Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Samba De Amigo posted:

THM's 26 skill, swiftcast, is used by every caster class. So probably THM.

I'd have said CNJ since every class can make use of Cure/Protect til level 30. Or ARC because Raging Strikes is really nice and I wish more of my classes had access to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd have said CNJ since every class can make use of Cure/Protect til level 30. Or ARC because Raging Strikes is really nice and I wish more of my classes had access to it.

Yeah, but Conjurer has both of those by 8, and Archer has Raging Strikes at 4. That's not really leveling a class first, that's barely leveling at all.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
You can get Raging Strikes in like 5 minutes tops if you have Armoury Bonus. It's worth snatching for most DPS classes, even if you're just gonna equip it to 30 until you get your Job.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
How is ARF still not in a Duty Roulette? This baffles me. I understand "it doesn't drop gear" but how hard is that to fix? Hell I don't understand why it didn't drop gear in the first place either.

ARF is weird.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

armoredgorilla posted:

How is ARF still not in a Duty Roulette? This baffles me. I understand "it doesn't drop gear" but how hard is that to fix? Hell I don't understand why it didn't drop gear in the first place either.

ARF is weird.

I love ARF and I wish it gave me Esoterics. At least to cap me once I have less than EXDR worth remaining. The final boss is so great :allears: It's such a waste if they do not reuse those mechanics/map at some point.

Also, linking this since no one has done it yet. I imagine this will cause some stirring: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3u9i0r/closed_alpha_ffxiv_addons_framework_testers/

What I'm actually most worried about is extensive data reading from the client forcing SQE's hand to keep platform parity intact.

edit: I know as much, SQE isn't doing any sort of detection (they don't have the tools for it), if anything is happening it's just downright watching/analyzing what a player has done, and that only happens from reports. And while I'm supportive of stuff that helps present data in a more helpful way by all means, I am kind of afraid of this kind of rabbit hole and what it may lead to. Not least because of running .exe's from an unreliable source.

I would like to point out that I used addons extensively in WoW and I use ACT for tracking a few abilities, so I'm not being reactionary here.
|
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 26, 2015

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Dessel posted:

I love ARF and I wish it gave me Esoterics. At least to cap me once I have less than EXDR worth remaining. The final boss is so great :allears: It's such a waste if they do not reuse those mechanics/map at some point.

Also, linking this since no one has done it yet. I imagine this will cause some stirring: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3u9i0r/closed_alpha_ffxiv_addons_framework_testers/

What I'm actually most worried about is extensive data reading from the client forcing SQE's hand to keep platform parity intact.

I don't think they actually have any sort of anticheat in this game - cheating forums all talk about how incredibly easy it is to hack in it, and the number of still unbanned mining bots (5 months and counting now) implies they either can't detect them or just don't care.

The only bots i've ever seen banned are the blatent poshacking gibberish-name BLMs that spam spiritbonding in dungeons.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
There is absolutely no client side detection in this game, the only times I have witnessed legit players banned is when they brag in game, and its only a temp ban.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Catgirl /sundropdance is the most disappointing loving thing.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Seems like they copied Haka, so only the male characters move their bodies I guess?
http://fat.gfycat.com/FreshSpanishJumpingbean.webm

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Thundarr posted:

The price of anime waifus was too high.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Thundarr posted:

On the bright side, when the machines take over you'll have a surefire way to blend in with them.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

nuru posted:

Seems like they copied Haka, so only the male characters move their bodies I guess?

Yeah, all female characters are so wooden when doing that dance.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LordNat posted:

They also do a great job of teaching the game so that when you get to end game content you know how to play your class and do mechanics.

I don't know if you've ever played this game at max level but I assure you that the vast majority of players have not learned either.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Eej posted:

I don't know if you've ever played this game at max level but I assure you that the vast majority of players have not learned either.

I forgot the /s on my post sorry.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Eej posted:

I still maintain that I will take XIV pubbies any day over WoW ones. The game is horrible at teaching dps to do good damage, but other than that pubs can at least faceroll through stuff at a higher competency than most other games.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

I still maintain that I will take XIV pubbies any day over WoW ones. The game is horrible at teaching dps to do good damage, but other than that pubs can at least faceroll through stuff at a higher competency than most other games.

The average ffxiv player would get stuck on silver proving grounds. WOW players might be convinced they're great at the game but ffxiv players embrace being mediocre like a point of pride.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Skaw posted:

Yeah that's how the Haka is. Women do a different version that is very stiff.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

megalodong posted:

The average ffxiv player would get stuck on silver proving grounds. WOW players might be convinced they're great at the game but ffxiv players embrace being mediocre like a point of pride.

This but it's actually an understatement. You will get kicked from duties for daring to dps as healer if the tank stands in every aoe and then sees you had cleric stance on when he over pulled and popped nothing. You should have healed more.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Belzac posted:

This but it's actually an understatement. You will get kicked from duties for daring to dps as healer if the tank stands in every aoe and then sees you had cleric stance on when he over pulled and popped nothing. You should have healed more.

I went 25 seconds in between heals from a Scholar in Void Ark the other day. After we wiped, the Scholar insisted my strength accessories were why I died, rather than the complete lack of healing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Belzac posted:

It loving blows my mind how much people will be like "We can do stuff if we just BELIEVE!"

WhaleDad EX was a shining example of this. Sure, the DPS could only get the carapace to 30% this first rotation and after five times they still fail to get below that point, BUT WE CAN DO IT! WE MUST KEEP TRYING!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have a friend who wants to play. I advised him to do the trial first, but apparently his email is tied to when he did the closed beta for ARR. Is it worth keeping the account around, or should I tell him to create a new account on a different email?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Hey Blame Selene and TPT, Lycelle wanted me to pass on to all of you that they're alive and returning soon :3:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

And it's borne out by the game, too. Just went back and re-watched the cutscenes, it's quite obvious when you're looking for it that Linu Vali is doing a stiff-legged female version.

Dunno why it looks so much more fluid when the NPC does it, though.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 26, 2015

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Niton posted:

I went 25 seconds in between heals from a Scholar in Void Ark the other day. After we wiped, the Scholar insisted my strength accessories were why I died, rather than the complete lack of healing.

My first Void Ark this week was a scholar screaming at another scholar in broken english for "pretending to be a summoner"

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Skaw posted:

Meanwhile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4VUKeB0vYE

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

nuru posted:

hi mom

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Reiterpallasch posted:

just bane and painflare instead of fester, and hope the rest of your static has spell effects off

This is a Bad Idea if you're aiming to score a high record on fflogs. The actual ranking only takes into account the single target dps on Faust.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Belzac posted:

Ewwww, this. Had a tank in Vault the other day who was broke LoS on a couple of MASSIVE trash pulls, spread the dimension holes all around the arena on the second boss, ate every single horse rush on the last boss (there was also one instance of a chain staying on way too long between the tank and the one clueless DPS, but that's a shared fuckup), and was snipping at me constantly for "not healing enough" when blowing all of my cooldowns was insufficient. 0 Commendations. :mad:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Are there any guides on how to handle a healing job with a controller? I'm pretty tempted to dip back into FF14 with the new patch and level AST, and somehow the controllers looks... daunting. For healing.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
step 1: purchase a usb keyboard and mouse at any major retailer
step 2: plug it into your PlayStation(TM) 4

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I never used to have problems with lovely tanks as a healer before Heavensward but now I've been running into just constant absolute fuckups who will then, of course, blame me for their own failings because they will have done something it's literally impossible to heal through without them using cooldowns/wearing more Vit/not standing in AOEs/not letting the biggest mob hit them in the back constantly. I mean, I'd get bad tanks, sure, but they wouldn't blame the healer for their own failings.

I actually had a guy in DD yell at me for doing DPS when the real reason he had died was that he had broke LOS for a full minute by literally sprinting down the final tunnel before the last boss and pulling all the mobs when I hadn't even made it up that little ramp yet.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
cleric stance is an easy target to avoid acknowledging your own failures

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Magical. :magical:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

Patch 3.2: "We've lowered the base success rate of hasty touch to 40%"

Goons ITT: "Finally, now crafting will be FUN!"

literally shaking please dont trigger me

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Belzac posted:

No you won't this is a dumbass goon overreaction

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My girlfriend started playing like two days ago and decided to roll a healer. She hasn't played a single MMO besides Maplestory like 7 years ago and she got the concept of healing and also doing damage when not healing. I have no idea why pubbies have such a hard time with it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So I'm trying to install on a new PC. Is there a separate download for HW?

edit: neat it automatically does it

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 26, 2015

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

ArtIsResistance posted:

No you won't this is a dumbass goon overreaction

It's an overreaction to expect it to happen with most groups, but if you're a healer using Cleric Stance regularly you will eventually run into players who get salty when they see you using it. Whether it's tanks who don't pop cooldowns and stand in AoEs, or DPS that tunnel vision and don't deal with mechanics (or my personal favorite, a DPS who is parsing who gets livid when they see you doing more damage than them during trash pulls), if that person sees you in Cleric Stance they'll be quick to put blame on you instead of admitting they messed up. Yes, in the worst cases it may lead to you being vote dismissed if you ended up queuing into a group full of such people.

Hell, I've been vote dismissed from groups for using Cleric Stance even when nobody has gotten killed during a run.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

It's an overreaction to expect it to happen with most groups, but if you're a healer using Cleric Stance regularly you will eventually run into players who get salty when they see you using it. Whether it's tanks who don't pop cooldowns and stand in AoEs, or DPS that tunnel vision and don't deal with mechanics (or my personal favorite, a DPS who is parsing who gets livid when they see you doing more damage than them during trash pulls), if that person sees you in Cleric Stance they'll be quick to put blame on you instead of admitting they messed up. Yes, in the worst cases it may lead to you being vote dismissed if you ended up queuing into a group full of such people.

Hell, I've been vote dismissed from groups for using Cleric Stance even when nobody has gotten killed during a run.

Someone is salty at me :qq:

Grow some fuckin' skin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I always played on a major short-bus server, and I've never even seen most of that against healers. lovely players all around, yeah, but none that ever said anything about cleric stance.

When I was looking into the game and saw that not only can healers do damage while in the healer role, at times they're expected to, it was the main reason I wanted to try the game*. Before the talent overhaul I could heal most WoW content on an Elemental shaman and achieve a similar effect, but I was getting pretty sick of the game by then.

*The second reason was that I could blast fools with Holy. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread