Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

News:

Views:

:cawg:

:aaa:

Is there just a stream of "Get hosed" comments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

News:

Views:

There an article about boomers titled: "Dear old fucks: DIE?"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

News:

Views:

"But we have worked so hard on the Economic FuckBarrel, why don't you want to hop in?" :confuoot:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
America is apparently the only country with a social pressure for kids to buy their own houses. loving eighteen year old moochers.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Good. Kill it dead. Salt the Earth.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Boon posted:

:aaa:

Is there just a stream of "Get hosed" comments?

Dear millennials, please buy us out of our overpriced property investments.

Signed,
A bunch of fuckers

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

I think this post pretty much proves you don't understand their motives. If you believe regulations are killing America, that morality comes from God, or even just that guns are the best ever, it can be morally justified to support the Republican Party.

You and I come to different moral calculations than Republicans because we have vastly different values and sources of information than they do.

I know that's what they believe. I simply don't care. Those beliefs are incorrect. It being "morally justified" to support the Republican party, despite there being nothing moral about it, is not even what I've been talking about. You've basically said "Well, if you believe in what the GOP believes, then it's OK to be a Republican!" Who gives a gently caress? That's obvious.

Actually it's just plain old ignorance and identity politics. It's cultural. Even if you give them different information, they'll cling to their views anyway.

What's the point of being an apologist for Republicans? Did I offend you in some way? Are you a former or current Republican? Lots of Republican friends and family?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

You're a treat

So are you, friend! :)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Good Citizen posted:

Signed,
A bunch of fuckers

If you guys don't buy these house at inflated prices then we can't keep flipping them to make a bunch of money like the nice guy on the radio said. :qq:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The non old people in my neighborhood have it right. 4-5 cars each which translates to 4-5 separate incomes for one domicile. gently caress your housing market and definitely gently caress your parking.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Good Citizen posted:

Signed,
A bunch of fuckers

During the height of the housing bubble they rushed and built a waterfront 15-story condo building here. The market crashed halfway through and they sold 2 out of the hundred or so units. Then a year later the thing was nearly condemned because it was built so shoddily that it was ready to fall over. :toot:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Trabisnikof posted:

You and I come to different moral calculations than Republicans because we have vastly different values and sources of information than they do.

Whose sources do you think present a more realistic view of how the world actually works? There are plenty of conservative beliefs that are just empirically wrong, and like Noam Chomsky said, a lot of Republican voters vote based on race (either consciously or unconsciously) for policies than end up doing verifiable damage to their own wellbeing. The motives of many conservative voters are not only irrational, but often contradictory and self-defeating.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

baw posted:

Whose sources do you think present a more realistic view of how the world actually works? There are plenty of conservative beliefs that are just empirically wrong, and like Noam Chomsky said, a lot of Republican voters vote based on race (either consciously or unconsciously) for policies than end up doing verifiable damage to their own wellbeing. The motives of many conservative voters are not only irrational, but often contradictory and self-defeating.

Infowars, Drudge, and Allenwest.com (war criminal site beware) all help keep up the smoke around their bubble.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you guys don't buy these house at inflated prices then we can't keep flipping them to make a bunch of money like the nice guy on the radio said. :qq:

It really can't be overstated how much the baby boomers sold away the possibilities for their children in every lovely way possible.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Trabisnikof posted:

Republicans stand for the ideal that individual will should and can triumph over all, that morality comes from religious, that less government inference helps all, and a bunch of other wrong, but not cartoonishly evil things.

That more accurately describes libertarians, Republicans love their individual liberty and government non-interference in an extremely selective and hypocritical manner. Libertarians are at least consistent in their ideology even though the outcome isn't much better.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

With the Evangelicals, they get a lot of their numbers from the whole 'Quiverfull' breeding crap going on, but a lot of their numbers are likely artificially inflated as well.

So what you're saying is that it works?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Part of the NDAA Obama signed today was a provision from Senators McCain and Flake prohibiting the DoD from sponsoring patriotic shows at sporting events.

Also, a provision prohibiting any of the prisoners at Guantanamo from being relocated to the US.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Also, a provision prohibiting any of the prisoners at Guantanamo from being relocated to the US.

What hellhole have we been releasing them to instead? Was it Morocco?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Wanted to followup on a discussion in USPol the other day and say thanks. Thanks to the folk who recommended places in the Duluth/Superior area. Thanks to you, I get a break from 20 hours of driving and get to enjoy some good bluegrass with decent food.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What hellhole have we been releasing them to instead? Was it Morocco?

Unless there's something I'm missing recently, it's seems like just standard operating procedure from the past few years, i.e. get some agreements to send the prisoners elsewhere which takes time and money but is slowly getting done.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Coelacanthian posted:

Whatever. Grand Rapids is by and large pretty progressive despite the VanAndel / DeVos influence. The problem, as with pretty much anywhere, is when you get outside of major population centers. Between GR and Lansing is a wasteland, as are all the goofy little communities around GR like Hudsonville, Zeeland (kill me), and Holland. Not like the East side is immune from it. Sorry for the Michi-chat, just repping for my West Michigan progressives. :buddy:

Jackson :cripes:
aka "Birthplace of the Republican Party"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Far, far better than Benton Harbor.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Lol Trump openly citing InfoWars now.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/669672417774694400?s=17

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

News:

Views:

God baby boomers are some of the most entitled shits on the face of the earth

We hosed you over so you make less then we did, have less of a social safety net then we did, have much larger student loan debt then we did, hosed the infrastructure so its gonna fall apart in your 30s and 40s, made retirement a dream for your entire generation, and will leave you with nothing for Medicare. Now buy these houses at our massive inflated costs so we can continue to live easy life styles off of selling you out

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Istvun posted:

So what you're saying is that it works?

Not if those kids don't stick around, and a lot of them don't. Even in the most extreme, cultish environments half of the kids (the boys) get chased out to water down the competition for the geezers in charge

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

News:

Views:

No one seems to blame the real estate speculators, only millenials who can't afford continuously inflated rents and mortgages.

Strange.

Almost like... Blaming the victim???

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This has gained traction, which is good, because him quoting that white supremacist graphic somehow didn't.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

No one seems to blame the real estate speculators, only millenials who can't afford continuously inflated rents and mortgages.

Strange.

Almost like... Blaming the victim???
It's the same as conservatives blaming the government for loaning to poor people supposedly causing the '08 crash, instead of the big banks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My brother went to school with one of the suspects in the white supremacist shooting in Minneapolis.

Mighty Whitey in all his glory. Nice choice of quote.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Jackson :cripes:
aka "Birthplace of the Republican Party"

I think all Michiganders, despite our differences, can come together and agree on, "gently caress Jackson forever".

(also, gently caress Ann Arbor)

Luigi Thirty posted:

During the height of the housing bubble they rushed and built a waterfront 15-story condo building here. The market crashed halfway through and they sold 2 out of the hundred or so units. Then a year later the thing was nearly condemned because it was built so shoddily that it was ready to fall over. :toot:

Where was this?

Coelacanthian posted:

Whatever. Grand Rapids is by and large pretty progressive despite the VanAndel / DeVos influence. The problem, as with pretty much anywhere, is when you get outside of major population centers. Between GR and Lansing is a wasteland, as are all the goofy little communities around GR like Hudsonville, Zeeland (kill me), and Holland. Not like the East side is immune from it. Sorry for the Michi-chat, just repping for my West Michigan progressives. :buddy:

Eh, fair. I poo poo on the West Side because of the Dutch Mafia, but god drat if Oakland County isn't one of the worst places in the world. It's a shame that it wasn't Brooks Patterson on that snowmobile.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 26, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!
Young Orc
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/11/25/9800940/fox-news-chicago-black-on-black-crime

Speaking of the right talking about black on black crime.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

They're not bleeding members, they're just not adding new ones fast enough to keep up with population growth. But they're still the single largest self-identifying religious group and nearly 1/4 people identifies as evangelical as of that 2014 Pew poll.

Nearly the same portion identify as non religious, yet almost no politicians are, or will even acknowledge lack of religion as a valid stance. But that will change. No religious affiliation grew more than six percent during the same period that the slowest declining Christian religion lost one percent. I think religion is on its way out, finally, as non religious population gains critical mass. The GOP is going to have an interesting challenge detaching themselves from that anchor.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

I need to darken my monitor because that whiteness is blinding.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ColdPie posted:

Nearly the same portion identify as non religious, yet almost no politicians are, or will even acknowledge lack of religion as a valid stance. But that will change. No religious affiliation grew more than six percent during the same period that the slowest declining Christian religion lost one percent. I think religion is on its way out, finally, as non religious population gains critical mass. The GOP is going to have an interesting challenge detaching themselves from that anchor.

religions ebbs and flows from enlightenment to awakening

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Judge Posner tore up a bullshit abortion law, and although the SCOTUS won't be quite as colorful, I absolutely agree that the court isn't about to overturn Roe or Casey.

http://abovethelaw.com/2015/11/judge-posner-drops-truth-bombs-like-it-aint-no-thang/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A little late but goddamn are these great, especially Benghazi

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Casimir Radon posted:

My brother went to school with one of the suspects in the white supremacist shooting in Minneapolis.

He is aware Blazing Saddles was anti-racist right? Like, that was literally 90% of :thejoke:.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Noam Chomsky posted:

I know that's what they believe. I simply don't care. Those beliefs are incorrect. It being "morally justified" to support the Republican party, despite there being nothing moral about it, is not even what I've been talking about. You've basically said "Well, if you believe in what the GOP believes, then it's OK to be a Republican!" Who gives a gently caress? That's obvious.

Actually it's just plain old ignorance and identity politics. It's cultural. Even if you give them different information, they'll cling to their views anyway.

What's the point of being an apologist for Republicans? Did I offend you in some way? Are you a former or current Republican? Lots of Republican friends and family?

If you're gonna be named Noam Chomsky you should really rethink some of this stuff

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

KiteAuraan posted:

He is aware Blazing Saddles was anti-racist right? Like, that was literally 90% of :thejoke:.
Of course. Why else would they show it on CMT all the time?

Nice how he self censored the quote because originally it refers to "jumping around like a bunch of Kansas City Faggots!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

KiteAuraan posted:

It's like the Dave Chappell show. A disturbing percentage of the people quoting it just want to be able to yell the n word without consequence.

• Locked thread