Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Still no Courier skins which I find hilarious. I'm hoping that Horizons teaser with the painted Viper MkIV means that the new ships will have some paintjobs available on the store when 1.5/2.0 drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is this game at all comparable to Freelancer or contain the gameplay loop of shooting dudes/mining/getting jobs to get money to get a better ship?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

On the one hand, I'll probably be upgrading my cobra/viper to the mk4's, so the paintjobs won't apply...

on the other hand :britain::britain::britain::britain::britain::britain::britain:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8lD37ey74c

"Something something he didn't attempt to land."
:goonsay:

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Alehkhs posted:

nngh, no space to surface flight yet, it's a shame there's only atmosphere-free planets cause frontier are already pretty good at blue balls

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Morter posted:

Is this game at all comparable to Freelancer or contain the gameplay loop of shooting dudes/mining/getting jobs to get money to get a better ship?

Yes, that's what comprises the central mechanic, actually. Almost all of E:D is spent in a cockpit, earning money and ranks by doing things that will allow you to purchase better ships to earn money and ranks faster. There's also a robust outfitting mechanic where you'll spend time picking modules to suit the focus of your ship, and a bunch of background stuff that, depending on the phase of the moon, may or may not be operating as intended.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Morter posted:

It is almost exactly like the core gameplay ideas of Freelancer's multiplayer if you ever played that (which was in turn basically built on some of the ideas from the original space sims like Frontier: Elite). There's also space trucking huge quantities of stuff from one system to another to get paid. The flight model is more flight sim than Freelancer's, though.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

ED is $15 on Steam right now. If you preorder Horizons while owning the base game it's $15 (10gbp) off.

Just putting that out there for the people who wanted to get the game but didn't want to pay extra.

You would also get the free Cobra when Horizons drops which is not a bad ship to just get handed as a newbie.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 25, 2015

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Stanko-Prussian posted:

nngh, no space to surface flight yet, it's a shame there's only atmosphere-free planets cause frontier are already pretty good at blue balls

loving destroyed

Edit: I'm having a hell of time deciding which discounted paint pack(s) I wanna get, and for which ship(s)...

kalel fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 25, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Space Skeleton posted:

ED is $15 on Steam right now. If you preorder Horizons while owning the base game it's $15 (10gbp) off.

Just putting that out there for the people who wanted to get the game but didn't want to pay extra.

You would also get the free Cobra when Horizons drops which is not a bad ship to just get handed as a newbie.

I don't think the Cobra Mk IV is free, you just get the license to buy and use it.

They've also added another benefit to preordering:

get hosed space romney goldskin havers

And one for every ship in the game excluding CQC fighters.

e:

Literally Kermit posted:

Our system, 63 G. Capricorni (aka "Mother Goat") has over 9 billion (American billion) citizens
I wonder what life would be like for these people.

Sard fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 25, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Alehkhs posted:

He didn't attempt to land no, but at 29ish seconds in you see his radar show 'Fung's Claim' on the surface of Europa. Europa also has an atmosphere.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Finally my Stealth ships will actually look like they were designed for stealth.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Those black skins look very nice. Especially on ships like the Anaconda where they have the white edges to make the contrast pop.

Note that anyone who has already preordered or has a lifetime expansion pass will automatically get the black skins as well.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quote:

Don’t worry, all Commanders who have already pre-ordered Horizons, including those with the lifetime expansion pass, and those with Horizons beta access, will also be given the Midnight paint job pack

:holy: gently caress :holy: yeah :holy:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp that's actually pretty loving dope.

I'm pretty sure that means that everyone that preorders Horizons gets the Midnight skins for all the new ships; correct me if I'm wrong.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Oh yeah! Black clipper! I hope there is a midnight skin for the clipper

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sekenr posted:

Oh yeah! Black clipper! I hope there is a midnight skin for the clipper

There's 29 skins included so one for every ship :getin:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Offer finishes on Dec 1st apparently so you still have time to decide if you're on the fence.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Space Skeleton posted:

I've been popping in and out of the thread for the past year waiting for a good time to pick up E:D. I just wanted to clarify the situation. Horizons will drop in December and will bump E:D back to a full price of 60$ right? If I get the base game for 15$ now, I'll still have to pay full price for Horizons in a month?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I still want/need a white skin for my Anaconda.

Although 29 implies stealth cutter :getin:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

I've been popping in and out of the thread for the past year waiting for a good time to pick up E:D. I just wanted to clarify the situation. Horizons will drop in December and will bump E:D back to a full price of 60$ right? If I get the base game for 15$ now, I'll still have to pay full price for Horizons in a month?

If you buy the game now it is $15. If you buy Horizons while owning the base game now (or for a short time after Horizons launches) it is $15 cheaper than usual.

Full price Horizons is $60 but includes the base game, but you cannot play it til Horizons launches.

No matter what you will pay $60 to get ED + Horizons as a new player. Now you have the option of getting the base game to play now while we all wait for Horizons while still spending the same $60.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 25, 2015

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Space Skeleton posted:

If you buy the game now it is $15. If you buy Horizons while owning the base game now (or for a short time after Horizons launches) it is $15 cheaper than usual.

Full price Horizons is $60 but includes the base game, but you cannot play it til Horizons launches.

Ah I see thanks. No pre-ordering on Steam it looks like? Only on the main website?

Also I'm sure you guys are sick of the question by now, but is thread consensus still the same? i.e. It's a pretty space delivery simulator, being a space pirate is expensive and there's a high cash barrier to 'dick around'?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Those paints are a pretty nice deal even though the paint jobs are hardly super exciting. I'm still sitting on the fence on Horizons pretty hard but I might preorder after all just for the novelty of having at least one non-default colour scheme for each ship.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Xtanstic posted:

Ah I see thanks. No pre-ordering on Steam it looks like? Only on the main website?

Also I'm sure you guys are sick of the question by now, but is thread consensus still the same? i.e. It's a pretty space delivery simulator, being a space pirate is expensive and there's a high cash barrier to 'dick around'?

Being a space pirate is kind of rough, aside from smuggling missions. Being a space pirate killer pays very well, and winging up with a goon or two for some bounty hunting will get you enough cash to buy and outfit any of the smaller ships.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Being a pirate is a (slight) money drain but it's not super expensive to get into. You don't do it for profit, you do it for fun.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Wow, those synth paint jobs actually have more effort than just select ship -> fill bucket.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I still a vibrant paint pack for my Anaconda. Also blue Class 4 Beam Lasers. I just want to fly an Ion Cannon frigate :saddowns:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mercurius posted:

I still a vibrant paint pack for my Anaconda. Also blue Class 4 Beam Lasers. I just want to fly an Ion Cannon frigate :saddowns:

Hell yeah. Though if they come out with huge blue-colored beam lasers, then that would make an anaconda more of an ion frigate combined with an assault frigate, for frigate perfection :spergin:. I hope my Homeworld roleplaying fanfiction dreams come true :negative:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think you mean red.

(apparently crafting's coming with Horizons and this may involve laser colour changing)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rah! posted:

Hell yeah. Though if they come out with huge blue-colored beam lasers, then that would make an anaconda more of an ion frigate combined with an assault frigate, for frigate perfection :spergin:. I hope my Homeworld roleplaying fanfiction dreams come true :negative:
Yah. That said I kind of want to also see the sort of striped ship patterns Chris Foss draws (which they might be able to make work with those new synth designs):

Dabir posted:

I think you mean red.

(apparently crafting's coming with Horizons and this may involve laser colour changing)
They've said they're going to let you change your lasers to green with the crafting system but I want blue lasers like the Imperials have.

And yeah re: Homeworld I know you could get some ships with red/orange ion cannons but I was referring to the iconic Homeworld yellow/red paint ones with the blue beams (which I think are Taiidan rather than Hiigaran):

If they add the military paint packs for the Anaconda you'll be able to use the blue coloured paint job to make it look like the HW2 style ion frigates:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Those are some scrub tier ion frigates... :colbert:

Kadesh builds them right!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

tooterfish posted:

Those are some scrub tier ion frigates... :colbert:

Kadesh builds them right!
I don't see any neat colours or stripes on that :colbert:. Perhaps it is your multi-beam frigate that is scrub tier?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Seemless transitions... wow.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Looked like he was about to land but then he saw the warning and attempted no landing there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, this is just what I needed after getting punched in the face repeatedly by EVE Online today. Free skins and in my favourite color! After Horizons lands this will be the skin I'll put on every single ship I can.

Now I regret not playing Elite today. :v:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mercurius posted:

I don't see any neat colours or stripes on that :colbert:. Perhaps it is your multi-beam frigate that is scrub tier?
Stand in front of it and say that! The entire engine is seamless AFAIK (for solar systems at least), the instancing transitions are because of networking limitations. :science:

Kavros posted:

Looked like he was about to land but then he saw the warning and attempted no landing there.
:golfclap:

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 26, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Finally bought the expansion in order to get Rad Blackness and the discount woo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Space Skeleton posted:

This owns, ordering tomorrow. Sale's too drat good a deal to pass up.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I've been grinding my rear end for credits the past few weeks (R5 ALD) to prepare for the Corvette drop. And this black skin is probably the ultimate reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

no_recall posted:

I've been grinding my rear end for credits the past few weeks (R5 ALD) to prepare for the Corvette drop. And this black skin is probably the ultimate reward.
Yeah, I'd imagine like the Anaconda (and probably the Vulture as well) that the Corvette's contrasting edging on the plates around the panels will stay the colour it is now giving some really good contrast. Here's the default skin for reference and I'm talking about the light grey edges around the blue/grey panels:

The orange bits glow along with the blue lights so it'll provide some nice contrast there, as well.

• Locked thread