Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The talk on Culexus reminded me of my oldest, oldest comedy combo - This is circa late 3rd Edition, mind.

You took the Last Chancers back when they were a unit, but after they'd been changed form a bunch of named characters to generic guys you could upgrade, and one of the option was to upgrade each guy with a Lasgun to be a Psyker for like, a couple of points, so they were just expensive Guardsmen with a lovely power. Buy them a Chimera.

Buy a Culexus, and have him ride in the same Chimera as the 12th Passenger as an Independent Character not attached to the Unit. All of the Last Chancers could fire their Lasguns as normal thanks to the Chimera rules, so they were just a bunch of mooks, but the Culexus got +1 Shot on his Animus Speculum for every Psyker within 12". That's S5 AP2.

Sadly, it wasn't actually very good apart from the firepower (It's still just a Chimera, the guys were all Ld7, etc.) but it was funny to turn the Anti-Psyker Assassin into a Marine Munching Minigun™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Shockeh posted:

The talk on Culexus reminded me of my oldest, oldest comedy combo - This is circa late 3rd Edition, mind.

You took the Last Chancers back when they were a unit, but after they'd been changed form a bunch of named characters to generic guys you could upgrade, and one of the option was to upgrade each guy with a Lasgun to be a Psyker for like, a couple of points, so they were just expensive Guardsmen with a lovely power. Buy them a Chimera.

Buy a Culexus, and have him ride in the same Chimera as the 12th Passenger as an Independent Character not attached to the Unit. All of the Last Chancers could fire their Lasguns as normal thanks to the Chimera rules, so they were just a bunch of mooks, but the Culexus got +1 Shot on his Animus Speculum for every Psyker within 12". That's S5 AP2.

Sadly, it wasn't actually very good apart from the firepower (It's still just a Chimera, the guys were all Ld7, etc.) but it was funny to turn the Anti-Psyker Assassin into a Marine Munching Minigun™.

I could do one better. Old IG Psyker Squads used to have a power that reduced an enemy's leadrship by 1 per psyker.

They came in squads of 10.

The Everessor Assassin's flamer was AP2, wounded S8 vs. Leadership and specifically said it counted for Instant Death. ALSO also she infiltrated anywhere outside 1" of an enemy model.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

raverrn posted:

The Everessor Assassin's flamer was AP2, wounded S8 vs. Leadership and specifically said it counted for Instant Death. ALSO also she infiltrated anywhere outside 1" of an enemy model.

I'm sure you mean a Callidus! :mil101:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

DrPop posted:

What have y'all found to be the best way to ship assembled Hams with potentially fragile bits? I'm sending some Deathshroud terminators to a guy to be painted and I'm worried about the scythe blades getting bent or broken.

If they're really spindly, packing peanuts will help, but the best solution is to affix them to a sturdy box with lots of space. You could use rubber bands to hold them to the floor of the box, some people magnetize the bases and plonk them onto a steel sheet attached to the box.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Post 9-11 User posted:

If they're really spindly, packing peanuts will help, but the best solution is to affix them to a sturdy box with lots of space. You could use rubber bands to hold them to the floor of the box, some people magnetize the bases and plonk them onto a steel sheet attached to the box.

Also I know it sounds silly but crumpled up paper towels are actually very effective as well. The material holds a shape and has bounce to it which provides shock protection. If you gently wrap your models in a few layers, tape that shut, and then surround it with enough lightly crumpled paper to fill the box you should see good success barring someone actually crushing your box.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Yeah, paper towel works very well, so does newspaper when gently crushed into soft shapes. Lots of spaces in such a ball to accommodate bits, still very giving. Loose foam works the same way, but that's hard to come by and the models can shift around in the box.

Shockeh posted:

He wouldn't have been able to ride with them in 3rd, which had a One Unit Embarked policy stricter than China's one child policy. Still, he would go brrrrrraaaapppppp if close enough to that unit and close enough to a target.

People did the same thing with sanctioned psykers until GW clarified that they would count as one psyker for the Speculum rule.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 25, 2015

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Cool, thanks for the suggestions y'all.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Safety Factor posted:

Dark Angels just got access to relic blades in their latest book and they're only for captains. You'd think, of all the chapters, they'd have a bunch of ancient swords laying around. :v:

Too be fair, Dark angels are pretty notorious for having sword accidents, or having swords stolen. Zing!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Surely that was a spelling error. SURELY this deadly psychic assassin does not wield a speculum.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Ignite Memories posted:

Surely that was a spelling error. SURELY this deadly psychic assassin does not wield a speculum.

It's an ANIMUS speculum. It does it to your SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUL.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yes it is a typo, it's actually supposed to be the anus speculum.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So what is preferable when it comes to Tactical marine weapons?
I've got five marines I want to equip for possible future play but I'm a bit undecided if I want to give anyone a Melta or a Plasma or a combimelta/plasma.

Right now I have two bolter marines and one sergeant with a Thunderhammer/Boltpistol combo. Which leaves me with two guys in limbo. One of them might get a melta but not too sure and the last guy I'm really undecided for due to lacking the newer type of arms currently.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The answer is always plasma. No risk, no reward. :getin:

Honestly, plasma is a solid choice as its range matches the squad's bolters and can be used effectively on just about any target. Melta's more specialized, but it's pretty drat powerful. I'd go for a meltagun if the sergeant also had a combi-melta. That at least almost approaches being a dedicated anti-tank unit. A lot of people like grav-guns too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

The answer is always plasma. No risk, no reward. :getin:

Honestly, plasma is a solid choice as its range matches the squad's bolters and can be used effectively on just about any target. Melta's more specialized, but it's pretty drat powerful. I'd go for a meltagun if the sergeant also had a combi-melta. That at least almost approaches being a dedicated anti-tank unit. A lot of people like grav-guns too.

Well I do have a Heavy Plasma I can slap on the last guy. Or a Rocket Launcher for that part. And a bunch of combi-plasmas too if I wanted to go all in on that.

Because this is a scrounge job my biggest limitation for this is pretty much my lack of proper marine arms for bolters and such.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 25, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I don't normally post criticisms in the pro-40K thread, but as from one Battletech thread buddy to another I'll be frank:

Sorry you had to hear this so late after recently deciding to get into 40K, but GW doesn't care to make balanced rules for their games or even to playtest them with any rigor. Arguably this means their game rules can wind up being pure strain horseshit. That's obviously not a dealbreaker if you're prepared for it and a lot of people are. If you like the minis and the hobby aspect and are going to stick with it, you'll just have to terms with the fact that sometimes you're just going to get hosed.

Find better people to play with (who will gracefully reroll if they get Invisibility, because GW puts the onus of better game balance on the players) or be Imperial and buy a Culexus I guess.

Yeah, the person I was playing against seemed like they'd done their utmost to center their army around psyker powers and lots of plasma and meltas hidden or augmented by them, so I probably should have known better than to play them. The guys I usually play against on days off tend to bring fun and varied lists where it is a toss-up who might come out on top. Not really an option to be Imperial though, got the army I have on a sale and I'm not about to put more money into the hobby when I just went back to university.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

So what is preferable when it comes to Tactical marine weapons?
I've got five marines I want to equip for possible future play but I'm a bit undecided if I want to give anyone a Melta or a Plasma or a combimelta/plasma.

Right now I have two bolter marines and one sergeant with a Thunderhammer/Boltpistol combo. Which leaves me with two guys in limbo. One of them might get a melta but not too sure and the last guy I'm really undecided for due to lacking the newer type of arms currently.

Melta is the only way. How the hell are you going to assault the juicy contents of that enemy Land Raider with your Plasma weapon? Answer: You're not and you're going to fail the God-Emperor. Choosy marines choose Melta-weapons.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
The answer is magnetize the wrist so you can have anything you want.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Uroboros posted:

That is a very good point actually. I might just have enough small magnets to do that to some extent.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
For Tac loadouts I try to think of a specific goal for each squad and outfit them accordingly. If one squad is meant to camp an objective in the midfield I might give them a Lascannon and Plasma gun, for instance. Once I've got this worked out I give each squad a Heavy Flamer (Blood Angels) and Melta gun, shove them in drop pods and point them at the bad guys. Subtle play is not always my strong suit.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My main army in this case is IG with a plasma toting Company Command Squad so I might just equip these guys with Plasmas to bolster them a bit since all of my veteran squads have Meltas in them.

If I ever want to run proper Marine allies I probably need to get 15 more marines and some HQ guy.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Possibly dumb question: does the +2 S bonus from Hammerhand apply to your bonus Hammer of Wrath slam attack?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Hammer of Wrath is resolved at your unmodified Strength.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Uroboros posted:

poo poo. This is very relevant to my interests, but I've got to say, not knowing the exact magnets to order (and the associated drill bit size) to buy is an impediment to someone as lazy as me. Help?

I also have a cautionary tale of a fellow Warham and goon that magnetized just about everything on a marine army, to the point where he could use every single tiny bit and option he had. Said warham-goon (should have) spent months in an inpatient psych hospital and is irrevocably twisted and broken as a result of that (and likely other) experiece(s).

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Germ posted:

poo poo. This is very relevant to my interests, but I've got to say, not knowing the exact magnets to order (and the associated drill bit size) to buy is an impediment to someone as lazy as me. Help?

I also have a cautionary tale of a fellow Warham and goon that magnetized just about everything on a marine army, to the point where he could use every single tiny bit and option he had. Said warham-goon (should have) spent months in an inpatient psych hospital and is irrevocably twisted and broken as a result of that (and likely other) experiece(s).

When I get home I'll give you the measurements and brand I've been using. Been doing a lot of magnetizing lately. I've probably put well over a hundred magnets in the course of doing my latest Devastators and Terminators.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adamantium|wang posted:

Hammer of Wrath is resolved at your unmodified Strength.

I wish hammer of wrath did something other than be forgotten. It's like MCs and fear.

Unless you are a carnifex. Could you imagine if the carnifex charge rules made them AP2 as well? Would make them kinda more useful.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Germ posted:

2mm x 1mm N50 neodymium disc magnets are perfect for Space Marine wrists and arms, you just have to go a bit slowly so you don't accidentally drill through their hands. 3mm x 1mm are great for backpacks and shoulder joints. You could probably get away with only N35 strength magnets for plastic components but I think its worth paying a bit more for N50.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

You are correct, I apologize for my error. Its weapon is actually called Speculoos, which is Latin for, this tastes so amazing, wow I'm high

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Germ posted:

I've been using magnets from primal horizon. For Marine wrists, melee weapons and special weapons, the 1/16 X 1/32 magnets work great. For arms and heavy weapons 1/8 X 1/16 works well but 3/32 X 1/16 does as well if you find the former is to powerful. The plus size of the larger ones is if you drill to deep their pull is enough to make up any gap. I have a hand tool and dremmel drill, the drill bits for the dremmel work with the hand tool easily enough so just snag a set. The powered drill is really required for the arms and anything larger, but you will want the hand tool for wrists and gun barrels. I've found the depth of the hole is always the hardest thing to gauge so it's important to use caution because if you drill to deep gluing the magnet becomes much harder. As for what drill bits fit the magnets you can go by the bit sizes, but sometimes you need to go one larger, but be careful because if the hole is to wide your magnet will have no edges to adhere to when you glue it. Use very small amounts of glue because even a small amount will come spilling out of the hole when you press the magnet in.

Also Stanyr, if you still want those 10 Corvus helms I'll stickem in an envelope and mail them out if you can send me a set of Marine special weapons in return.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 26, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Post 9-11 User posted:

You are correct, I apologize for my error. Its weapon is actually called Speculoos, which is Latin for, this tastes so amazing, wow I'm high

Your translation is somewhat off. It actually means holy gently caress this is so much better when it's a cookie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculoos

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Those sound fantastically gross so no surprise Europeans love em.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

panascope posted:

Those sound fantastically gross so no surprise Europeans love em.

I'm Canadian and I love them. They're sweet and somewhat savoury at the same time.

Unlike the smoked, jellied eel that my Dutch grandparents suck down with gusto. That poo poo combines the worst aspects of jello and sea life. I can't even look at it without gagging.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My scrounged up Blood Ravens guys keep increasing in size. Now I've got enough complete torsos to get a second 5 man troop with the ones I've already got. Now I just need to get five pair of legs somehow.
Might get weapon arms tomorrow if I'm lucky otherwise I'll have to order bolters and arms too.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
On a scale from 1 to 10, how mad do you guys reckon Hams would get if I grabbed some of those Statuesque Minis lady heads and jammed them on some of my Marines? Because I'm awfully tempted to just to see the reaction.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Uroboros posted:

Magnet talk

adamantium|wang posted:

More magnet talk

Perfect, thanks!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cooked Auto posted:

My scrounged up Blood Ravens guys keep increasing in size. Now I've got enough complete torsos to get a second 5 man troop with the ones I've already got. Now I just need to get five pair of legs somehow.
Might get weapon arms tomorrow if I'm lucky otherwise I'll have to order bolters and arms too.

You just need some bolter marines?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

You just need some bolter marines?

Pretty much, already have a melta and a rocket launcher and after that I just need to buy another tactical squad box if I want to increase both squads up to 10 at some point. Problem is of course that legs are the hardest thing to come up as far as I've found.
Everything else I need, such as shoulder pads, arms and bolters are relatively easy to get ahold off. I've already asked around at the FLGS if someone has some spare of those to give me.

Edit: Turns out a bitz store I've got bookmarked had everything I needed and with half price off due to Black Friday.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 26, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh ok. I got some basic marines that I rescued, rebased and primered. I don't actually need them but having some extra marines around is never a bad thing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SteelMentor posted:

On a scale from 1 to 10, how mad do you guys reckon Hams would get if I grabbed some of those Statuesque Minis lady heads and jammed them on some of my Marines? Because I'm awfully tempted to just to see the reaction.

Hopefully you get an 11. I bought some from Victoria Miniatures the other day and have already used a few. Except it's very hard to tell because my Salamanders have blue skin with white hair and red eyes. Unless you point it out or someone is looking at your lady marine up close, no one is going to notice on the table.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

LordAba posted:

I wish hammer of wrath did something other than be forgotten. It's like MCs and fear.

Unless you are a carnifex. Could you imagine if the carnifex charge rules made them AP2 as well? Would make them kinda more useful.

That actually exists in the form of a stonecrusher carnifex, and it's absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

If not just grab a bunch of the Dreamforge Not-Marines and slap the heads on there and call them Sisters of Battle.
It's a conversion I'd love to do but the price tag is a bit on the big side for me.

• Locked thread