Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Oh hell yeah, sick

i dont want raichu to sit on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

mabels big day posted:

All the break cards are unplayable trash

The Raichu BREAK is good simply because of the HP boost. The regular attacks of the latest Raichu card are awesome. And grand bolt is a nice YOLO move.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Mizuti posted:

Thoughts on Super Mystery Dungeon:

Having ranged or full-screen attacks is a must now. Almost all species get them, and without them, a teammate is dead weight. Anyone with easy access to several attacks that can hit from 4 tiles away/the whole room is instantly elevated up to being worthwhile.

Unevolved starters have garbage level up moves. Trade in your gold bars for decent TMs, it's worth it. I was stingy, and my Fennekin's moveset stayed identical from the start to the game to the credit roll.

Emeras are a much better substitute for the IQ system in Explorers and a more inconsistent, but more exciting replacement for the team passive abilities in Gates. Great refinement of those systems.

As I suspected, Gates seems to have been made to lay down the foundation for this game. It must have been a tremendous amount of effort, drawing all the portraits and modeling all 720 Pokémon and their variants. Gates had a tiny selection, and it didn't feel finished.

Bring back the IQ system, remove the connection orb garbage... actually just remake EotS with more dungeons and updated to the latest generation.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

going on a mission and getting 8 new teammates to play around with feels a lot better than doing the same and getting one of the billion gummis I need to get iq skills

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

in my HO

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yeah i like the emeras a lot better than the IQ stuff because you never really got to take advantage of it because, in my experience, gummis were too rare and it was too hard to raise your IQ to a good level. The connection orb is still a downgrade

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i never plated gates, what did it have instead of the connection orb?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ruggington posted:

going on a mission and getting 8 new teammates to play around with feels a lot better than doing the same and getting one of the billion gummis I need to get iq skills

That sounds like casual talk to me
No shitmons allowed in my teams

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I wouldn't mind the connection orb stuff for like Legendaries, because going through a long dungeon and then losing the ability to recruit them because of RNG or because someone else stole your kill sucks, but for everything else? Yeah it's a downgrade.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

qnqnx posted:

That sounds like casual talk to me
No shitmons allowed in my teams

dang

you got me

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is postgame plot line over after you get your partner back? That's better than Gates but not really by much.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Yeah i like the emeras a lot better than the IQ stuff because you never really got to take advantage of it because, in my experience, gummis were too rare and it was too hard to raise your IQ to a good level. The connection orb is still a downgrade

I never had a single problem with the gummies, I had whole pages of them in storage from buying them daily and having relatively few pokemons to use them on.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Inflammatory posted:

i never plated gates, what did it have instead of the connection orb?

The same as the previous Mystery Dungeons, defeating a Pokemon standing next to you has a chance for the Pokemon to ask to join your team. In addition, there were things called Gifts that you could give to a Pokemon to guarantee recruitment, there were gifts for individual species as well as type gifts (like Water Gift).

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I keep reading "emeras" as "enemas" and it's loving me up

Also I'm kind of interested in PSMD but I'm garbage at rougelikes and a lot of people have been talking about its difficulty so I'm kind of unsure

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

majormonotone posted:

Also I'm kind of interested in PSMD but I'm garbage at rougelikes and a lot of people have been talking about its difficulty so I'm kind of unsure
It's harder than Gates to Infinity (which is a good thing), but it's not at the horrible end of the Roguelike difficulty spectrum. You can get plenty of things like revive seeds, oran berries, orbs, etc that can help you deal with those lovely moments. And if you do get KOed, you can opt to save yourself (or get someone to save you) through a side mission thing. Outside of that, saving before each mission never hurts.
If it's caught your interest, I'd definitely suggest checking it out. It's a fun game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

qnqnx posted:

I never had a single problem with the gummies, I had whole pages of them in storage from buying them daily and having relatively few pokemons to use them on.

I would eat them right away if they were the type of myself or my partner's, and i'd never spend any money ever

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I would eat them right away if they were the type of myself or my partner's, and i'd never spend any money ever

yeah I'd eat gummis pretty much immediately and buy any that applied to me or my partner

I got to the end of blue, time, and sky like 3 iq ranks deep everytime

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mabels big day posted:

I like emeras but I also liked IQ. Permanent passives are really nice and stuff like PP Saver were reliable staples for the brutal postgame.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just got to the credit roll of Super Mystery Dungeon yesterday. The last Mystery Dungeon game I played through completely was Rescue Team so I don't really have any complaints mechanics-wise outside of not being able to rename Pokemon in the PokeLinkedIn thing. In terms of difficulty I didn't find the game that hard as a charmander with a snivy partner. Only died once because I forgot to bring reviver seeds and oran berries to a water/ground dungeon. So long as you make liberal use of the :fuckoff: wand whenever you're at a disadvantage you can pretty easily beat most of the story dungeons. Sometimes you get screwed by a full room attack (Magnitude Barbaroach! :argh:)

Ending spoilers: I didn't really understand what was going on with the ending. My partner is like "yeah pokemon/people are lovely sometimes" and then the manifestation of all evil and hatred just gives up forever? And then my partner fucks off because they made a promise or something. I don't really get it.
Also I cheesed the gently caress out of the last couple of dungeons and the final boss fight by buying a ton of Reviver seeds from Ron Paulsophagus.
Can you evolve your main character pokemon? It won't let me at the tree of life and I'd like to have the better moveset evolution allows.

dromer fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 25, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Has anybody experimented with the candy junk that Cofagrigus can give you? Is it better than the vitamins? Can you savescum to get the multiple stat boosts like it advertises? I'm trying to visualize how I'm going to make my walking tank.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

loving christ... the cafe in eots was there for a reason

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

qnqnx posted:

I skipped Sky because I already had Time, and while that was a mistake because it's 1) good and 2) almost like $150 now, Sky was also the only one to feature the cafe. I guess that's par for the course for the price of a cult classic spinoff.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is the newest Mystery Dungeon Game Amazing, or Hot Garbage?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's good.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's pretty fun, but I think I enjoyed Darkness/Time/Sky more. If you like PMD games, it's worth the purchase.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

dromer posted:

Just got to the credit roll of Super Mystery Dungeon yesterday. The last Mystery Dungeon game I played through completely was Rescue Team so I don't really have any complaints mechanics-wise outside of not being able to rename Pokemon in the PokeLinkedIn thing. In terms of difficulty I didn't find the game that hard as a charmander with a snivy partner. Only died once because I forgot to bring reviver seeds and oran berries to a water/ground dungeon. So long as you make liberal use of the :fuckoff: wand whenever you're at a disadvantage you can pretty easily beat most of the story dungeons. Sometimes you get screwed by a full room attack (Magnitude Barbaroach! :argh:)

Ending spoilers: I didn't really understand what was going on with the ending. My partner is like "yeah pokemon/people are lovely sometimes" and then the manifestation of all evil and hatred just gives up forever? And then my partner fucks off because they made a promise or something. I don't really get it.
Also I cheesed the gently caress out of the last couple of dungeons and the final boss fight by buying a ton of Reviver seeds from Ron Paulsophagus.
Can you evolve your main character pokemon? It won't let me at the tree of life and I'd like to have the better moveset evolution allows.

Yes. Once you finish the post-game story (it's short), you'll be able to evolve everyone. You can evolve non-MC Pokemon as soon as the credits roll.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

majormonotone posted:

If twelve year old me could beat the first two PMD's, you'll probably be fine. Please have fun exploring mysterious dungeons with your Pokemon friends.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

qnqnx posted:

I played Time.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!
I made a Reddit post to this effect earlier today on how the plot structures of all the Mystery Dungeon games are de facto interchangable:

quote:

You are a human being who is turned into a Pokémon for the ultimate purpose of saving the world. Stricken with amnesia, you eventually befriend a partner who will be your best friend for the rest of the game. Your partner has big aspirations, so you, being a kindhearted person, promise to help him accomplish his dreams. Eventually, a group of adventuring Pokémon take you under their wing as their newest recruits. Something fishy happens, and your group goes out to fix the problem. However, not everything is as it seems, as some other secondary character who you knew actually turns out to be manipulating you and working for the bad guy. At your group's lowest point, you are forced through three to five dungeons in a row. You escape and prepare for a final confrontation, which is inevitably a few minor dungeons capped with a group battle against the turned minor character from before, followed by climbing something tall to fight the major antagonist. Once the world is saved, someone disappears in a beam of light until they are returned in the post-game.

But other then that the new one was pretty good. I just wish everything was more...subtle. A lot of the twists are barely foreshadowed and spelled out explicitly once they happen without much grace. This game made the gameplay much better, but the story had horrendous pacing. It's difficult to describe pacing - I can give concrete good examples, like the hallway walk at the end of Undertale or the entirety of Chrono Trigger, and I can give concrete bad examples, like the main plot of this game or Burning Crusade's endgame. But I can't explain why it's bad other than it just feels off.

majormonotone posted:

I too have this problem and I am not even dyslexic.
Why didn't they just use "Gems?" Even the Japanese version had something more reasonable ("Lapis")

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 26, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
One of the biggest issues with the story in PSMD is that you spend half the game in a tutorial. It's basically the school stuff for like 10 chapters, and then the end of the world thing suddenly pops up and things escalate quickly. I still think the Explorers games still had the story out of all of them. I think things were handled better there, what with the pacing being one of them.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

Dr. Fetus posted:

One of the biggest issues with the story in PSMD is that you spend half the game in a tutorial. It's basically the school stuff for like 10 chapters, and then the end of the world thing suddenly pops up and things escalate quickly. I still think the Explorers games still had the story out of all of them. I think things were handled better there, what with the pacing being one of them.

They also burned their own bridge when they forced you out of Serene, because they spent ten chapters developing (relatively good!) characters that were then abruptly dropped and then replaced with the less well developed Exploration Society guys. And they hype up these 'mons too with the introductions, including portraits of the characters as they introduce themselves, only for them to not really do anything that gets me attached to them.

I don't know much about writing stories - I'm a gameplay guy - but if I'd been handed this plot at some point in development I would have reworked it so that the player/partner get sent on individual missions with each of them, discovering information about the Pokémon being turned to stone, and culminating in the Volcano Isle when evidence points to Entei. That way we could do more stuff with all the characters, like, for example, go on an underwater expedition with Buizel as a partner, which never happened, or have Swirlix do something other than eat.

Granted the other PMD games didn't do that with their characters (name one thing Corphish did beside say 'hey hey'), but it would have been nice. Also I feel they missed the ability to visit certain locales - I was really expecting to see Treasure Town on my map, but that's wishful thinking..

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 26, 2015

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
please do not play mystery dungeon games for the plot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Inflammatory posted:

please do not play mystery dungeon games for the plot.

that's right, you play them for the pokemon waifus

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Having never played a PMD game, how much personality do people beyond you and your partner have. If I had a favourite Pokémon, how likely is it that it says more than a Gen 1 NPC?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The way the plot just speeds up after you get to lively town was striking enough that I just kind of figured they had to scale back the story or something. You've filled up most of the boss icons on your save file by the time you joined the expedition society and the towns on the other continents amount to zilch outside of another kecleon shop to shake down for oren berries.

I mean I forgive it because Pokémon has instant emotional investment for me but still...

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Jade Mage posted:

Having never played a PMD game, how much personality do people beyond you and your partner have. If I had a favourite Pokémon, how likely is it that it says more than a Gen 1 NPC?

there are some other sort-of important pokemon that have personalities, but the vast majority just get canned lines.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Inflammatory posted:

there are some other sort-of important pokemon that have personalities, but the vast majority just get canned lines.

Alas, rhyhorn, it was never meant to be.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jade Mage posted:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Paras is a baller pokemon in PMD. Spore is super good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

That's actually a little scary.

• Locked thread