Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There's also that scene after Guin betrayed them where he and Loran meet and it ends with Guin saying "How I feel about you is..." and then getting interrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

There's also that scene after Guin betrayed them where he and Loran meet and it ends with Guin saying "How I feel about you is..." and then getting interrupted.

It runs through the entire show to the point where honestly, the only reason I didn't catch on to it until Guin's confession at the end is because I didn't expect mainstream anime from 2000 to even mention the existence of gay people, let alone have a gay man as a major character. That's why I think dismissing it as "Tomino weird" is pretty silly, because it's rather blatant that Guin was intended to be gay and attracted to Loran from the start, and he is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It runs through the entire show to the point where honestly, the only reason I didn't catch on to it until Guin's confession at the end is because I didn't expect mainstream anime from 2000 to even mention the existence of gay people, let alone have a gay man as a major character. That's why I think dismissing it as "Tomino weird" is pretty silly, because it's rather blatant that Guin was intended to be gay and attracted to Loran from the start, and he is.

I didn't pick up on it because I assumed Guin was just another victim of Tomino dialogue. It's far more interesting to me that he was actually gay, since things make a lot more sense now, but I did not put it together on first viewing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hmm maybe there are hints that I've missed then or dialogue that I interpreted incorrectly (The subs I had could have been bad too)- would be interesting for me to look at in a rewatch. I will say though that I do think a lot of it did just come off as "lol Tomino" to me.

Like even Guin forcing Loran to crossdress doesn't actually seem that unusual when it's coming from the guy that did those silly ZZ crossdressing episodes. I had just figured he did it to mess with him and be demeaning for the sake of it.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 21, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Raxivace posted:

Hmm maybe there are hints that I've missed then or dialogue that I interpreted incorrectly (The subs I had could have been bad too)- would be interesting for me to look at in a rewatch. I will say though that I do think a lot of it did just come off as "lol Tomino" to me.

Like even Guin forcing Loran to crossdress doesn't actually seem that unusual when it's coming from the guy that did those silly ZZ crossdressing episodes. I had just figured he did it to mess with him and be demeaning for the sake of it.

This guy and I see things the same way, I think. It becomes far too easy sometimes to handwave eccentric parts of Gundam shows as "lol Tomino." Sometimes you wind up missing stuff with that attitude though, I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Graze is a good mobile suit because it doesn't blow up in 2-3 hits unlike every other grunt unit in the past decade

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tae posted:

The Graze is a good mobile suit because it doesn't blow up in 2-3 hits unlike every other grunt unit in the past decade

By introducing a different grunt unit that does blow up when hit by a strong breeze (the mobile workers) it allows them to have the MS grunt seem intimidating and then actually useful. It kinda solves the problem of everyone having to end up in crazy unique prototype or whatever when the story doesn't really allow for it yet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I've just now found out about Gundam Thunderbolt and please tell me somewhere else in this thread someone acknowledged

quote:

Daisuke Hirakawa as Cornelius Caca

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

A thought just struck me. Isn't it a bit weird Amuro gets fin funnels in CCA? Bits and funnels are thematically very similar to cyber newtypes, taking the hope of humanity (newtypes), and turning them into weapons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

A thought just struck me. Isn't it a bit weird Amuro gets fin funnels in CCA? Bits and funnels are thematically very similar to cyber newtypes, taking the hope of humanity (newtypes), and turning them into weapons.

It works for Amuro because Amuro doesn't just use them as weapons but as tools to defend. Both literally (the I-Field Barrier) and eventually thematically when he uses the full power of the Nu Gundam to push Axis away from Earth. Amuro became a fully realized Newtype whose powers can be used both to empathize and to protect.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mind you, it is worth noting here that Londo Bell is the former AEUG folded back into the corrupt, self-interested Federation. Amuro and his comrades are indeed tools of a decaying, soulless regime until they rebel to stop Axis and become something superhuman. I think it's important that all of the Nu's weapons are stripped away before it pushes away Axis.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, it is worth noting here that Londo Bell is the former AEUG folded back into the corrupt, self-interested Federation. Amuro and his comrades are indeed tools of a decaying, soulless regime until they rebel to stop Axis and become something superhuman. I think it's important that all of the Nu's weapons are stripped away before it pushes away Axis.

That works on both levels of Amuro leaving the corrupt federation behind, as well as embracing Char's ideals of humanity throwing off the shackles of earth. Char might have been a nutjob, but he had a point, expressed extremely badly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Read up the rest of the translated Thunderbolt chapters, and it's more of the same - a bleak, stylish, atmospheric melodrama that should really benefit from being animated if they don't get cocky and try to do too much at once. And Volume Four was translated less than a week ago and ends on a giant cliffhanger. gently caress.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMqu-iHKaT0

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Someone make a gif of the Zaku tossing the car.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

it's a shame that this is going to be short because this looks pretty cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, I think I finally figured out why the FA Gundam in Thunderbolt weirds me out so much.

It's drawn a lot more like the classic RX-78-2 than the more modernized designs, especially the stuff like Mudrock which is also theoretically supposed to be an RX-78 variant. It looks like... well, a old-school Gundam which is quite odd to see amidst all the modern trappings.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the entirety of Thunderbolt going to be 18 minutes? Or are there going to be multiple 18 minute episodes?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the entirety of Thunderbolt going to be 18 minutes? Or are there going to be multiple 18 minute episodes?

4 18 minute episodes

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The guy drumming makes me want to watch this Gundam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So since we're chatting about Thunderbolt, I was thinking of writing up a big, cheesy, grandiose airport-novel-style promotional synopsis for people who haven't read it, since (a) it would be fun, and (b) it's exactly the kind of story that feels like it should get one - and I say that with all affection. Stop me right now if it's a bad idea and you don't want to see it clogging up the page.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

So since we're chatting about Thunderbolt, I was thinking of writing up a big, cheesy, grandiose airport-novel-style promotional synopsis for people who haven't read it, since (a) it would be fun, and (b) it's exactly the kind of story that feels like it should get one - and I say that with all affection. Stop me right now if it's a bad idea and you don't want to see it clogging up the page.

Do it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes, you should do it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

This is the thread to write about gundam. effortposts about gundam are both good and cool, and definitely welcome!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Righty-ho, here we go.

The Thunderbolt sector.

Once, it was Side Four, a peaceful, prosperous spaceborne nation on the edge of humanity's slow expanse into the solar system. The One Year War, the apocalyptic struggle between the Earth Federation and the rebel Principality of Zeon, changed all that. Now, it is a vast field of ghosts, debris, and savage electrical storms, where nothing lives except an elusive pirate radio station, broadcasting ancient music from the Anno Domini era to Federation and Zeon alike.

It is into this eerily beautiful hellscape that the Moore Brotherhood intrudes, former Side Four residents seeking to reclaim their homeland and secure the Federation's supply routes as it prepares for the final battle at A Baoa Qu. Waiting for them is the Living Dead Battalion, a ramshackle, under-supplied, and grimly determined mob of crippled Zeon veterans serving as expendable guinea pigs for the Principality's horrifying psycommu experiments.

Io Flemming is the black sheep of Moore's former ruling family, a hedonistic but supremely gifted adrenaline junkie addicted to mobile suit combat and classic jazz. The Brotherhood's ambitions mean nothing to him - he signed up to the Thunderbolt campaign to test himself in the solar system's ultimate proving ground. What he finds there, though, is utterly beyond his imagination.

Darryl Lorenz was once a Zeon infantryman, one of the thousands of teenage bodies it threw into the meat grinder to stave off defeat for another few weeks. Now, he's one of the Living Dead Battalion's greatest weapons, a superhuman sniper with literal nerves of steel. The Battalion is the only family he knows, and he wants nothing more than to keep it safe... but how high a price is he willing to pay when his very humanity is the currency, and will be even be given a choice in the matter?

As fleets clash in the shadow of the huge, dead colonies, these two men's fates will become inexorably entwined...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I would absolutely read that on a long roadtrip/flight, and now I'm even more hyped for the show since it seems the story will be fun, not just pretty. Thank you for the write-up, Darth Walrus!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Righty-ho, here we go.

an elusive pirate radio station, broadcasting ancient music from the Anno Domini era to Federation and Zeon alike.

*faintly, in the depth of space, a quiet tone can be heard*

Dareka woooooo

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

More seriously, that was a real fun read and a good post. I've kind of wanted to read thunderbolt, but still going on + the translators doing it volume by volume rather than keeping up with the magazine chapters makes me want to wait until it's done.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I've read Thunderbolt up until the first big climactic battle and it's pretty good. It has done a good job of making me feel for both sides of the conflict and I really like the mobile suit design.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

That's some real cool art

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If the Gerbera Tetra is a Gundam to monoeye trans mobile suit, does that mean the Dijeh is a monoeye to Gundam trans mobile suit?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

closeted republican posted:

If the Gerbera Tetra is a Gundam to monoeye trans mobile suit, does that mean the Dijeh is a monoeye to Gundam trans mobile suit?

Nah, Dijeh is just a Gelgoog next-gen.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

closeted republican posted:

:gas:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm about to finish Build Fighters (just got through ep 22) and I'm starting to think about the next Gundam to watch.

The action has been consistently cool, and I'm glad the tone never got dragged down into melodrama. I think the only time so far where things got super serious is when they were finding out what Aila's deal was, and that lasted all of an episode. Also happy that they don't really dwell on Reiji's mysterious origins/past stuff so far. Too many shows are happy to just tease it endlessly, and here it gets brought up like 3 times in 20 episodes.

I remember people talking about G. Reco. How does that do with keeping things lighthearted/ energetic?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

I'm about to finish Build Fighters (just got through ep 22) and I'm starting to think about the next Gundam to watch.

The action has been consistently cool, and I'm glad the tone never got dragged down into melodrama. I think the only time so far where things got super serious is when they were finding out what Aila's deal was, and that lasted all of an episode. Also happy that they don't really dwell on Reiji's mysterious origins/past stuff so far. Too many shows are happy to just tease it endlessly, and here it gets brought up like 3 times in 20 episodes.

I remember people talking about G. Reco. How does that do with keeping things lighthearted/ energetic?

It's both very light-hearted and energetic, but it expects you to pay close attention.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erg posted:

G-Reco is a very energetic and lighthearted show but it's also very very Tomino.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

It's both very light-hearted and energetic, but it expects you to pay close attention.

I think I can deal with that

ImpAtom posted:

G-Reco is a very energetic and lighthearted show but it's also very very Tomino.

I do not know what being very very Tomino means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Erg posted:

I do not know what being very very Tomino means