Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

divabot posted:

If there were a Wikipedia article with an actually well-written ==Plot summary== (i.e. spoils everything but doesn't get lost in the weeds of detail) of HPMOR, what would that summary say?

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Tom Riddle? This is Tom Riddle speaking. I am the wizard who loves life. I am the wizard who does not sacrifice his love or his values.

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

The Iron Rose posted:

For something fairly similar in structure to the Arithmancer, Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity takes place in wizarding America with a completely new cast. Truly incredible worldbuilding, good characterization, and best of all 4/7 books are already completed. I really like this one as well, but it's pretty different from the standard fare.

I'm only on chapter 6, but this is really, really solid so far. Like in some alternate universe, this could have been the original work and Harry Potter the fanfic, maybe. Of course it could poo poo the bed later on.

I guess for a recommendation of my own, this one's kind of, sort of, not really-at-all similar to Arithmancy in the vein of 'getting the most from your magic' in a completely non-serious, absurd way- Harry the Hufflepuff

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mazerunner posted:

I'm only on chapter 6, but this is really, really solid so far. Like in some alternate universe, this could have been the original work and Harry Potter the fanfic, maybe. Of course it could poo poo the bed later on.

I just finished it and yeah, it's really good. It's a bit too long--there's not nearly enough plot to fill up 165,000 (!) words--but if you cut it down you'd get rid of a lot of the world-building which is by far the best bit.

It also neatly avoids the fan-fiction trap of either smugly pointing out inconsistencies in the original book (like HPMOR does, just to keep things mildly on topic) or just as smugly coming up with explanations of how it's not really inconsistent at all.

And the Ozarkers are great characters.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

I guess for a recommendation of my own, this one's kind of, sort of, not really-at-all similar to Arithmancy in the vein of 'getting the most from your magic' in a completely non-serious, absurd way- Harry the Hufflepuff

This is absolutely hilarious and everyone should read it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Prince of the Dark Kingdom is pretty solid, albeit with the caveat that English is a second language for the author. It's also long as heck, but covers all seven books and breaks up rather nicely.

Oh also I finished Renegade Cause and wow did that have a lot of awful rapey poo poo in it. I mean, it wasn't bad otherwise but you can't really just ignore that.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Okay, I really have to ask - and, yeah, sorry, it feels like we're drifting off-topic - but is that site really supposed to have all the text be in incredibly short paragraphs that, to make matters worse, are all centered on the screen? How is any of this readable? Is there a fix for that? I don't know if wading through that eyesore is worth the payoff no matter how much y'all seem to like them. I mean this isn't remotely readable text, right?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Huh. This is what I get:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Okay, I really have to ask - and, yeah, sorry, it feels like we're drifting off-topic - but is that site really supposed to have all the text be in incredibly short paragraphs that, to make matters worse, are all centered on the screen? How is any of this readable? Is there a fix for that? I don't know if wading through that eyesore is worth the payoff no matter how much y'all seem to like them. I mean this isn't remotely readable text, right?

I think you need to enable javascript? Maybe?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 17 – Locating the Hypothesis
Part Thirteen

quote:

Harry trailed off. All conversation stopped.
The Remembrall was glowing bright red in his hand, blazing like a miniature sun that cast shadows on the ground in broad daylight.

Ominous.

quote:

Thursday.

If you wanted to be specific, 5:09pm on Thursday afternoon, in Professor McGonagall's office, after flying classes. (With an extra hour for Harry slipped in between.)

Professor McGonagall sitting on her stool. Harry in the hot seat in front of her desk.

"Professor," Harry said tightly, "Slytherin was pointing their wands at Hufflepuff, Gryffindor was pointing their wands at Slytherin, some idiot called wands out in Ravenclaw, and I had maybe five seconds to keep the whole thing from blowing sky-high! It was all I could think of!"

Professor McGonagall's face was pinched and angry. "You are not to use the Time-Turner in that fashion, Mr. Potter! Is the concept of secrecy not something that you understand?"

It’d be an interesting development if McGonagall were to confiscate the Time-Turner and Harry has to learn to re-adapt back to not having the Time-Turner around as a convenient Artifact Ex Machina to solve his problems.

quote:

"They don't know how I did it! They just think I can do really weird things by snapping my fingers! I've done other weird stuff that can't be done with Time-Turners even, and I'll do more stuff like that, and this case won't even stand out! I had to do it, Professor!"

No he didn’t “have” to do it. In the first place, he wasn’t a teacher or even a prefect, or otherwise an authority figure with a duty to impose order upon and maintain peace between the students, so he didn’t “have” to intervene to begin with.

quote:

"You did not have to do it!" snapped Professor McGonagall. "All you needed to do was get this anonymous Slytherin back on the ground and the wands put away! You could have challenged him to a game of Exploding Snap but no, you had to use the Time-Turner in a flagrant and unnecessary manner!"

And this too. Wasn’t he already warned “DO NOT MESS WITH TIME” during his experiment at the beginning of this chapter?

quote:

"It was all I could think of! I don't even know what Exploding Snap is, they wouldn't have accepted a game of chess and if I'd picked arm-wresting I would have lost!"

"Then you should have picked wrestling! "

Harry blinked. "But then I'd have lost -"
Harry stopped.
Professor McGonagall was looking very angry.

"I'm sorry, Professor McGonagall," Harry said in a small voice. "I honestly didn't think of that, and you're right, I should have, it would have been brilliant if I had, but I just didn't think of that at all..."

Harry's voice trailed off. It was suddenly apparent to him that he'd had a lot of other options. He could have asked Draco to suggest something, he could have asked the crowd... his use of the Time-Turner had been flagrant and unnecessary. There had been a giant space of possibilities, why had he picked that one?

Because he'd seen a way to win. Win possession of an unimportant trinket that the teachers would've taken back from Mr. Goyle anyway.

Intent to win. That was what had gotten him.

"I'm sorry," Harry said again. "For my pride and my stupidity."

Character development! And pretty well written character development too, in my opinion. If this continues, this story might yet prove to be reasonably decent.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 19, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

McGonagall being a consistent voice of reason is one of the better parts of this thing.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

McGonagall being a consistent voice of reason is one of the better parts of this thing.

Yeah Harry being a little know-it-all poo poo and then the Remembrall telling him 'you've forgotten something' was a genuinely good bit.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Shortest Path posted:

Prince of the Dark Kingdom is pretty solid, albeit with the caveat that English is a second language for the author. It's also long as heck, but covers all seven books and breaks up rather nicely.

Oh also I finished Renegade Cause and wow did that have a lot of awful rapey poo poo in it. I mean, it wasn't bad otherwise but you can't really just ignore that.

It's been awhile since I read it, I only remember the two references...?

Once when Tonks burns that Death Eater alive during the Azkaban assault and once when Voldemort possesses Harry's then unused body

My bad though, should've mentioned it. I will say it never felt gratuitous though.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 19, 2015

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
How do i put harry potter fanfiction on my kindle?

VVVV Thanks!

Killstick fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 20, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
There are various services to turn fanfics into ebooks. [url=https://ficsave.com]Here's one just from googling[/spoiler], not the one I used last time I wanted to do that, since that only worked for fanfiction.net, but I'm sure it works fine.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Killstick posted:

How do i put harry potter fanfiction on my kindle?

Use Fanfiction Downloader - lets you copy paste a FFN link into the program and it will output the document in the format of your choice. You have a kindle so that would be .MOBI, which you can then attach to an email, then send it your kindle email (which you should see on your amazon account, something like Killstick@kindle.com). Next time your kindle connects to the internet it should show up.

I actually spend far too much time reading harry potter fanfiction and I'd kinda love to discuss it a bit more so I kinda like the direction this thread is going. There's a lot of decent literature out there - it's no Night Watch but there's a lot that's very good.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Fourteen

quote:

Professor McGonagall wiped a hand across her forehead. Some of her anger seemed to dissipate. But her voice still came out very hard. "One more display like that, Mr. Potter, and you will be returning that Time-Turner. Do I make myself very clear?"

"Yes," Harry said. "I understand and I'm sorry."

Chekov’s Ultimatum right there. This all but guarantees that Eliezarry will be making “One more display like that” and be forced to return the Time-Turner.

quote:

"Then, Mr. Potter, you will be allowed to retain the Time-Turner for now. And considering the size of the debacle you did, in fact, avert, I will not deduct any points from Ravenclaw."

Plus you couldn't explain why you'd deducted the points. But Harry wasn't dumb enough to say that out loud.

"More importantly, why did the Remembrall go off like that?" Harry said. "Does it mean I've been Obliviated?"

"That puzzles me as well," Professor McGonagall said slowly. "If it were that simple, I would think that the courts would use Remembralls, and they do not. I shall look into it, Mr. Potter." She sighed. "You can go now."

Harry started to get up from his chair, then halted. "Um, sorry, I did have something else I wanted to tell you -"

You could hardly see the flinch. "What is it, Mr. Potter?"

"It's about Professor Quirrell -"

"I'm sure, Mr. Potter, that it is nothing of importance." Professor McGonagall spoke the words in a great rush. "Surely you heard the Headmaster tell the students that you were not to bother us with any unimportant complaints about the Defence Professor?"

Harry was rather confused. "But this could be important, yesterday I got this sudden sense of doom when -"

"Mr. Potter! I have a sense of doom as well! And my sense of doom is suggesting that you must not finish that sentence! "

So in this particular incarnation of Hogwarts / Potterverse, the staff are actually aware of the jinx that Voldemort cast against the position of “Professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts”, but do their best to maintain omerta about the jinx. Why don’t they try to break the jinx? Or alternatively, if the jinx is unbreakable, why not discontinue the class alternatively and find other means of teaching their students how to defend themselves against the Dark Arts?

quote:

Harry's mouth gaped open. Professor McGonagall had succeeded; Harry was speechless.

"Mr. Potter," said Professor McGonagall, "if you have discovered anything that seems interesting about Professor Quirrell, please feel free not to share it with me or anyone else. Now I think you've taken up enough of my valuable time -"

"This isn't like you! " Harry burst out. "I'm sorry but that just seems unbelievably irresponsible! From what I've heard there's some kind of jinx on the Defence position, and if you already know something's going to go wrong, I'd think you'd all be on your toes -"

Yeah, I actually have to agree with Eliezarry here. It is highly irresponsible of the staff to be aware of the jinx and do nothing about it and conceal this jinx from the students.

quote:

"Go wrong, Mr. Potter? I certainly hope not." Professor McGonagall's face was expressionless. "After Professor Blake was caught in a closet with no fewer than three fifth-year Slytherins last February, and a year before that, Professor Summers failed so completely as an educator that her students thought a boggart was a kind of furniture, it would be catastrophic if some problem with the extraordinarily competent Professor Quirrell came to my attention now, and I daresay most of our students would fail their Defence O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s."

"I see," Harry said slowly, taking it all in. "So in other words, whatever's wrong with Professor Quirrell, you desperately don't want to know about it until the end of the school year. And since it's currently September, he could assassinate the Prime Minister on live television and get away with it so far as you're concerned."

Professor McGonagall gazed at him unblinkingly. "I am certain that I could never be heard endorsing such a statement, Mr. Potter. At Hogwarts we strive to be proactive with respect to anything that threatens the educational attainment of our students."

Such as first-year Ravenclaws who can't keep their mouths shut. "I believe I understand you completely, Professor McGonagall."

"Oh, I doubt that, Mr. Potter. I doubt that very much." Professor McGonagall leaned forward, her face tightening again. "Since you and I have already discussed matters far more sensitive than these, I shall speak frankly. You, and you alone, have reported this mysterious sense of doom. You, and you alone, are a chaos magnet the likes of which I have never seen. After our little shopping trip to Diagon Alley, and then the Sorting Hat, and then today's little episode, I can well foresee that I am fated to sit in the Headmaster's office and hear some hilarious tale about Professor Quirrell in which you and you alone play a starring role, after which there will be no choice but to fire him. I am already resigned to it, Mr. Potter. And if this sad event takes place any earlier than the Ides of May, I will string you up by the gates of Hogwarts with your own intestines and pour fire beetles into your nose. Now do you understand me completely?"
Harry nodded, his eyes very wide. Then, after a second, "What do I get if I can make it happen on the last day of the school year?"

"Get out of my office! "

This concern for appearances over the actual safety of her students is very inconsistent with the characterization of McGonagall, both within the canon series and within HP:MOR up to this point. Is Eliezer trying to introduce a new theme of how bureaucracy is corrupt or uncaring? If so, why do it through McGonagall who already has an established characterization, when there are so many other Hogwarts teachers who are still relatively blank slates within this story?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You're analysing this waaaay too deeply, this is just a bit of good old-fashioned poking fun at the concept of there being a jinx on the DADA teacher for decades but nobody's tried to do anything about it, and then following the logic of that situation a little further than the author intended. It's the sort of thing that's easily forgiven if you think you're reading a silly light-hearted comedy knockabout.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

On one hand, the characterization shifts quite dramatically there, especially the comment about fire beetles. You'd think McGonagall would care more about her students.

On the other hand, she's currently engaged in conversation with Harold James Potter-Evans-Verres, a child who at the tender age of eleven has proven to be possibly the worst headache to ever arrive at Hogwarts even though the school year has barely started, who she has just exhausted herself berating over flagrant misuse of school property. I can't blame her for just wanting him to shut up and get the hell out of her office already.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, her reaction might have been different if it were literally any other student

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

You're analysing this waaaay too deeply, this is just a bit of good old-fashioned poking fun at the concept of there being a jinx on the DADA teacher for decades but nobody's tried to do anything about it, and then following the logic of that situation a little further than the author intended. It's the sort of thing that's easily forgiven if you think you're reading a silly light-hearted comedy knockabout.

I dunno about that. I did read it the same way JWKS did, this was Yud trying to introduce the idea of a corrupt bureaucracy in a really hamfisted way.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
The thematic whiplash seems really inappropriate here. Is McGonagall concerned about student safety or is she a corrupt bureaucrat who doesn't care? You can't have it both ways in the same conversation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

i81icu812 posted:

The thematic whiplash seems really inappropriate here. Is McGonagall concerned about student safety or is she a corrupt bureaucrat who doesn't care? You can't have it both ways in the same conversation.
If I'm reading this right, she wants them to have a DATDA teacher and is concerned that Harry loving Potter is going to gently caress it up somehow because his entire life is full of loving things up in the smuggest of possible ways, and he would then have to be replaced or otherwise dealt with. It's possible that Quirrel is able to get away with a lot (you know, like probably being Voldemort) because he's willing to take on this poo poo show of a job, and they don't want to lose him if they possibly can.

Harry also probably was doing the equivalent of abusing prescription medication. He was issued the time-turner because of his strange sleep disorder, right? The one that kept moving him two hours forwards every night, sleep-wise? And which, I suppose, is not amenable to any other treatment, such as (say) magic sleep potion pills which could reliably knock him out for eight hours at a fixed time? And here he is using it to gently caress around.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It doesn't help that Harry doesn't really have a plausible reason to suspect Quirrell of any particular wrongdoing yet. He's spooky, that's all. Again, I think some of the comments are really out of character for McGonagall, but I can also see why she would want Harry to shut up before he said something that would force her to take an action she doesn't really think is justified.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

Harry also probably was doing the equivalent of abusing prescription medication. He was issued the time-turner because of his strange sleep disorder, right? The one that kept moving him two hours forwards every night, sleep-wise? And which, I suppose, is not amenable to any other treatment, such as (say) magic sleep potion pills which could reliably knock him out for eight hours at a fixed time? And here he is using it to gently caress around.

Since canon harry doesn't have it, we can safely say this 'disorder' isn't genetic in origin.

His dreams are just too :smuggo: for him to sleep a normal eight hours.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Tunicate posted:

Since canon harry doesn't have it, we can safely say this 'disorder' isn't genetic in origin.

His dreams are just too :smuggo: for him to sleep a normal eight hours.

Eliezer stated that he had that exact disorder as a kid IRL, so I expect your diagnosis to be completely correct.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We can also pretty safely say it's not a disorder; insomnia doesn't work that way (at least not a chronic one, that would have other effects - usually the little sleep you get not resting you at all). If I can hazard a guess, it was probably just lack of activity in daytime.

edit: VVV Didn't think of that one, mea culpa.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 21, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He's describing a circadian rhythm disorder, specifically delayed sleep phase disorder.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MikeJF posted:

He's describing a circadian rhythm disorder, specifically delayed sleep phase disorder.
So why does the little bastard need a time-twisting magic artifact rather than snooze pills? I mean I know the real reason but boy that's a thin reed to hand him that. I'm not sure how Hermione got access to one, I think she was such a high achiever they let her do it so she could take a couple of conflicting high-value courses.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Eliezer stated that he had that exact disorder as a kid IRL, so I expect your diagnosis to be completely correct.

the solution to this was for the Yud to take his pills earlier.

MoR Author's Notes posted:

...I should take my low-dose melatonin 5-7 hours before bedtime, instead of 1-2 hours, a recommendation which I’d never heard anywhere before.

And it worked.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I genuinely had an issue with my sleep rhytm at one point, it was constantly moving an hour forward every night, for a period of about two months. Really lovely thing to deal with. My best guess is that it had something to do with stress. It's not hard for me to believe that something similar can happen to someone else.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Fourteen

quote:

Thursday.

There must have been something about Thursdays in Hogwarts.

It was 5:32pm on Thursday afternoon, and Harry was standing next to Professor Flitwick, in front of the great stone gargoyle that guarded the entrance to the Headmaster's office.

No sooner had he made it back from Professor McGonagall's office to the Ravenclaw study rooms than one of the students told him to report to Professor Flitwick's office, and there Harry had learned that Dumbledore wanted to speak to him.

Harry, feeling rather apprehensive, had asked Professor Flitwick if the Headmaster had said what this was about.

Professor Flitwick had shrugged in a helpless sort of way.

Apparently Dumbledore had said that Harry was far too young to invoke the words of power and madness.

Happy happy boom boom swamp swamp swamp? Harry had thought but not said aloud.

"Please don't worry too much, Mr. Potter," squeaked Professor Flitwick from somewhere around Harry's shoulder level. (Harry was grateful for Professor Flitwick's gigantic puffy beard, it was hard getting used to a Professor who was not only shorter than him but spoke in a higher-pitched voice.) "Headmaster Dumbledore may seem a little odd, or a lot odd, or even extremely odd, but he has never hurt a student in the slightest, and I don't believe he ever will." Professor Flitwick gave Harry an encouraging smile. "Just keep that in mind at all times and you'll be sure not to panic!"

This was not helping.

Agreed. That was the complete opposite of “reassuring”.

quote:

"Good luck!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, and leaned over to the gargoyle and said something that Harry somehow failed to hear at all. (Of course, the password wouldn't be much good if you could hear someone saying it.) And the stone gargoyle walked aside with a very natural and ordinary movement that Harry found rather shocking, since the gargoyle still looked like solid, immovable stone the whole time.

Behind the gargoyle was a set of slowly revolving spiral stairs. There was something disturbingly hypnotic about it, and even more disturbing was that revolving the spiral ought not to take you anywhere.

"Up you go!" squeaked Flitwick.

Harry rather nervously stepped onto the spiral, and found himself, for some reason that his brain couldn't seem to visualise at all, moving upwards.

The gargoyle thudded back into place behind him, and the spiral stairs kept turning and Harry kept being higher up, and after a rather dizzying time, Harry found himself in front of an oak door with a brass griffin knocker.

Harry reached out and turned the doorknob.

The door swung open.

And Harry saw the most interesting room he'd ever seen in his life.

There were tiny metal mechanisms that whirred or ticked or slowly changed shape or emitted little puffs of smoke. There were dozens of mysterious fluids in dozens of oddly shaped containers, all bubbling, boiling, oozing, changing color, or forming into interesting shapes that vanished half a second after you saw them. There were things that looked like clocks with many hands, inscribed with numbers or in unrecognisable languages. There was a bracelet bearing a lenticular crystal that sparkled with a thousand colors, and a bird perched atop a golden platform, and a wooden cup filled with what looked like blood, and a statue of a falcon encrusted in black enamel. The wall was all hung with pictures of people sleeping, and the Sorting Hat was casually poised on a hatrack that was also holding two umbrellas and three red slippers for left feet.

In the midst of all the chaos was a clean black oaken desk. Before the desk was an oaken stool. And behind the desk was a well-cushioned throne containing Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, who was adorned with a long silver beard, a hat like a squashed giant mushroom, and what looked to Muggle eyes like three layers of bright pink pyjamas.

This description of Dumbledore’s room and the section of how “before the desk was X” and “behind Y was Z” feels very reminiscent of Tolkien’s writing style, but I can’t tell if this is a copy of a (vaguely remembered) actual passage in Tolkien’s books or just a general homage to him.

quote:

Dumbledore was smiling, and his bright eyes twinkled with a mad intensity.

With some trepidation, Harry seated himself in front of the desk. The door swung shut behind him with a loud thunk.

"Hello, Harry," said Dumbledore.

"Hello, Headmaster," Harry replied. So they were on a first-name basis? Would Dumbledore now say to call him -

"Please, Harry!" said Dumbledore. "Headmaster sounds so formal. Just call me Heh for short."

"I'll be sure to, Heh," said Harry.

There was a slight pause.

"Do you know," said Dumbledore, "you're the first person who's ever taken me up on that?"

"Ah..." Harry said. He tried to control his voice despite the sudden sinking feeling in his stomach. "I'm sorry, I, ah, Headmaster, you told me to do it so I did -"

"Heh, please!" said Dumbledore cheerfully. "And there's no call to be so worried, I won't launch you out a window just because you make one mistake. I'll give you plenty of warnings first, if you're doing something wrong! Besides, what matters isn't how people talk to you, it's what they think of you."

He's never hurt a student, just keep remembering that and you'll be sure not to panic.

Eliezer does accurately capture the canonical essence of Dumbledore being an actually terrifying person and horrible educator beneath his jovial surface, in my opinion.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

quote:

"Good luck!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, and leaned over to the gargoyle and said something that Harry somehow failed to hear at all. (Of course, the password wouldn't be much good if you could hear someone saying it.)

If only Gay Black Yudhitler had just stuck to doing this sort of thing, this'd all be a nice, fun, (short!), good-spirited, readable exercise. C'est l'internet.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

If only Gay Black Yudhitler had just stuck to doing this sort of thing, this'd all be a nice, fun, (short!), good-spirited, readable exercise. C'est l'internet.

Yeah. Could have been something along the lines of The Last Ringbearer. Alas.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The greatest tragedy of HPMOR is easily that Yudkowsky is, at the end of the day, not the worst writer of prose out there and all that overflowing enthusiasm could, if he had been more inclined to it and less insane, been channelled into something of actual acceptable quality, and I don't even think he would have to compromise on the science stuff if he really wanted to. Would help if it was more accurate and less, y'know, mad futurist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

JosephWongKS posted:

This description of Dumbledore’s room and the section of how “before the desk was X” and “behind Y was Z” feels very reminiscent of Tolkien’s writing style, but I can’t tell if this is a copy of a (vaguely remembered) actual passage in Tolkien’s books or just a general homage to him.
Reads more like some Infocom game poo poo.

Dumbledore's Room

It's full of clocks and poo poo.

There are exits to the north and the east.

Items here: Dumbledore, Dumbledore's clock, Dumbledore's poorly hidden gay pornography, Death (waiting)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The greatest tragedy of HPMOR is easily that Yudkowsky is, at the end of the day, not the worst writer of prose out there and all that overflowing enthusiasm could, if he had been more inclined to it and less insane, been channelled into something of actual acceptable quality, and I don't even think he would have to compromise on the science stuff if he really wanted to. Would help if it was more accurate and less, y'know, mad futurist.
Hell, there's nothing even wrong with being mad futurist in the context of a commentary on the themes of Harry Potter. Fear and acceptance of death are major themes and it'd be entirely valid to say something like "Voldemort wanting to cheat death wasn't what was evil, it was being a murderous wizard-nazi that was evil. Wanting to defeat death is totally something a wizard should want to learn to do." Whether one agrees with that or not, I'm OK with somebody writing something about the idea if they want to create a counterpoint to the canon message.

Plus being in a setting where actual magic is real, it'd probably be a lot easier to bring about the silly things futurists like this believe are possible. You've already got most diseases and injuries spanked with healing magic, that's a hell of a start.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

As someone showed upthread, yud is batting pretty poorly on the science stuff.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Tunicate posted:

As someone showed upthread, yud is batting pretty poorly on the science stuff.

Hence the last sentence, there.

Nakar posted:

Hell, there's nothing even wrong with being mad futurist in the context of a commentary on the themes of Harry Potter.

I think it's kind of weird in a setting where a literal afterlife is shown as being real and something that happens to souls after they die, though. But I agree, you could totally make a workable thing out of that, if you wanted to. But, as has been said before, Yud is trying to do too much at once and he's being pretty sloppy with all of it. Unfortunately I think just biting off more than he can chew isn't the fundamental problem with that particular author, so even though the story needs a good slashing I don't think it would've rescued it in the end.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Hence the last sentence, there.

I think it's kind of weird in a setting where a literal afterlife is shown as being real and something that happens to souls after they die, though. But I agree, you could totally make a workable thing out of that, if you wanted to. But, as has been said before, Yud is trying to do too much at once and he's being pretty sloppy with all of it. Unfortunately I think just biting off more than he can chew isn't the fundamental problem with that particular author, so even though the story needs a good slashing I don't think it would've rescued it in the end.

We don't really know if there is a true afterlife, though? We have the ghosts, who are stuck and can't go on to whatever may or may not be there, we have the train station limbo where Harry and Voldemort go to, and we have the temporary spirits from the stone and who knows whether they're real or constructs of Harry's. Have we seen an afterlife that is fully untethered from the living world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I seem to recall Dumbledore explicitly mentioning it, but you could easily make the argument he's full of poo poo and doesn't know any better than anyone else. On the other hand, just the existence of ghosts that seem capable of lingering forever means death in the Potter universe is not the hollow cessation of existence that it is in reality.