Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Beens posted:

There is a synopsis up on the BBC website for the Xmas special, and apparently River doesn't know who the Doctor is for a part of the episode.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34910646

It's been 10 years since Little Britain and I still can't help but do a bit of a double-take at Matt Lucas's invisible eyebrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

cargohills posted:

I like River, and I like Peter Capaldi. I'm looking forward to Christmas.

She's ok in moderation and other than Big Finish audios this is likely to be her last appearance for a while I was lead to believe.

thrawn527 posted:

This. Hoping it's a bit lighter than the rest of this season has been.

Why would you want that?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Senor Tron posted:

And so Doctor Who and Rick and Morty collide even further.

"It's just Doc and Clara, Doc and Clara and their adventures, Clara! Doc and Clara forever and forever a hundred years Docs' and Clara's...things! Me, and Doc and Clara running around and...Doc and Clara time, all day long forever, all-a hundred days, Doc and Clara forever a hundred times. Over and over, docandclaraadventures dot com..."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hmm...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

If this is anything more than Capaldi loving around in the Doctor Who Experience or something, I will be more excited about whatever it is than the 10/Donna audios, War Doctor, or anything else I've heard in the past few months.

:swoon:

EDIT: OH gently caress THE SONIC SUNGLASSES ARE ON THE loving CONSOLE IT'S REAL OMFGASJDFKLJASDFKJASFSADFLKJASDF!!!!!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
THE ROUND THINGS

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I LOVE THE ROUND THINGS

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:allears:

Also, can we just have a Two Doctors episode with 8 and 12 already? I thought that was going to happen this season.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Where is that image from?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Twitter. Supposedly Den of Geek has their review copy of the finale, and a few stills they took leaked. There's a few others floating around, including the supposed new sonic screwdriver.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

:swoon:

I'm in love.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

I LOVE THE ROUND THINGS

What even are the round things?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

jivjov posted:

What even are the round things?

Roundels :colbert:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Is that loving Susan?

What do we reckon, flashback scene showing Capaldi in the place of the first Doctor?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Senor Tron posted:

Is that loving Susan?

What do we reckon, flashback scene showing Capaldi in the place of the first Doctor?

I thought it looked like Clara, but I could be wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah it's Clara, she's wearing the outfit she wore in Raven.

Apparently there are pics out of a new sonic screwdriver. I might bow out of this thread until the finale is over.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently there are pics out of a new sonic screwdriver. I might bow out of this thread until the finale is over.

It's a nice looking sonic. Also Juliet Landau is a nice surprise.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Someone post the sonic, I can't find it for whatever reason.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GonSmithe posted:

Someone post the sonic, I can't find it for whatever reason.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

PriorMarcus posted:

It's a nice looking sonic. Also Juliet Landau is a nice surprise.

This is just a big finish joke right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fixed. ;)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Getting to work on that thing was definitely a life highlight.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

echoplex posted:

God I hope that is the new TARDIS for a while

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

echoplex posted:

So it wasn't just a repurpose of the Adventure in Space and Time set?

Also will we see the Food Machine?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't think this is a really valid complaint anymore. River hasn't appeared since the end of Matt Smith's run, and according to what little we've heard this sounds like a swansong for her. The paternoster gang only showed up at the beginning of last season and allegedly won't appear anytime soon. The UNIT crew seems to be the new recurring guests I guess, and now Rigsy has appeared twice.

As usual, this is another thing that was a pattern during RTD's run (and was worse in my opinion) but gets complained about under Moffat because

I always consider it a shame that recurring guest stars have to eventually bow out. Actors aging and stuff, whereas Twelve should ideally be able to hang around with the same characters that Nine did. I think the only way that happens is if it's far back enough that they can get a new lookalike actor, but I don't know if that's happened since I haven't watched any original Who. Or it's someone like Sarah Jane, whose actor comes back many years later.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The only non-Time Lord played by multiple actors is Davros.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: :doh: Forgot about Davros, how could I?

The only lookalikes I remember from the classic series, is when they replaced the, then decased Hartnell, with Richard Hurndall. There were rumours going around about a possible thing using David Bradley, and the other actors from An Adventure in Space & Time as potentially playing those characters in the main series, should it ever feel the need to go back that far.

IIRC, the most they did with returning characters that weren't played by the same actor, but portrayed by a different one, were mostly time lords, and the script would just say or imply that they had undergone a regeneration.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 27, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Loathe as I am to mention it, how do we factor CyberBrig into that?

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Burkion posted:

God I hope that is the new TARDIS for a while
:hellyeah:

It may be the original but if you replaced the buttons and levers with touch screens (not that I would) that control room would now look extremely modern.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Not exactly the same thing, eg. Clara doesn't count even though she was "played" by Briggs/Frank Skinner when she was a dalek.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:eng101:
  • Malpha and Trantis both changed actors between Mission to the Unknown and The Daleks' Masterplan.
  • Chicki in The Macra Terror appeared in two episodes and was played by a different actress in each.
  • Jamie was temporarily played by a different actor in The Mind Robber.
  • Eldrad "regenerated" into a new form played by a different actor.
  • K-9 was voiced by two actors, and his "laryngitis" voice in Destiny of the Daleks was done by a third person. (Interestingly, that story also introduced two other new actors playing recurring characters.)
  • (You could make arguments for Xoanon and Queen Xanxia.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Action Jacktion posted:

• Malpha and Trantis both changed actors between Mission to the Unknown and The Daleks' Masterplan.
  • Chicki in The Macra Terror appeared in two episodes and was played by a different actress in each.
  • K-9 was voiced by two actors, and his "laryngitis" voice in Destiny of the Daleks was done by a third person. (Interestingly, that story also introduced two other new actors playing recurring characters.)

Okay but to be fair, half of those don't actually exist anymore.

........god damnit why is there still Doctor Who media that doesn't exist

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

River's been played by multiple actresses, and she's pretty arguably not a Time Lady.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Burkion posted:

We don't because that never happened.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

River's been played by multiple actresses, and she's pretty arguably not a Time Lady.

Also Amy/Amelia Pond

edit: and rory.

we saw baby rose and mickey in Fathers Day too didn't we?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BSam posted:

Also Amy/Amelia Pond

edit: and rory.

we saw baby rose and mickey in Fathers Day too didn't we?

Also the kid from Human Nature who we later saw as an old man.

edit: Also Billy Shipton from Blink.

The_Doctor posted:

Just checked and yeah, you and Jsor seem to be right.

Hopefully it's not some magic bringing her back to life scene, it would be a nice change for the revival to let a companions death stick.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 27, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Action Jacktion posted:

You're right of course :negative:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Action Jacktion posted:

Chicken pox! :argh:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Reviewers who have already seen the finale give it mostly a mostly positive response, but with some major reservations. As to what those reservations are, I have no clue, but they say it might piss off a lot of people.

Personally, I'm hoping for Clara to regenerate into William Hartnell for maximum fanbase implosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
If she regenerate into Susan, I will be more unreasonably angry at a television show that a rational adult should be.

I'm :corsair:, and been watching/enjoying the show for 40+ years now, since I was a little boodlets, and the Clarification of the show's history/context/background/whatever over the past three years has been irksome.

• Locked thread