)
- Guacamelee
- Pix the Cat
- OlliOlli 2
- Motherfucking Rocket League
- The Unfinished Swan

plus a bunch of games I plan to go back and play like Never Alone, The Swapper, Super Time Force Ultra, Valiant Hearts, Sound Shapes, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, inFamous First Light, Injustice, Ether One, Dust...

it's a good service if you want to add to your backlog and like weird indie games, idk

I was really looking forward to Apotheon but ended up hating it. The controls in that game are a mess and the level design is poor. Also I felt the voice acting actively detracted from the aesthetic.

abraham linksys posted:

oh huh, are there any comparisons about what's different on PC?

here's a neat article on how the Dreamfall Chapters dudes nearly destroyed their studio updating their engine. Seems like it has a happy ending though https://medium.com/@ragso/dreamfall-chapters-extreme-makeover-edition-or-the-rocky-road-to-unity-5-48e1f22ea62#.hfj9m7wls

That's cool! I'm not caught up yet, but Dreamfall Chapters is one of my faves of the year for sure. That first episode was rough as hell technically, which probably turned off a lot of people (including everyone in this thread IIRC), but they fixed it up and it looks and runs great, Ragnar Tørnquist is still one of the most talented writers in games IMO

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 25, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I forgot to even look at the PS+ freebies for the last few months. I think I should probably just cancel PS+.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Noxville posted:

Free games*

*$9.99 per month

I'm pretty sure a 12-month subscription is like $4 per month, it's not literally free games and the quality of the game does vary but at the end of the day it's still very good value.

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde
I'm glad they've held dreamfall together. I'm pretty into all of those games and I backed that kickstarter at a cheapish tier. I'd actually have put a bit more into it once they announced they were expanding their scope and some time had passed (and again I would be quite happy offsetting their engine upgrade costs a little right now), but I don't think they ever gave anyone the opportunity.

I liked the first two episodes, holding off like I did with Life is Strange for the rest, I think. Heard some pretty negative stuff about that third chapter, but I'm sure it'll still be charming enough for me, it's not like the original dreamfall was in any way flawless, but I still look back at it fondly.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I have high doubts you are a duke, let alone a templar

The validity of this document is suspect

i am probably descended from a duke somewhere in my lineage, and probably also have some of the cloth in my family too, so I am basically both by blood but not by inheritance or decision

i am a carl tho. I got the good initials in life, C.J.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kanfy posted:

I'm pretty sure a 12-month subscription is like $4 per month, it's not literally free games and the quality of the game does vary but at the end of the day it's still very good value.

Oh sure but the point is they're not free, they're given as a sop to stop you being annoyed at having to pay for Sony's crappy online service.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Hearts of Stone is an insanely good dlc probably the best dlc I've ever played. That ending man.

agreed. the characterisation in that DLC, as well as the production values were superb.

If the GB team do not play all of the Witcher 3, then they should at the very least play Heart of Stone since you can take a prefab character into it. It is the best contained story I have played all year.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I was really looking forward to Apotheon but ended up hating it. The controls in that game are a mess and the level design is poor. Also I felt the voice acting actively detracted from the aesthetic.

I loved the voice acting in a hammy way but yeah, couldn't enjoy many other aspects besides the aesthetic. The UI sucks and the combat is interesting but not terribly well designed. I hope those people do another game though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Noxville posted:

Oh sure but the point is they're not free, they're given as a sop to stop you being annoyed at having to pay for Sony's crappy online service.

Nah, PS+ had been doing same thing for a long time before it became required for online, the monthly games have been around for like five years or somesuch by now. The selection has been a bit weak recently for sure, but overall there has been a whole lot of great games available.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Looking at a list, IMO the only real worthwhile PS+ release in 2015 was Rocket League, not counting good games that came out on PC two+ years prior. I guess if I didn't play a ton of Destiny I wouldn't be happy with my subscription either.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

In a similar vein, I couldn't enjoy Jotun. I really enjoyed everything except playing that game. Everything felt just a bit too sluggish and I didn't find it well designed at all. When doing movement stuff or attacking it feels like they freeze you in animations longer than they should. You feel like you should be able to move but you're just stuck for a fraction of a second

In the boss fights it's really frustrating since they try to have their really tight difficulty but you just end up fighting the game itself. There was one boss I just hated because the boss does a ground target attack that gets faster and faster as the fight goes on, blinding you and taking off like a quarter of your health when it hits. The boss splits in two halfway through and both can cast the spell at the same time and make it extremely hard to dodge. Did I mention the game doesn't seem to have any invincibility frames at all?

It doesn't help some of the level design in normal levels can be fairly tedious, lot of running around fairly slowly solving simple but long puzzles. It's like they wanted to be a Souls game, but misunderstood what makes those games feel good. There's a lot of animation frames, but it still feels fluid and snappy. It's a shame because the presentation of that game is top notch in every aspect.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I probably enjoyed Jotun more than most people would since there are so few games about Norse mythology and that game is maybe the best one, ever. I think it's much better than Titan Souls but yeah it's also kind of tedious and sluggish.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ramagamma posted:

seriously sick?

I know middle aged women who go to the doctors for anti-biotics at the first sign of a cold.

But colds are caused by viruses?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But colds are caused by viruses?

The fact that people (even loving doctors, who should know better) use/prescribe anti-biotics for viral infection is one big reason why we have the problems with multi-resistant bacteria. The other is the crazy amount used routinely in industrial livestock factories.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Miley Virus posted:

I loved the voice acting in a hammy way but yeah, couldn't enjoy many other aspects besides the aesthetic. The UI sucks and the combat is interesting but not terribly well designed. I hope those people do another game though.

that's all fair. I wasn't expecting anything out of the gameplay, though, as someone who doesn't even really like platformers very much to begin with, so I ended up being having a lot more fun with it than I expected. And the style and look of that game really carried me through to the end - there is some really clever stuff in there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IpHudOaY9E

I had a very similar reaction to Guacamelee. That game theoretically has a lot more going on its combat, but the way it was segmented into rooms just got incredibly stale by the last half of the game, to the point that I had very little interest in doing any of the postgame/optional challenges. Wonderful art and character design, though, and a hell of a soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcGfhlgJkIk

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I had similar feelings about Guacamelee, though I think that game is better just by virtue of not having those wonky physics-based controls. The completely quadratic level design really bored me.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
How to get good game reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8_YUt2QOCs

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
i forget which one it is, but there is an antibiotic that smells exactly like farts

like you open the bottle and it's as if those pills have just been tootin lil farts all day

E: cephalexin, that's the one

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The joke was better a decade ago when it was an actual joke done by funny people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZKoTfY84sU

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

See I like Guacamelee a lot. Discount the posters in that main town, of course. I did a lot of the challenge stuff in that game. I also dug the art style and music the whole way through. Combat was probably the weakest part but it was fun enough.
http://slimedrippings.tumblr.com/gamefaqssort I guess this is a thing that tries to make a personal ranking by asking you which game is better out of two (out of the 128 games in the GameFAQs contest, so there's some weird franchise/genre bias). It said it'd ask 127 to 448 questions but it asked me 511 so I guess I'm really hard. Here's my top 30 for you to yell at me over:

Seems pretty accurate I guess. Some stuff is different than where I'd put it if I was doing it personally but it's largely accurate.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Miley Virus posted:

See I like Guacamelee a lot. Discount the posters in that main town, of course. I did a lot of the challenge stuff in that game. I also dug the art style and music the whole way through. Combat was probably the weakest part but it was fun enough.
http://slimedrippings.tumblr.com/gamefaqssort I guess this is a thing that tries to make a personal ranking by asking you which game is better out of two (out of the 128 games in the GameFAQs contest, so there's some weird franchise/genre bias). It said it'd ask 127 to 448 questions but it asked me 511 so I guess I'm really hard. Here's my top 30 for you to yell at me over:

Seems pretty accurate I guess. Some stuff is different than where I'd put it if I was doing it personally but it's largely accurate.

tetris motherfucker

e; somehow it ranked oblivion higher for me than ocarina which is dumb and it literally never asked me about shadow of the colussus, meaning it took joint 126th with undertale. thing is busted imo.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Ramagamma posted:

do anti biotics taste good?

they sound like they'd taste of bananas

You should try metronidazole, it tastes like rainbows

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Apparently 999 is my most 28th most favorite game despite never once saying I liked it over something.

The fact that it's even included on a top list of games is some serious Grade A weeabo poo poo.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Looks about right to me. And yes, I think Banjo-Kazooie is better than Mario 64.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sorta accurate, but the list doesn't have Thief or DOOM on it so it's automatically invalid. Would maybe switch around 1 and 2 also, I think I misclicked there.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 25, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

That Gobbo posted:

Looks about right to me. And yes, I think Banjo-Kazooie is better than Mario 64.

seek help

seriously tho, the algorithm on that thing can't be right, it skips quite a few games. I think it might select things as choices based on some sort of genre system, which is a pretty bad idea which means it might skip some things you like because it happened to be a JRPG and you had said you didn't like a certain amount of JRPGs. You won't believe how many lovely FF games I had to tell it that I preferred W3 over.

Also, "I think the same" seems like it might take a game out of the running.

e; it never asked me about planescape torment either, or journey, or uncharted 2. it asked me about phoenix wright like 200 times tho, and every time the answer was the same.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Another Person posted:

seek help

seriously tho, the algorithm on that thing can't be right, it skips quite a few games. I think it might select things as choices based on some sort of genre system, which is a pretty bad idea which means it might skip some things you like because it happened to be a JRPG and you had said you didn't like a certain amount of JRPGs. You won't believe how many lovely FF games I had to tell it that I preferred W3 over.

Also, "I think the same" seems like it might take a game out of the running.

e; it never asked me about planescape torment either, or journey, or uncharted 2. it asked me about phoenix wright like 200 times tho, and every time the answer was the same.

Weird, it asked me about everything at least once. It must hate you.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Miley Virus posted:

Weird, it asked me about everything at least once. It must hate you.

You got 511 questions. I got something like 300.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

got a ticket to see Oneohtrix Point Never in March, so thanks for that recommendation, thread

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
It only asked me one question about Bayonetta 2, but the top 10 is pretty much spot on.

Also got a bunch of questions about Final Fantasy games, it could do with a "I haven't played this game" choice as well.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

My pc can't run the witcher 3 consistently at 60 fps at medium :( Is it better to play at low settings at 60 or high settings locked at 30 for the purposes of gameplay?

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Arcella posted:

It only asked me one question about Bayonetta 2, but the top 10 is pretty much spot on.

Also got a bunch of questions about Final Fantasy games, it could do with a "I haven't played this game" choice as well.

I think that ends up being pick the one you have played or the middle option if neither. That's not ideal, "I haven't played this game" should just remove it from the rankings altogether.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Optimus Subprime posted:

My pc can't run the witcher 3 consistently at 60 fps at medium :( Is it better to play at low settings at 60 or high settings locked at 30 for the purposes of gameplay?

Well, do you prefer higher visual fidelity or framerate? it's just a preference in this case since Witcher 3 doesn't really require 60 FPS.

Personally I would go with the higher FPS.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

got a ticket to see Oneohtrix Point Never in March, so thanks for that recommendation, thread

jealous son

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

he's got more dates! http://pointnever.com/live

though you're in Manchester, right (unless I have you mixed up with someone else)? that's... far-ish from London, isn't it

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I've been stalling at mgs3 vs bayo 2 for a full minute

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Optimus Subprime posted:

if i couldnt even get medium at 60 id probably prefer a locked 30 on high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

All things considered it's fairly accurate? There's games that I don't think should be in that quiz at all like Borderlands or Splatoon, and no list of my own favorites can really lack Soul Nomad, Fate Stay Night, DOOM, Serious Sam... but what they've got is mostly ordered correctly.

Though that said when it gets down to the wire how the gently caress am I supposed to pick between Planescape and MGS3, or Deus Ex and New Vegas? poo poo's brutal yo.

• Locked thread