Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is disconnecting a bluetooth headset device supposed to end an ongoing call? Its done that for me a couple times on my 6P.

Haven't encountered any issues with music continuing after shutting off the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

Did Moto drop the "what's up?" command from Moto Voice? I tried it the other day and it just did a Google search.

No, it's probably just a glitch. Happens to me sometimes too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Require More Fire posted:

Same, plus the thing where you're listening to Audio App A, turn off the car, turn it back on, and Audio App B starts playing, even though you haven't used B for like a week.

Android has always been weird with bluetooth.

Ever since I got my Moto 360, my phone will sometimes forget how to resume my podcasts. I'll be listening at work, pause it for five minutes, go out to my car and pair the phone to my bluetooth adapter, hit play on the adapter and nothing happens, even though Beyondpod is still chilling in my notification bar.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0146TGEKU?keywords=high%20performance%20sd%20card%20104&qid=1448476156&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Would that be a good SD card for using in my Xperia Z3 Compact? Marshmallow allows combined memory but my current SD card performs too slowly for me to use the SD card for apps too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Ever since I got my Moto 360, my phone will sometimes forget how to resume my podcasts. I'll be listening at work, pause it for five minutes, go out to my car and pair the phone to my bluetooth adapter, hit play on the adapter and nothing happens, even though Beyondpod is still chilling in my notification bar.

This happens to me every single time I switch from wired headphones to my car's bluetooth, and I have to swipe BeyondPod from the recent apps list. I've emailed them at least three times and haven't heard back. It's very frustrating that they won't even respond.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

hooah posted:

This happens to me every single time I switch from wired headphones to my car's bluetooth, and I have to swipe BeyondPod from the recent apps list. I've emailed them at least three times and haven't heard back. It's very frustrating that they won't even respond.

It's not just Pocket Casts that does this, then.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Really the whole Bluetooth and multiple audio playback apps and remotely being able to play/pause via other apps (think drive mode apps) or via bluetooth on Android is just a shitshow.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Thermopyle posted:

bluetooth on Android is just a shitshow.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
:lol: As if to drive the point home, I got in my car to run out for coffee and started a podcast with PocketCasts. An ad came up a few minutes in so I press the 'forward' button on my car stereo to skip ahead - as I often do - and instead of skipping 30 seconds ahead it opened up Play Music and started a track. That's a new one.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

My biggest gripe about android bluetooth and the car is that play music stays open on my phone when I get out of the car. It doesn't play music or anything, just still shows on the pulldown and paused.

I think that these issues are the phone's software and the car's software being lovely.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

My biggest gripe about android bluetooth and the car is that play music stays open on my phone when I get out of the car. It doesn't play music or anything, just still shows on the pulldown and paused.

I think that these issues are the phone's software and the car's software being lovely.

I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with Bluetooth and is just Play Music being obnoxious. What if you want to continue playing your song, whatever will you do!?!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I think the app staying open is what is supposed to happen? I mean, I certainly wouldn't expect my media app to disappear from the notifications when I paused the music.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

and if it bugs you so much, use an automation app to kill it when you disconnect from bluetooth. The app is doing exactly what it should do.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
The intent handling on Android has been garbage for as long as I've had Android devices, probably forever. It can be 99% eliminated with a couple root apps, though.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0146TGEKU?keywords=high%20performance%20sd%20card%20104&qid=1448476156&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Would that be a good SD card for using in my Xperia Z3 Compact? Marshmallow allows combined memory but my current SD card performs too slowly for me to use the SD card for apps too.

That is a full size SD Card,so no.

I always get SanDisk, unless a Samsung is cheaper. A pro series would probably be best for apps, I think:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00NUB3530/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1448494655&sr=8-2&pi=SL75&keywords=sandisk+extreme+pro+64gb

Obligatory :goonsay:

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

I have a semi-annoying problem. I tried googling but came up empty.

I bought a 6P and I'm liking it a lot, but it doesn't reconnect to LTE or 3G as quickly as my 2013 Moto X did. I commute via subway and I'd get decent service on the Moto X basically at each stop, but now the 6P won't reconnect after it loses a connection for 10+ minutes. The same thing happens when I go into an elevator. If I pop into airplane mode and back out it seems to reconnect reasonably quickly, but that's annoying. What's the deal with this, and is it something I can fix? I'm on Verizon.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So my cracked but functional screen on my Nexus 5 finally became a cracked and non-functional screen today so I'll be going out today to grab a new 5x.

Question, is there any way to access my media on a PC with no ability to use the screen? In other words, is there any way to change the charging type from "Charging" to "MTC device for file transfer" or whatever the option is.

If not, how can I get the stuff of my phone?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xcore posted:

So my cracked but functional screen on my Nexus 5 finally became a cracked and non-functional screen today so I'll be going out today to grab a new 5x.

Question, is there any way to access my media on a PC with no ability to use the screen? In other words, is there any way to change the charging type from "Charging" to "MTC device for file transfer" or whatever the option is.

Does the screen turn on and do you have adb debugging turned on already? If yes you could probably use adb commands to simulate screen touching.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the screen is on and it charges fine. Not sure whether I have debugging enabled. Whats ADB commands? I'll give it a try

Edit: Wow, that looks really complicated. I'm not even sure I have it enabled as I don't remember ever tapping "Build Number" 7 times to display the option to enable it.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 26, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

How is that a bad thing?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's preferable for me, as it makes it that much easier to start it up on my headset afterwards.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

DemonMage posted:

It's preferable for me, as it makes it that much easier to start it up on my headset afterwards.
I agree. But he's complaining, so I want to know why he thinks its a bad thing.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

I've done some Google-Fu and it appears an OTG cable might be my solution and from what I've read, the Nexus 5 supports OTG without the need for root/developer mode.

When searching for somewhere that sells an OTG cable, i found this.
http://cplonline.com.au/mbeat-micro-otg-reader.html

Will this work? I figure I can connect that to the phone, plug in a mouse to control it and transfer the media from the phone to an SD card plugged into the side.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ilkhan posted:

I agree. But he's complaining, so I want to know why he thinks its a bad thing.

I think it's a case of "people who keep listening to their music on their headset after they get out of their car" vs "people who only listen to music while driving"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just bought 6 Moto E (latest version) phones for $10 each from Best Buy in 3 separate orders. They're Verizon pre-paid models but can be easily modded to work on GSM carriers. Hooray for Black Friday. I hope none of the orders get cancelled though :ohdear:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Chalk up another victim of the "Android bluetooth and resuming playback in cars is a shitshow" with my Z1. Wonder if it'll be fixed with the Z5P I'm looking to buy in a couple of weeks...

of course it won't

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Is there any reason not to get a Galaxy S6 over a X Pure or a 5X?

I know in the US the usual answer is "price", but in Europe the S6 is 30€ cheaper than the X Pure and 60€ than the 5X, and seems to have overall better specs and camera :(

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cable posted:

I know in the US the usual answer is "price", but in Europe the S6 is 30€ cheaper than the X Pure and 60€ than the 5X, and seems to have overall better specs and camera :(
As always the main reasons to get a Nexus are stock OS and update speed. The fingerprint reader is also better. Up to you.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are there any apps or tools to tether my phone to my Nexus 10 so I can send SMS via the Nexus 10?

(cracked screen on Nexus 5 so I'm unable to unlock/use it)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a good tablet anymore?
I really love my nexus 7 (2013) for the form factor, but I'm guessing phablets have taken over the 7" market. Is the nexus 10 the current best?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

deong posted:

Is there a good tablet anymore?
I really love my nexus 7 (2013) for the form factor, but I'm guessing phablets have taken over the 7" market. Is the nexus 10 the current best?

Have a look at the nVidia Shield Tablet K1. Its screen is an inch bigger than the N7 but it's mostly offset by smaller bezels, runs near-stock Android and is only $200.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
For the last few days something has been turning on my phones screen every 5-10 seconds when it's charging. How can I figure out what's doing it?

Edit: Ran logcat while it woke, no idea what I'm looking for. snippet

Ashex fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 26, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ashex posted:

For the last few days something has been turning on my phones screen every 5-10 seconds when it's charging. How can I figure out what's doing it?

code:
ActivityManager: Scheduling restart of crashed service com.google.android.GoogleCamera/com.android.camera.NoOpPrewarmService in 1000ms
Maybe this? Shows up 7 times in your log at ~10 second intervals.

Are you running a custom ROM with a hacked together camera driver?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

repiv posted:

code:
ActivityManager: Scheduling restart of crashed service com.google.android.GoogleCamera/com.android.camera.NoOpPrewarmService in 1000ms
Maybe this? Shows up 7 times in your log at ~10 second intervals.

Are you running a custom ROM with a hacked together camera driver?

Nope, I'm running stock with Xposed. Only module I'm using is Snapprefs too :/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

It looks like a bad cable is saying the phone is intermittently connected to power. Look around lines 1000-1100 and you'll see the charge state change from charging to not and the display turn on accordingly.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Ashex posted:

Nope, I'm running stock with Xposed. Only module I'm using is Snapprefs too :/

Well you probably shouldn't rule out a Snapchat based module crashing your camera service.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cable posted:

I can tell you the S6 is probably the worst android phone I've ever owned. Samsung has managed to take what should be a very fast hardware platform and turn it into a stuttering laggy mess. Total pile of poo poo that I dumped as soon as the 6P was released. It's like a night and day difference between the two in terms of performance.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Shadowgate posted:

I can tell you the S6 is probably the worst android phone I've ever owned. Samsung has managed to take what should be a very fast hardware platform and turn it into a stuttering laggy mess. Total pile of poo poo that I dumped as soon as the 6P was released. It's like a night and day difference between the two in terms of performance.

I hope there's truth to this rumour: http://www.sammobile.com/2015/11/25/crazy-rumor-google-to-help-samsung-optimize-touchwiz/

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Google has to do something, it paints android in such a bad light since the S6 is supposed to be one of the android flagship phones. If I didn't know better I would have assumed android was just a lovely unoptimized platform. It's not exactly the experience you want people to have, especially if they are coming over from a competitors platform.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Shadowgate posted:

Google has to do something, it paints android in such a bad light since the S6 is supposed to be one of the android flagship phones. If I didn't know better I would have assumed android was just a lovely unoptimized platform. It's not exactly the experience you want people to have, especially if they are coming over from a competitors platform.

Exactly. Regardless of people's feelings about Touchwiz, it's often what they picture first when they hear "android", they definitely don't think of a Nexus phone. Google's gotta do something fast about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah my iPhone using brother was "Android curious" and got a 6 edge and quickly returned it. He's now safely back in Apple's corner.

He knew my love for stock and is phone savvy but also a bit of an idiot who never does what I say he should do.