Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

pretty much every fight i've preferred the anime version of, though each fight tends to have a specific sequence (like sonic zipping around saitama) that was better in the manga version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

pretty much every fight i've preferred the anime version of, though each fight tends to have a specific sequence (like sonic zipping around saitama) that was better in the manga version.

One of the moves I really like in the anime is that thing Genos does where he uses the boosters on his hands/arms to do a 360 to do a spinning kick. It was really awesome when he busted it out against Armored Gorilla.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

this allusion meant posted:

drat, Sonic has a totally garbage butt. Can't see what Prisoner sees in him.
It's not just butt stuff man. Or so I hear

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Zettace posted:

You can't even make the right hand turn (left in Japan) during a red light.

This is true for most of the world, actually. Almost everywhere requires a special sign or a special green right arrow for it to be okay to turn right on red.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Man with Hat posted:

This is true for most of the world, actually. Almost everywhere requires a special sign or a special green right arrow for it to be okay to turn right on red.

I have to admit, right-on-red is not exactly the most pedestrian-friendly exception to the red=stop rule. Bikes, too. Some people have a weird mental block where they can see the red light but not see any non-cars in the path of their turn and will immediately proceed.

My sister and her boyfriend have both been injured by careless drivers taking right turns on reds while the crosswalk light was white. :(

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Man with Hat posted:

Meanwhile, most of Norway has no lights at all. Oslo has dedicated lights and lanes for bicycles and some small towns even has roads specifically for cyclists.

Doesn't help much when a lot of cyclists think themselves too good for those roads and block traffic.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mordaedil posted:

Meanwhile, most of Norway has no lights at all. Oslo has dedicated lights and lanes for bicycles and some small towns even has roads specifically for cyclists.

Doesn't help much when a lot of cyclists think themselves too good for those roads and block traffic.

norway has a freeway that is literally an oceanic rollercoaster

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I've driven on that road twice. It's very fun when the tides are high and there are big waves and you wait for the waves to recede before you rush across to the next island before the next wave hits.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

One of the moves I really like in the anime is that thing Genos does where he uses the boosters on his hands/arms to do a 360 to do a spinning kick. It was really awesome when he busted it out against Armored Gorilla.

it lets genos make some really cool midair motions, i agree. genos fights in particular they've done an exceptional job of

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, since all of Saitama's battles end with a single punch, Genos really gets to show off his moves. Which is great.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

well, they did a really good job with saitama's episode 1 dream sequence, as well as saitama vs asura rhino. sonic vs dude who doesn't want to work was also pretty good, for another good non-genos fight

vs sea king i wasn't really feeling as much this time around though, angel mode excepted. i think what we've seen thus far of the sea king fight was better in the manga, actually.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 25, 2015

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Puri Puri Prisoner's ultimate form was Jojo as gently caress. This show owns

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Are there any gifs of Sonic's slowed down dodges? My fave part of the episode.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Episode 4 also probably had my favorite fight scene so far in the series. A lot of the time I feel like the art is downgraded from Murata's version, which probably isn't really fair since Murata deals with pages while the anime actually deals with moving scenes. For instance, Sonic's rapid moving around is impressive in the Murata version because you get this sense of motion, like a flipbook, but in the anime it's just a bunch of fast lines.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed that the anime didn't quite convey the sense I got from this gif

Let's be fair though, no matter how high the budget of the anime is, they're still working within tighter restrictions than the bi-monthly web-published redraw. And while a few specific scenes don't quite live up to the manga, the overall quality has been exceptional and beats the poo poo out of any other anime out there right now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think the main thing going against the flipbook scenes is how hard they'd be to animate. You wouldn't really be able to reuse the backgrounds and would have to keep redrawing it, which would eat up a lot of time. Also I think the anime's based more off of the printed volumes, which doesn't have the flipbook style animation anyway.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ChaosArgate posted:

I think the main thing going against the flipbook scenes is how hard they'd be to animate. You wouldn't really be able to reuse the backgrounds and would have to keep redrawing it, which would eat up a lot of time.

Which is why they should pay Murata to do it. The man clearly needs more One Punch Man in his life.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think it's cool that both the Murata manga and anime have their own takes on things. it makes the anime feel fresh and interesting, even though i recently re-read the series. i'm sure it'll leave anybody who reads the manga after with some awesome surprises too. the two make great companions, rather than one being a definituvely better version.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Augus posted:

Yeah I was a bit disappointed that the anime didn't quite convey the sense I got from this gif

Let's be fair though, no matter how high the budget of the anime is, they're still working within tighter restrictions than the bi-monthly web-published redraw. And while a few specific scenes don't quite live up to the manga, the overall quality has been exceptional and beats the poo poo out of any other anime out there right now.

Murata is just out of everyone's league. There's no need to be dissapointed.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's possible to lose minutes just watching that Murata gif and appreciating all the fine details of it. It's a true masterpiece.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's possible to lose minutes just watching that Murata gif and appreciating all the fine details of it. It's a true masterpiece.

Sonic's innocent smile in the last frame :allears:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Words can't describe how awesome it is.

This is just nitpicking we're doing. It's a big compliment to the anime that the biggest complaint anyone has about it is "Eh, the art doesn't quite achieve LITERAL PERFECTION"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

If anyone has tried to use Flash, they ought to have a slight idea of how hard it is. And these animes are being produced on a weekly basis, it's friggin' insane to me and I can't see how they pull it off.

You know, besides the regular shortcuts. How much pre-work do they do when making an anime?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

If anyone has tried to use Flash, they ought to have a slight idea of how hard it is. And these animes are being produced on a weekly basis, it's friggin' insane to me and I can't see how they pull it off.

You know, besides the regular shortcuts. How much pre-work do they do when making an anime?

Probably very little. Everything is a race against the clock.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Instead of talking about how the anime doesn't reach a quality level of God, let's instead talk about things that look even better than the manga. Sonic causing chaos in the streets- the part where Saitama chomped on his sword- was resolved in a more satisfactory way this time since he went cratering into the ground, IMO.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Any kinda rotating, panoramic angle is a huge pain to animate in anything other than CGI (and frequently looks off even if you commit to the tedious task of redrawing every frame). Even Disney - the same Disney which opted to fly in real live lions so their animators could practice drawing them realistically - decided to go for a CG composite shot when putting together Beauty and the Beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ0ODCMC6xs&t=133s

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RareAcumen posted:

Instead of talking about how the anime doesn't reach a quality level of God, let's instead talk about things that look even better than the manga. Sonic causing chaos in the streets- the part where Saitama chomped on his sword- was resolved in a more satisfactory way this time since he went cratering into the ground, IMO.

That one kick Genos did in the sparring scene was amazing.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

AnonSpore posted:

That one kick Genos did in the sparring scene was amazing.

It's a direction thing, but I think actually showing the mountain blasted apart by Saitama's pulled punch as the dust clears does a better job of hinting at just how impossibly powerful Saitama is than Murata's version just showing the cloud of dust.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Probably very little. Everything is a race against the clock.

One Punch Man seems to have slightly better scheduling than a lot of shows, though, seeing as they had the first episode broadcast ready a month in advance for the Nico preair. It's another cause of the series being so good, as a lot of animation weirdness in shows isn't due to budget, but just running out of time and going "gently caress it, we'll fix it on the Blu-ray."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ever wanted Saitama in Fallout 4? Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjxFTDzeG6A

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

NowonSA posted:

'Ken Shiro' is actually my next Fallout 4 character. Nothing but punching and Bloody Mess.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

All (3) of the manga volumes are half off til December 2nd!

:siren:
http://www.rightstufanime.com/One-Punch-Man-GN-01

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks much for the heads up. The Murata manga thread might also appreciate the cross post.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You can also predorder the 4th volume for the same price

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

NowonSA posted:

gently caress yes.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
It could use some better physics and effects, more in line with something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLadZotBuE

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

So fukken hyped for the next episode.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Way to ruin this.

Adbot