Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ytisomauq posted:

With the crazy melee mods out there now, the Lightsaber might be more than just a chainsaw replacement...
I don't know that I'd even give him a lightsaber. Originally Dark Forces was going to have one but it got cut. Most ganes before Jedi Knight didn't allow you to play as a Jedi, and being before the prequels not everything was set in stone concerning them. If I made a mod it would probably be something like what would have happened if Outlaws was the first DF sequel. If there's one thing DF does wrong it's that it feels too short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The reviews mention Sauerbraten, and that seems like a fairly apt comparison, going by what I played back when it wasn't on Steam. Both are visually pretty nice, but just feel wrong when you're playing it. A certain je ne sais quoi is missing, and lets down what should otherwise be a pretty awesome package.

Well, in this case, it sounds like microtransactions also let down the package, but I could potentially justify spending money on the thing if it felt good to play.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really want to love this game, but the gameplay doesn't feel good. Maybe I need to tweak a bunch of settings, but it all felt 'off', as if it was Generic Late 90s Shooter #27.

Yeah, something doesn't feel quite right to me too, hopefully they'll fix it in the long run. And as Shadow hog says, the microtransactions are a bit of a let down. I know they want to make money, but if this actually felt good to play, I'd probably quite happily drop a big wad of cash on it, and possibly even buy copies for my friends.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Call me a grognard, but I think I'll take the original blocky level design prettied up over an attempt to completely redo the original game.

I'll take the block level design in the original engine over what looks like the worst of both worlds.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
has anyone here played Bethesda's Terminator FPS games? they were pretty ambitious for the time.

the maps in the game are pretty big, but they did sacrifice how far your view distance will render for the sake of optimization. a fan-made patch utility from old-games.ru came out a while ago to address this.

http://www.old-games.ru/game/download/779.html

click on the little flag in the upper right to change the a good fraction of the website's text to English. scroll down until you see "Soft" with the following text next to it (ran through a translator and cleaned up a bit):

"Patch software with a GUI to increase the range of the draw distance, and to improve the graphics in the game "The Terminator: Future Shock." Patch authors: WERTA, Corak."

the software needs to be put in the main game directory, and it assumes that you already have it installed. don't worry if you can't understand a dang thing in the actual program itself: it can change between english and russian.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

QwertySanchez posted:

Hey, what are the modding tools for Wolfenstein actually like? I understand it's all pretty straight forward (maps just being a grid etc) but is there anything in windows or would I need to set up dosbox? Wolfenstein seems like a fun little engine to put together quick little maps and mods in..

The only DOS editing utility still commonly used is MapEdit 8.4/8.5, which I used until 2004, but only supreme grognards use it nowadays. The two map editors useful for ECWolf are WDC and HWE. For non-ECWolf projects, ChaosEdit is the only editor with a Doom Builder-like 3D preview. Its map export format is not used by ECWolf, and I don't recommend it for ECWolf projects because it has a very limited number of tile definitions and you will likely run out if you add lots of actors and textures (I think it's around 512 per plane, compared to 65535 for WDC).

All Wolfenstein map editors are clunky, ugly, and outdated. They're all basically Windows versions of MapEdit with some extra features like copy/paste, flood fill, find/replace, etc. Tiles are limited to 16 colors and 7x7 or 8x8 tiles because...just because. If you have hundreds of textures it can be a pain to create editor tiles for all of them that can be told apart, especially with the eye-searing EGA colors.

All of those editors have built-in resource editors for regular Wolf3D projects, but ECWolf uses ZDoom's archive formats, so I recommend SLADE 3 for resource editing and project management, since it's far and away the best Doom resource editor.

The ECWolf Wiki will help you get started with ECWolf modding. The documentation is not yet complete so if you can't figure out how to do something, PM me and I'll answer or, if I don't know, I'll ask Blzut3. If you have any experience with ZDoom it will come in handy.

MapEdit 8.5 is worth downloading for the tutorial written by Warren Buss, which covers the basics of making a Wolfenstein 3D level and is essential reading for a novice Wolfenstein modder. B.J. Rowan once wrote a more advanced mapping guide but I cannot find it anymore.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 26, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cat Mattress posted:

I'll take the block level design in the original engine over what looks like the worst of both worlds.
Yeah those screenshots don't fill me with confidence. It looks too much like those garish Quake mods that shoehorn in every graphics gimmick they could think of. Cranking up one aspect of the visuals (textures/surfaces) without doing anything with the level geometry is not a good look.

Hopefully the Citadel project will be completed because it looks a lot more appealing.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

newmans_owned posted:

has anyone here played Bethesda's Terminator FPS games? they were pretty ambitious for the time.

the maps in the game are pretty big, but they did sacrifice how far your view distance will render for the sake of optimization. a fan-made patch utility from old-games.ru came out a while ago to address this.

click on the little flag in the upper right to change the a good fraction of the website's text to English. scroll down until you see "Soft" with the following text next to it (ran through a translator and cleaned up a bit):

"Patch software with a GUI to increase the range of the draw distance, and to improve the graphics in the game "The Terminator: Future Shock." Patch authors: WERTA, Corak."

the software needs to be put in the main game directory, and it assumes that you already have it installed. don't worry if you can't understand a dang thing in the actual program itself: it can change between english and russian.

Your post made me try this game for the first time. Seems pretty great and graphically impressive for the time.
Here's the patch for the expansion, SkyNET, for those interested: http://www.old-games.ru/game/download/get.php?fileid=9677&modal=1

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

also, toxic background radiation is a thing in beth's terminator FPS'. it does make sense too, so you gotta contend with radiation poisoning AND pissed off t-800's

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Huh, I never knew those two Terminator games used the same engine as Daggerfall. I guess we know the next games to be added to XL Engine.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

david_a posted:

Huh, I never knew those two Terminator games used the same engine as Daggerfall. I guess we know the next games to be added to XL Engine.

i'd LOVE to see those on the XL engine, but sadly i haven't seen any progress for that so far.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

david_a posted:

There's apparently someone out there who started work on something called FutureShock32, which would appear to be an engine recreation for those Terminator games, but they at least claim there's some sort of copyright troubles involved keeping them from working on it.

Edit: ^^ Well the guy working on it just recently popped up to say it'll come out sometime next year, so maybe we'll see soon? I want to be optimistic, I really do.

Edit 2: The XLEngine guy, that is. No idea if the FutureShock32 guy/s have figured things out or not.

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 26, 2015

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

catlord posted:

There's apparently someone out there who started work on something called FutureShock32, which would appear to be an engine recreation for those Terminator games, but they at least claim there's some sort of copyright troubles involved keeping them from working on it.

Edit: ^^ Well the guy working on it just recently popped up to say it'll come out sometime next year, so maybe we'll see soon? I want to be optimistic, I really do.

searching for 'FutureShock32' brought me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd7YLZF-s5Y

i stand corrected. this looks great.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Has anyone played Operation Serpent? I'm always interested in feedback for it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Invites to the Doom multiplayer alpha are starting to trickle in today.

Keep checkin' them emails.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Woolie Wool posted:

Has anyone played Operation Serpent? I'm always interested in feedback for it.

I just finished the first level. I had to drop the difficulty down from the middle one. It's got a lot of nice little touches. I don't remember having an issue with this in vanilla Wolf, but I would occasionally open a door and start shooting an enemy, but the door hadn't finished opening so I was just shooting the door, but the enemy could hit me. I don't know why, like I said, I never noticed it in vanilla.

I liked/hated that enemies would blend in with the trees. Not terribly fond of the dogs being tougher but I can live with it. I'm iffy on the general size of the maps, I spent a lot of time scrolling through the huge automap and walking around trying to find where a key was supposed to go, especially when it needed to go to a building on the literal other side of the map. The music is ok, but it got a little grating as I wandered the map for the right door. I like that the main character is a Hispanic woman.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
When's the doom beta access thing happen for people who pre-ordered WolfTNO?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Shadow Hog posted:

The reviews mention Sauerbraten, and that seems like a fairly apt comparison, going by what I played back when it wasn't on Steam. Both are visually pretty nice, but just feel wrong when you're playing it. A certain je ne sais quoi is missing, and lets down what should otherwise be a pretty awesome package.

Well, in this case, it sounds like microtransactions also let down the package, but I could potentially justify spending money on the thing if it felt good to play.

atleast Sauerbraten was able to make interesting geometry happen. when it still had a community, speedmapping servers were a rather interesting thing that happened with a fair amount of regularity.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I'm on the 4th level of Operation Serpent, and really enjoying it. Liking the higher difficulty (although the first level is imo short on spare ammo) and the hit-and-hide strategy it enforces. Also all the sprites look really good and consistent, and hooray for the shotgun!
And now for some issues... The problem catlord mentioned is annoying, because when you open the door to room full of dudes and start shooting them, bullets are blocked by the still opening door. It also seems like an engine limitation, but the automap doesn't show columns/blockades/cars and similar solid decorations, so sometimes it may lead to a dead end. Another thing which may be an engine issue, whenever enemies get agitated for the first time on the map, they all seem to start barking their soundbites at once, no matter how far they are on the map. It really sounds like ms. Cortez is hearing voices in her head :psyduck:

Other than that, it's definitely one of this year's highlights in terms of old FPS modding scene. I sent it to some buddies of mine (also Wolf3D/Doom fans), and got positive comments about it, so great job, Woolie Wool!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm not convinced. Looks to me like it's the exact same blockiness of geometry, with detailing added by having glowy poo poo on the doors and steam particle showers. It's kind of uninspired.

I'm fine with the geometry to an extent, because System Shock was always one of those games that had somewhat realistic floorplans, with sections for offices and living quarters and all that. So all the blockiness sort of made sense, because, like, it's a hallway with rooms, hallways tend to have straight, blocky walls and lots of right angles.

I think it'll look good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

This is the first time I like a vocaloid fanart.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

david_a posted:

Yeah those screenshots don't fill me with confidence. It looks too much like those garish Quake mods that shoehorn in every graphics gimmick they could think of. Cranking up one aspect of the visuals (textures/surfaces) without doing anything with the level geometry is not a good look.

Hopefully the Citadel project will be completed because it looks a lot more appealing.

I think it's not necessarily a bad design. The original sprites really popped, and it looks like they're trying to recreate items and enemies in 3D that still lets them pop against the background. Im interested in the fog and steam effects we see in the med bay, which could be really cool to obscure enemies approaching down longer hallways and such.

Really the graphics aren't the most important feature of the remake to me, it's the combat and sound design. System Shock's gunplay is very clunky with the requirement to click three times in various spots of the UI to reload and enemies that would shred you in second but couldn't navigate corners, leading to kiting them around bends and plinking away at them while they got stuck on geometry (or tossing a grenade once I learned how to use the 45 or so in my inventory without dropping it at my feet).

I haven't really played many Unity games, how robust is the sound system? SS2's sound design was its strongest point, and I'd love to see something similar in the remake. System Shock's sound engine was primitive but the clips themselves were great. The screams the mutants made when they died horrified me as a kid (invisible mutants :gonk:).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wild T posted:

I think it's not necessarily a bad design. The original sprites really popped, and it looks like they're trying to recreate items and enemies in 3D that still lets them pop against the background. Im interested in the fog and steam effects we see in the med bay, which could be really cool to obscure enemies approaching down longer hallways and such.

:confused:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

newmans_owned posted:

SkyNet plays extremely well today. It has great mouse controls and works with WASD just fine. It was definitely ahead of its time, it doesn't feel at all like a game that came out in 1996.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Too bad that licensing issues means that it's probably not going to get on GOG or Steam any time soon.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Night Dive Studios could modify those games to retroactively tie-in them with Transmorphers :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

laserghost posted:

Another thing which may be an engine issue, whenever enemies get agitated for the first time on the map, they all seem to start barking their soundbites at once, no matter how far they are on the map. It really sounds like ms. Cortez is hearing voices in her head :psyduck:

Yeah, that's an engine limitation, stereo sound doesn't really work all that well and sdl_mixer is a piece of poo poo. :sigh:

It's not contradictory to make enemies quite visible in other times and difficult to see at others. The idea is that they'll only be difficult to see at specific points where they're supposed to be. This is the early FPS thread, surely we've all played Doom and should know how this works?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 26, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Just bought Dark Forces for ~2 bux on steam in case this XL engine stuff goes anywhere soon.

Might as well try Operation Serpent in the meanwhile i suppose... Is it possible to play that with a controller?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Humans Among Us posted:

Just bought Dark Forces for ~2 bux on steam in case this XL engine stuff goes anywhere soon.

Might as well try Operation Serpent in the meanwhile i suppose... Is it possible to play that with a controller?

Yes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh my, I'll definitely check this out. Is it just 360 compatible, or would a PS3 work, too?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Well i use a special driver for my DS4 to have it pretend its an xbox-controller, but i dont know how that works on a mac

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Oh my, I'll definitely check this out. Is it just 360 compatible, or would a PS3 work, too?

If Windows recognizes it as a game controller it will probably work.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Humans Among Us posted:

I did that too about five years ago! :dance:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The 3D Realms Anthology is :10bux: right now. Most of you probably already own it, but it comes with Blake Stone, ROTT Original Recipe, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior 1997, and maybe a couple other FPS games I'm forgetting. Of course it also includes a buttload of retro non-FPS Apogee games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Square's also giving away Hitman 2, which is close enough to an FPS for this thread I guess.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Square's also giving away Hitman 2, which is close enough to an FPS for this thread I guess.

Just like... totally for free?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Colon Semicolon posted:

atleast Sauerbraten was able to make interesting geometry happen. when it still had a community, speedmapping servers were a rather interesting thing that happened with a fair amount of regularity.

hey but [you can run it natively in the browser](https://developer.mozilla.org/demos/detail/bananabread) and that's pretty cool.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Just like... totally for free?

Go to the Square webstore and buy Hitman 2 (steam) with coupon FreeSilentAssassin and it's a free steam key.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Go to the Square webstore and buy Hitman 2 (steam) with coupon FreeSilentAssassin and it's a free steam key.

This apparently doesn't work in Canada, fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

newmans_owned posted:

I've talked about those games in this thread before but, yeah, they really were cool FPS's (especially for their time). I remember the vehicle sections being pretty awkward to control but awesome in concept, and the ability to transition between interior and exterior environments on small sandbox-ish maps made the levels feel more "real". I spent a ton of time exploring the submarine map and the urban maps in particular.