Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hezzy posted:

Oct 22nd - Refund Request Sent
Oct 23rd - Mass email from Patrick about high ticket loads
Oct 29th - Generic email from CIG about refunds, asking about press articles
Nov 4th - Chaser email sent
Nov 6th - Mass email from Mike about high ticket loads
Nov 13th - Mass email from Mike about high ticket loads
Nov 18th - I sent an email complaining about generic emails being sent and gave a deadline of 23rd Nov before a chargeback is issued
Nov 20th - Email from Mike asking me to confirm Paypal address, not addressed to me personally so likely another generic email
Nov 20th - Mass email from Mike about high ticket load (110+ tickets in his queue)
Nov 23rd - Mass email from Mike about high ticket loads

On the phone now to the bank

$96 million. Willing to buy $2000 space desks, build Mo-Cap studios over and over again, and allegedly lease private Porsches and $15k/mo beachfront residential property in Pacific Palisades for the founders...

Yet still too cheap to hire a proper support staff because they're happy with taking weeks or longer to solve backer problems.

Kinda makes you think these people don't give a crap about anybody but themselves, don't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I kinda hope they crash and burn on this, the assets get picked up by a better developer, and it gets released way down-scaled and ran by a competent team.

Thats honestly the best case

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

I dunno. I paid 35 bucks for alien isolation, tomb raider, and star citizen. so that's.. 11.66 bucks.

Plus it came with a flying AMD billboard of a ship you can't get anymore that's APPARENTLY worth 55 bucks even without game access. So poo poo! I'm already in the black! :v:

Still runs like garbage though. :(

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Booblord Zagats posted:

I kinda hope they crash and burn on this, the assets get picked up by a better developer, and it gets released way down-scaled and ran by a competent team.

I liked Freelancer, too.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3u52w9/coworkers_asked_me_what_star_citizen_was/cxc75ec

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

$96 million. Willing to buy $2000 space desks, build Mo-Cap studios over and over again, and allegedly lease private Porsches and $15k/mo beachfront residential property in Pacific Palisades for the founders...

Yet still too cheap to hire a proper support staff because they're happy with taking weeks or longer to solve backer problems.

Kinda makes you think these people don't give a crap about anybody but themselves, don't it?

There's a lot of cut corners on the Vanguard too, the newest hangar-ready ship. If you can stomach the :smug: for a couple minutes this guy shows a lot of the missing detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZfEV6CejI

Like two-thirds of the interior including the full cockpit setup is just reused Retaliator assets, and half the exterior appears like they just ported over the website model. Keep in mind they're now selling a whole other ship, the Sabre, that is basically reusing the exterior assets of the Vanguard. Seems a bit suspicious.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 25, 2015

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

There's a lot of cut corners on the Vanguard too, the newest hangar-ready ship. If you can stomach the :smug: for a couple minutes this guy shows a lot of the missing detail.

Like two-thirds of the interior is just reused Retaliator assets, and keep in mind they're now selling a whole other ship, the Sabre, that is basically reusing the exterior assets of the Vanguard. Seems a bit suspicious.

I'm the holes in the ship surrounding the modular escape pod.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Their link: Coffee Machine Sounds

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3u7iiy/new_hangar_item_coffee_machine/

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Star Citizen Makes No Sense? (CLOSED)
Posted: November 24
Edited: 8:32AM by Boraxx

quote:

What is the incentive to make a good game, when the company making it already has your money?

I don't get it. There is a bunch of stuff in the store being sold for more than the cost of the game. I see something costing $350? And it's just a ship? As opposed to an entire game, that cost less than $50? That makes no sense. Why would you ever work on finishing the game, when you are already making so much money. Star Citizen has already made all the money. This is a pretty terrible incentive model to finish a product, if you have already been paid for making it.

The game is constantly delayed, and when they show progress there are a lot of bugs. I am not saying the game won't eventually be completed, but what is their incentive to do it quickly, when people are buying $350 3D ship models for an unfinished game. I would just go in the business of making 3D models, and selling them for $350 a pop versus spending years making a game that can only be sold for less than $50.

At this point you are only going off promises, and Star Citizen has no incentive to ever finish the game, or if they do, make it of any substance, other than to keep selling more DLC.

There should be a big announcement, that whoever wants their money back, can get a refund, if that doesn't already exist.

To be clear. I am not bashing the Star Citizen Development team, I am bashing the whole customer/company relationship this transaction has created.

Sounds like it makes perfect sense, mate.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I love the last sentence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3u6siy/the_freelancer_is_more_expensive_that_the_idris/

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Star Citizen: Use our grabby hands to grab the nipp.. buttons

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

what even the hell was this word salad? i want to slap this idiot so much

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
sounds like goddamn deepak chopra

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I'm the engine intakes and the laser that has barrels

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Like two-thirds of the interior including the full cockpit setup is just reused Retaliator assets, and half the exterior appears like they just ported over the website model. Keep in mind they're now selling a whole other ship, the Sabre, that is basically reusing the exterior assets of the Vanguard. Seems a bit suspicious.
I just watched that.

Did I understand him correctly-- that you have to climb on top of the ship to access the gun turrets?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Booblord Zagats posted:

I really doubt the assets are even worth picking up at this stage. Spaceship design is a dime a dozen, and the engine is super-garbo-useless. I suspect that at this stage, it would be quicker for someone to just start from scratch, and not have the bad smell of this rotting corpse following you around.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Agrajag posted:

what even the hell was this word salad?

Crash74
May 11, 2009
So what was the peak total goon "investment" like a year ago? It was north of 250k at one point wasn't it?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Been meaning to do this for weeks but finally got around to getting a creative cloud trial.

Totally worth it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Xaerael posted:

I really doubt the assets are even worth picking up at this stage. Spaceship design is a dime a dozen, and the engine is super-garbo-useless. I suspect that at this stage, it would be quicker for someone to just start from scratch, and not have the bad smell of this rotting corpse following you around.

I was going to chime in to say this-Star Citizen as a brand doesn't have any worth beside "made by the guy who made Wing Commander and was kicked off of Freelancer". And if any buyout gets rid of Chris-R (which is the only way this project sees completion) then you lose that, and you might as well make a brand new space game.

EDIT: Has there been the typical vitriol-filled response to the PC Gamer article yet?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

For the record, I do take her at her word that it was an accident of ignorance.

Which makes it even more obvious she has no idea what any of those words mean. Because, if you don't immediately pause at "Deutschland Deutschland über Alles" and think about it for a second, then you know less German than I do, and I'm super poo poo at it.

She speaks 5 languages. And I'm the queen of England.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Crash74 posted:

So what was the peak total goon "investment" like a year ago? It was north of 250k at one point wasn't it?

Sounds about right. If you want to include DS since he is technically a goon, it would make that over $350k.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Did anyone ever do anything interesting with the huge asset leak?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Crash74 posted:

It was 311k on the spreadsheet that got passed around and mocked in the old GBS doobcitizen thread.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How likely is it that the 10-hours of cutscenes for SQ42 ultimately sees the light of day as a Scy-Fy Channel mini-series?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Amarcarts posted:

I'm the engine intakes and the laser that has barrels
Air intakes ... in space.

I get irrationally angry by those ship designs. With E:D the ships are at least streamlined or utilitarian, and they're easy on the eyes. SC's ships look ... overengineered. They don't know what they want them to be. And they're going for an airplane look except actual airplanes do not look like that.

This is sci-fi. You don't need spaceships to look like airplanes when they fly down onto planets -- you can give them shields or some other gizmo that counteracts aerodynamic effects. Whatever, make it up. It goes back to that stubborn focus in which everything has to be needlessly complicated to be "realistic" but without any of it making sense within its own setting. When did they decide that the ship needed air intakes and the other ones didn't?

Goddammit I'm so angry. What I'm saying is that I get irrationally angry about internet spaceships.

Edit: I'm loving serious. But it's better to read this in a Plinkett voice.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 25, 2015

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

I get irrationally angry by those ship designs. With E:D the ships are at least streamlined or utilitarian, and they're easy on the eyes. SC's ships look ... overengineered. They don't know what they want them to be. And they're going for an airplane look except actual airplanes do not look like that.

This is sci-fi. You don't need spaceships to look like airplanes when they fly down onto planets -- you can give them shields or some other gizmo that counteracts aerodynamic effects. Whatever, make it up. It goes back to that stubborn focus in which everything has to be needlessly complicated to be "realistic" but without any of it making sense within its own setting. When did they decide that the ship needed air intakes and the other ones didn't?

Goddammit I'm so angry. What I'm saying is that I get irrationally angry about internet spaceships.

Allow me to explain fidelity to you, goon troll. Chris Roberts is a visionary and furthermore

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

Why does a space jpeg have air intakes for it's engines? My immersion is ruined.

e: beaten like a CIG employee

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

G0RF posted:

Star Citizen Makes No Sense? (CLOSED)
Posted: November 24
Edited: 8:32AM by Boraxx

Sounds like it makes perfect sense, mate.

He's a backer too! How did this poor normie fall down the rabbit hole?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I don't follow this thread at all, just pop in and out again for the occasional space sim schadenfreude.

What's the context behind the thread title this time? Who's Karl?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Agrajag posted:

what even the hell was this word salad? i want to slap this idiot so much

Star Citizen is not a cult but he self described as "a devout Citizen". I guess it's just a religion then?

Crash74
May 11, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

Been meaning to do this for weeks but finally got around to getting a creative cloud trial.

Totally worth it.

please make mushmouth's head pop out of fat man's stomach like in total recall (the good one). TIA!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Berious posted:

Why does a space jpeg have air intakes for it's engines? My immersion is ruined.

e: beaten like a CIG employee

I vaguely remember there being some stupid fiction :words: to explain this. Something about sucking in particles from the space ether. Only real reason is they look cool.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Omi-Polari posted:

Edit: I'm loving serious. But it's better to read this in a Plinkett voice.

:gary: "It's like Poetry. It rhymes."

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

How likely is it that the 10-hours of cutscenes for SQ42 ultimately sees the light of day as a Scy-Fy Channel mini-series?

They have standards. Not high standards but still...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Who isn't Karl?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Omi-Polari posted:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Crash74 posted:

please make mushmouth's head pop out of fat man's stomach like in total recall (the good one). TIA!

sorry i did this instead

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Berious posted:

They have standards. Not high standards but still...

Who, the Scy-Fy channel? Have you seen Sharknado?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
This is a con and no game is worth over 40 bux. Nobody is donating to finish the game as cro berts already said he has enough to finish. So they are fleecing everyone or they believe there jpegs are actually worth thousands lmao

• Locked thread