Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

rovert posted:

If he was racist I wouldn't associate with him end of story.

You don't have to be conservative or shithead to realise or feel that how "social justice warriors" act and impose their will on people is bullying/cyberbullying, censorship, impractical to real life etc. The whole season of South Park has been about sending that up. It is ripe for parody as they don't pick their battles and have no sense of proportion.

Keeping it in the realm of Wrestling this year the Strouds, Mathesons etc have shown what they are and their numerous hypocrisies to the point they've given up beefing with Voices of Wrestling and other sites. Uproxx has dropped the feminist tilt it had in favour of doing dumb stories about Eva Marie and exploiting Chyna's latest episode.

You're a parody of yourself

EDIT: I mean I'm not going to police your relationships, you're a stranger to me so I don't give a gently caress if you're friendly with racists or not, but don't pretend that you associating with him is the benchmark we should judge racism against rather than, you know, his long history of saying or approvingly quoting lowkey racist bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I made the same point the other day that wrestling is not only an incredibly scummy real-life business, but also a fictional world that fundamentally operates on a morally repugnant "might makes right" philosophy, and as such is kind of inherently offensive, and it seems a little funny to complain about social justice issues in that context. But I also made the caveat that, as a white, straight, cis male, it's really easy for me to say that, as none of the horrible portrayals of minority groups really affect me on a personal level. That capability for self-awareness, self-reflection and acknowledgement of one's own privilege is what separates a decent person from a Joe Lanza.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 26, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alain Post posted:

from the Stone Cold podcast, what chants need to die more, "What", or "this is awesome"

The What!?! chant is awesome when a wrestler uses it or is good enough to negate it/turn it around - it engages the crowd either from a babyface or heel standpoint and builds the atmosphere of the show. The trouble is that most of the wrestlers nowadays have had any improv skills or the ability (or permission) to interact burned out of them by the relentless scripting/control freak nature of the show.

If the crowd needs to entertain themselves with WHAT!?! chants then it means the show isn't doing a good enough job of entertaining them, and if the chant didn't exist then they'd just be chanting something else/doing a wave/sitting bored on their hands doing nothing. It's a symptom, not the disease.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jerusalem posted:

If the crowd needs to entertain themselves with WHAT!?! chants then it means the show isn't doing a good enough job of entertaining them, and if the chant didn't exist then they'd just be chanting something else/doing a wave/sitting bored on their hands doing nothing. It's a symptom, not the disease.

what's funny is that Stone Cold/Wade are saying the same thing about the "this is awesome" chants, that if the crowd is doing that because they like the workrate/finisher kickouts/flippy moves, or whatever, it's because the wrestlers aren't telling a good-enough story to get them emotionally involved in the match

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

rovert posted:

Actually there's different readings of this season. But that's a different topic.

Applying today's values to 80's Wrestling or current Wrestling can be a source of amusement. I don't get the upset. As Wrestling is so big, dumb and vulgar.

And all the non-wrestling stuff I mentioned?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I think it's important to view the ways different media (wrestling included) fail on a sociocultural level because it helps us understand the ways that people parse and justify those terrible things so we can learn.

There is something about wrestling in that I keep watching even though it constantly disappoints me in ways like that and I feel like fans are becoming more capable of introspection by seeing that poo poo unleaded and aagh what the gently caress am I doing arguing with someone who likes South Park.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I like wrestling even when it's offensive, I mean gently caress my avatar on here is a pic of a massively racist angle, and yeah I wish it was a whole lot better better about race and gender and all the rest of it. But for me there's a difference between a company or an industry that has lots of bigoted aspects and a particular individual being outright bigoted themselves. Maybe that's a justification I came up with to make myself feel better, I dunno, but this conversation was originally less about wrestling as a whole and more about one particular shithead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i mean there's currently very little between the super-popular act New Day and everyone's favorite racist dancing black man gimmick.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

You're a parody of yourself

EDIT: I mean I'm not going to police your relationships, you're a stranger to me so I don't give a gently caress if you're friendly with racists or not, but don't pretend that you associating with him is the benchmark we should judge racism against rather than, you know, his long history of saying or approvingly quoting lowkey racist bullshit

That's a whole lot of reading into what I said there, Chief. What I said is pretty clearly stated. Doesn't need a from out of nowhere in interpretation.

Zero clue on how I being a parody either.

Spermgod posted:

I made the same point the other day that wrestling is not only an incredibly scummy real-life business, but also a fictional world that fundamentally operates on a morally repugnant "might makes right" philosophy, and as such is kind of inherently offensive, and it seems a little funny to complain about social justice issues in that context. But I also made the caveat that, as a white, straight, cis male, it's really easy for me to say that, as none of the horrible portrayals of minority groups really affect me on a personal level. That capability for self-awareness, self-reflection and acknowledgement of one's own privilege is what separates a decent person from a Joe Lanza.

These posts get weirder. Joe sticks up for Ru Gunn something fierce when she gets attacked by sexist knuckle draggers. You seem to desperately want him to be someone that he really isn't from my experience at least.

Electric Lady posted:

I think it's important to view the ways different media (wrestling included) fail on a sociocultural level because it helps us understand the ways that people parse and justify those terrible things so we can learn.

Ru Gunn's Smackdown review on Voices of Wrestling does a great job covering this aspect of Wrestling. As does her other reviews when she does them.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

Electric Lady posted:

That's a good point but I think a lot of people come at it from the angle of "fix these things, wrestling" and I kind of don't want them to be fixed. I enjoy the fact that wrestling is the last holdout of poor taste, not because of any stupid rear end anti-PC/SJW crusader bullshit but because it's loving wrestling and a huge part of the fun of it is the voyeuristic thrill of laughing at these scumbag carnies doing scumbag carny things.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I like wrestling even when it's offensive, I mean gently caress my avatar on here is a pic of a massively racist angle, and yeah I wish it was a whole lot better better about race and gender and all the rest of it. But for me there's a difference between a company or an industry that has lots of bigoted aspects and a particular individual being outright bigoted themselves. Maybe that's a justification I came up with to make myself feel better, I dunno, but this conversation was originally less about wrestling as a whole and more about one particular shithead

Joe isn't a bigot though he doesn't censor his writers or goes after people like Uproxx crew has in the past.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

rovert posted:

You don't have to be conservative or shithead to realise or feel that how "skeleton warriors" act and impose their will on people is bullying/cyberbullying, censorship, impractical to real life etc. The whole season of South Park has been about sending that up. It is ripe for parody as they don't pick their battles and have no sense of proportion.

jesus loving christ

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I can guarantee you that Ru Gunn thinks the Joe tweet that started this discussion was stupid as gently caress if that means anything to you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly Stroud/Uproxx crew really have no leg to stand on after their approach to the whole "Give divas a chance" thing in the past was apparently to be huge shitheels to the women who weren't part of the NXT group of approved good workers.

seriously I love it when people have pretenses of being nice progressive wrestling fans and then go on about how the Bellas are talentless whores who only get pushed because of who they gently caress (i'm not talking about anyone here)

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

rovert posted:

That's a whole lot of reading into what I said there, Chief. What I said is pretty clearly stated. Doesn't need a from out of nowhere in interpretation.

You said if he was racist you wouldn't associate with him as a counterargument to my calling him racist. But it's meaningless. Maybe he is and you didn't realise, maybe he is and you're willing to ignore it, maybe he is but the power of "racist" as a Bad Word that signifies Bad People means that you'd get defensive about it regardless. I'm not actually accusing you in particular of any of this, but it's what of seen from many people over the years who've said something similar about one of their racist friends.

His racism has pretty much zero connection with whether or not you associate with him, you could really truly believe what you said but that does not in any way disprove his racism. Unless you've actually got a reason why what I talked about earlier doesn't matter, what you said is utterly irrelevant.

rovert posted:

Joe isn't a bigot though he doesn't censor his writers or goes after people like Uproxx crew has in the past.

I don't give a gently caress about Uproxx, they're terrible writers and hypocritical faux-progresseives. Uproxx has nothing to do with anything I said, and unless you're going to actually address this:

quote:

Huge fan of Actual White Supremacist Gavin McInnes and Anthony "too racist for satellite radio" Cumia, admirer of heroic cops in their struggle against protestors rioters and looters, accused a Muslim teenager of deliberately getting himself arrested by bringing a clock to school, constantly complaining about political correctness, just because he doesn't actually use the n-word or wear a white hood doesn't mean he's not "functionally racist" as Spermgod put it.

nothing you've said so far actually makes Lanza look any better

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 26, 2015

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Alain Post posted:

honestly Stroud/Uproxx crew really have no leg to stand on after their approach to the whole "Give divas a chance" thing in the past was apparently to be huge shitheels to the women who weren't part of the NXT group of approved good workers.

seriously I love it when people have pretenses of being nice progressive wrestling fans and then go on about how the Bellas are talentless whores who only get pushed because of who they gently caress (i'm not talking about anyone here)

Brandon has said some really awful and dismissives things about women that people here and elsewhere would jump on Lanza or whomever for.

Spermgod posted:

I can guarantee you that Ru Gunn thinks the Joe tweet that started this discussion was stupid as gently caress if that means anything to you.

If she does she'll most likely say it. Unlike the people who remained silent when Stroud repeatedly booked/worked with Teddy Hart in INSPIRE Pro. The same group of people went fully bore after Colt Cabana after the rape chant incident in Beyond.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

nothing you've said so far actually makes Lanza look any better

I regularly listen to people I don't share the same opinions of.

rovert fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 26, 2015

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Spermgod posted:

That's a good point but I think a lot of people come at it from the angle of "fix these things, wrestling" and I kind of don't want them to be fixed. I enjoy the fact that wrestling is the last holdout of poor taste, not because of any stupid rear end anti-PC/SJW crusader bullshit but because it's loving wrestling and a huge part of the fun of it is the voyeuristic thrill of laughing at these scumbag carnies doing scumbag carny things.

You nailed it far better than I ever could have. Most of my fun watching wrestling the past few months has been watching TNA die and watching WWE flounder because neither of them know how to connect with an audience. The failure of the Divas Revolution is one extreme (it was never meant to succeed) and TNA's failures are another entirely where Billy Corgan claims to care about poo poo but that company remains carny as gently caress and.treats their workers even worse.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TIL if Dave eats 1 slice of pizza he will end up eating 15.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

rovert posted:

I regularly listen to people I don't share the same opinions of.

Me too, and as I said their podcast is often interesting, but you've gone from "he's definitely not racist and if he was I wouldn't have anything to do with him" to "I don't agree with him but listen anyway"

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Me too, and as I said their podcast is often interesting, but you've gone from "he's definitely not racist and if he was I wouldn't have anything to do with him" to "I don't agree with him but listen anyway"

I haven't actually I just replied to a specific post you made. Also don't invent quotes to create a narrative about me. Thanks.

A post like this is normally followed by someone in your position quoting my prior posts out of context. Please don't do that either.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Best way to listen to the VOW podcast is with your finger on fast forward so you can skip not just the whining about how people complain if you're offensive to minorities now, but also the constant Tinder "broads" talk, tedious rants about psychology aimed at nebulous Wrestling Twitter strawmen, baseball chat, etc.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

rovert posted:

I haven't actually I just replied to a specific post you made. Also don't invent quotes to create a narrative about me. Thanks.

A post like this is normally followed by someone in your position quoting my prior posts out of context. Please don't do that either.

It's kind of funny that someone who's been meticulously avoiding direct questions and bringing unrelated people into an argument as a clumsy attempt at deflection is accusing anyone else of arguing in bad faith, but whatever. I'll leave it there.

Spermgod posted:

Best way to listen to the VOW podcast is with your finger on fast forward so you can skip not just the whining about how people complain if you're offensive to minorities now, but also the constant Tinder "broads" talk, tedious rants about psychology aimed at nebulous Wrestling Twitter strawmen, baseball chat, etc.

Yeah definitely, but if I'm going to have to put that much effort into listening to a podcast I'd rather just listen to something else. We Hate Movies is good.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Swagger Dagger posted:

TIL if Dave eats 1 slice of pizza he will end up eating 15.

Well he's only human.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It's kind of funny that someone who's been meticulously avoiding direct questions and bringing unrelated people into an argument as a clumsy attempt at deflection is accusing anyone else of arguing in bad faith, but whatever. I'll leave it there.

I am not from America. Most of the references you are making are things I've only vaguely heard about. I'd be silly to comment on it. I stated from the outset I was talking from my experience. I wasn't deflecting either most of the anti-VOW comes from that Uproxx clique.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

rovert posted:

I am not from America. Most of the references you are making are things I've only vaguely heard about. I'd be silly to comment on it. I stated from the outset I was talking from my experience. I wasn't deflecting either most of the anti-VOW comes from that Uproxx clique.

Considering I never once brought up Uproxx except disparagingly, and made specific concrete accusations, perhaps bringing up Uproxx for no reason when you don't even understand the accusations isn't the best approach to the discussion

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

rovert posted:

The whole season of South Park has been about sending that up.

ah yeah the show ran by libertarians who consider anything that clashes with their apathetic worldview to be irrational and stupid, truly where i look to develop my own personal politics. makes u think

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 26, 2015

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Cardboard Box posted:

ah yeah the show ran by libertarians who consider anything that clashes with their apathetic worldview to be stupid, truly where i look to develop my own personal politics. makes u think

I saw that Reddit post doing the rounds on social media too, Cardboard Box: https://twitter.com/thumbcramps/status/669605498572943360 . I didn't say it was particularly deep or something people should base their personal politics around. If I thought that way I would clearly state it.

Just I don't know why Joe's tweet would set someone off that they would cross post it here.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

to be fair to myself i thought that about south park way before that reddit post made the rounds

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Cardboard Box posted:

to be fair to myself i thought that about south park way before that reddit post made the rounds

I did too.

Let's go back to directly talking about podcasts. TomWaitsForNoMan and myself have thrashed this out enough.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

fair enough

can anyone say if the latest lance storm shows on f4w have been worth listening to at all? i haven't kept up with them in a while

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I want to hang out with Dave eating pizza and watching old wrestling tapes

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I'm a first time subscriber to WOR and Dave is way less rambly and tough to listen to than I thought he'd be. Granted I'm only listening to the post SS edition so maybe he's more on point with a big show to discuss?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Alain Post posted:

from the Stone Cold podcast, what chants need to die more, "What", or "this is awesome"

Jerusalem posted:

The What!?! chant is awesome when a wrestler uses it or is good enough to negate it/turn it around - it engages the crowd either from a babyface or heel standpoint and builds the atmosphere of the show. The trouble is that most of the wrestlers nowadays have had any improv skills or the ability (or permission) to interact burned out of them by the relentless scripting/control freak nature of the show.

What chants, apart from what was said before, mean the performer has to vary their drat cadence. But like you said, most don't know how to react, or aren't allowed to react to shut down the chants.

I really did like their discussion of 'this is awesome' chants. Just enjoy the drat match, don't chant for the abstract concept of an entertaining match. Boo the bad guys, cheer the good guys, don't instantly forgive all trespasses.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Bryan Alvarez was on Mat Man to discuss the current state of WWE. Pretty interesting watch if you got 30 minutes to kill..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN2wqbQR3c0

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

i love racism but i'm disgusted that someone would associate with rovert

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dave Meltzer mentioned that he really hates racism on WOR and hell, I agree.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've listened to every Austin podcast since the beginning and I don't think I've ever heard him so mad about WWE. Except for some brief praise for NXT and maybe one or two other things, that was like an hour long rant about everything in WWE he hates.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Good on Rovert for coming out in favour of the racists, excited to see where h takes his #brand in the future!

Damned SJW's they ruined SJWLand.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I want to hang out with Dave eating pizza and watching old wrestling tapes

If you're lucky, you'd get to see Bret Hart vs. Tom McGee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The guy on Wade's twitter timeline who compared "this is awesome" to chanting "this is funny" at a standup comic nailed it on the head.

• Locked thread