Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

e: in other news, pretty gamechanging- ships can't block straights if the enemy controls both sides of the land.

:eyepop:

This patch/expansion is amazing. This change has been a long time coming.

az posted:

I looked at dei gratia earlier but the amount of changes and features listed on the workshop made me think it may be one of those mods that tries to do wayyyy too much and breaks the flow of the basegame. Especially all those different religions, I think I had flashbacks of the hussite revolts and entire countries drowning in pissy religious sect rebels, but I'll give it another look.

I haven't actually tried Dei Gratia, but dharper who makes it is a pretty cool dude. There really should be way more pissy religious violence in this game.

double nine posted:

the TBADW add on that changes country names to a white font.

You are a god damned mad man.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

:eyepop:

This patch/expansion is amazing. This change has been a long time coming.

The game should also use blockade % to determine strait blocking. It is very silly that one galley can block a strait.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
drat. I'm really glad I got Basileus earlier instead of later. DDRJake hates poor old Blurple, and you can tell with each patch!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PittTheElder posted:

You are a god damned mad man.

It's actually really good though. The white font with black outline, the solid white is horrible.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I really like the Rosetta mod, which turns conquered province names into an equivalent in the conqueror's language (e.g if France captured London, it would be renamed 'Londres'). Not ironman compatible though

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's already a thing that happens in the vanilla game (Contantinople becomes Istanbul Kostantiniyye once the Turks give it the works), but the Rosetta mod does a more extensive job of it.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

New video dev diary too: https://youtu.be/x2b0LrD96l8

Not anything new though, just Wiz talking about the stuff we've seen.

Those are some cool looking new features, although I hope the estates system gets merged with the English Parliament in some way

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Fister Roboto posted:

That's already a thing that happens in the vanilla game (Contantinople becomes Istanbul Kostantiniyye once the Turks give it the works), but the Rosetta mod does a more extensive job of it.

Oh yeah for sure, its just really satisfying turning south American province names Italian or something

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Trujillo posted:

Not sure how I feel about that change. Don't think the Ottomans needed a buff or galleys needed a nerf.

at the same time, hahahaha gently caress you venice you piece of garbage country

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

6 more days until I can form Germany and demand Danzig or else, 200 years early.

If only they could somehow merge EU4 and CK2 so I could do it as a lunatic, cruel, possibly inbred character named Adolphus "the Wicked" of the Hitlerian dynasty...

Seriously though, I love both EU4 and CK2 and feel they could really use to be put in a blender to make a new game, with the fun warring and diplomacy of EU4 and the internal politics, character building and roleplaying of CK2 - I would play that for millions of hours.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Whorelord posted:

I really like the Rosetta mod, which turns conquered province names into an equivalent in the conqueror's language (e.g if France captured London, it would be renamed 'Londres'). Not ironman compatible though

I don't know why Rosetta is event driven though. The default game has some similar stuff for certain provinces, so can't they put all those changes directly into the province file/localization now and avoid a the heavy event hit?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Seriously though, I love both EU4 and CK2 and feel they could really use to be put in a blender to make a new game, with the fun warring and diplomacy of EU4 and the internal politics, character building and roleplaying of CK2 - I would play that for millions of hours.

I'm 100% fine with keeping those things separate.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I've always thought that flavor events that alter your monarch values would be a neat idea though, as long as they're kept sufficiently rare

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm 100% fine with keeping those things separate.

I sadly don't have enough time to play both games since they gobble up time like crazy :smith:

The things I miss most from CK2 and think could improve EU immensely are ruler traits, dynasty shenanigans (PU just aren't the same) and big event chains like the Robin Hood or Demon Spawn ones... I don't want to micromanage my mayors, I just want some more roleplaying opportunities basically :D

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I have a problem.

I started a game as Norse Pagans in North America, titled as Vinland, at about 3PM yesterday. I took them from the start all the way through France trying to gently caress me multiple times and managing to westernize from Mesoamerican tech to the late 1700s before looking at the clock, having seized the entirety of the eastern coast from a massive French USA that I purposefully had supported the independence of in order to isolate and weaken them.

It was 5 AM. RIP.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

quadrophrenic posted:

at the same time, hahahaha gently caress you venice you piece of garbage country

Since they'll always control the Venetian side of the straight, it shouldn't affect them. Actually it might work to their advantage since to trap their army there now you'll need to siege down the province on the continent first.

It does feel like kind of a needless change really. I think tying straight crossings to how strong your blockade is like that other guy said would be way better, if they really needed to be limited at all. That'd make blockade efficiency slightly less pointless too.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Koramei posted:

Since they'll always control the Venetian side of the straight, it shouldn't affect them. Actually it might work to their advantage since to trap their army there now you'll need to siege down the province on the continent first.

I might be mistaken, but doesn't that mean all you need to do is take Treviso though? Which really just means occupying continental Venice for ticking WS and waiting for Venice to get bored, which is a far sight easier than actually building a naval force to cross the strait. If I'm reading this right, a determined Austria player (or even the AI) should be able to demolish Venice 100% of the time with very very minimal expenditure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well the change is only that armies can now ignore blockades if they control both sides of the strait. So in Venice's case, nothing really changes; they were very rarely blockaded on their island, owing to the fact that they usually had naval superiority. An Austria that sieges Treviso still can't cross without a navy, since they don't control both sides.

The biggest effect by far is that you won't be able to block the Ottomans from crossing the Sea of Marmara just by building a few more galleys than them.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

quadrophrenic posted:

I've always thought that flavor events that alter your monarch values would be a neat idea though, as long as they're kept sufficiently rare

I think if there's ever an "intellectual life" DLC for EU4 that models the Enlightenment it should allow monarchs with strong stats to contribute while falling short of being a character system per se.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

PittTheElder posted:

The biggest effect by far is that you won't be able to block the Ottomans from crossing the Sea of Marmara just by building a few more galleys than them.

Speaking of, is there any new strat for making the Byzantine Empire have a shot, or is it pretty much insane luck?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Speaking of, is there any new strat for making the Byzantine Empire have a shot, or is it pretty much insane luck?

"Restart until Poland likes you"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah naval blockade hasn't been an effective strategy in a while

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah naval blockade hasn't been an effective strategy in a while

Incorrect, it is still arguably the most reliable approach it just requires you to go into a pretty large amount of debt and be more aggressive as you will 100% lose if the OE take too many of their Anatolian cores before you DoW them (they will make too many ships for you to beat).

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I like how they made this flavor DLC for the Byzantine Empire, then proceed to nerf it into the ground to make it nearly impossible to accomplish anything as them without resorting to save scumming and gaming the system.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't get why they hate Byzantium so much anyway. It's not like it was ever particularly easy to play as them. It's fun to play as the Romans. But the start keeps becoming more and more of a ridiculous old-Albania tier pile of garbage to play through

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't get why they hate Byzantium so much anyway. It's not like it was ever particularly easy to play as them. It's fun to play as the Romans. But the start keeps becoming more and more of a ridiculous old-Albania tier pile of garbage to play through

Try Granada.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baudin posted:

Try Granada.

They're even worse probably

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Arguably any strategy that makes Byzantium easily playable without a lot of luck is inherently broken because they're supposed to be completely hosed due to their lovely starting position. The inherent brokenness of strait blockades is a good example of this and it's excellent that they're changing it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Have you ever dealt with the community on the Paradox forums? A month watching the discussions on the CK2 section of the forums will make you want to create a device with a big red button and a sign above that reads "PRESS BUTTON TO PLAY AS ROMANS" but then when they press the button a comically large boxing glove pops out and socks whoever pushed the button in the face.

Replace "Romans" with "Nazi Germany" if you go to the Hearts of Iron boards instead.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I repeat myself:

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
Survival as Byzantium was always exploits and rival roulette from day 1. Any mechanical improvements will nerf weak gimmick starts.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Ofaloaf posted:

Have you ever dealt with the community on the Paradox forums? A month watching the discussions on the CK2 section of the forums will make you want to create a device with a big red button and a sign above that reads "PRESS BUTTON TO PLAY AS ROMANS" but then when they press the button a comically large boxing glove pops out and socks whoever pushed the button in the face.

Replace "Romans" with "Nazi Germany" if you go to the Hearts of Iron boards instead.

I wish that stupid neckbeards weren't fellow Byzantium lovers, they ruin it for people who recognize that it had its flaws, but it represented a very long chapter of history coming to a close, and it's kind of sad that it did. Like a beloved TV show ending after a long run.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I wish that stupid neckbeards weren't fellow Byzantium lovers, they ruin it for people who recognize that it had its flaws, but it represented a very long chapter of history coming to a close, and it's kind of sad that it did. Like a beloved TV show ending after a long run.

It's more like when a good show goes 2 seasons longer than it should have and the last episode is really bad and everyone just wants to forget about it and remember the good times

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

It's more like when a good show goes 2 seasons longer than it should have and the last episode is really bad and everyone just wants to forget about it and remember the good times
But then there's just this really awkward subset of obsessive fans which want to keep it going, even though the show is pretty much equivalent to a decaying zombie crying for the sweet release of death. Their insistence drives off the normal fans by leaving a kind of taint on it that makes them feel gross watching it.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 25, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RabidWeasel posted:

The spin-off that Turkish company made after buying the rights was pretty good, even if the last few decades were just a sad trainwreck.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

The spin-off that Turkish company made after buying the rights was pretty good, even if the last few decades were just a sad trainwreck.

The publisher only renamed it because some Austrian rights management corp. wouldn't let go of the original name; it's a continuation of the same show.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
There's still hope that they could add an earlier start date when Byzantium still has a non-gamey chance. I was kind of expecting them to maybe do that with Cossacks because of all the new Horde mechanics, give them a start date when they're still at their peak instead of already in a deep decline.

I kind of miss the Golden Horde 1399 start.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is $16 on paradox's website.

quote:

Europa Universalis IV: American Dream
Europa Universalis IV: Digital Extreme Edition Upgrade Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Pre-Order Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Call-to-Arms Pack
Europa Universalis IV: National Monuments II
Europa Universalis IV: Conquistadors Unit pack
Europa Universalis IV: Native Americans Unit Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Songs of the New World
Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
Europa Universalis IV: Native Americans II Unit Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Colonial British and French Unit pack
Europa Universalis IV: Muslim Advisor Portraits
Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
Europa Universalis IV: Muslim Ships Unit Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Trade Nations Unit Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Europa Universalis IV: Indian Subcontinent Unit Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Indian Ships Unit Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Republican Music Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Songs of Yuletide
Europa Universalis IV: 100 Years War Unit Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Horsemen and the Crescent Unit Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Winged Hussars Unit Pack
Europa Universalis IV: Stars and the Crescent
Europa Universalis IV: Purple Phoenix
Europa Universalis IV: National Monuments
Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Constantinople

What else would I need to buy aside from the collection? I've been holding off on playing the game because I really want to play as lovely tribes or w/e in South America and work my way up into a super power, but I remember thinking it was pointless to try until I got some of the DLC that dealt with it. Now I can't remember anything about what I wanted because I've been waiting for like a year to catch a sale.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Volkerball posted:

This is $16 on paradox's website.

What else would I need to buy aside from the collection? I've been holding off on playing the game because I really want to play as lovely tribes or w/e in South America and work my way up into a super power, but I remember thinking it was pointless to try until I got some of the DLC that dealt with it. Now I can't remember anything about what I wanted because I've been waiting for like a year to catch a sale.

El Dorado has the south American tribal mechanics. I think Art of War adds a whole bunch of provinces to that part of the world too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

popewiles posted:

El Dorado has the south American tribal mechanics. I think Art of War adds a whole bunch of provinces to that part of the world too.

Alright, I'll pick up those two. I remember a bit more about Common Sense since I was paying attention when it came out, and I'll hold off on it for now. This should be plenty to keep me busy for a while.

• Locked thread