Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

It's like the Dave Chappell show. A disturbing percentage of the people quoting it just want to be able to yell the n word without consequence.

OBAMA IS A *BOOOOOONG*

What was that, Rushbo?!

I SAID...OBAMA...IS...A...*BOOOOONG*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Noam Chomsky posted:

I know that's what they believe. I simply don't care. Those beliefs are incorrect. It being "morally justified" to support the Republican party, despite there being nothing moral about it, is not even what I've been talking about. You've basically said "Well, if you believe in what the GOP believes, then it's OK to be a Republican!" Who gives a gently caress? That's obvious.

Actually it's just plain old ignorance and identity politics. It's cultural. Even if you give them different information, they'll cling to their views anyway.

What's the point of being an apologist for Republicans? Did I offend you in some way? Are you a former or current Republican? Lots of Republican friends and family?
The first and most important value in a debate is to argue in good faith. Even if you believe with complete certainty that you are correct, you need to be willing to assess the other side's position from their point of view. If you get too protective of your ideals, you'll never learn anything new.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Judge Posner tore up a bullshit abortion law, and although the SCOTUS won't be quite as colorful, I absolutely agree that the court isn't about to overturn Roe or Casey.

http://abovethelaw.com/2015/11/judge-posner-drops-truth-bombs-like-it-aint-no-thang/
I just wish SCOTUS would take the time to actually think about the law like this, but you know they won't. I think best-case scenario, SCOTUS limits the effect of the Texas law but upholds most of it, because Kennedy is terrible on reproductive rights.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

TheQat posted:

If you're gonna be named Noam Chomsky you should really rethink some of this stuff

Not really. My original point was that the GOP wouldn't do any soul searching since it isn't in their interest to do so and that they're not really capable of it. Conservatism cannot fail, only be failed. The response to my statement was basically "But... but... Republicans are Republicans because reasons!" And, of course they are. If they became introspective and did some soul searching, they would probably find it more difficult to keep being Republican. Now, if they all did some en masse soul searching and suddenly decided to change their views in such a way as to be more palatable to the poor, minorities, women, LGBTQ folks, et al then I think you'd find they already have a party for people like that - they're called the loving Democrats.

Never did I loving say that Democrats were perfect and good and always righteous. I wasn't the one who brought up the us vs. them bullshit. I do, however, believe that the right has no good ideas and certainly no ideas that help the average person, and I think you'd find Chomsky would loving agree with that since he is a loving anarchist, which is a political position way loving far from the loving authoritarian right - which is the end of the political spectrum modern Republicans typically loving occupy. So, I think you need to rethink some things. Thanks.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

The first and most important value in a debate is to argue in good faith. Even if you believe with complete certainty that you are correct, you need to be willing to assess the other side's position from their point of view. If you get too protective of your ideals, you'll never learn anything new.

Because I come in here and say that the GOP has political positions that benefit no one but rich white folks, it doesn't mean that I don't "assess the other side's position from their point of view." What it means that I don't like their point of view and I don't see any way to change it. I wish I lived in this world some of you live in where you can show up and shine the light of knowledge on these people and they just change their loving mind. I think you're being very naive in assuming that having ideals means not learning anything new, and what is there to learn from your general conservative, who is generally wrong about just about everything and has been proven to be regularly.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 26, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Noam Chomsky posted:

Not really. My original point was that the GOP wouldn't do any soul searching since it isn't in their interest to do so and that they're not really capable of it. Conservatism cannot fail, only be failed. The response to my statement was basically "But... but... Republicans are Republicans because reasons!" And, of course they are. If they became introspective and did some soul searching, they would probably find it more difficult to keep being Republican. Now, if they all did some en masse soul searching and suddenly decided to change their views in such a way as to be more palatable to the poor, minorities, women, LGBTQ folks, et al then I think you'd find they already have a party for people like that - they're called the loving Democrats.

Never did I loving say that Democrats were perfect and good and always righteous. I wasn't the one who brought up the us vs. them bullshit. I do, however, believe that the right has no good ideas and certainly no ideas that help the average person, and I think you'd find Chomsky would loving agree with that since he is a loving anarchist, which is a political position way loving far from the loving authoritarian right - which is the end of the political spectrum modern Republicans typically loving occupy. So, I think you need to rethink some things. Thanks.

I don't think "soul searching" works how you think it does. There are multiple conservative people I know for whom I cannot believe any amount of introspection would yield any kind of leftward political movement. They have fully internalized those views.

but the point was not that Chomsky would fully disagree with you, rather that he generally has well-thought-out, nuanced opinions--not overly emotional internet forum rants about "IF CONSERVATIVES COULD ONLY SEARCH THEIR SOUUUUULS." You should try to be more like him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In the primary thread we were discussing what post Alex Jones would have in a Trump administration. I said head of the FDA, but Press Secretary and DCIA were also strong suggestions.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Joementum posted:

In the primary thread we were discussing what post Alex Jones would have in a Trump administration. I said head of the FDA, but Press Secretary and DCIA were also strong suggestions.

I was pondering that and of course it depends on what you want to accomplish as president, but from a spectators view I want him as SoS. Make the face of American diplomacy that psycho and I'd enjoy the probably short ride.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

the_paradigm_shift posted:

I was pondering that and of course it depends on what you want to accomplish as president, but from a spectators view I want him as SoS. Make the face of American diplomacy that psycho and I'd enjoy the probably short ride.

Ambassador to the Court of St. James would also be a strong choice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just wish SCOTUS would take the time to actually think about the law like this, but you know they won't. I think best-case scenario, SCOTUS limits the effect of the Texas law but upholds most of it, because Kennedy is terrible on reproductive rights.

They're going to overturn the 5th.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

No one seems to blame the real estate speculators, only millenials who can't afford continuously inflated rents and mortgages.

If you can't compete with foreign investors with cash offers well over asking prices it's because you aren't boot strapping hard enough.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Judge Posner tore up a bullshit abortion law, and although the SCOTUS won't be quite as colorful, I absolutely agree that the court isn't about to overturn Roe or Casey.

http://abovethelaw.com/2015/11/judge-posner-drops-truth-bombs-like-it-aint-no-thang/

Not this time they won't, although I do believe the Texas law will be at least mostly upheld. If a Republican wins the presidency in 2016 I'd say it's more likely than not that they take it all the way. Posner is not your average Republican judge. A Republican President would absolutely only nominate someone willing to overturn Roe. It would be especially important to Rubio, who I think is a true believer on the issue.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Luigi Thirty posted:

News:

Views:

:cawg:

Why are you kids all choosing practical living arrangements instead of working yourselves to death to clean up our mess :cry:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fknlo posted:

If you can't compete with foreign investors with cash offers well over asking prices it's because you aren't boot strapping hard enough.

There's a pretty big push in the banking industry to be rather uptight regarding AML when it comes to those particular types of clients. Turns out stuff like the fines against HSBC and BNPP scared the hell out of pac-rim-servicing institutions and a lot of them are now quite handily disabused of the "plausible deniability" figleaf when it comes to "oh just my family over there all wiring me $49,998 each" stuff.

Remember how there were a rash of huge drug money busts in south LA because people were using basically entire outlet malls to launder drug money? There's a lot of well-founded concern that the same transpacific money spigots (Mexican ones figured out they could just start up produce importer businesses) just switched over to real estate activity. Just tell the bank a lot of your tenants pay in cash and then deposit the money bag from the guy in sunglasses. It takes a lot of time and 314b action but eventually you have a strong case for stuff like pebble beach being waist deep in yakuza money and "car agencies" being used to tumble heroin money coming through China and SEA.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Not really. My original point was that the GOP wouldn't do any soul searching since it isn't in their interest to do so and that they're not really capable of it.

Right. People forget that the GOP are simply avatars that represent their constituents, who are only growing whiter, older, crazier, ANGRIER, and more stuck in their ways. Yes, theoretically the GOP should moderate and become more inclusive, but their voting base is personally going in the opposite direction of that, hence the GOP ignoring Reince's 2012 autopsy and pushing even further right.

And they are still very successful on a local and state level! So who really cares, even if it means they can never win the Presidency. Of course, there will be a national cycle one day when a lot of things have gone sour on a Democrat's watch, and a Republican might actually win the Presidency too. Hopefully not until congress has been un-gerrymandered and the Dems at least hold the Senate.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Luigi Thirty posted:

News:

Views:

Did they just delete this off Facebook entirely? I wanted to see the comments shitshow and I can't find it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FAUXTON posted:

There's a pretty big push in the banking industry to be rather uptight regarding AML when it comes to those particular types of clients. Turns out stuff like the fines against HSBC and BNPP scared the hell out of pac-rim-servicing institutions and a lot of them are now quite handily disabused of the "plausible deniability" figleaf when it comes to "oh just my family over there all wiring me $49,998 each" stuff.

Remember how there were a rash of huge drug money busts in south LA because people were using basically entire outlet malls to launder drug money? There's a lot of well-founded concern that the same transpacific money spigots (Mexican ones figured out they could just start up produce importer businesses) just switched over to real estate activity. Just tell the bank a lot of your tenants pay in cash and then deposit the money bag from the guy in sunglasses. It takes a lot of time and 314b action but eventually you have a strong case for stuff like pebble beach being waist deep in yakuza money and "car agencies" being used to tumble heroin money coming through China and SEA.

Do you have any links going into greater detail about this issues? I've never heard about this before, well, outside of HSBC.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

I like this press secretary idea

If I will not be governed, I will be entertained

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

JT Jag posted:

The first and most important value in a debate is to argue in good faith.
This is true...unless the other guys are clearly arguing in bad faith. Which is exactly what is happening both on a macro scale (ie. R candidates flagrantly lying) and on a micro one too (ie. read comment section in most any news article about BLM or Clinton right now).

You can't have a conversation or debate with someone when all they're going to do is gish gallop, switch goal posts, and/or ignore given information whenever they can't refute it. And all of that is common to see with R's and R voters right now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You can't have a conversation or debate with someone when all they're going to do is gish gallop, switch goal posts, and/or ignore given information whenever they can't refute it. And all of that is common to see with R's and R voters right now.
I always worry that last one is me. Like, if a breitbart article says five things, and I can instantly refute four but not the fifth, I just ignore it. Are we really so different, them and I?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Casimir Radon posted:

My brother went to school with one of the suspects in the white supremacist shooting in Minneapolis.

Mighty Whitey in all his glory. Nice choice of quote.

If you didn't have the personal photo, how would you ever know this wasn't a legit Al Qaeda pic?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Are we really so different, them and I?
If you're actually managing to engage with someone on most of their points well enough to refute the majority then you're not arguing in bad faith. Arguing in good faith doesn't require you to be right on everything or know everything. No one can do that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Solkanar512 posted:

Do you have any links going into greater detail about this issues? I've never heard about this before, well, outside of HSBC.

BNPP:
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/bnp-paribas-pleads-guilty-in-sanctions-case/

Pebble Beach (It's an old one but the method is the same just swap membership for tenants):
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories/1993-05-23/a-japanese-laundry-worth-1-billion

Laundering chinese drug money via cars:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/china/money-laundering-investigation-stymied-china-italy-says-n370341
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/US-Secret-Service-Busts-Chinese-Luxury-Car-Smuggling-Ring-226789041.html
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmu...ehicle-exports/

Outlet malls:
http://ktla.com/2014/09/10/feds-raid-l-a-s-fashion-district-in-drug-money-laundering-probe-2/

I know I didn't go into this, but there are these cool things called Geographic Targeting Orders:
https://www.fincen.gov/news_room/nr/pdf/LA_GTO_Order9-25-14.pdf
https://www.fincen.gov/news_room/nr/pdf/GTO_Miami.pdf
https://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/pdf/SW_Border_GTO.pdf

A GTO is basically the financial equivalent of turning on the kitchen light and watching where all the cockroaches go running off to. They initially seem innocuous - this one part of LA, lingerie shops, cell phone exporters in Miami, but the specificity is what makes it so mindblowing. The feds typically plunk these down when they've already untangled the process by which the fuckers are laundering as well as a good number of suspects, but want to mop up the little fish and throw a few wrenches into the machine. That last one? Armored Car services crossing through two named border crossings near San Diego.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 26, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

TheQat posted:

I don't think "soul searching" works how you think it does. There are multiple conservative people I know for whom I cannot believe any amount of introspection would yield any kind of leftward political movement. They have fully internalized those views.

but the point was not that Chomsky would fully disagree with you, rather that he generally has well-thought-out, nuanced opinions--not overly emotional internet forum rants about "IF CONSERVATIVES COULD ONLY SEARCH THEIR SOUUUUULS." You should try to be more like him.

So you're whining about his "tone" now? At this point I think people are just giving him poo poo because of his regdate, which is idiotic

Here: gently caress the GOP and what they stand for. I hope that statement doesn't offend your delicate sensibilities.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Luigi Thirty posted:

News:

Views:

Gee, I wonder what the gently caress happened in living memory that would dissuade millennials from sinking the money they don't have into something like that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

*cuts education funding to finance a pittance in tax cuts for me and a fuckton for people richer than me*

Gee why are all these lazy millenials living at with their parents and paying on their student loans instead of buying real estate to drive up my house value?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article45675894.html

Florida Republicans are giving the game away. If tax revenues go up, it's a tax hike, even if rates haven't changed.

So when Republicans call for supply side tax cuts, realize that even if their fantasy laffer curve worked, they'd stop demand more tax cuts as revenue rises.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ceterum censeo Republicanes esse delendas

i think i'm going to end all of my IRL conversations with that from now on

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
For anyone in the Boston area: Michael Dukakis wants your turkey carcass to make soup with, and he includes his home address in Brookline to drop them off

I will be doing this later today

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

icantfindaname posted:

ceterum censeo Republicanes esse delendas

i think i'm going to end all of my IRL conversations with that from now on

What an appropriate sentiment for thanksgiving, especially.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Riptor posted:

For anyone in the Boston area: Michael Dukakis wants your turkey carcass to make soup with, and he includes his home address in Brookline to drop them off

I will be doing this later today

He is literally Carl Weathers from Arrested Development.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article45675894.html

Florida Republicans are giving the game away. If tax revenues go up, it's a tax hike, even if rates haven't changed.

So when Republicans call for supply side tax cuts, realize that even if their fantasy laffer curve worked, they'd stop demand more tax cuts as revenue rises.

Interesting ratchet effect there. Economy contracts: don't touch tax rates, government has to tighten its belt like the rest of us! Economy recovers: cut tax rates so revenue stays depressed!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Good Citizen posted:

Dear millennials, please buy us out of our overpriced property investments.

Signed,
A bunch of fuckers

Doesn't sound like they're asking politely to me :shobon:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Noam Chomsky posted:

You should really reread your Burke. While I disagree with Republicans on almost everything, your understanding of Conservative philosophy is profoundly limited and shows a deep lack of, well, understanding. Without recognizing the legitimate arguments in favour of hierarchy, tradition, order and security you fail your own cause, simply because you will fail to convince anyone of the merit of your beliefs. How can you expect anyone to agree with you, when you so profoundly misrepresent and misunderstand conservatism as a philosophy?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 26, 2015

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I doubt most people in the GOP are supply siders anymore. The vocal end of the party just wants a smaller government that they can drown in a bathtub, ala Gorve Norquist. So basically anarchism/barbarism behind a smiling face.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

even if liberal-conservatism weren't a dumb ideology for idiot fuckers, the GOP left it literally over a generation ago. there's nobody alive in that party who even remembers moderate conservatism anymore. arguably it never really even was that, the classic American party system was based around ethnicity not ideology. but the bottom line is that at this point it's impossible for the GOP to turn itself into a European style christian democratic party. it's just not going to happen

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 26, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

The Iron Rose posted:

You should really reread your Burke. While I disagree with Republicans on almost everything, your understanding of Conservative philosophy is profoundly limited and shows a deep lack of understanding. Without recognizing the legitimate arguments in favour of hierarchy, tradition, order and security you fail your own cause, simply because you will fail to convince anyone of the merit of your beliefs. How can you expect anyone to agree with you, when you so profoundly misrepresent and misunderstand conservatism as a philosophy?

Movement conservatism (which is the brand of conservatism that the GOP represents) is distinct from classical conservatism. Most of us don't even make the distinction when we are talking about conservatism within the context of US politics since all mainstream conservatism in the US nowadays is movement conservatism.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

the problem with the GOP as a liberal-conservative party is that they're not actually very liberal in the small L sense of belief in constitutional, representative government, individual rights and the rule of law. it's a party based around getting as much of what its constituent groups want as it can by hook or by crook, and if they have to go full fascist so be it

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Gee, it's not like they can use that money on things that need it or something, that'd just be like those tax and spend democrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JT Jag posted:

Gee, it's not like they can use that money on things that need it or something, that'd just be like those tax and spend democrats
Can't use anything that has the tax blood of innocents on it.

• Locked thread