Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Isn't that when Clayface is imitating Damian while Damian was dead? Right before Zero Year started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Ahh, yes thanks man.

Awesome suit.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Didn't Miller at some point say that All-Star is in continuity with TDKR?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah. I'm pretty sure Year One is supposed to be, as well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of, Miller had a Q&A on DC's twitter on Friday

quote:

Miller, who's had more influence on the Dark Knight than virtually any other creator of the past three decades, was asked why he depicted the character as "a total bully." "I didn't write Batman as a bully," he replied. "As a child I've been beaten up by bullies many times. Batman suffered at the hands of bullies that murdered his parents. He's fighting back."

He also addressed where we find the fan favorite Carrie Kelley as "Dark Knight III" opens. "She's gotten older and smarter," Miller said. "She's now Batman's understudy. She is more intelligent than Bruce Wayne."

As for his long, complicated relationship with the Man of Steel? "I love Superman," Miller said. "It's tough love, though. 'Dark Knight' is Batman's story & BATMAN is not particularly fond of Superman."

And asked about criticism of his work as "fascist/misogynist/racist/homophobic," Miller answered, "I feel very confident in who I am. I'm very proud of my work. People can interpret it any way they like."

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

quote:

BATMAN is not particularly fond of Superman

Except in most comics not written by Frank Miller.

Though I suppose he operates in his own universe as a matter of course.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Miller writes his batman as a psychopathic rear end in a top hat. I'm okay with that.

Europa first issue didn't really do it for me. The Jim Lee art with the colors over his pencils looked pretty cool though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I've finally read DK2 in anticipation of DK3 this week, and if the new comic is a total retreat from how bananas that is, I'll be a bit bummed.

e: I'm a bit bummed. Even Frank's art in the minicomic wasn't really crazy.
Also, 20ish pages feels way to brief for an issue of Dark Knight.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 25, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, what'd everyone think of DK?
I'm getting over the fact that the setting is contemporised, with all of the insane stuff seemingly removed, but something just reminded me that almost every major character is a woman. That's a really nice, unexpected aspect.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 25, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's the leader of the bunch, I know him well.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm getting over the fact that the setting is contemporised, with all of the insane stuff seemingly removed, but something just reminded me that almost every major character is a woman. That's a really nice, unexpected aspect.

Too bad the comic is absolute poo poo. It is worse than Holy Terror - that thing was vile, self-referential and angry, but it was honest, this one is just inessential. At least Before Watchmen was a fanfic collection by other people, Miller decided to sign on this.

You may hate DKSA, yet every page punched and shouted, with no downtime or slumps. Even All-Star had this, thanks to Jim Lee commiting to his super-flashy style.

Wonder Woman segment was alright, but nothing special.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It was alright. I have to admit I found the Atom story more interesting though, speaking of, it was reallt drawn by Miller? The art is very superior to the promotional pieces he has done for the book.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Teenage Fansub posted:

with all of the insane stuff seemingly removed

Still had a minotaur and a not-dinosaur. But yeah, I actually prefer DKSA to the first and wish this kept at least some of that flavor.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Are we to assume that the time frame has been about 9 months to around a year given Diana having another baby? If so in that short time frame, Superman just encased himself in ice like the Lich King? It just seems to be a short span for him to be on an upward beat reconnecting with his daughter and baby mama.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Eternal was good again with the Harper/Cass/Grayson dynamic. Genevieve Valentine needs to stick around.
Has there ever been a female writer on Detective Comics? That'd be cool :)

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I knew the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams/Dick Giordano Batman was a classic, but I was caught completely unaware at how really good it is. It's a crime Adams did so little on the title, he is absolutely stellar. So dynamic. I want more globetrotting hairy-chested 70's action movie Batman.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 26, 2015

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

After all of Miller's Islamophobia and "today's young punks don't understand America" rants, I was honestly taken aback that the book started with a female Batman stomping the poo poo out of a bunch of cops ready to pull a Laquan McDonald on some dude.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

He's the leader of the bunch, I know him well.

Godammit, Lurdiak.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/batman-and-robin-eternal-9-dc-comics-2015

"An angelic Hitman with a flaming sword and penchant for hallucinogens"

I see the Eternal team still have the subtlety of a brick.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm way behind on Batman (just finished Zero Year), but I'm still enjoying Snyder/Capullo for the most part. Capullo's art is just gorgeous, and while sometimes they stray too far into grimdark, Saw-ish territory for my taste, the writing ranges from okay to good. I like the writing in each of the new arcs slightly less than the one which preceded it, with Court of Owls being the strongest thus far. Snyder has lots of good core ideas about how Batman relates to Gotham or to his villains, but sometimes his writing comes off as....overly researched, I guess?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/batman-and-robin-eternal-9-dc-comics-2015

Like having a guy with a freeze gun named Mr. Freeze.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Like having a guy with a freeze gun named Mr. Freeze.

The difference is that Mr Freeze's name is meant to tell the audience the basics about the guy. On B&RE they're trying to play coy and play the return of JPV like a big surprise when they're telegraphing so hard since issue four.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Does he take his venom in red pill form now?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm way behind on Batman (just finished Zero Year), but I'm still enjoying Snyder/Capullo for the most part. Capullo's art is just gorgeous, and while sometimes they stray too far into grimdark, Saw-ish territory for my taste, the writing ranges from okay to good. I like the writing in each of the new arcs slightly less than the one which preceded it, with Court of Owls being the strongest thus far. Snyder has lots of good core ideas about how Batman relates to Gotham or to his villains, but sometimes his writing comes off as....overly researched, I guess?

I like the way Capullo draws everything, besides Batman himself. There's something off about his costumed Bruce Wayne.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Bahahaha Jason's loving wrist-machetes. Are those A Thing in Red Hood/Arsenal, D_T? Because holy poo poo that's dumb and not in the "so bad it's good" way.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

Bahahaha Jason's loving wrist-machetes. Are those A Thing in Red Hood/Arsenal, D_T? Because holy poo poo that's dumb and not in the "so bad it's good" way.

No, they were a one off thing Lobdell used back on RHATO's second issue and back then, they were some kind of gliders

For some reason, DC latched on the drat things and put them into the N52 action figure

And now Tynion has brought them back as Jason's signature weapon or something. I did like them when they used it on issue 3 but admitedlly, that was more because I simply love the costume with the hoddied vest :v:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am actually 100% behind pouty mask Jason.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Christ. :cripes:

Aren't his signature weapons, y'know, loving guns? I mean, maybe they're trying to make it less awkward with him hanging out with the non-lethal bat-posse, but sword gauntlet seems like a step down into stupid-town rather than just, say, having him say he's shooting rubber bullets. Also how are the gently caress are they even gliders in that RHATO page? At least Tim's dumb wings are actually dumb wings without giant gaping holes in the flying part.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Facial expressions help the artist do good art poo poo. Red Hood w/ expressive mask is good like Spider-Man w/ expressive eyes is good. There's no good reason not go use them.

Also, what sort of pampered suburban elysium do you live in, where you don't wear machete-gloves 100% of the time?

e: Red Hood is never good, but, I mean, relative to the Red Hood mean, expressive mask is good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

Christ. :cripes:

Aren't his signature weapons, y'know, loving guns? I mean, maybe they're trying to make it less awkward with him hanging out with the non-lethal bat-posse, but sword gauntlet seems like a step down into stupid-town rather than just, say, having him say he's shooting rubber bullets. Also how are the gently caress are they even gliders in that RHATO page? At least Tim's dumb wings are actually dumb wings without giant gaping holes in the flying part.

As I said, that is mostly Tynion's idea. Lobdell also introduced a pair of special blades to deal with RHATO's first big bad but never used them beyond that. Tynion actively pushed them as THE weapon for Jason and added to them a ton of bullshit powers just because. It actually stuck for a bit but once Lobdell returned to RHATO he ditched them.

Currently, Jason uses just his guns on RH/A. So there's that.

As for the glider part? :shrug: Comic book science?

Squizzle posted:

Facial expressions help the artist do good art poo poo. Red Hood w/ expressive mask is good like Spider-Man w/ expressive eyes is good. There's no good reason not go use them.

Also, what sort of pampered suburban elysium do you live in, where you don't wear machete-gloves 100% of the time?

e: Red Hood is never good, but, I mean, relative to the Red Hood mean, expressive mask is good.

Thing is, the whole point of the helmet is to conceal Jason's expressions (besides you know, Spiderman mask being made of fabric and not a loving helmet) Medri had a great idea by adding more details into the helmet so is not a mere red circle.

And if you REALLY think expressions are THAT important, just go the preN52 route and have Jason using just a domino mask.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 1, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, why not have utility wrist-things to go along with your utility belt?

But I agree that facial expressions are important, though a good artist can still manage to make expressive characters with a rigid face (see some of the Transformers artists working on characters like Whirl and Shockwave).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

Well, why not have utility wrist-things to go along with your utility belt?

But I agree that facial expressions are important, though a good artist can still manage to make expressive characters with a rigid face (see some of the Transformers artists working on characters like Whirl and Shockwave).

One of Rocafort's preliminary designs had Jason using an "utility bandolier" but it was nixed in favor of the jacket. I don't know why keep the jacket though, most artists draw Jason with the sleeves rolled up.

And yes, Medri was able to give Jason's expressions despite using a rigid helmet. I'll miss his work.

Anyways, new story from Paul Dini and Eduardo Risso. Dark Knight: A True Batman Story

quote:

According to the website, "Dark Night" features Batman and his rogues gallery as a Greek chorus of sorts, with the focus on Dini, "then a recent Emmy winner for 'Tiny Toon Adventures', who drinks too much and dates the wrong women. [...] Then one night he runs afoul of two thugs. In the days, weeks and months that follow, he tries his best to recover but has to navigate Batman and his infamous cohorts, who offer criticism and advice as if angels and devils on his shoulders."

Batman is described as "a blunt parental figure" who berates Dini and tells him he could've gotten away from his assailants, while The Joker urges him to "take it easy and not leave his apartment."

“I’m not saying I talk to cartoon characters all the time," Dini tells THR, "but the characters are very real to me. In a very non-insane way."

Sounds fantastic.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 1, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Robin War is a disaster.

Ignores the developments and characterizations from every single book is being tied to it (even Grayson's). Despite the massacre committed on live television by a Talon on WAR 6 and a kid getting both a mugger AND a cop killed, Tim and Jason are perfectly fine with the movement but King doesn't bothers to to give a reason for this. Something specially baffling because Tim said that he has been monitoring the whole thing for a long time and should be aware of everything has gone down making his actions through the issue illogical. And Jason, is King honestly trying to tell me the one Robin who died in the job is perfectly fine with a bunch of untrained kids putting in risk their lives and those whom they're trying to save?, REALLY?

Damian is the one with the most logical characterization but he is being treated as a strawman that isn't seeing the big picture and is essentially just being petty.

Gordon has become just a pawn of a system that King has discarded as corrupt from the get go. This plot point is in particular the most damming of the whole issue. Despite the introductory pages (the aforementioned killing of a mugger and a cop) making clear something has to be done about the dumb kids playing at the vigilante, the "Robin Law" is presented as wrong by the simply reason of being pushed by a Court agent.

The WAR kids are pretty much generic rebel teens that are mostly there for crowd shots. Duke is the only one with a relevant role and even then, is a far cry from the characterization Snyder and Bermejo have given him.

Something I've been waiting since WAR 3 is the former Robins confronting Alfred about his insane idea of the Robin army but King ignores the plot point entirely building the narrative as it were truly the kids' idea. Thus rendering moot all the buildup set by Bermejo on the WAR title.

Finally, the way Grason is involved into the whole thing is frankly idiotic and doesn't make a lick of sense with how Grayson 14 ended.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't care about the continuity half as much as the art jumping all over the place and some bad, bad dialogue.
Not my favourite Tom King comic ever. It's handy his other comic this week is stunning, so I don't have to worry about him too much.

E: Sheriff of Babylon, that is. I forgot there's also Vision today.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 2, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think the fact the Court described the guy who killed the cop & mugger as a 'catalyst agent' and him mentioning he for some reason couldn't stop singing the 'daring young man on a flying trapeze' song, I'm guessing that kid got himself brainwashed.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

fatherboxx posted:

Too bad the comic is absolute poo poo. It is worse than Holy Terror - that thing was vile, self-referential and angry, but it was honest, this one is just inessential. At least Before Watchmen was a fanfic collection by other people, Miller decided to sign on this.

You may hate DKSA, yet every page punched and shouted, with no downtime or slumps. Even All-Star had this, thanks to Jim Lee commiting to his super-flashy style.

Wonder Woman segment was alright, but nothing special.
On the topic of Miller's work, I've started rereading The Dark Knight Returns. I first read it in 1997 as a teenager and thought it was amazing, a brilliant commentary on crime and politics. It made me think a guy like Batman was exactly what world needed to solve its problems. Wow. What a difference 18 years of growing up makes. It's a ridiculous piece of work, rather out of touch with the reality it wanted to comment on. It's not a bad work per se (it's rather fun in its own crazy way) but it's evident that Miller's descent into madness began long, long ago.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 3, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Telltale are doing a Batman game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I can't wait for this. I've never played a Telltale game, but a character-driven Batman adventure game would be excellent. The Arkham games were fantastic but didn't quite scratch that World's Greatest Detective itch. Here's hoping this game does.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If their Fables and Walking Dead games are anything to go by, this will be much better than any Batman comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I hope they grab some great voice talent because those games are pretty much all dialogue. I've been putting off finishing their Game of Thrones game because I worry about how badly I hosed up the lives of fictional characters. Can't wait to be the worst Batman.

• Locked thread