Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I got quitcanned today.

Basically I got pulled into a meeting over an issue that I'd requested escalation in for an onsite engineer but never received a response from on the appropriate team. It was approaching the end of my shift so I handed it off to the next shift coming in to pass off. Apparently they didn't pass it off or put it in, and the issue never got escalated and the client got mad because the ball was dropped.

Basically their version of events was I never did anything for this person. Long story short, I did not back down and was fired for insubordination. gently caress this week.

Shouldn't the ticket system log prove your story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

It really is.

:swoon:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Long story short, I did not back down and was fired for insubordination. gently caress this week.

Does anyone who uses that word know what it means?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nah, he got a half-caf latte so I'm guessing it was a fancy espresso machine.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I got quitcanned today.

Basically I got pulled into a meeting over an issue that I'd requested escalation in for an onsite engineer but never received a response from on the appropriate team. It was approaching the end of my shift so I handed it off to the next shift coming in to pass off. Apparently they didn't pass it off or put it in, and the issue never got escalated and the client got mad because the ball was dropped.

Basically their version of events was I never did anything for this person. Long story short, I did not back down and was fired for insubordination. gently caress this week.

What state do you work in? Just want to make sure I'm not that client, cause I bitched to our sales rep when a ticket I put in was never followed up on.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GreenNight posted:

What state do you work in? Just want to make sure I'm not that client, cause I bitched to our sales rep when a ticket I put in was never followed up on.

You monster.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I got quitcanned today.

You might want to check your wife's phone records.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

ymgve posted:

Shouldn't the ticket system log prove your story?

My ticket log ends at "Escalation requested" approximately 10 minutes before the end of my shift. Apparently I'm supposed to sit on it until the 30 minute mark regardless of all other circumstances like needing to catch a train home or be forced to take a cab.

Thanks Ants posted:

Does anyone who uses that word know what it means?

Never.

EDIT:

spog posted:

You might want to check your wife's phone records.

I don't have a wife, nor kids.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 25, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ticket comes in
"X is down, this is affecting production, we need this done asap"

*assigns ticket to engineering*

"5 minutes later - WE HAVE LOST A X DOLLARS WE NEED AN UPDATE"

ok guy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also today

lots of tickets come in

SKYPE CRASHING

cool did you see the IT comm we sent out to the whole company and also the big red letters at the top of the ticketing system that say we know X patch broke stuff, dont make another ticket follow Y ticket

but yea, everyone file a ticket

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eonwe posted:

ticket comes in
"X is down, this is affecting production, we need this done asap"

*assigns ticket to engineering*

"5 minutes later - WE HAVE LOST A X DOLLARS WE NEED AN UPDATE"

ok guy

I love this. I always reply

Update: Issue is ongoing, resolutions are forthcoming. ETA: Unknown.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I got quitcanned today.

That sucks but hopefully you can :yotj: into what hopefully is a less stupid place.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I got quitcanned today.

I've never been fired*, but when I inevitably do, it's gonna be something like this.

* I was "fired" when I gave my boss the ultimatum of returning me to full-time hours or letting me go.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 25, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
A laptop came in.

User said the machine was display text oddly upon bootup, which they confirmed by sending me a picture. No big deal, laptop is within warranty so we'll just forward it on to the manufacturer when we get it in and they'll sort it out for us no problem.

Looks good so far, guys!

"Yeah let's just stuff it in a USPS box with air bubble filler protecting only the bottom of the machine, what could possibly go wrong!" :rolleyes:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sheep posted:

A laptop came in.

User said the machine was display text oddly upon bootup, which they confirmed by sending me a picture. No big deal, laptop is within warranty so we'll just forward it on to the manufacturer when we get it in and they'll sort it out for us no problem.

Looks good so far, guys!

"Yeah let's just stuff it in a USPS box with air bubble filler protecting only the bottom of the machine, what could possibly go wrong!" :rolleyes:

So what you're saying is "It was like that when I got it"? Yeah, right :colbert:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I've got a stack of old Vista machines in the corner if I need to channel some rage, actually :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

A QA position opened up

Someone slipped and submitted a resume + cover letter.

:ohdear:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A QA position opened up

Someone slipped and submitted a resume + cover letter.

:ohdear:

Good luck!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

All Mr.Coffee's come with built in botnets that hijack Keurigs on the same network and force the lcd screens to read "gently caress you"

I looked up the tech manual to our coffee maker to see if I could do this, but sadly there's no option to change the display messages. I can, however:
- block certain products from being brewed
- increase/decrease the percentage of water used while making coffee
- view how many times a product has been made (I had a minor :toot: when we hit 20k total)

I didn't want to be too much of an rear end in a top hat to most of the company though, so I just changed the display language every day for a week. :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Merijn posted:

I looked up the tech manual to our coffee maker to see if I could do this, but sadly there's no option to change the display messages. I can, however:
- block certain products from being brewed

I have to ask why anyone would want that feature.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

spog posted:

gently caress anyone who wants decaf

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Merijn posted:

I didn't want to be too much of an rear end in a top hat to most of the company though, so I just changed the display language every day for a week. :v:
I'm kind of sad that printers nowadays have big graphical touch displays that you can't easily modify the message on. Back when the fanciest printers we had were Laserjets with 20x4 alphanumerical displays I used to make them read
--------------------
    INSERT  COIN
     CREDITS: 0
--------------------

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Today a digger-driver learned it's a bad idea to ignore the orange "Fiber cable below this ribbon"-ribbons that are located 1 meter above said fiber cables. Not to mention the fact that they're required by law to request schematics with cable and pipe locations from the municipality before they start digging.

The end result is: One school without any access to phones or data lines. One digger-driver being fined for ignoring warning lables (good thing it wasn't gas or power). One company being fined for not requesting schematics. The same company getting the bill for restoring a broken fiber connection at Emergency Callout rates.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

That's like 30k before fines. Hope you have enough slack in the late me to make the repair!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Can't they just splice in new fiber?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

bobmarleysghost posted:

3rd party fucks up due to negligence? Nail 'em to the loving wall.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

bobmarleysghost posted:

That's what they do. If they had to put down a new fiber all the way you'd add a couple of zeroes to those 30k.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

bobmarleysghost posted:

Depends how they broke it. If they're using a backhoe they could have pulled up a good 10 meters of wire before it snapped, meaning you could have breaks elsewhere on the line.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

spog posted:

Maybe it has an Irish coffee option.

Or because Mormons.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

spog posted:

Petty office revenge.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I recently setup a DMARC policy on our domain...

I had to laugh when I saw AOL's DMARC reports come in for the first time:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Depends how they broke it. If they're using a backhoe they could have pulled up a good 10 meters of wire before it snapped, meaning you could have breaks elsewhere on the line.

To expand on that, it's basically a question of if they sliced the line or tore the line. Slicing is clean and means that there probably wasn't much collateral damage. Tearing leaves jagged edges and causes stress on both sides of the line which could make the fiber shatter.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 25, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Haha, I still get discrepancy reports emailed to me, and apparently this morning the production crew played "unplug random servers for whatever reason" again.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Haha, I still get discrepancy reports emailed to me, and apparently this morning the production crew played "unplug random servers for whatever reason" again.
I wish I could watch your station so bad.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A ticket came in.

...Via the radio.

Haha, I was driving to work and the DJ on the college radio station asked if anyone with Apple experience could call in about her stuck volume control. Can't even listen to my twee indie rock without someone hitting me up for IT support.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

So have you seen any correspondence throwing you under the bus yet?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I didn't mean for that to sound so melodramatic.

I still have two more pages left over and I want to contribute to something that'll help you out, man. My dad's a divorce attorney here in Jersey, since retired, and I grew up hearing all the horror stories. Good on you for wanting to be in the picture for your kids. Be active, but for the love of God set yourself up in an apartment closer to a major metro area with better job markets.

It's tough to ask for help, even tougher to accept it. Let us help you, amigo.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

Glad to see you're still getting Severity 1 tickets assigned to you.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Eonwe posted:

also today

lots of tickets come in

SKYPE CRASHING

cool did you see the IT comm we sent out to the whole company and also the big red letters at the top of the ticketing system that say we know X patch broke stuff, dont make another ticket follow Y ticket

but yea, everyone file a ticket
In the past we had some of the higher-ups tell us that whenever there was a major event like a server outage they wanted the Helpdesk to open a new ticket for everyone who called, rather than just pass on that it was a known issue covered by ticket number xxxx. This was somehow supposed to give better metrics that something major happened, but sometimes resulting in groups getting hundreds of tickets if a major network drive or the VMWare system went down. The group would then of course have to spend a lot of time after actually fixing the issue closing the tickets. Fortunately those higher-ups aren't around anymore.

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm kind of sad that printers nowadays have big graphical touch displays that you can't easily modify the message on. Back when the fanciest printers we had were Laserjets with 20x4 alphanumerical displays I used to make them read
--------------------
    INSERT  COIN
     CREDITS: 0
--------------------

This sounds like a dangerous game, you know someone's going to take it seriosly and jam a quarter in somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Knormal posted:

In the past we had some of the higher-ups tell us that whenever there was a major event like a server outage they wanted the Helpdesk to open a new ticket for everyone who called, rather than just pass on that it was a known issue covered by ticket number xxxx. This was somehow supposed to give better metrics that something major happened, but sometimes resulting in groups getting hundreds of tickets if a major network drive or the VMWare system went down. The group would then of course have to spend a lot of time after actually fixing the issue closing the tickets. Fortunately those higher-ups aren't around anymore.

Our company does this to help track the number of calls on an issue (we're an MSP so it obviously matters). What our helpdesk will do is, once it is realized it's an issue (usually after 5-10 call) they will create a problem ticket and then link every individual incident ticket to that problem ticket, the incidents get closed as soon as they are linked to the problem, helps with issue tracking/metrics and it's pretty easy, all of 45 seconds for whomever is on the phone to link + close ticket. Our company also rolled their own ticketing system and it's pretty loving good, so the same thing might not be as easy in remedy or whatever your ticket system flavor is.

• Locked thread