Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I have never wanted a bike more. That's a great advert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

spog posted:

I have never wanted a bike more. That's a great advert.
Me too, if it wasn't 17500.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

rainwulf posted:

Couldn't he uh.. drive it? to a place that had less chance of mishap? or even just.. i don't know.. bring it to a stop with the gearbox and then let it slowly touch a power pole or something. There has to be more to this story. Sure brakes can fail but im sure those drat huge rear end crane things have a hydrodynamic gearbox that would allow fine grain control of momentum for position and what-not.

One would assume that the crane was operating at the very limits of its performance envelope.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Safety Dance posted:

One would assume that the crane was operating at the very limits of its performance envelope.

I cannot either understand this. Why not engine brake? I'd also like to understand how the brakes failed to operate. With pressure loss they automatically engage and the parking brakes are on a separate circuit. That's at least how normal trucks work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Cranes like that are by no means normal trucks. It's probably an automatic with awful engine braking (or a hydrostatic trans, but I don't understand how those work) and they usually have some variety of planetary geared hubs plus the usual diff in the middle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

rainwulf posted:

Couldn't he uh.. drive it? to a place that had less chance of mishap? or even just.. i don't know.. bring it to a stop with the gearbox and then let it slowly touch a power pole or something. There has to be more to this story. Sure brakes can fail but im sure those drat huge rear end crane things have a hydrodynamic gearbox that would allow fine grain control of momentum for position and what-not.

It was rolling down hill with houses around it. That takes a lot of friction/effort to stop. The driver is a loving hero for planting it where he did.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The only thing I wonder about the crane video is what would happen if the driver started extending the supports feet? It seems like that could be used as an anchor to dig into the street and maybe slow the crane down, or maybe just increase the trail of destruction. Maybe repairing the street and support legs would be cheaper than smashing into a rail bridge. I have no idea what would happen, but it would be fun to watch.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Crotch Fruit posted:

The only thing I wonder about the crane video is what would happen if the driver started extending the supports feet? It seems like that could be used as an anchor to dig into the street and maybe slow the crane down, or maybe just increase the trail of destruction. Maybe repairing the street and support legs would be cheaper than smashing into a rail bridge. I have no idea what would happen, but it would be fun to watch.

It was mentioned just last page that it has a safety feature preventing lowering of the arms while moving :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The rail bridge probably didn't give a gently caress, those things are well built and pretty solidly anchored. The phone poles didn't really do much except whet its appetite though.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
This came up on the Porsche 944 S2 facebook feed:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Delivery McGee posted:

Reminds me of the video of dropping some kind of vehicle out the back of a C-130 and the vehicle breaks loose from its pallet on impact and just keeps on truckin' at whatever the minimum airspeed for a heavy C-130 is.

Here it is, at 1:10 and again zoomed in at 1:52 in this video (warning: questionable music choice):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DopZgJaWstk

I wonder what the motor pool write up looked like for that thing.

"FLAT SPOT ON ALL FOUR TIRES. SLIGHT PULL TO THE LEFT, NEEDS ALIGNMENT"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

And then Soldier B looked at it where it was parked, decided it looked like the wheels pointed the right direction and couldn't see the flat spots and checked it off as repaired.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

kastein posted:

or a hydrostatic trans, but I don't understand how those work

It's a variable displacement hydraulic pump (normally an axial piston pump) driving fluid through a hydraulic line to a hydraulic motor. Speed is governed by fluid pressure, which can be changed, as usual, by altering the angle of the swash plate inside the pump. Reverse is achieved by tilting the swash plate past its neutral position.

It's easier to think of it as a separate pump and motor rather than as a single 'transmission' unit.

Advantages include ease of use, extremely fine control, and insanely high torque. Disadvantages include lower efficiently, single speed output (no 'gears'), and insanely high torque. Uses are limited to industrial machinery. I use these a lot in cherry pickers/scissor lifts.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Mercury Ballistic posted:

There is a sea story of a bunch of stowaways who were killed when the chain departing the chain locker they were hiding shredded them. Sea story though so ...

Don't know about that story, but there are real, documented cases of people suffocating while being in the rooms the chains are stored, as their oxidation removes most of the oxygen from the air.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/ship-safety-failures-by-owner-led-to-suffocation-of-three-men-1-1040331

http://maritimeaccident.org/library2/the-case-of-the-rusty-assassin/

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If your had to choose between chainsphyxiation or hearing the words "customer with the ram van authorised a motor"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

Cranes like that are by no means normal trucks. It's probably an automatic with awful engine braking (or a hydrostatic trans, but I don't understand how those work) and they usually have some variety of planetary geared hubs plus the usual diff in the middle.

FWIW the last vehicle like that I saw had humongous ZTL-style disc brakes mounted to the rim, gripped by a great fuckoff truck caliper.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Don't know about that story, but there are real, documented cases of people suffocating while being in the rooms the chains are stored, as their oxidation removes most of the oxygen from the air.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/ship-safety-failures-by-owner-led-to-suffocation-of-three-men-1-1040331

http://maritimeaccident.org/library2/the-case-of-the-rusty-assassin/

That's actually super interesting. Thanks.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

EightBit posted:

It was mentioned just last page that it has a safety feature preventing lowering of the arms while moving :colbert:

If one safety system is already failing, what's tomsay the other safety will still work??

kastein posted:

The rail bridge probably didn't give a gently caress, those things are well built and pretty solidly anchored. The phone poles didn't really do much except whet its appetite though.

The FAQ for 11'8" bridge says that the rail road company installed a steel beam tomprotect the bridge, although I suppose multiple repeadeted hits by box trucks and the like is a different kind of load then a single impact from a crane.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

The FAQ for 11'8" bridge says that the rail road company installed a steel beam toprotect the bridge, although I suppose multiple repeated hits by box trucks and the like is a different kind of load then a single impact from a crane.

Every time someone hits a bridge*, it needs a structural engineer to OK it before it can carry traffic again.

I'd say the beam's there because it's cheaper to simply put up another sacrificial steel beam than to re-inspect the bridge, not because truck-based erosion of the bridge is a problem.

*: in a motor vehicle. If you just get in a fist fight with it, no-one who isn't your orthopedic surgeon particularly cares.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IPCRESS posted:

If you just get in a fist fight with it, no-one who isn't your orthopedic surgeon particularly cares.

It takes a big man to punch out a bridge.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Falken posted:

This came up on the Porsche 944 S2 facebook feed:

When did kastein get a Porsche? :what:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Reminds me of Bush Mechanics. It is a decent TV show about Indigenous blokes in the very isolated Northern Territory fixing their cars with stuff at hand. I'm pretty sure they do the wheel replacement log in the first eipsode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wspwBcuOZFg

edit: also removing a the roof with axes so that it can be used like a sled.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

It's a variable displacement hydraulic pump (normally an axial piston pump) driving fluid through a hydraulic line to a hydraulic motor. Speed is governed by fluid pressure, which can be changed, as usual, by altering the angle of the swash plate inside the pump. Reverse is achieved by tilting the swash plate past its neutral position.

It's easier to think of it as a separate pump and motor rather than as a single 'transmission' unit.

Advantages include ease of use, extremely fine control, and insanely high torque. Disadvantages include lower efficiently, single speed output (no 'gears'), and insanely high torque. Uses are limited to industrial machinery. I use these a lot in cherry pickers/scissor lifts.

Honda in fact uses a variable-displacement pump as a CVT in a couple of its motorcycles.

Don't really know why you'd want an automatic transmission on a motorcycle, but okay.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's Honda. You don't get what you want, you get what they tell you and you'll like it and say thank you and ask for more, please

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Data Graham posted:

But it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Nah us lowbrow men laugh our asses off at that dude too.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tobu posted:

Reminds me of Bush Mechanics. It is a decent TV show about Indigenous blokes in the very isolated Northern Territory fixing their cars with stuff at hand. I'm pretty sure they do the wheel replacement log in the first eipsode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wspwBcuOZFg

edit: also removing a the roof with axes so that it can be used like a sled.

I used to love watching bush mechanics. It was basically the art of driving a car into the ground repeatedly. Don't let a flat tire stop you when theres no spare just fill it full of grass and you're good to go. In another episode the fuel pump stopped working so they fitted a jerry can to the roof that fed into the fuel pump.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I used to love watching bush mechanics. It was basically the art of driving a car into the ground repeatedly. Don't let a flat tire stop you when theres no spare just fill it full of grass and you're good to go. In another episode the fuel pump stopped working so they fitted a jerry can to the roof that fed into the fuel pump.

And the fuel pump was actually a windscreen wiper pump if I remember correctly?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I suspect that after scratching about 4 feet of pavement they'd have been ripped right the hell off. They're built to hold the thing up, not be subjected to stresses 90 degrees off.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Sagebrush posted:

Honda in fact uses a variable-displacement pump as a CVT in a couple of its motorcycles.

Don't really know why you'd want an automatic transmission on a motorcycle, but okay.

This is pretty loving cool. I assume the advantage would be the ability to keep the engine at its peak power output at all speeds. My only concern would be power lost as heat in the hydraulic fluid. My cars' hydraulic suspension uses a variable displacement axial piston pump, and requires a reasonably large oil cooler with a fan to keep the fluid cool.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is pretty loving cool. I assume the advantage would be the ability to keep the engine at its peak power output at all speeds. My only concern would be power lost as heat in the hydraulic fluid. My cars' hydraulic suspension uses a variable displacement axial piston pump, and requires a reasonably large oil cooler with a fan to keep the fluid cool.

The advantage is to give limp-wristed pussies an automatic motorbike that isn't a scooter.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Old people

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If it results in more available organs for transplant patients, I'm all for an automatic transmission motorcycle.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Pssst, hey kids
Do you want to see more things jacked up badly?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
:dong:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

They're only single speed in certain machines, depending on the setup. In a skid steer loader, for example, they're infinitely variable, acting like a CVT.

In a hydraulic system, the pump doesn't control the pressure, only the flow of oil. When you rotate the swashplate, you increase the stroke length of the pump's pistons, increasing flow. Pressure only happens with resistance to flow, ie a load, and if the resistance is too much the increased pressure will cause the pump to destroke (or the engine to stall if that's not possible). It's counterintuitive, but maximum torque at the motor for a given RPM is achieved with minimal rotation of the swashplate.

The biggest advantage is that they let the engine run at its ideal RPM (ie top of the torque curve) all the time. The biggest disadvantage is the heat they produce, mostly from friction between the hoses and the oil itself, which gets worse the faster you go. Even at low speeds you need a bigass oil cooler to keep the whole thing from overheating.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

warcake posted:

Pssst, hey kids
Do you want to see more things jacked up badly?

They're all in the collars where they should be, quit being a pussy and maybe bitch about it when things get really sketchy :colbert:

Now hold my beer.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I was driving though a church parking lot and I found the creepy volvo parking zone in the back corner

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

0toShifty posted:

I was driving though a church parking lot and I found the creepy volvo parking zone in the back corner

nothing about those are horrible though except for the loving heater core!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Volvo enthusiasts are weird. My buddies dad is one and although he has a personal shop capable of boring engine blocks, milling cam shafts and making custom tooling among 2 hangers full of old Americana and 2 Cessnas, he chose to spend 10 years restoring a 93 V40.