Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Ron Jeremy posted:

It doesn't matter if this is true or not because the problems here are institutional, not individual. That a kid gets shot is bad, but not as bad as the thin blue line covering it up. That's the problem that needs changing and the individual problem will clear itself up.

That is close to the crux of the issue. The fact that it is always covered up leads into the main problem that the police rarely get punished for it. There isn't as much incentive not to blow any and every threat away when all you get is a slap on the wrist and paid leave.

Shifty Pony posted:

Hey you know how sentencing reform had been an oddly bipartisan effort lately? Perhaps you were wondering what the catch is, in which case read on!

They want to gut criminal enforcement against industry by making "we didn't know it was illegal" a valid defense

Sounds like somebody saw that old Dave Chapelle bit and had a brilliant idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Internet Webguy posted:

That is close to the crux of the issue. The fact that it is always covered up leads into the main problem that the police rarely get punished for it. There isn't as much incentive not to blow any and every threat away when all you get is a slap on the wrist and paid leave.

Sounds like somebody saw that old Dave Chapelle bit and had a brilliant idea.

Now I picture every rich Republican rear end in a top hat as a guy named Chip going "That was good, wasn't it?" :smug:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

readingatwork posted:

Religion: Arguably the last real form of community in America. Liberals love to poo poo on it. Republicans want to make it stronger.

Yes, stronger so long as it is a Judeo-Christian religion.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Noam Chomsky posted:

LOL if you think the GOP will ever do any soul searching; their politics is dictated by their inability to do any.

Their whole platform is and always has been based on ignorance, greed, and a total lack of introspection.

If they did any soul searching they wouldn't be Republicans in the first place.

They have to jettison the evangelicals eventually because their theocratic insanity doesn't fly with younger Republicans who eventually will be taking control of the party. The real question is when and how they're going to do this.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radish posted:

I don't see how it would be possible to ever convict someone involved in white collar crime again (which I know is the point) as long as you weren't brain dead. I hope the Dems are smart enough that bill is just going to be some forgotten joke.

The only way I could see getting a conviction would be "you have an entire legal department devoted to regulatory compliance, so you should have known this was illegal.". But that's a much much higher bar to clear than current law.

Besides as we saw with Alberto Gonzalez "I don't remember" goes a long way.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Frabba posted:

Yes, stronger so long as it is a Judeo-Christian religion.

You say that like there are others. :smug:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

MaxxBot posted:

They have to jettison the evangelicals eventually because their theocratic insanity doesn't fly with younger Republicans who eventually will be taking control of the party. The real question is when and how they're going to do this.

Hahaha I hate to break it to you but those young evangelicals exist too and they aren't even calculating about it they just vote R because of course you do, voting for a Democrat would be tantamount to sinning.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

Hahaha I hate to break it to you but those young evangelicals exist too and they aren't even calculating about it they just vote R because of course you do, voting for a Democrat would be tantamount to sinning.

There are even self-proclaimed liberals on this very forum who've said they'd rather vote Republican than support Democrats who disagree with them on a litmus test issue.

At least with evangelicals, it is literally sinning we're talking about.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

RuanGacho posted:

Those young evangelicals support gay marriage, legal weed, and other socially liberal positions. The only issue where the evangelicals haven't lost the younger generation on is abortion.

That doesn't mean they won't vote Republican but the very cozy relationship between the Republican party and whackjob evangelical activists who basically want a Christian ISIS has to end eventually. Those positions are becoming increasingly less mainstream and eventually they will become a liability.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 25, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MaxxBot posted:

Those young evangelicals support gay marriage, legal weed, and other socially liberal positions. The only issue where the evangelicals haven't lost the younger generation on is abortion.

Nope. Young Evangelicals (and even young chuch-goers) are still extremely anti-gay.

https://www.barna.org/barna-update/culture/723-christians-react-to-the-legalization-of-same-sex-marriage-9-key-findings#.VZeT_hOqqkp

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Shifty Pony posted:

Hey you know how sentencing reform had been an oddly bipartisan effort lately? Perhaps you were wondering what the catch is, in which case read on!

They want to gut criminal enforcement against industry by making "we didn't know it was illegal" a valid defense
Ignorantia* juris non excusat

* willful counts!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Solkanar512 posted:

That's not what he's loving saying, quit being so loving dense. His point is at trying to understand why a cop suddenly decides it's a good idea to unload over a dozen bullets into someone who's clearly not a threat.

does he not believe that police departments are just as capable of being racist, bootstrapping, poor hating, insular echo chambers as any other conservative organization, or something

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If anything, a reformation in the party is going to occur over economic issues. Tax breaks for the rich will always be a thing, but it WILL become untenable to keep loving the middle class.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In which Martin Shkreli discovers that he can still go further in his quest to be the most hated person in the US.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mister Macys posted:

does he not believe that police departments are just as capable of being racist, bootstrapping, poor hating, insular echo chambers as any other conservative organization, or something

Why are you asking me this as if he's not around to answer this himself?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So that group that marched around with guns in front of the mosque in Irvine, TX is now publishing the home addresses of local Muslims or rather, the people that opposed a SHARIA LAW BAN after false rumors that the mosque was trying to take over the city spread last year, along with death threats. Great.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I've seen higher numbers in other polls.

http://blogs.voanews.com/all-about-america/2015/03/18/support-for-gay-marriage-grows-among-young-us-evangelicals/

Either way the country as a whole is growing more liberal on gay rights and other social issues and eventually it's going to become a liability to keep pandering to a minority that's increasingly out of step with the population at large.

Already you see a majority of young Republicans supporting gay marriage and legal marijuana, the party can't just ignore them and their increasingly large amount of donor money forever.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

I've seen higher numbers in other polls.

http://blogs.voanews.com/all-about-america/2015/03/18/support-for-gay-marriage-grows-among-young-us-evangelicals/

Either way the country as a whole is growing more liberal on gay rights and other social issues and eventually it's going to become a liability to keep pandering to a minority that's increasingly out of step with the population at large.

Already you see a majority of young Republicans supporting gay marriage and legal marijuana, the party can't just ignore them and their increasingly large amount of donor money forever.

Wouldn't the ones with money to donate be ones who will never not vote Republican because of their gently caress you got mine fiscal policy?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Young evangelicals who are pro weed/gays/etc aren't part of that bloc because they're fleeing it in record numbers

The GOP/evangelical machine will end when Jesus freaks are a rare and dying breed which will be sooner rather than later

Another decade or two and the religious tax exemption is going to be on the chopping block in a serious way and they know it, and it's not going to be the GOP pushing for it so why split now?

Funny thing is if the religious right was a bit more socially liberal they could be winding up to another revival but they're dying off instead

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Radish posted:

Isn't that exactly what people were scared JFK was going to be like?

No you see JFK was going to obey the Pope, while these people directly report to God so there's no way some evil Catholic man can taint American Religious Purity! :pseudo:

Also the people who had those JFK fears were largely the extremely religious Protestants weren't they? I'd say they have overlap with the Tea Party but it's basically the same people and their kids (and grandkids).

Radish posted:

I don't see how it would be possible to ever convict someone involved in white collar crime again (which I know is the point) as long as you weren't brain dead. I hope the Dems are smart enough that bill is just going to be some forgotten joke.

Oh you sweet summer child.

Non-practicing Christians holding views more in-line with Christ than active, street-corner-screaming Christians is not surprising considering that group is likely a lot of people who are in agreement with the general good teachings of Jesus and not so much on the Church's mainly issues.

(Also it's the group that Francis likely appeals to more, since practicing (hard right) Catholics tend to be against him and side with assholes like Dolan)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Young evangelicals who are pro weed/gays/etc aren't part of that bloc because they're fleeing it in record numbers

The GOP/evangelical machine will end when Jesus freaks are a rare and dying breed which will be sooner rather than later

Of course, the original "Jesus Freaks" were the liberal christians.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

There are even self-proclaimed liberals on this very forum who've said they'd rather vote Republican than support Democrats who disagree with them on a litmus test issue.

At least with evangelicals, it is literally sinning we're talking about.

On man, the G*N thread :allears:

Thankfully, the Young Evangelicals crowd is starting to thin with age.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Epic High Five posted:

Another decade or two and the religious tax exemption is going to be on the chopping block in a serious way and they know it, and it's not going to be the GOP pushing for it so why split now?

Funny thing is if the religious right was a bit more socially liberal they could be winding up to another revival but they're dying off instead

Evangelicals are basically the only Christian group in the country that's not losing population share. It's the more socially liberal mainline traditions that are dwindling.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

You're wrong and its a common mistake ideologues make on both sides.

Young Republicans aren't out marching for those reasons, even if you feel you've described their values justly. Just like liberals aren't matching "for a handout, to destroy businesses and to enslave the white man" even if Freepers think they've described Democratic values justly.

Republicans stand for the ideal that individual will should and can triumph over all, that morality comes from religious, that less government inference helps all, and a bunch of other wrong, but not cartoonishly evil things.

Those are basically just dressed-up versions of what I said...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NippleFloss posted:

Evangelicals are basically the only Christian group in the country that's not losing population share.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

Those are basically just dressed-up versions of what I said...

Do you see how someone calling "human rights, equal treatment under the law, and a system that doesn't drat you for being poor" a dressed-up version of "give me handouts, kill whitey and enslave straight men" wouldn't really useful?

Trying to minimize the values choices behind those you disagree with only serves to further dehumanize them and prevent you from truly understanding their motives.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

NippleFloss posted:

Evangelicals are basically the only Christian group in the country that's not losing population share. It's the more socially liberal mainline traditions that are dwindling.

They're bleeding members too, just not as fast as the rest. Meanwhile irreligious sentiment has been raising faster than it ever has

They're ALREADY having to bus people in from states over just to get a good protest going

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

They're bleeding members too, just not as fast as the rest. Meanwhile irreligious sentiment has been raising faster than it ever has

They're ALREADY having to bus people in from states over just to get a good protest going

With the Evangelicals, they get a lot of their numbers from the whole 'Quiverfull' breeding crap going on, but a lot of their numbers are likely artificially inflated as well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

NippleFloss posted:

Right, ish.

I think the bigger threat to GOP evangelical support isn't that younger evangelicals don't hate gays enough (because they totally do) but that young evangelicals are much more environmentally conscious than older evangelicals and are more likely to trust scientific research regarding global warming:

That won't go over well with the resource extraction side of the GOP.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you see how someone calling "human rights, equal treatment under the law, and a system that doesn't drat you for being poor" a dressed-up version of "give me handouts, kill whitey and enslave straight men" wouldn't really useful?

Trying to minimize the values choices behind those you disagree with only serves to further dehumanize them and prevent you from truly understanding their motives.

The difference here being that the policies of the party I was talking about have been shown to be harmful to society, democracy, the general person, the environment, minorities, LBGTQ folks, etc. - pretty much everyone but the super rich. You're just spouting crap talk-radio says about the Democrats and claiming it's the same thing.

I understand their motives. They're just lovely motives. I have more conservative friends and family members than I care to mention. I've had many a non-confrontational political discussion with them, to understand why they believe as they do. It always boils down to "News outlet I trust (Fox/Rush/The American Thinker) said a thing! I believe it! Society is crumbling! Obummer!" That is really as complex as it gets for most, for those that are not actively malicious anyway.

Sadly, most Republicanism just boils down to racism. I can see how someone might not want to be a Democrat - sometimes I don't - but I see no reason to be a Republican unless you just want to make absolutely sure brown people don't live decent lives.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 25, 2015

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
The 2016 election as Magic: The Gathering cards

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

I understand their motives. They're just lovely motives. I have more conservative friends and family members than I care to mention. I've had many a non-confrontational political discussion with them, to understand why they believe as they do. It always boils down to "News outlet I trust (Fox/Rush/The American Thinker) said a thing! I believe it! Society is crumbling! Obummer!" That is really as complex as it gets for most, for those that are not actively malicious anyway.

Sadly, most Republicanism just boils down to racism. I can see how someone might not want to be a Democrat - sometimes I don't - but I see no reason to be a Republican unless you just want to make absolutely sure brown people don't live decent lives.

I think this post pretty much proves you don't understand their motives. If you believe regulations are killing America, that morality comes from God, or even just that guns are the best ever, it can be morally justified to support the Republican Party.

You and I come to different moral calculations than Republicans because we have vastly different values and sources of information than they do.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

The Benghazi card is great.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Yes? Evangelicals lost less than 1% of total population share over seven years versus mail line Protestants or Catholics that are shrinking three or four times faster.

Epic High Five posted:

They're not bleeding members, they're just not adding new ones fast enough to keep up with population growth. But they're still the single largest self-identifying religious group and nearly 1/4 people identifies as evangelical as of that 2014 Pew poll.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

The difference here being that the policies of the party I was talking about have been shown to be harmful to society, democracy, the general person, the environment, minorities, LBGTQ folks, etc. - pretty much everyone but the super rich. You're just spouting crap talk-radio says about the Democrats and claiming it's the same thing.

You're a treat

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

The last time I went to my hippie unitarian church we were the only ones there under 60 and the "sermon" was pretty all about grieving and loss.

On the plus side, they still had a kick rear end day care.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

We goons did a bunch more of these a while back, if you want more.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mister Macys posted:

I'm asking out loud, like a detective.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Our thread was better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

News: