Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You should really switch to Boston with tin on tin, it's much safer.

To the above poster, having a five gallon bucket with a colander in it on the ground isn't possible? Where are you dumping after making a cocktail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So far every place I've worked at you leave used bostons at the well and a barback comes along and grabs em all and cleans them (or if it's a weeknight you just have time to run over to the sink and do em yourself you lazy prick). It's frustrating and having somewhere to dump and clean them as you go would be ideal obviously but so far I've had precisely zero luck convincing an owner to drop cash to to put new plumbing into the middle of the bar

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also bucket on the ground is a respectable solution but I guess what I'm saying here is what's the advantage of the wet/dry shake over the dry/wet that I'm putting a bucket on the ground for some idiot to knock over at 2 am to facilitate it?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
There are non-permanent glass washers available that don't require any plumbing work and a bucket with a colander is a perfectly acceptable dump station. How few cocktails are you making a night that you can run tins through a wash after each drink?!

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Do you seriously NOT wash tins after every drink? Especially ones with egg white? I thought that was standard. Also I work in a 10 well island bar with a 30 drink list so to answer your question : a dickload

E: are you referring to putting them through a washer? Yeah I don't do that for time concerns and also hot bostons are bullshit and actually dangerous but you rinse them out in the sink

Anyway I don't need advice on how to fit more poo poo into my horribly cramped bar that was designed by an idiot coke head who has bartender for maybe 10 hours of his life, I'm just curious if here's an actual reason why one shake is better than the other or if it's preference

The thing about the seal makes perfect sense tbh but tin on tin is a perfectly good solution to that as well

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 25, 2015

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
http://www.diffordsguide.com/encyclopedia/2014-12-23/591/cocktails/advanced-cocktail-shaking-tips-myths-and-lessons

Read Liquid Intelligence by Dave Arnold and his blog hosted by the ICC for more discussion on how the ice's physical motion creates a more consistent emulsion. It's physics.

http://www.slapthebasil.com/2014/08/ramos-dry-shake-test.html?m=1

If you're shaking for more than 25 seconds, using a blender ball or the coil from a Hawthorne, you're wasting a lot of your own time.

I've had egg white sours last without significant deterioration of the emulsion for 20+ minutes and I shake 15-20 seconds.

poo poo, one time I did 33 of them for the Bev pairing with the tasting menu, with flower petal and bitters design garnish in 4:45min. Worked beautifully.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
No? You made it sound as though you were running them through a dishwasher after each drink which sounds insane, you'd have to have 50 tins on hand at any given point of time if you did any significant cocktail production at all.

One like this requires very little work and no dedicated plumbing http://www.micromatic.com/platform-trays/undercounter-mount-glass-rinser-gr-ucm but there are even more temp versions that suction cup to a surface in the well, I have one of those for when we have buyouts of a certain size and I need my staff to set up a fifth bar as a satellite.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 25, 2015

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nah gently caress barbacks who put bostons through washers during service that is my absolute number 1 per peeve

I'm really interested in the science behind it and it's cool if you can seriously get a half hour foam retention going on a drink but I doubt it's ever going to be a big enough difference to be practical for me to do at work in my shitfight pump bar

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also I'm curious, I don't recognise the fittings underneath those cool little glass rinsers, what does it hook upto if it doesn't have a dedicated water line?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I think using good eggs helps a lot too. That was part of the bar program at a Michelin star place I worked so my eggs were fancy Araucana eggs like, four days off the farm. Lots of commercial eggs are old because eggs actually keep a pretty drat long time (especially if the membrane is intact) and they don't provide as good a texture.

I just put an eggless whiskey sour on the menu but it still gets a really nice foam because I made a syrup of cold process rich simple with a heavy roasted persimmon purée. Persimmons have that same quality that pineapples and some others do where they emulsify into a nice foam without egg.

If I remember, I'll post some photos here of my new menu, I have a PR photo/video shoot in the morning. I'll try to snipe their images.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That micromatic one screws onto any faucet, or you can get it spliced to run off your soda gun system.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

That micromatic one screws onto any faucet, or you can get it spliced to run off your soda gun system.

Ok that's actually a really cool design feature, since if I had a faucet I'd probably already have a sink anyway but that's very fab

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also curious as to if you're referring to a process of making simple syrup without heating it? If so please dish cause I'm trying to find a better way to make simple than on a stove or in a glass washer

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Any simple @ a 2:1 or lower ratio isnt actually supersaturated so heat isnt required, just time. You just let it sit like 30 min to 1 hour.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm actually really glad you posted that, because I have a lot of cooking to do which includes making some simple for a batch of Limmer's. Not needing to take up the stove for that will be nice.

Kenning, how big of a batch of simple do you tend to make to put a teaspoon of orange blossom water in it for the Limmer's?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A teaspoon to a strong syrup of one cup water and two cups sugar has always treated me well. A nice addition top green tea/almond milk/whatever when the leftover capillaire taunts you in the fridge.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Archenteron posted:

Hey Kenning, my family got a shipment of random Florida citrus from Grandma, and I'm wondering what manner of punch can be made from it. Things weren't labeled well, and some were test-eaten. Estimate is 4 oranges, 4 tangerines/tangellos, 2 not-lemons (not-sweet) that we cant figure out if they're grapefruits, 1 oranger-not-lemon that's sweet. I apologise for being vague as hell, but that's all we know, and I'd like to make a thanksgiving punch from the Mystery Citrus.

I would buy a few more lemons and then juice everything so it's roughly equal parts sweet orange juice and tart lemon juice. Then mix that with 75% sugar (so 4 oz. juice gets 3 oz. sugar). You can, before mixing, make an oleo-saccharum with the peels (recommended!). Then add 3x the volume of the juice in spirits and 4x in water. Scrape nutmeg on the top and serve. I'd recommend using mostly VS cognac with a healthy dollop of J. Wray and Nephew or Smith and Cross for the spirits. If you wanted it to get a little weird and play with a bit of Aperol in the mix I'd be curious to see how it went.

Actually, I may try that myself soon, sounds pretty tasty.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Kenning, how big of a batch of simple do you tend to make to put a teaspoon of orange blossom water in it for the Limmer's?

I usually make my capillaire in batches of 12 oz. (since that's the amount that will make a handlesworth of Limmer's) and I use a bit more than 1tsp orange blossom water in that. That's a bit stronger than Butch suggested, but his recommendations are pretty solid. I like a very strong floral presence in my punch, in part because I like florals in general. Your best bet is to start with a pint of syrup, like Butch says, and then taste to see if you want it stronger.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Should I be using powdered sugar for simple? This syrup just turned into sludge and the sugar never completely dissolved.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
You should not

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kenning posted:

I would buy a few more lemons and then juice everything so it's roughly equal parts sweet orange juice and tart lemon juice. Then mix that with 75% sugar (so 4 oz. juice gets 3 oz. sugar). You can, before mixing, make an oleo-saccharum with the peels (recommended!). Then add 3x the volume of the juice in spirits and 4x in water. Scrape nutmeg on the top and serve. I'd recommend using mostly VS cognac with a healthy dollop of J. Wray and Nephew or Smith and Cross for the spirits. If you wanted it to get a little weird and play with a bit of Aperol in the mix I'd be curious to see how it went.

Actually, I may try that myself soon, sounds pretty tasty.

Read this too late to hit the liquor store, but was able to still act on this. We were almost out of cognac, but enough to make a 2-person batch of this. Oleo-saccharum was made, the lemon was on the sweet side, only had Meyers, but figured that Bermuda rum kick was still worth something. Beverage ended up smooth and delicious, though I'm ture the extra tartness and heavier funk would have truly completed it. Thanks Punchwizard.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, okay. How long should I be boiling the mix for? I tried the cold blend Fart Car was talking about with granulated sugar and it didn't work, so I did it the traditional way and it didn't dissolve for ~15 minutes. Enough water boiled off that it ended up being like I had dropped a little bit of water on a pile of sugar. Maybe I didn't make enough, I was making a small batch.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
1 cup to 1 cup dog

hit boiling point and take it off the heat, stir if necessary

it's kind of perplexing to me that you're having a hard time with this

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, okay. How long should I be boiling the mix for? I tried the cold blend Fart Car was talking about with granulated sugar and it didn't work, so I did it the traditional way and it didn't dissolve for ~15 minutes. Enough water boiled off that it ended up being like I had dropped a little bit of water on a pile of sugar. Maybe I didn't make enough, I was making a small batch.

Just use X amount of water right off the boil with an equal part of sugar and stir it for like 30 seconds. Lol this is really stressing me out honestly . you don't need to make it on the stove, just pour your hot water and sugar into a container. I believe in u

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

cryme posted:

1 cup to 1 cup dog

hit boiling point and take it off the heat, stir if necessary

it's kind of perplexing to me that you're having a hard time with this

I was doing a 2 to 1, is that harder or something? I also was only stirring it for maybe 10 seconds at a time.

Is it normal for there to still be tiny granules in there? I thought I had it, but once it cooled down it had a bunch of stuff settled at the bottom.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
DO NOT BOIL ANYTHING FOR YOUR loving SYRUP.

When you hydrolyze a sucrose molecule with heat or acid, you break the molecular bonds and they reform as separate fructose and glucose. This is inverted syrup, used for pastry production. It is thinner and tastes hyper sweet, like high-fructose corn syrup tastes sweeter than non. It is terrible for cocktails - it is less viscous, eliminates the nice mouth feel and roundness of a proper cold process syrup and in my experience, spoils faster.

Take cool water, mix with granulated sugar. Stir it, or put it in a shakeable container. I make five gallon cambros of it at a time. Up to a ratio of ~2.3-1 sugar to water, you aren't making a true supersaturated solution and this heat is not necessary.

Good bars don't use a hot process, neither does any legit syrup company.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So just stir the poo poo out of it cold?

I did 1/4 cup water to 1/2 cup sugar, first cold leaving it overnight and then boiling it when that didn't work. I'm wondering if with the boiling I didn't use enough water and proportionally more boiled off than with a larger batch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

When you hydrolyze a sucrose molecule with heat or acid, you break the molecular bonds and they reform as separate fructose and glucose. This is inverted syrup, used for pastry production. It is thinner and tastes hyper sweet, like high-fructose corn syrup tastes sweeter than non. It is terrible for cocktails - it is less viscous, eliminates the nice mouth feel and roundness of a proper cold process syrup and in my experience, spoils faster.

Take cool water, mix with granulated sugar. Stir it, or put it in a shakeable container. I make five gallon cambros of it at a time. Up to a ratio of ~2.3-1 sugar to water, you aren't making a true supersaturated solution and this heat is not necessary.

Do you use any particular brand of granulated sugar, or is Domino or whatever just as good as anything else? I made a batch of turbinado syrup, it's good, but of course brown syrup doesn't make for vibrant cocktails.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

This guy literally just somehow hosed up making simple syrup and came here for help, please please please for the love of god don't make a post with the words "hydrolyze a sugar molecule" and just let him mix hot water and sugar together until it tastes sweet I am begging you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Make a gum syrup if u care about mouthfeel but in the meantime lets just get this dude on the way to successfully putting together some sugar water please

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So just stir the poo poo out of it cold?

I did 1/4 cup water to 1/2 cup sugar, first cold leaving it overnight and then boiling it when that didn't work. I'm wondering if with the boiling I didn't use enough water and proportionally more boiled off than with a larger batch.

You want to start with equal parts sugar to water to start and then move up in concentration from there, not down. Ice adds the dilution, not the syrup.

E: so yes just stir the poo poo out of it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Do you use any particular brand of granulated sugar, or is Domino or whatever just as good as anything else? I made a batch of turbinado syrup, it's good, but of course brown syrup doesn't make for vibrant cocktails.

Brand doesn't matter. Mine comes from 50lb bags delivered from a restaurant supply. Different sugars (turbinado, Demerara, etc.) will saturate differently and for me the color is the main issue. Producing a drink that looks good is equally if not moreso important than its taste.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

goferchan posted:

This guy literally just somehow hosed up making simple syrup and came here for help, please please please for the love of god don't make a post with the words "hydrolyze a sugar molecule" and just let him mix hot water and sugar together until it tastes sweet I am begging you

They hosed it up because they were using 1part sugar to 2parts water. Heat will only hurt them.

If you don't think that the feel of a drink is equally as important as how it tastes, looks or smells, I don't even loving know what to tell you.

Also, it's really loving weird that you assume everyone on the Internet is a man. Knock it off.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm assuming 2:1 meant sugar to water because the reverse would be really really weird

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

And im totally gonna try the cold simple thing next time and do a side-by-side test because you got me curious. Im just saying keep it basic with this lady or this fella because there aren't very many ways to gently caress up simple syrup and if someones having issues there, mixing equal parts hot water and sugar and stirring it for like 30 seconds is gonna be pretty foolproof. When I've been extra concerned about texture in the past I've used Acacia gum and a 1.5:1 ratio in the syrup, and again, im gonna give the cold method you mentioned a try but you gotta feel me that when 99% of people say "simple syrup" they mean something pretty dang simple

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also honestly I think only a man would be capable of mucking up a simple syrup and I have too much respect for women to believe that one could

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Cocktail thread: simple syrup recipes herein

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That poster hosed it up because they put two parts water to one part sugar. That's why it was super hosed. Read the post.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

^^ I feel like at least one person is trolling me and its working lol

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You realize that in a cocktail, the sweet balancing the acid balancing the booze is like, all of the cocktail, yeah? The sugar is massively important. Why wouldn't there be syrup recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

That poster hosed it up because they put two parts water to one part sugar. That's why it was super hosed. Read the post.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I did 1/4 cup water to 1/2 cup sugar

Oh my god that s not two parts water to one part sugar