Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tom could pull it off if the NDP purges all the party higher ups that are calling the shots and setting the party line.

It could also rain gold from a rainbow making GBS threads unicorn over my house tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Tom Mulcair and the current orientation of the party are a package deal. I don't imagine the NDP could conceivably change directions in a significant way without dumping him.

I'm sure he'll take some lessons away from the last campaign so we might get a better presentation of policies and a bit less emphasis on fiscal conservatism (maybe) but I can't imagine a Mulcair led NDP being anything other than a less corrupt and somewhat more progressive version of the Liberal party.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Helsing posted:

Tom Mulcair and the current orientation of the party are a package deal. I don't imagine the NDP could conceivably change directions in a significant way without dumping him.

I'm sure he'll take some lessons away from the last campaign so we might get a better presentation of policies and a bit less emphasis on fiscal conservatism (maybe) but I can't imagine a Mulcair led NDP being anything other than a less corrupt and somewhat more progressive version of the Liberal party.

Granted they obviously wont tack very far to the left, so the downsides are ... :confused: Maybe hard to elect him given the current Trudeaumania.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

jm20 posted:

Granted they obviously wont tack very far to the left, so the downsides are ... :confused: Maybe hard to elect him given the current Trudeaumania.

We have 4 years of a Liberal majority. After the honeymoon, a couple dropped campaign promises, and some good old fashioned Libbing its possible for Trudeaumania to die with it. Then again, Canadians goldfish etc...

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The much more radical NDP / CCF of the past was able to exercise a lot of influence without ever winning a federal election. Canada doesn't particularly need another Liberal party, especially now that it's clear that the actual Liberal party is not on the verge of being wiped out. My preference would be for an anti-status quo party that offers a stronger alternative to the existing parties by championing policies like free tuition or significantly higher taxes on the wealthy or socialized dental care etc., hopefully while also trying to develop a stronger relationship with workers organizations and activists.

My (unrealistic) ideal would be that the NDP should not be a party lead and advised by people who go on to work at cushy political consultancy gigs or law firms. To paraphrase Tommy Douglas, mouseland needs to elect a mouse to lead it instead of choosing between the white cat or the black cat.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm more interested in what the parties will do to try and keep or steal the new voters from this election. It's also possible that the large participation increase won't repeat itself next time. Maybe if the NDP positions itself well it could make gains in usually non-voting demographics like the Liberals did.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 25, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Does anyone believe that the Tories where really running a surplus without cooking the books?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Nobody who doesn't own Truck Nutz, no.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Both numbers were based on projections that tailored variables to suit a political narrative. It might turn out that the Liberals were more right than the Cons. But at this point it's like our politicians are accusing each other of having pissed off Zeus because the augerer saw an ill portent in the beaver guts, for all the relevance it has.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Am I crazy or weren't pension increase projections discussed here months ago about adding to the deficit?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sedge and Bee posted:

Both numbers were based on projections that tailored variables to suit a political narrative. It might turn out that the Liberals were more right than the Cons. But at this point it's like our politicians are accusing each other of having pissed off Zeus because the augerer saw an ill portent in the beaver guts, for all the relevance it has.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: The Problem Attic > Canadian Political Megathread: Interpreting Beaver guts

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Frankly would have been a better title during poll frenzy in September.

edit: we'll keep it in our pocket.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Professor Shark posted:

Did the average Conservative voter even truly believe in the surplus?

Yes, because the average Conservative voter tends to believe that "the Conservatives are the only party that understands money", which is actually code for "I personally don't understand economics at all".

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I don't pretend to understand economics in the slightest but I know how google works, I can type the words "Canada federal budget" and I can divide 2 into 290.3.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Kafka Esq. posted:

Frankly would have been a better title during poll frenzy in September.

edit: we'll keep it in our pocket.

It's my go-to mental image whenever a projection or analysis or poll comes out and people treat it like objective reality.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

I don't pretend to understand economics in the slightest but I know how google works, I can type the words "Canada federal budget" and I can divide 2 into 290.3.

So you can say the cons revenue projection was only off by 0.6% and if Trudeau's refugee projection was that accurate, our nation would have only slashed 150 government sponsorships instead of 10,000?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

McCallum just announced the government will sponsor 25,000 by the end of 2016. Which still feels like less than what we could do.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 25, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sedge and Bee posted:

McCallum just announced the government will sponsor 25,000 by the end of 2016. Which still fellas like less than what we could do.

We could solve poverty in this country too but we don't. Humans are garbage.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ikantski posted:

So you can say the cons revenue projection was only off by 0.6% and if Trudeau's refugee projection was that accurate, our nation would have only slashed 150 government sponsorships instead of 10,000?

If by slashed you mean temporarily delayed, and also if the original 25,000 number had been based on the product of criminal mismanagement and a sloppy coverup then yeah I guess so.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sedge and Bee posted:

McCallum just announced the government will sponsor 25,000 by the end of 2016. Which still feels like less than what we could do.

Is this in addition to the 10k government sponsored or including? I was under the impression we would have 100k government sponsored refugees in total, but at this rate it is likely to be less than half that. I sincerely hope they don't back down from that commitment.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

UBC? More like DOUCHE BC

quote:

A suit filed in B.C. Supreme Court claims a former University of British Columbia associate dean of dentistry siphoned millions of dollars away from clinics set up to serve First Nations patients in Haida Gwaii.

Canada's attorney general is suing Christopher Zed and the university for fraud and negligence in connection with money Health Canada gave UBC to provide dental services in Skidegate and Old Massett Village.

The government claims it was overbilled by $3.3 million from April 2002 to September 2013; the suit claims $2 million worth of patient billings were allegedly diverted to bank accounts controlled by the dentist.

"Dr. Zed's spending behaviour contravened the most basic expectations of an official entrusted to manage the Haida Dental Project for the benefit of marginalized and vulnerable communities," the statement of claim says.

According to the lawsuit Zed worked in various capacities during his tenure at UBC, receiving attention for providing dental care to athletes at the 2010 Winter Olympics. He is from a well-known New Brunswick family, and is the brother of former Liberal MP Paul Zed.

The suit claims he was dismissed in 2013, when he was associate dean of strategic and external affairs with the faculty of dentistry.

Health Canada claims it entered into several contracts with the university to provide dental care to First Nations residents in Haida Gwaii who weren't covered by provincial health benefits or private insurance.

In addition to paying for dental services, supplies and travel incurred by UBC, Ottawa fully funded and equipped two dental clinics in Skidegate and Old Massett Village.

But according to the statement of claim, UBC contacted Health Canada in November 2013 to say "it had concerns regarding the financial operations of the Haida Dental Project."

The university "believed that Canada had been over-billed for salaries related to dental residents, administrative services and hygienist services."

It's alleged revenues for third-party billings for patients not covered by the program may also have been used improperly.

The federal government claims UBC didn't provide the details of its investigation until March 2015, almost a year after it was completed.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 25, 2015

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
What is it with dentists?

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Sedge and Bee posted:

Considering that Germany is taking in 6 - 8,000 per day, then yeah, we sure as hell could be doing a whole lot more.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Is this in addition to the 10k government sponsored or including? I was under the impression we would have 100k government sponsored refugees in total, but at this rate it is likely to be less than half that. I sincerely hope they don't back down from that commitment.

Including. CBC says "Current numbers are 10k by the end of the year, 25k by Feb. 2016, and then 35k or more by end of 2016." 10k of the 35k are private sponsorships.

So instead of sponsoring 25k refugees in 2 months like he promised, his deadline slipped a little and he's sponsoring 25k refugees in 14 months. I can't believe the Trudeau Meter douchebags are giving him a hard time about this, he's still keeping at least half his promise, he never said poo poo about bringing any in 2016.

flakeloaf posted:

criminal mismanagement and a sloppy coverup

What is this?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Ikantski posted:

Including. CBC says "Current numbers are 10k by the end of the year, 25k by Feb. 2016, and then 35k or more by end of 2016." 10k of the 35k are private sponsorships.

So instead of sponsoring 25k refugees in 2 months like he promised, his deadline slipped a little and he's sponsoring 25k refugees in 14 months. I can't believe the Trudeau Meter douchebags are giving him a hard time about this, he's still keeping at least half his promise, he never said poo poo about bringing any in 2016.

It's just listed as a broken promise. It technically is. They're not giving anyone a hard time about it.

TrudeauMetre posted:

It would appear we have our first broken promise... Given the circumstances, probably understandable:
https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/promise/5201

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Weird BIAS posted:

You can't kill people to demonstrate your power, so you siphon money from them.

Like lawyers.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

What is this?

I thought it was 25k a year for 4 years but I think I'm confusing the NDP and Liberal plan

https://www.liberal.ca/liberals-commit-to-leadership-on-syrian-refugee-crisis/

http://www.cicnews.com/2015/09/canadas-political-parties-stand-refugee-intake-096067.html

NDP: We will begin by accepting 10,000 Syrian refugees by the end of this year, in addition to another 36,000 over the next four years
Liberal: Expand Canada’s intake to 25,000 refugees from Syria through immediate, direct sponsorship by the Government of Canada. We will also work with private sponsors to intake even more

These promises are so weak :negative:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ikantski posted:

What is this?

Harper improvidently sold government assets, slashed the annual contingency fund and mismanaged departmental budgets so that piles of money that ought to have been spent wasn't, all so he'd have a way to crow about a rounding-error sized "surplus". If that's not illegal then it damned well should be.

Weird BIAS posted:

Probably saw a chance to profit from screwing over Native people and decided to do the Canadian-est thing they could think of.

e: jesus christ bunny I want to be more than a one-note "conservatives crooked" poster in this thread and you are not helping.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
^^^^ Sorta like that^^^

CBC reporting that the judge in the NL residental school class action case has found the the Government of Canada abused process for 8 years, delaying the case for that long.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Ikantski posted:

What is this?

so we're looking at 50 - 60 thousand by end 2016? or just 35?

either way not enough :smith: I was hoping the 25k number was just short term and we would step it up as we went

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/25/rcmp-boss-wants-warrantless-access-to-online-subscriber-information

OTTAWA -- RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson says the police force needs warrantless access to Internet subscriber information to keep pace with child predators and other online criminals.

In June last year, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled police must have a judge's authorization to obtain customer data linked to online activities.

The high court rejected the notion the federal privacy law governing companies allowed them to hand over subscriber identities voluntarily.

:qq: Police say telecommunications companies and other service providers -- such as banks and rental companies -- now demand court approval for nearly all types of requests from authorities for basic identifying information. :qq:

Paulson says he advocates an administrative scheme that would give police ready access to a customer's name and address while respecting the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The Supreme Court judgment came amid mounting public concern about authorities quietly gaining access to customer information with little oversight.

Just burn the RCMP down already

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Help we need warrantless search to stop terrorists child molesters terrorists child molesters!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why can't they just go to court and get a warrant if they have evidence that a given IP has been involved in online crime?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

because they watched The Wire too many times and saw the "bad guys" getting away with murder and drug stuff while the noble police were stuck at the courthouse waiting for the bureaucrats to sign papers

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aces High posted:

because they watched The Wire too many times and saw the "bad guys" getting away with murder and drug stuff while the noble police were stuck at the courthouse waiting for the bureaucrats to sign papers

There's a LOT of people out there that think crime has been going up for decades and a big cause of that is that "criminals have too many protections" and "the police's hands are tied". LIke back in the day we let cops be cops and fight crime, but now all these lawyers and bleeding hearts prevent cops from even investigating or stopping crime, and anyone arrested just gets let out on some technicality. They of course get this impression entirely from TV and movies and the odd anecdote.

These people also of course take accusations of police brutality, corruption, or incompetence with a grain of salt because it's just more anti-cop pro-criminal propaganda from our bleeding heart soft on crime society. Cops only beat criminals, so why are people upset about criminals being punished?

It's just like the drone operator guy. The cops are experts at crime, they're on the streets fighting the war on crime and no one knows better than them. So if they're beating the poo poo out of someone or trampling on someone's rights they have a good reason, they know the person's a crim. All the "innocent" people brutalized by the police deserved it, they just appear "innocent" because of the drat pro-criminal legal system and media. It's all propaganda and exaggerations as part of the coordinated war on police.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

Why can't they just go to court and get a warrant if they have evidence that a given IP has been involved in online crime?

I have personally done this exact thing. In about four hours, with no specific training on search warrants, I was able to figure out what I needed, type up the affidavit, draft the warrant, walk it to the courthouse, swear it in, wait around for a bit and then get it back from the JP. If you're literate and you're anywhere close to having your poo poo together, getting a warrant is no barrier whatsoever. I haven't so much as seen a gun in eight years and I could still probably bang out a passable warrant in under an hour.

If there are exigencies that demand you get that information before the wait, like you're literally watching someone raping a child on live webcam right now (not a :tinfoil: example, sadly) then you call the JP's office and you get a telewarrant. Again, not hard.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 26, 2015

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

PT6A posted:

"Policing's so hard man, all this paperwork, I could be using my union-mandated overtime to spy on that bitch Brenda through her Rogers account if it weren't for this stupid 'privacy'."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Aces High posted:

This is a weird interpretation of The Wire.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:stonk: CTV just reported that the VON is shutting down in six provinces. That's.... that's really bad. They do some pretty awesome work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Helsing posted:

This is a weird interpretation of The Wire.

People thought Walter White was the good guy.