Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mcmagic posted:

Am I really a dumb rear end for thinking that cops don't go to work wanting to kill a guy for no reason?

You wouldn't say no soldiers are just in it for the killing, why assume that no cops are in it for the killing and beating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

You wouldn't say no soldiers are just in it for the killing, why assume that no cops are in it for the killing and beating?

It doesn't matter if this is true or not because the problems here are institutional, not individual. That a kid gets shot is bad, but not as bad as the thin blue line covering it up. That's the problem that needs changing and the individual problem will clear itself up.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ron Jeremy posted:

It doesn't matter if this is true or not because the problems here are institutional, not individual. That a kid gets shot is bad, but not as bad as the thin blue line covering it up. That's the problem that needs changing and the individual problem will clear itself up.

Which reminds me to ask the question how the hell did the cops even know there was a burger king camera at all to tamper with?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I figure they know enough about crime scenes to be aware of stores that are likely to have views of certain areas and asked the BK manager if had such a camera just in case.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Boon posted:

I've picked up on a trend in this election cycle that hadn't really been present, to the extend it is today, in previous elections. I initially chalked it up to just not remembering the full extent of previous primary cycles, but Vice has my back:
https://news.vice.com/article/its-increasingly-clear-facts-dont-matter-in-the-republican-presidential-primary?utm_source=vicenewsfb

I was just thinking last night how the last two election cycles have seen the GOP "get serious" and conduct some "soul searching" which only ended up resulting in a doubling down. If Trump or Cruz end up taking the nomination, or Trump runs third party and attracts a significant piece of the electorate, I think we may actually see the GOP go through an actual reformation. The GOP has been on the bandwagon of government doesn't work for so long that their electorate is fully in agreement despite all evidence to the contrary and yet, ironically, their leadership knows intrinsically that they need to operate within the framework of a functional government but are caught between doing this and advocating against doing this due to the state of their electorate. I think it's very possible that if this cycle doesn't pan out that we may actually get to see a shift in the establishment GOP towards the center with a platform that not only embraces functional government, but casts aside the economic policies that are currently championed for those that will actually benefit the middle class.

Or at least I'm hopeful :allears:

Why would Republicans soul search if they still hold a death grip on the House and state legislatures? Trump/Cruz/Carson will just somehow be found to not be THE RIGHT KIND of Conservative

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RuanGacho posted:

Which reminds me to ask the question how the hell did the cops even know there was a burger king camera at all to tamper with?

Burger King has surveillance cameras at pretty much all their locations, just like fast food chains in general. And it's not like this is the first time those cops were ever in that neighborhood.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Why would Republicans soul search if they still hold a death grip on the House and state legislatures? Trump/Cruz/Carson will just somehow be found to not be THE RIGHT KIND of Conservative

Because in 2008 and 2012 the right guy was the nominee and the presidential game was stacked against them. This time there's a very real chance that the party is forced to back someone who is not only the right guy, but someone they actively despise

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
LOL if you think the GOP will ever do any soul searching; their politics is dictated by their inability to do any.

Their whole platform is and always has been based on ignorance, greed, and a total lack of introspection.

If they did any soul searching they wouldn't be Republicans in the first place.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

LOL if you think the GOP will ever do any soul searching; their politics is dictated by their inability to do any.

Their whole platform is and always has been based on ignorance, greed, and a total lack of introspection.

Rah rah for our team and all, but I think that's a uselessly simplistic way to think of the values behind their platform.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

Their politics is based on what people want to hear. It just so happens that you can wiggle in tax cuts/regulatory cuts in with FREEDOM because people are too dumb to realize it acts against their own interests. What you see is what you get when they do soul searching.

These platforms and policies wouldn't take hold if there weren't a shitload of people out there who didn't want to hear it. If this wasn't true then Trump wouldn't be leading in primary polling. It doesn't matter if he tells straight up lies because it's what people want to hear because Muslims are bad and scary and immigrants are rapists and are taking our jobs and those are facts to a lot of people.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

This is the dumbest loving post. At least you had the good sense to flag your poo poo post by punctuating it with the "Lol if you think..."

Turns out parties have evolved continuously throughout our history and the fact that you think it's static is mind numbing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, I think there's a place for a party of accountability, independence and cutting wasteful spending while still using the federal government to promote successful projects, but the only times the Republicans resembled that were under Teddy Roosevelt and maybe Eisenhower.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Rah rah for our team and all, but I think that's a uselessly simplistic way to think of the values behind their platform.

I don't really think Republicans have any values beyond 1.) I want to pay less taxes. 2.) I don't want any of the taxes I do have to pay to fund anything going to groups I don't personally like. 3.) I want things in opposition to my religious doctrine, or what I conceive it to be, to be illegal. 4.) I am a big scared baby and I want the military and police bootheel on the neck of the "other" at all times.

I don't see why you'd need to over-complicate this to explain their politics. Every single Republican I've personally known or seen speak or read about has cared only about all or some of these things, and not much else. Their views aren't exactly complex. Most political views aren't - they tend to either revolve around a desire to primarily help yourself at the expense of others or help others and probably yourself as well.

It's not about teams; it's about one political party that has no interest in helping anyone but an already privileged few. I mean, I know there are some that want the GOP to be a "sane" party but I think it's amazingly naive to believe they've ever been sane or good for this country, post civil rights act.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

This is the dumbest loving post. At least you had the good sense to flag your poo poo post by punctuating it with the "Lol if you think..."

Turns out parties have evolved continuously throughout our history and the fact that you think it's static is mind numbing.

I never said it was static. Also, I thought it was a given that my comment on any kind of soul searching the GOP can do was based on the political climate we currently have. I do not understand why you think the GOP would do any soul searching. What, do you think the voters, donors, and party bosses will suddenly change their political views? They'll just lie more.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

Eh, I think there's a place for a party of accountability, independence and cutting wasteful spending while still using the federal government to promote successful projects, but the only times the Republicans resembled that were under Teddy Roosevelt and maybe Eisenhower.

Those aren't exclusively Republican ideas. In fact, they're the kings of wasteful spending and accountability.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The GOP primary is, at the moment, a contest of who can pander to their constituents' increasingly insane views the most using racism, xenophobia, and economic conservatism. They have about as much direction and coherence as a chicken with its head cut off.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

On Terra Firma posted:

Their politics is based on what people want to hear. It just so happens that you can wiggle in tax cuts/regulatory cuts in with FREEDOM because people are too dumb to realize it acts against their own interests. What you see is what you get when they do soul searching.

These platforms and policies wouldn't take hold if there weren't a shitload of people out there who didn't want to hear it. If this wasn't true then Trump wouldn't be leading in primary polling. It doesn't matter if he tells straight up lies because it's what people want to hear because Muslims are bad and scary and immigrants are rapists and are taking our jobs and those are facts to a lot of people.

This is all exactly my point. The people who want to hear that aren't going to go away and they're not going to vote democrat and they're not going to change their views. So, what's the benefit of soul searching?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Noam Chomsky posted:

Those aren't exclusively Republican ideas. In fact, they're the kings of wasteful spending and accountability.
They're the mythological Republican cornerstones, though they aren't what the party has been about for a long time.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

They're the mythological Republican cornerstones, though they aren't what the party has been about for a long time.

I should probably stop posting here.

People just misread and misrepresent what I've said and then quote it back to me in a different form.

Later dudes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Noam Chomsky posted:

I should probably stop posting here.

People just misread and misrepresent what I've said and then quote it back to me in a different form.

Later dudes.
I feel like we're talking past one another, but whatever.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

RuanGacho posted:

After a shooting, one of the first things that investigators do is check nearby businesses to see if they have security cameras.

Source: The First 48

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rubio: Religion supersedes the rule of law

quote:

“In essence, if we are ever ordered by a government authority to personally violate and sin — violate God’s law and sin — if we’re ordered to stop preaching the Gospel, if we’re ordered to perform a same-sex marriage as someone presiding over it, we are called to ignore that," Rubio said. "We cannot to abide by that because government is compelling us to sin."

“So when those two come into conflict, God’s rules always win,” he added.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Isn't that exactly what people were scared JFK was going to be like?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Only the GOP would look at the Handmaidens Tale and think it would be a great idea.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

"If we're ordered to do things that no one has ever ordered us to do and which would be blatantly unconstitutional if they did, we can ignore that. But also somehow that means we don't have to sell gay wedding cakes."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

"Now let me tell you of the serious threat fundamentalist Islam poses to Constitutional rule of law in this country..."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

I don't really think Republicans have any values beyond 1.) I want to pay less taxes. 2.) I don't want any of the taxes I do have to pay to fund anything going to groups I don't personally like. 3.) I want things in opposition to my religious doctrine, or what I conceive it to be, to be illegal. 4.) I am a big scared baby and I want the military and police bootheel on the neck of the "other" at all times.

I don't see why you'd need to over-complicate this to explain their politics. Every single Republican I've personally known or seen speak or read about has cared only about all or some of these things, and not much else. Their views aren't exactly complex. Most political views aren't - they tend to either revolve around a desire to primarily help yourself at the expense of others or help others and probably yourself as well.

It's not about teams; it's about one political party that has no interest in helping anyone but an already privileged few. I mean, I know there are some that want the GOP to be a "sane" party but I think it's amazingly naive to believe they've ever been sane or good for this country, post civil rights act.

You're wrong and its a common mistake ideologues make on both sides.

Young Republicans aren't out marching for those reasons, even if you feel you've described their values justly. Just like liberals aren't matching "for a handout, to destroy businesses and to enslave the white man" even if Freepers think they've described Democratic values justly.

Republicans stand for the ideal that individual will should and can triumph over all, that morality comes from religious, that less government inference helps all, and a bunch of other wrong, but not cartoonishly evil things.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The Republican base runs on a strong FYGM mentality sprinkled in with white nationalism but only for Christians.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rubio is a cuddly d&d friendly Republican. He's trash and belongs at the bottom of the Hillary's heel, the lil' bigoted gusano.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Why does anyone think this man would be a viable candidate in a GE? This stuff would get looped over and over in attack ads and anyone who maybe doesn't subscribe to the idea that theocracy is just AWESOME would turn on him.

Rubio's basically said that he wouldn't follow the law if he felt it came into conflict with God's law. Well, there's the Oath of Office out the window.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 25, 2015

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

Somewhat true. The GOP has been a largely reactionary party for decades now but there IS a crude logic to why people vote R.

Remember that these are often poor rural people who have been squeezed hard by the economy for quite a while now. Yes, it's not as bad as other groups have had it, but they ARE suffering and they're getting mad as hell about it (but lack the education to see who the real bad guys are). With this in mind take a look at each party's platform. (Remember, this is just how they are perceived and not objective reality)

Guns: The last real form of power the poor have left. Liberals want to take them away. Republicans want to give them away at kid's birthday parties.

Immigration: Illegal immigrants often directly compete with rural white workers for jobs in a manner similar to how tech professionals compete with people in India. Liberals want to legalize their competition and make the situation permanent. Republicans want to deport them all and stop much legal immigration as well.

Religion: Arguably the last real form of community in America. Liberals love to poo poo on it. Republicans want to make it stronger.

Race: Black people get all sorts of free stuff while everyone else has to work for a living. Liberals want to give them more free stuff. Republicans want to make them get a job.

And so on

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hey you know how sentencing reform had been an oddly bipartisan effort lately? Perhaps you were wondering what the catch is, in which case read on!

They want to gut criminal enforcement against industry by making "we didn't know it was illegal" a valid defense

quote:

Now, as Congress works to turn those goals into legislation, that joint effort is facing its most significant test — over a House bill that Koch Industries says would make the criminal justice system fairer, but that the Justice Department says would make it significantly harder to prosecute corporate polluters, producers of tainted food and other white-collar criminals.

The tension among the unlikely allies emerged over the last week as the House Judiciary Committee, with bipartisan support, approved a package of bills intended to simplify the criminal code and reduce unnecessarily severe sentences.

One of those bills — which has been supported by Koch Industries, libertarians and business groups — would make wholesale changes to certain federal criminal laws, requiring prosecutors to prove that suspects “knew, or had reason to believe, the conduct was unlawful,” and did not simply unknowingly violate the law.

Many laws already carry such a requirement — known as “mens rea” — but Congress left it out of many others, and libertarian groups say that has made it too easy to unknowingly violate obscure laws. Some environmentalists argue, however, that the real motive of Charles Koch, the philanthropist and the company chairman, in supporting the legislation is to block federal regulators from pursuing potential criminal actions against his family’s network of industrial and energy companies, a charge the company denies.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't see how it would be possible to ever convict someone involved in white collar crime again (which I know is the point) as long as you weren't brain dead. I hope the Dems are smart enough that bill is just going to be some forgotten joke.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Radish posted:

I don't see how it would be possible to ever convict someone involved in white collar crime again (which I know is the point) as long as you weren't brain dead. I hope the Dems are smart enough that bill is just going to be some forgotten joke.
Ponzi schemes would probably be the only exception.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Ponzi schemes would probably be the only exception.

"I was unaware that future growth wouldn't be able to cover the investments of current members"

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Alter Ego posted:

Why does anyone think this man would be a viable candidate in a GE? This stuff would get looped over and over in attack ads and anyone who maybe doesn't subscribe to the idea that theocracy is just AWESOME would turn on him.

Rubio's basically said that he wouldn't follow the law if he felt it came into conflict with God's law. Well, there's the Oath of Office out the window.

None of the GOP candidates are a good GE candidate. Rubio is the most talented and says the least amount of stupid stuff among them though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

"I was unaware that future growth wouldn't be able to cover the investments of current members"
Nah, they throw the book at you once you start stealing from rich people

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Radish posted:

Isn't that exactly what people were scared JFK was going to be like?

Isn't that exactly what people are scared Muslims are like?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

I think what a lot of people, including myself and others in this thread, are failing to recognize is that this is the first election in modern times where one party is perfectly fine with doubling down on playing to its base; making no attempt now or during the general election to gain any support from the mushy middle. In this election cycle, the GOP has convinced itself that the way to win is to turn out all of those mythical voters that didn't turn out for Romney or McCain. Nothing Rubio said will hurt him with that group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

radical meme posted:

I think what a lot of people, including myself and others in this thread, are failing to recognize is that this is the first election in modern times where one party is perfectly fine with doubling down on playing to its base; making no attempt now or during the general election to gain any support from the mushy middle. In this election cycle, the GEP has convinced itself that the way to win is to turn out all of those mythical voters that didn't turn out for Romney or McCain. Nothing The Combover Kid said will hurt him with that group.

Right, but the point is no one is thinking past the convention. Mitt Romney didn't and it burned him in the end--all that wingnut crap he had to fart out during the primary to stay in the lead fed the narrative that he was a soulless monster who'd sell his own mother for an elected office.

And none of it's going to matter if they can't stump the Trump, because their idiot base seems to trust the fascist crap coming out of his mouth more than they do coming out of the others.

• Locked thread